“Great food!”

The Fox and Goose Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Parracombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Visited twice with friends and both times the food was excellent, great choice of fish, meat and vegetarian meals. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. I would recommend The Fox & Goose if you are in search of a good meal.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We took my cousin to this traditional Devon inn for dinner on his birthday . The food was excellent with many locally supplied ingredients. So good we also had to have pudding each as well ... oh yummy! I have eaten and drunk the local beers and excellent ciders here before, but this was the first time we had stayed. Very clean and comfortable. We would strongly recommend this excellent friendly pub.
Sue, Essex

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Met some friends we have not seen for several years. Friendly country pub, lovely atmosphere. Just had sandwiches which were very good. Seemed as if it would be a good place for Bed and Breakfast. Would recommend it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have never written a review as poor as this before. We went there for dinner as it was so highly recommended. The four staff at the bar gossiped all evening and had to be 'begged' for service. The food was poor and although it was not expensive nor was it value for money. I felt as if they were doing me a favour letting me have dinner there!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
foxygoose, Owner at The Fox and Goose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback on our pub and all I can say is I'm sorry you found us 'terrible'. I can assure you I will have a word with the staff on their approach to customer service on this occasion, usually they are first class and something we get praised on, on many an occasion, maybe this has lead to complacency, but this time we let you down. As to the food, that is my area and I fully wish you had spoken up at the time, about the staff too, we are a very approachable team and not the type to not confront problems when they arise, we really don't like this kind of public attack, we take it to heart, we're only human and would much rather sort things out at source, this would have saved you a rubbish experience and you might well have left liking us. I would be interested to know what meals you had, so that we could address the dishes and consider areas of improvement.
Once again I extend you my sincere apologies, and we will all try harder.
Kindest regards,
Nikki.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I stayed recently for two days at the Fox and Goose and dined there on both evenings. Parracombe is a sweet little village conveniently located for coast and moors. Our room was newly renovated, very spacious, with a big modern bathroom. Everything was spotlessly clean. Dinner was excellent, breakfast was the best in our three-week tour of England and Wales. The people that run this place clearly take pride in their job. In addition to the overall high standard of accommodation and food, there are little touches here and there that make the difference: the white tablecloth at breakfast instead of the sad placemats seen so often or the fact that the soap bar was changed every day (this doesn't even happen in 4 star hotels). Thanks to all of you at the Fox and Goose!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stopped here for lunch while visiting the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway.
Only wanted a light lunch so had a ploughmans and a pint. The food and drink were both good and I will go back again to sample the rest of the menu which is extensive and mostly procured from local suppliers. Staff were friendly and the service excellent. If you need a quiet venue and quality meals, this is the place you are looking for. It is especially nice not to be disturbed by cellphone activity since there's not a hope you will get a signal :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We randomly selected this pub as a meeting point and were very pleasantly surprised. The menu was varied and of a much higher standard than most pubs. The bouillabaisse was particularly good.

We did not stay here so cannot comment on the rooms.

Make a detour if you are in the area!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Been to The Fox and Goose Inn? Share your experiences!