“Did not live upto the hype sadly.”

The Fox and Goose Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Parracombe B&B and Inns
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,158 helpful votes
“Did not live upto the hype sadly.”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Greedily after having a not so successful outing at the nearby old station house my wife and i left our daughters and visited the fox and goose last saturday evening situated in the sleepy village of Parracombe.My wife ordered the burger and i ordered the pie with veg.Her meal arrived on what i can only describe as a wooden chopping board which was different.Service was very good and the staff were very friendly too.My meal was okay,the vegetables were nicely cooked and thats all i can say really.The burger meal was an average offering compared to other meals we had during the week.What i can say is this pub/restaurant was one of the most charismatic i have ever frequented and had a wonderful atmosphere about the place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shane s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Wiltshire
Reviewed 17 August 2014

From the moment we stepped through the front door until we left we felt very much at home. Thank you Paul, Nikki, Tim, Gemma and the team for being so friendly, so helpful and for feeding us so well. The little extras you provided in our rooms came as a very pleasant surprise. We hope to see you again in the future when we need spoiling again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandVWiltshire
Dorset, UK
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Wow we wish we live closer as the food was amazing. The pizza was big enough to share between two young children with a side of garlic bread. My duck and my husband's burger were beautifully cooked and plenty big enough. But the dessert....my husband still talked about the brioche and butter pudding as one of the best he ever eaten - he was all set to order another portion straight away. The wine by the glass was extremely good and came in small glass. Just go!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ReniMcP
Hitchin
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Visited twice with friends and both times the food was excellent, great choice of fish, meat and vegetarian meals. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. I would recommend The Fox & Goose if you are in search of a good meal.

Stayed July 2014
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We took my cousin to this traditional Devon inn for dinner on his birthday . The food was excellent with many locally supplied ingredients. So good we also had to have pudding each as well ... oh yummy! I have eaten and drunk the local beers and excellent ciders here before, but this was the first time we had stayed. Very clean and comfortable. We would strongly recommend this excellent friendly pub.
Sue, Essex

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Llangynidr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Met some friends we have not seen for several years. Friendly country pub, lovely atmosphere. Just had sandwiches which were very good. Seemed as if it would be a good place for Bed and Breakfast. Would recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have never written a review as poor as this before. We went there for dinner as it was so highly recommended. The four staff at the bar gossiped all evening and had to be 'begged' for service. The food was poor and although it was not expensive nor was it value for money. I felt as if they were doing me a favour letting me have dinner there!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
foxygoose, Owner at The Fox and Goose Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback on our pub and all I can say is I'm sorry you found us 'terrible'. I can assure you I will have a word with the staff on their approach to customer service on this occasion, usually they are first class and something we get praised on, on many an occasion, maybe this has lead to complacency, but this time we let you down. As to the food, that is my area and I fully wish you had spoken up at the time, about the staff too, we are a very approachable team and not the type to not confront problems when they arise, we really don't like this kind of public attack, we take it to heart, we're only human and would much rather sort things out at source, this would have saved you a rubbish experience and you might well have left liking us. I would be interested to know what meals you had, so that we could address the dishes and consider areas of improvement.
Once again I extend you my sincere apologies, and we will all try harder.
Kindest regards,
Nikki.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parracombe
The Seawood Hotel
#2 of 2 in Martinhoe
Moorlands
Moorlands
#2 of 3 in Parracombe

Been to The Fox and Goose Inn? Share your experiences!