“A wonderful surprise”

Blakewell
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Muddiford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Waterside cafe and tea rooms on a working trout farm: Come and feed the fish, catch your own supper enjoy our lovely gardens and ponds while having a cream tea, specalist coffee or a light lunch such as our home made smoked trout pate salad. we are also a premier trout fishery & have a beautiful 5 acre lake stocked with hard fighting Rainbow & Brown trout from 2 to 20 pounds!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Visited my folks who live in Berry Down and decided to stop here as we saw the cream tea sign, no one had been here before so we didn't know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised. The grounds were peaceful and well maintained and the cream teas were really special, generous portions of cream and jam and it was very good value. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank Claire W

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Now I have been pestered by my twin daughters to let them try their hand at fishing and I tried my hardest to explain that fishing may be a whole day out with nothing being caught but they wore me down.

I came here over 20 years ago with my nephew and we had a great catch so while we were back in Devon I decided to give it a go with my twin girls. No I am not a fisherman by any stretch of the imagination and after a brief talk with the gentleman on the site my fears were calmed and my girls excitement was growing by the second. Thei gran had given them some kids fishing rods and they were eager to get going. I asked what size of fish we were likely to catch and he said in the family lake we would likely get around a 1lb in weight but some are more.

A nice pleasant 1 1/2 hours was spent both fishing for trout, walking the other trout fishing tanks and the coi carp and enjoying the heatwave. We caught 6 fish and broke 1 rod of the rods in the process but as we had fun who cares. The largest fish we caught was 2lb 2 oz so we had a couple of nice ones. The costs were £ 2.50 for Rod rental and the costs for the fish was £ 3.00 per pound.

The staff was excellant and nothing was too much trouble and they even saved us the trouble of gutting the fish and cleaning them and even put them in the fridge for us while we went on our wanders around the site after.

Many thanks for a great experiance and will no doubt be calling back when we return to North Devon.

1  Thank whiteshodan
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Took 2 foreign students (aged 11 and 13) for an afternoon trip in glorious sunshine. They loved it; and also eating the very tasty fish later! There are also several fish in my freezer now, because it is easy to catch the fish (not a great deal of skill required) and they were trying to catch a particular large fish, but the others kept getting in the way. (I didn't mind as you pay for the weight of the fish! The ten fish they caught cost £16.88 + £2.50 rod hire each) There is the opportunity to try more skilled activities. Nice little shop - didn't try the cream tea, just cold drinks.

1  Thank Alison R
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I havn't been fly fishing for several years now but when I did I regularly used Blakewell and could not fault the place or the family that run it. I caught a Rainbow Trout very similar in size to the one in the picture during a Christmas compertition and still only came second.

The lakes are well stocked and it always seemed to me that the family running the fishery were more interested in thoes fishing, having a good experience than they were about running the business.

I am looking at starting up again and if I can I will again be a regular visitor to Blakewell Fishery

10  Thank KenDevon
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Visited with my nephews while they were holidaying with us. They absolutely loved the fun fishing and the only draw back is that if the kids get carried away it can get expensive and you have more fish than you can eat!
It has a lovely little farm shop of local preserves mainly, great also for a cream tea. Feeding the fish is also exciting some fish in the ponds are well into double figures both Brown and Rainbow trout ready for stocking the main lake which is for serious fly fishing anglers.
You can also just turn up and buy fresh fish to take home, so fresh they are netted and cleaned while you wait. A great all round experience perfect to while away a few hours...

4  Thank Yoda-the-Navigator