“Wonderful Location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hackness
surrey
“Wonderful Location”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I booked one of the courtyard rooms but when I arrived I was upgraded to a room in the main hotel. The room was beautiful and had been recently refurbished and was just right for me.
I had a really excellent meal in the Derwent Restaurant and chose Char-grilled medallions of Fillet with Garlic scented Mash, Carrots and beans finished with
Mushroom and Green Peppercorn Glaze. It was absolutely delicious and there wasn't a scrap of fat on the medallions. I wasn't so keen of the mash preferring the new potatoes.
I chilled in my room but was disturbed by the smells coming from the kithen through my wondow and the noise of said kitchen until about 10.30/11.00. I decided I would try and get a change of room for my second night.
I woke reasonably early and had to keep my window closed because of the breakfast cooking smells. Again there was some noise but not so bad as the previous evening.
I went to reception to ask for a change of room explaining my reasons and the fact that I had originally booked a courtyard room. I told them I was happy to have been upgraded but the room being over the kitchen didn't suit me. I was immediately offered anothe room which was in the courtyard and can say if was again a beautiful room and not noise or smells!
I cannot fault the staff who were very helpful and friendly especially teh receptionist who changed my room.
The grounds and situation of the hotel is fantastic being right in teh country side with it's own extensive lovely grounds complete with a duck pond. Everything is very well kept and cared for.
I have given the hotel a 4 rating only because of the room I first stayed in.

Room Tip: I have put average for noise as room 2 is the one I had which was noisy. The courtyard room was very...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank manu-girl22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked our wedding here back in October for 12/7/2014, at this point the hotel was like a building site due to the renovations taking place to create the new function suite! We were shown all the plans and reassured that everything would be in place in time for our big day, I was quite confident that it would be all ready in time so we decided to book. Over the months we visited the hotel a few times to look at the progress and everything seemed to be on track. We had a few meetings with Joe the manager, who was extremely helpful and friendly. He discussed all our requirements for the day thoroughly and made sure everything we required was provided.

When the day arrived we could not have wished for anything more, the day was completely perfect and the beautiful sunshine we had was the icing on the cake. Everything ran smoothly, the food was beautiful and all the staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. At the night do we had resident dj Nigel who did a great job, he played all the songs I had requested and much more to suit all ages. We stayed in the executive room in the coart yard room 31, very modern, spacious and clean. Our party had booked out 23rooms in total and there was no complaints about any of them, breakfast was served in the main house the next day which was also very nice.
If I was to pick any faults at all it would be just to say that the service in the bar at night could have been a little better as I believe they kept running out of stock and the lager was a little flat! However this would not stop me from booking this beautiful venue as there is nowhere else in the area that compares to it, the grounds are stunning with lovely views of the golf course,lake and well kept lawns, we had a bouncy castle for the kids which was ideal on the lawn. I truly believe that this venue is only going to improve the more it gets established but I personally loved every minute of it and wish I could do it all over again.

I would like to thank Joe and all the staff for making our wedding day a truely magical day, I will treasure the memories forever.

Stacey & Liam

Room Tip: Executive rooms in the coart yard
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Stacey M
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel 4 yrs ago and aware that there were new owners thought it worth a revisit. Though there is still work to do to bring it back to a level that the owners and indeed visitors desire, the work done to date and in particular the creation of a function room are significant steps forward and those requiring a wedding venue or corporate event should certainly consider the hotel as a venue. Our overall experience from our 2 day stay was excellent with everyone anxious to ensure that our stay was enjoyable, in particular the manager, his Portuguese colleague who was superb and the receptionist and catering team. The forward plans to undertake further work seem encouraging and we look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James B
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at Hackness Grange Hotel to top off a birthday celebration. The hotel itself was great, comfortable rooms and generally a relaxed feel around the place. Staff all very friendly and the restaurant is ace! Both evening meal and breakfasts were fantastic! We will definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank petercoop
london
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This charming hotel tucked away near the Forge Valley inland from Scarborough is making a recovery. It had been allowed to deteriorate by previous owners and the new owners have quite a job restoring it to former glories. The service and staff are excellent and welcoming and the food is good. The wine list is adequate if a bit meagre but does cater for those not wishing to spend an arm and a leg for a bottle of wine. The restaurant has wonderful view over the hotels pitch and putt and croquet areas. Outside there is a small lake with accompanying wild life. A mallard with 8 young ducklings were in evidence! Rooms are being improved and the terrace had just been repaved when I visited. (A good job was made of it as well)
The owners wish to restore the hotel in a slightly more traditional décor and so do not expect mountains of stainless steel and glass. A quiet pleasant hotel with the prospect of better things to come.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake are good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank smileyric
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for a 2 night break, the accommodation had an old world charm that you can't buy in any supermarket and the food is presented with the finess of a top London brssserie but at a fraction of the price, definitely an ideal location for the perfect wedding, or that perfect weekend or break away.I will definitely come back

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelots69
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The setting is first class. It has a new function room which is modern yet blends into the more traditional hotel, and has a wonderful view of the countryside with an extensive lawn and hillside backdrop. In addition to this there is a lovely lake with resident ducks! The car parking facilities are excellent. The hotel itself is stone-built with a lovely pillared entrance. The main part of the building is very traditional, with lovely decorative features. The staff are welcoming and work hard to ensure that your event / stay there is perfect. The meals are of a very high standard and I cannot recommend this venue enough. Joe, the wedding co-ordinator supported & advised us at all stages of our event & we had a fantastic week-end. My daughter had the BEST wedding ever!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anne T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hackness
Wrea Head Hall
#10 of 28 in Scarborough
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#11 of 28 in Scarborough

Been to Hackness Grange Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!