“Average offline”

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Oslo, Norway
“Average offline”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

The hotel is as expected, ok standard in rooms and nice pools. Food average to poor, the lunch by the pool poor. Entertainment not recommended
what is really bad is that there are only wireless internett in the lobby and not in the rooms or by the pool, its not acceptable in 2012
The street in front of the hotel were flooded with human waste from the old systems under the streets and this apparently happened often ??
Better alternatives are available i am sure
Alcudia is beach wise very family friendly and looked nice and clean

1 Thank mobiletraveller64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Aalborg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I have in 2011 reviewed Viva Bahia on our stay that summer – You can see that review at tripadvisor at the following link ”Very Good – We will be back”:

And as you may understand we came back!

We booked our room at http://www.vivahotels.com for 2 weeks in july 2012 (commencing july 7 – 2012). We were allocated room #1215, which is on the south wing of the hotel, this is a room with pool view. As last year the room has a nice size and are properly maintained.
On arrival to the hotel we noted that our fridge did not close properly, which were corrected early next morning.
On our stay in 2011 we paid apx. EUR 180,- pr. night this year we had to pay EUR 230,- pr. night , this is a price rise of 28% !!!! This is a rise of EUR 700,- for the entire 2 weeks. This is a lot. However we accepted on booking, but also expected that the hotel as a minimum would have installed WIFI, which the reception last year (2011) told us would be installed for this year. In the folder in rooms it is also stated that WIFI is available through-out the hotel – Which means at least most places. On arrival we were handed a piece of paper with information, one of these where that WIFI is available in the reception area only. The bandwidth is far too slow and not workable, especially when 20+ people is connected. I can simply not understand why WIFI is considered different to electrical power for recharging mobile phones and television in the rooms. This hotel could easily have installed a full covering WIFI for less than EUR 2000,- with high bandwidth, I more or less suspect that Viva Hotels do not understand what makes the modern traveller stay in the hotel and spend money there – but ultimately it will remain a problem for Viva Hotels. For your information I can tell, you that other hotels in the area (same class) ie. Playa Garden this year has full covering WIFI at no cost.

We did order room only and bought food either at the hotel or at the restaurants in the area. We tried the lunch buffet at the hotel, which has an acceptable quality but is priced far to high in a fair comparison to what you could expect at a facility like this. The dinner buffet has lost a lot of quality which we were confirmed by other travelers who had “All-Inclusive” – Last year they had numerous “theme nights” i.e. Italian, US and French evenings. This year there might be small variations in food, but now only signposted with menu numbers 1-14 (changing every day). We talked we many people who had All-In or half board who have stayed here earlier, who now were frustrated over the hasty decline in the food offering.
Some we meet who had All-In have noted that prices (sign posted) have gone up on many drinks and menu items in the snack bar although still free in All-In, but the higher posted prices signals higher value for board or All-In. Those directly hit by such acting are travelers like us, that suddenly feels that the pricing at the hotels facilities are far too high to value delivered. The hotel sign post relative high pricing for breakfast, lunch and dinner – This makes the All-In looks like an acceptable deal. But it is really not, you can easily get more value by buying food at the hotel or at restaurants in the same area and supplement by buying ice-cream and sodas at the drugstore outside the hotel. So our recommendation is buy room only.
Back to the increase in price of 28% which is a lot for the same period and totally out of the general price evolution in Spain. We see that most travelers at this hotel has booked package tours at tour operators, who generally commits to many nights also out of the peak season – Hotels like this are because it is a very nice place and in high demand.
If I (an belive, me I did) browsed through the various operators offering this hotel for this season I could not see any price increase ? on package tours. I think that hotels like this (it it is an educated guess) uses their direct sale and the price of it to lever a better price at the tour operators. If the hotel then have had a great sale to operators it is correct that unsold weeks for direct sale comes into short supply and therefore they could charge an even higher price – but this is not the supply and demand cycle, since the other parties (the operators) have paid less, due to their commitment out of season as well. We usually book hotels directly at the hotels as we did here. At Viva hotels the only think that they do for direct bookers is to offer fruit and a bottle in the room + 2 drinks at arrival – that’s all, we are also members at ie. www.solmelia.com and books directly with them and here we feel that we are getting at least something in return for our direct business like good located apartments(rooms) free late checkout when needed – As an example I tell you that our plane was leaving Mallorca at 21:30 and therefore we wanted to keep the room longer, I wrote whilst on location a week ahead a mail the hotel management/reception to ask for this, whilst I clearly noted that I was a direct customer – In return I was told that I could line up like others for late check out and should pay EUR 40,- for this service. I think the latter is very good examples that direct customers are just “filled in” the gaps of what tour operators have not booked. We booked directly at the www.vivahotels.com but could also have booked through booking.com,hotels.com and thes likes of it – Hotels pay for their services in the range of 10-20% of the full value of the booking – for our booking this would have been a saving for the hotel of EUR 322,- to EUR 644,- an amount that they of course is full entitled to – but many of their colleagues uses part of to appreciate the direct business. At the same strip you find other hotels that offer free late checkout to direct customers. I wonder why they are not doing more to direct customers – since they are good gap fillers and the earnings on these are second to none.
I wrote last year that the hotel had a very fine policy for sun loungers (sun beds), where they enforced a no reservation policy at 9:15 if nobody were present at the chairs at that time. The hotel still sign post a no reservation policy, but apparently they have ceased to enforce it, which now results in that many people wakes up early (pre 07:00) and go and place their towels and maybe comes back at 11:00 – 13:00 every day, with no risk of losing the places. I do not mind people reserving early it at least one person from a group at all times are present – but the “towel trick” is not acceptable. I know that the lack of enforcing the hotels policy have frustrated many of the returning guests, with whom we spoke a lot with. But it is a good example on an area of great importance to customers, where the hotel has cut back on their part (cost saving).
Our family often also outside summer holiday goes to Spain and we find ourselves experienced travelers – and by reading this review place also accept that we have spend every one day of twelve the last year on this facility (Viva Bahia). Please also read my post from last year as indicated earlier. Viva Bahia is still a very place, but is on the brink of being downgraded due to the way they conduct their business – it is a pity and I hope that the hotel one day after reading this post would come back to me, since I would like to go there again provided that they do something proactive.

I hope I will hear from them ??

All in all we had a great holiday and we would most certainly be back to Playa De Muro again? But maybe not Viva Bahia !

Room Tip: Book a room with pool view
6 Thank Lars_Krull
Viva h, Gerente at Hotel Viva Bahia, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank that you took time to give us these suggestions, we appreciate that and we take note of them.

First of all I would like to comment about the Prices, it is regulated by the demand of rooms, when there is bigger demand the prices get higher.
Regarding the Wifi, we are thinking of improving, it is a suggestion that we receive often from our guests and we take note of it to start hereafter.

About the buffet, this year we have increased the number of thematic dinners, every week we have 5 like: Mondays Cheese, Tuesdays Mediterranean, Wednesdays Seafood, Thursdays Mexican and Saturdays Deserts, The following week we have the same but changing Tuesday for Malloquin food and Thursday Chinese. This is something we try to improve on a daily base so that our guests are more satisfied with our service.
Regarding the reservations on the sunbeds, what you wrote is true, our mistake was that we reacted too late, now we have re-organized that at 07:00Am there will be somebody overlooking the sunbeds and placing information so that the guests who left their towels (more than 45 minutes without supervision) know that they will be taken away and they could loose their deposit money. We would like to apologize about this.

About our guests that book through our web page, we are studying how to improve for a better satisfaction to our guests, we really appreciate your suggestions and they will definitely help us to be alert to our direct bookers and giving more service, not only for Viva Bahia but for the whole chain.

Again, we appreciate your comments,
St. Petersburg, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Having read the "perfect" reviews I ask myself whether I have been to another hotel or have those people been to any other?
First of all, it's far from being 4 stars hotel (maybe they have different ranking for apartment resorts, then feel free to ignore this comment). The room was spacious, seemed clean and new but materials were very cheap. Most of those were IKEA I believe
Not having WIFI in the rooms??? It's 2012!
The hotel facilities were OK, especially the children-free zone
The location is good only if you have a car or for some reason do not want to leave the hotel at all - absolutely nothing around except for a couple of supermarkets and not very good restaurants
Food at the hotel restaurant was of a good quality but absolutely tasteless
The staff... One of the worst I've ever seen
Reception (except for 2 ladies) was rude and couldn't care less. They could give no advise of what's happening outside the hotel (e.g. large supermercados or transfers) and didn't really trying to. I'm also not really sure if all of them speck English as sometimes I felt misunderstood
Waitress must have been lords or dukes - so arrogant they were
But the saddest thing was the miniclub. I seriously think that the most important when it comes to kids is participation and involvement but not quality. While the miniclub staff chose a couple of kids who was actually talented and almost ignored others.
I was really impressed when one of the ladies (the Katy one) went to the beach in the middle of the day and was sunbathing there pretending not to know anybody from the hotel and looking angry at kids running around. They are small, not stupid! They can understand this is still the same person trying to be nice with them in the evening. If you don't like children, maybe you should consider another job?

To summarize: if you have some money and want to please your child, go somewhere else. Preferably to another island and maybe another country.

2 Thank Dina Z
Drammen, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Some things were quite good, as, for example the beach and the wether in Alcudia.

But the thing that stroke us the most staying at Viva Bahia was the incredible rudeness and hostility of the people working at the hotel. The Hotel management had obviously strong ideas about how our vacation was arranged, and we had a strong feeling of being pushed around by the staff who obviously had clear time targets for everything we did. And for us from scandinavia the staff also left a clear and strong impression that the spanish staff actually felt better than us, we got the feeling that the only thing they was thinking was "give us more money" you "stupid scandinavians"

When eating it was not even possible to finish the food before someone was there stretching over the table grabbing our plates, and such giving us a strong "hurry up" message.

At this hotel it was not possible to order coffee with dessert / cakes. We had pre-ordered dinner for the entire period, and was therefore forced to accept such customer unfriendliness. It would not at all have been a problem to pay extra for coffee. It would not have been a problem to fetch the coffee without assistance from the personell. But, no, at this hotel the rules states that guests are not allowed to enjoy coffee with the cake.

These are just some few examples illustrating the lack of respect Hotel personell showed for their customers. This lack of respect for the customer came to expression every day, rather as a rule than as an exception.

The lack of respect for the customers reached a high point at the day when we were leaving. Our plane was leaving from Palma at 00:20 in the night, and as always check out from the rooms were at 12:00. For us this was a great opportunity to enjoy the last day at the beach. But, the facilities the hotel could offer for taking a shower after a long day was impossible to imagine. I couldn't take pictures while the room was filled up, but, i attach one from the rom, and you can imagine how it was filled up with suitcases and lots of stressed people, all wanting to take a shower. This hotel had 2 showers in the same small room as they used to store our luggage, and this was the only facility available for the all people that needed to have a shower pretty much at the same time... this small room was overfilled with strangers running in and out with their luggage. It was not possible to reserve time for one party/family, and of course the shower facilities was not cleaned between use.

5 Thank Kristian S
Viva h, Hotel Manager at Hotel Viva Bahia, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear Guests,

We are so sorry that you had these inconveniences during your stay, I apologize for the lack of hospitality that our staff has showed you. We can assure you that we treat our guests the best way we can independently of their nationality.

In the buffet, the waiters don’t serve coffees due to the amount of people going to the dining room and to avoid long waiting times to our guests. Coffee can always be ordered and served in the Cafeteria. Anyway, we will try to see if there is a possibility to organize the buffet differently so that it also can be served coffee there.

In relation to the showers, I would like to apologize because we didn’t give you all the information you needed. It’s true that the luggage room is completely full the main days of departures and that there are only two showers. These particular days we do open also the indoor swimming pool offering our guests some more showers. Please understand that the problem is that the hotel is fully booked and a lot of departures are very late but a lot of the new guests arrive quite early. You can always try, with the reception, to keep your room longer. When this is possible we are very pleased to help you with that.

We are very thankful for your comments because they do help us to improve and get better. We are so sorry that you couldn’t feel very happy with our work and our effort.
We really hope that we could welcome you again in any of our VIVA hotels so you can see that we try to continuously improve.
Praha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Nice hotel „exclusively“ for families with young children. The rooms are modern and spacious (but you can sometimes find something broken (water tap etf.), each room has its own balcony. If you have a room facing the pool, you will not enjoy too much relax, but it´s o.k.
The food is fine, even if the quantity sometimes beats the quality. But you can choose something good every day and the kids as well. The only negative is that the breakfast starts at 8 am and that´s too late for the kids, at least for ours :-)
The hotel is full of children attractions. The kids will find everything here, they can enjoy very nice kids pool, minizoo, playground, minidisco, kids club etc.
The best thing of this hotel is the sea and its sandy beach I guess. It´s shallow and really crystal clear.

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Last year we went to Viva Tropic but this year we decided to try this one and we wern't disappointed. The hotel is very clean, we had a top floor (3) apartment over looking the nature reserve as it was 30 euros per day extra for a pool view. The apartment was spacious, with a good kitchen kitted out with everything you need - kettle, toaster, microwave etc. We had double sinks and a walk in wet room type shower. The pools were clean, the kids loved the pirate ship in the kids pool and there is a pond where there were newly hatched ducklings and signets. The beach is beautiful and if you walk past all the sunbeds you get the entire beach to yourself. On a rough day the waves are big but on the calm days the sea is calm and shallow for a long way out and a beautiful azure colour.

The downside is that it does feel like it's in a bit of a remote area. Viva Tropic has a much wider choice of shops and restaurants. We paid 1.50 euros to catch the bus in to Alcudia Port and a taxi cost 11 Euros. The English are in the minority here but that doesn't matter at all, the evening entertainment is ok, the kids (5 and 6) enjoyed it.

If you enjoy the beach go for this one but if you're not fussed about the beach I would recommend going to Viva Tropic as it's a bit more in the thich of it but also far enough out to be ok. We also felt that the Viva Tropic layout was better than the Bahia as the kids playground at the tropic is next to the kids pool so you can stay on your lounger and keep your eye on them whereas at the Bahia you have to get up and go with them and there isn't many places to sit and watch.

We had a fab time.

Room Tip: Room 1336 is large and over looks the national park. Quiet room, didn't notice any noise.
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

My five year old son and I went for a week - our first time in Mallorca. I booked this particular property based on favourable reviews here and on the tour operator's website and I was not disappointed.

The food was good and there was plenty of variety, the place was clean and well-kept overall and the staff in the kids' club were great. There really is something for everyone with fruit being readily available throughout the day as well as ice cream and slushees, we had an all inclusive package and the fish options were lovely and freshly grilled, I could have eaten quite healthily all week but did indulge in the dessert buffet as well.

The beach is a short walk from the pool area (two minutes tops) and the playground is fantastic, the only thing I would say is that the bouncy castle was in need of mending and should not have been in use as it was not all that safe. There is miniature golf and a small pond and stream with recently hatched baby birds (mallards and something else) - the swan's eggs had not yet hatched but we certainly enjoyed watching the little ones who did occasionally escape from their enclosure.

I would go again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard/pool may not be a good option if you don't want to hear the shows eve...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
Viva Zafiro Alcudia & Spa
Viva Zafiro Alcudia & Spa
#6 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Hotel Viva Bahia? Share your experiences!