All reviews the main house function room bridal suite forge valley wedding venue daughters wedding the general manager sunday lunch peace and quiet dalby forest north yorkshire pot of tea this lovely hotel two night stay evening meal bit dated lounge area
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed at this hotel to investigate as a possible venue for a club event next year. We were given a warm welcome and all the staff who looked after us were extremely polite and helpful.
Our room was comfortable and had views of the lake and surrounding woodlands and the gorgeous island. We were given a tour around the grounds by one of the managers and found the function room exactly met our requirements both spacious and modern with the added benefit of panoramic views of the gardens.
We had dinner and breakfast in the delightful restaurant which had a lovely open fire. We enjoyed food of a high standard and had good conversation with our hosts.
After our meal we relaxed in the lounge and had coffee by another open fire .
Very relaxing and definitely on our list of places to return to

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daydream20935793815
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your kind words to the team. Regards Roger

Reviewed 31 October 2018 via mobile

We attended a family wedding here on the 26th October and stayed over for one night in a family room.

Let me start with the good points.

We really enjoyed the wedding!

We arrived early and were absolutley starving and because of the wedding they weren't serving food. However after asking for a bowl of chips they obliged and I have to a say they​ were the best ones I've had in ages.

The Outdoor canopy area where the bride and groom got married is beautiful.
Starters, main courses and deserts were all to a good standard and all were served promptly. Food for the evening do was good and the bride and groom had even gone to the trouble of ordering a ‘literal’ cheesecake!
There was a good size room for the evening do with an adequate size dance floor for the guests.

Bad Points

The place is a mobile phone blackspot on every network! No joke!

After checking in we stood waiting to be shown to our room. Don’t bother you’ll be stood there forever. Showing guests to their rooms Cleary isn’t part of the service.

Room quality was pretty poor for £125 a night. Definitely got stuck in one of the older rooms of the hotel that were outside in what was once the old coach house. Spiders and cobwebs in the shower, dirty toilet and splash back stains on the bin lid. I saw the USB chargers built into the plugs and though that’s a nice touch. Except the ones on my side of the bed didn’t work. We also thought it was a little suspect that there was an electric heater in the room when there were 2 large mains radiators?

Slugs trails all over the carpets in the waiting rooms.

Cracked panes of glass on the windows that clearly aren’t safety glass! God forbid a child runs into those windows as it would be a blood bath!

Having taken a travel cot for our youngest we asked reception if we could get some clean bedding for it. The response was there wasn’t any spare bedding and we would have to ask one of the other guests. Which we had to do! Luckily they weren’t using the spare bed in their family room otherwise there would have been problems! What type of establishment doesn’t have spare bedding? Or could they not be bothered dealing with our request?

Whilst ordering drinks at the bar I couldn’t help but notice that I kept being charged 3 different prices for the same drink. Amaretto and Jack Daniels £8.80 one time £7.90 another and £7.40 after that. My advice is be vigilant when ordering drinks because different staff charge different prices.

We asked the kitchen if they could fill our daughters baby bottle with milk and warm it up. They quickly obliged and off they went. When it came back it was missing the very important sealing ring that stops the milk pissing out the lid of the bottle. When we questioned them about it we were basically told they had lost it! Brilliant. It came back with a load of sellotape wrapped around it but we didn’t want our daughters pyjamas smelling like sour milk so we didn’t bother giving it to her. After a few conversations they agreed to cover the cost of a new milk bottle!

We awoke on Saturday morning to a freezing cold room. I’m not exaggerating as the temperature dropped dramatically that weekend. My wife quickly got up to have a shower to find out that there was no hot water or heating!!! Not a single guest from the wedding party got to have a warm shower in the morning!

We headed to breakfast at 9am (served 8am-9.30am) feeling pretty dam grubby. Basic cereals, juices toast and jams etc available.

After sitting there for 5 minutes a lady came to take our drinks order. I took a pot of tea and my wife asked for a latte to which the lady abruptly responded that it would cost extra. Now on the back of the no heating or running water for the guests I would have expected some basic customer service here or maybe even a smile! In the end we told them to take it off the money they owed us for a new milk bottle. After she came back with the drinks she took our breakfast order 2 x full English and scrambled eggs for the kids. Word of warning don’t get excited about your full English as they aren’t great.

1 x egg (Fried, poached or scrambled)
1 x sausage
1 x bacon
1 x tiny slice of fried bread (Don’t like it anyway)
Small spoon of mushrooms
Beans
Half a slice of black pudding (My wife accused me of cutting hers in half and eating it because she’s never seen anyone serve half a slice before?)

I can’t complain about the quality of any of it but it was very small and you have to go toast your own bread whilst your breakfast is going cold???? Why the kitchen don’t send out toast with the breakfast is beyond me it’s not a premier inn is it?

I couldn’t believe that when guests were checking out they didn’t apologise or even properly acknowledge the lack of hot water or heating in anyway. No offer of discounts or anything? No one wanted to kick up a fuss as it was a wedding and no one wanted to tar the day for the bride& groom. So I think the staff got off very lightly indeed!!!! We emailed our complaint to the hotel the following day and 4 days on we still haven’t had a response! This hotel clearly struggles with the very basics of customer service! Never mind customer experience.

I would warn anyone from staying here unless you want to stay at faulty towers!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
11  Thank Karl M
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Thank you for your review and I am happy to read that you enjoyed the wedding and the food.
For the benefit of other readers on trip advisor I do need to reply to the 'bad points':

1. Mobile phone network is outside the purview of the hotel. Most modern phones however are able to connect onto our free super-speed wifi and so be able to receive / make wifi calls.

2. The hotel was very busy with guests arriving, that said we do normally offer to assist to elderly guests or gests with needs with their luggage to their rooms. Your room was in the courtyard and this was explained to you how to get there. As a small country house hotel we are unable to show every guests to their room but offer to assist those with needs.

3. All the hotel rooms were checked prior to guest arrivals however spiders are able to find their way in and make their webs. If you had asked the hotel staff to assist in removing the spider then they would have done so.

4. You say there were slug trails all over the carpets in the waiting rooms. Lets clarify this, there was a small slug trail between the sofa and the wall in the lounge bar, hardly all over. You mention that there were cracked panes of glass with the danger of children running into them. Again lets put this into perspective. Out of the over 300 windows in the hotel the ONE cracked glass pane you refer to is behind a sofa in the lounge bar.

5. You asked the hotel to provide you with bedding for your baby travel cot. Unfortunately this is not the responsibility of the hotel to provide bedding for a baby. We would only provide a travel cot with a base bedsheet. Any other requirements are the responsibility of the parents, something which all parents would normally plan for.

5. Staff are unable to charge what they like for drinks as the prices are all programmed in the tills. The difference however can come between the two bars that do charge different prices between the lounge bar and function room bar.

6. At around midday you asked the staff to sterilise your baby bottle, which according the hotel manager looked as if it had seen better days, and then provide you with milk for it. Despite the manager saying no, its against hotel policy, you insisted and after much complaining by yourself the manager relented. You then came back to collect the bottle around 10pm that night. It is not the hotels responsibility to clean/sterilize baby bottles nor provide free milk. Most new parents make their own arrangements with the hotel by brining their own milk which we can keep in the fridge and certainly bring their own sterilising equipment and would not expect the hotel to do it.
As to agreeing to compensate you for the bottle. Actually you had ordered a latte in restaurant and then insisted that that cost for that be used to offset the cost of your bottle. It was only to avoid another unpleasant scene with you that this was agreed to.

7. The heating had tripped out and guests were apologised to. Later checkout was offered to allow guests to shower etc. As you mentioned in your review there were electric radiators in your room, there as back up and to add additional warmth if required.

8. The hotel offers guests on a bed and breakfast rate a selection from the buffet as well as different teas and filter coffee. You asked however for a latte and were advised that there would be an additional charge, something most hotels would do. Knowing this and after ordering it you then used this to create the scene to avoid paying for it by insisting that the cost is offset against the baby bottle that you had accused the hotel of damaging. As I said, to avoid further disruption and scene in front of other guests the staff waivered the charge.

9. You then complain about the size of the full English and the fact that you have to toast your own bread letting the breakfast go cold. We find letting guests help themselves from the buffet and judge themselves how much toast they would like to eat themselves more popular though we do offer to assist guests if asked. Most guests also after placing their order go do their toast before the hot comes out not after.

The hotel has responded to your complaints/numerous calls and have made the position clear. Veiled threats of negative reviews if compensation is not paid are not tolerated and are reported to tripadvisor when they do come in which I have done.

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

We were using a voucher we received from our son and were staying in Scarborough so picked Hackness Grange.

Big mistake. Friendly staff showed us to our taxable pearched on the end of a row slightly on a slope even tho window seats were available. The afternoon tea was less than average. The sandwiches, one made in a stale roll were ok but nothing special at all. The small plate of miniature cakes were very very small and the small pot of mousse was like water. The scones were warm and we were getting very excited until they just crumbled in our hand. Could add jam or clotted cream so left the mush of crumbs on the plate

Was so looking forward to this afternoon tea to finish of our weekend. But alas it just didn’t work.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
13  Thank Teena H

Thank you for taking the time to write into Trip Advisor and I am very disappointed to read of your experience at the hotel with the afternoon tea falling short of your expectations. On the day we served a total of 8 afternoon teas and only received your complaint. That said I have passed on your comments to the Head Chef during our weekly meeting and the chef who made up the afternoon tea has been spoken to also. Once again our apologies that we failed to live up to your expectations.

Reviewed 25 October 2018 via mobile

Recently my friends and myself spent a fabulous weekend at Hackness Grange Hotel, the hotel is set in the most beautiful grounds , from the moment we arrived the staff couldn’t have been more helpful. We were shown to our room which was lovely, with crisp white bedding and soft towels . We actually stayed in the princess tower suite which had two bedrooms one with a double bed with amazing views and the other with two single beds (the beds all turned out to be so comfortable with lovely soft pillows ) we had our own sitting room and bathroom.
After we had changed we went down to the bar for pre meal drinks , the lounge area is so comfortable with such a lovely atmosphere.
The dinning room was a very elegant room with a beautiful open fire, I believe it had been recently renovated, our meal was absolutely delicious we couldn’t fault it in any way and the staff were all very attentive.
We then returned to the comfort of the bar lounge after our meal for a night cap, we had had a very enjoyable evening .
The next morning we were offered a wide choice for breakfast and the staff even offered us advice on places to visit that day, I can’t recommend Hackness Grange enough and will definitely be visiting again very soon

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank janettebristowe
Reviewed 21 October 2018

Firstly, a perfect location for a wedding, well maintained gardens, nice lake with a bridge and a good function room with a reasonably priced bar. I met with friends here to see Snake Davies band. I stayed here a few years ago, my room was in the courtyard, I changed three times due to things been broken and no hot water. Despite this I booked again, direct with the hotel, a single room in the main house. A pleasant, friendly girl checked me in. The house is nicely decorated appropriate to its era. A lovely coal fire was in the restaurant but not lit at Breakfast, room was cold. I was in room 1 with the function room directly below needless to say it was noisy. Clean and tidy apart from the windows which were dirty, spoilt the view. My bed was very uncomfortable, the matteress sank down on one side and high on the other. I was up early only to find there was no hot water for a shower. Breakfast was good, no yoghurts. The waitress very helpful and talkative. No hairdryer or ironing board in the room but can be obtained from the reception. No phone signal, free wifi available. Large car park.

Room tip: Ask for a room which has been renovated.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank ALPHA512013
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. For the clarity of other readers, we do offer a buffet selection for breakfast, albeit there is no yoghurt selection as we found not many guests ate them, and there are hairdryers in all bedrooms. I have asked housekeeping to check the mattress in Room 1 and have arranged for the windows to be cleaned. Many thanks. Roger