We stayed at Viva Blue for 10 nights from 29th July to 8th August, as a family of four, on a room and breakfast basis. Overall we liked the hotel, and I've scored it as "very good". I'd give it 4 1/2 out of 5 if I could, it missed being "excellent" through just a few niggles.
Firstly the good points; the hotel is clean, very clean, the pools are clean, and there seems a small army of people cleaning the pools, the tiles, the grounds, the windows in reception.
This is a great hotel for kids, very family friendly with a splash pool, a section of one pool only 0.35m deep and a baby mini-pool also 0.35m (I think, my kids too old to use). There is a kiddie play area by the splash pool and great kids clubs.
There are plenty of pools and they weren't too busy, even when all the pool loungers were taken. There seemed to be a pool for everyone, every situation. My kids rated the pools as being the best thing, and that's when they thoroughly enjoyed the kids club activities.
The rooms themselves were nice, a living room with attached kitchenette, a bedroom, and I liked the fact that the sink area was separate from the toilet/shower/bath/bidet area. It meant one person could wash and brush teeth while another was on the loo. However the room wasn't as described by Booking.com who we booked with. The "double" bed was huge and nice and firm, very comfortable if you like firm beds.
The breakfasts were fantastic, every imaginable breakfast food, including sausages and bacon, although the sausages taste different to that which we buy in England - not an issue.
My kids loved the freshly made pancakes, I liked the almond "rusk" like biscuits!
The staff were very helpful, and the kids club staff were really good, Tam especially explaining about the Zorb balls on water.
The entertainment seemed good too. We wanted to use the hotel as a base and go out most days and most evenings, but we did catch the Elvis night and the Magic Act night, both of which we enjoyed. I know they also offered a Beatles night, Abba night, Pirate night and Rock Music Night whilst we were there, but unfortunately we missed out on those. The entertainment finished at a reasonable time too, so we weren't disturbed by it after going to bed.
The negatives were really only niggles, we did have a really good time at this hotel.
The few problems were:- we booked in and it seemed there were lots of "extra" charges. The safe was an extra E16.50 a week, the lane pool had an extra charge - which we didn't actually use as the 1.65m pool wasn't ever busy when we wanted to use it. The kids did pony rides as part of their kids clubs, and this had an extra charge of E6.00 each, although the kids really enjoyed this and it was an outside company providing the service.
Then there were times the restaurants/bars were closed. We arrived mid-afternoon and just managed to get food in the (very good) pool bar before they closed at 4pm. If we'd arrived 20 minutes later we would have had to leave the hotel to eat. We weren't on All Inclusive, although the hotel does offer this option, but even AI guests couldn't get a meal between 4pm and 6pm, although I've stayed in other AI hotels where you could get a self-service buffet at any time of day. I guess because it's not exclusively AI they would have to have staff working to charge the room card.
Also we felt that although breakfast was brilliant, that there wasn't much choice in the dinner buffet restaurant, although the kids liked it, and my daughter tried swordfish for the first time, and enjoyed it.
Another grumble was the pool loungers. When we arrived, we dumped the bags in the room and headed straight for the pool bar. We noticed that the pool was busy and loungers were taken but as it was late-ish in the day it was OK. The next day we hoped to have a day around the pool, but by 8:30 all the loungers were reserved, so we had a day out (at Hidropark in Alcudia where we had no problem getting a lounger). The next day, Thursday, no chance of a lounger, so had another day out of the hotel. On Friday we decided the only way to beat them was to join them, reserved a couple of loungers before 8am, had breakfast, had a fantastic day by the pool until 4pm when the kids had pony rides. But it shouldn't have had to be that way.
And Booking.com described the room as having a bedroom with double bed and sofabed and living area with sofa-bed. However there was no sofa-bed in the bedroom or room to put in an extra bed, but the lounge sofabed was in 2 parts so my son and daughter couls sleep on separate sides of the room, but my daughter was still put out at having to share a room with her brother when we thought he'd be in with us.
Finally, because we were on room and breakfast basis, when we ate other meals at the hotel (I think we had 4 days of lunches in the pool bar and 2 days of evening meals in the dinner buffet restaurant) and you pay by charging the room card - it was good that we didn't have to take euros down to the pool but we did have to keep track of how much we'd spent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the shopping district, just 200 m from Playa de Muro’s magnificent beach, and close to the S’Albufera Natural Park, Viva Blue is the perfect base for a fabulous family or couples’ holiday in the north of Majorca. It is ideal for families with children as it offers a complete array of amenities: swimming pool with water games and Pirate Boat, and an exciting entertainment program, including activities and dancing in the mini-disco. Couples, meanwhile, can enjoy an exclusive getaway and relax in the harmony of our elegant chill-out pool. It comprises facilities which are perfectly adapted for sports lovers and particularly suitable for triathletes. It includes a heated 25-metre outdoor pool, with 6 2-metre lanes. It also boasts a fully equipped gym And a fully equipped, new store/repair shop for cyclists makes it great for sports lovers too. Moreover, the hotel organises excursions with a guide. Our Balneum Spa & Wellness Center offer an even wider range of services to our customers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Viva Blue & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Blue Hotel Playa De Muro
- Viva Blue Playa De Muro
- Viva Blue & Spa Playa De Muro, Majorca