“Awful stay - better off in a premier inn!”
Review of The King's Head

and 1 more site!
The King's Head
Ranked #1 of 1 Hursley B&B and Inns
“Awful stay - better off in a premier inn!”
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

Place full of pretentious people - cold atmosphere .
Food was ok - though nothing special , my room was cold - furniture ok - but didn't have that homely feel . Was a bit like the film an American werewolf in London - everyone turned and stated when we walked in .

• Stayed February 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here for one night as we had an event in Winchester the next day. The decor in the room (Cromwell) was very tasteful and cosy. The room itself was fairly spacious and the bed comfortable and soft. It was cheaper than a lot of places in Winchester so very good value. It was exactly what we were looking for. Agree with other comments that the room has quite a lot of noise from the bar downstairs so avoid this room if that bothers you. The chap who showed us the room was friendly and gave us some tips about running routes in the area. The breakfast was simple but tasty and fresh. We had dinner in the restaurant which was excellent. All in all I would recommend for a short weekend getaway with lots to do in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid cromwell room if you don't like noise
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Cannot recommend this pub enough. Service, staff, food were all excellent

Not a fancy menu, but pub grub at its finest.

We travelled an hour to meet friends here and the drive was worth it. The staff couldn't do enough for us even entertaining the kids.
Will definitely be returning - maybe to stay over next time

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Kendal
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. The accomodation was lovely and the bed really comfortable, perhaps though the room was a little too warm. The ensuite had a shower which was really nice.

My welcome to the accomodation could have been improved slightly, in that I could not find the check in area and wandered around a fairly busy pub looking for a desk or sign or something. It was a little lat arounf 10pm but I expected a better welcome. In the end I caught the attention of someone who steered me towards a section of the bar that was full of customers and I had to perch on the edge filling in a form.

This was my only gripe because the staff were friendly. The breakfast was filling, full English, and there were other options: toast, cereal etc... The evening meal I had was delicious, but I thought the choices on the menu were a little too fancy for my tastes e.g. salmon with ox cheek something or other.

Perfect location for visiting IBM Hursley.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Surrey
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I booked this inn for my partner's birthday weekend. Having looked at some of the reviews, it rated very highly and the unique selling point was the four-poster bed in one of the rooms. I booked through booking.com and selected the four poster bed room and I was looking forward to surprising my partner with this.

We arrived early for lunch and were given a very friendly welcome by the manager. The lunch served in the restaurant was excellent and the staff were very attentive. It was quite expensive, but as it was a birthday weekend so we didn't grumble.

After lunch we were shown to our room, Baxendale room. With two twin beds pushed together. This was a dissappointment. I raised it with the staff on duty and they apologised but said they had already booked out the four-poster room. I'm not sure why this error occured as I clearly had the paperwork? They made up for this error by offering us a bottle of Prosecco and gave my partner a surprise birthday desert with the whole restaurant sang him "Happy Birthday"!

Baxendale room was quiet with good quality sheets and was very comfortable. Breakfast the next day was superb sitting by the open fire.

Overall, the service here is very good, the quality of the food was excellent. This was evident as the restaurant was full at lunch and dinner. I would say the tables in the restauant are a little close together though, we were practically sharing with another couple. Shame about the four-poster bed incident. Otherwise this was a lovely stay.

Room Tip: If you have booked four-poster room make sure you ring and check in advance!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I recently stayed in The King's Head for an interview. I went with high expectations and the were certainly exceeded! I stayed in the Heathcote room and it was simply beautiful. Having arrived middle evening around 6 the staff were welcoming and friendly! I was taken to my room and asked if I would be joining for dinner. I thought why not, and was definitely not disappointed! I had the homemade burger followed by a warm chocolate brownie! Both were of extremely high standards! I checked with the waitress to see if they were Michelin starred, or held I Rosette or two! I was most stunned to find that they didn't! The servers in the restaurant we well trained and attentive! One particular waitress even offered to do my ironing but I felt guilty when she arrived at my door with an ironing board and an iron!

Overall my stay at The King's Head was most enjoyable and one of the nicest places I had stayed with in Britain! If I'm in the area again, it would definitely be the first place on my mind to stay!

• Stayed January 2013
Doncaster
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Good bar, plenty of choice of wines and beers and a nice friendly atmosphere. Good food, had a very enjoyable dinner. The service was good and attentive but not intrusive, got the impression that there was good teamwork among the staff.
The hotel is well decorated and spotlessly clean. The room I had was small but comfortable, I enjoyed a good nights sleep. If the need arises would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hursley
The Potters Heron
#7 of 13 in Winchester
The Wykeham Arms
The Wykeham Arms
#3 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The King's Head? Share your experiences!