This was our first trip to Mallorca and we spent quite some time searching Trip Advisor for something a little bit more luxurious than the majority of the "package holiday" hotels that tend to dominate the island.
First of all - Las Gaviotas is really quite an exceptional establishment when compared with other hotels that we looked at in the same area. In fact, even upon arriving outside the building, it stands out as very classy looking (this was a relief - the Port of Alcudia which we passed through en route was a bit resemblant of a mini Magaluf which was definitely not our thing!).
The whole hotel is very modern in a trendy designer kind of way - fresh clean and minimalist lines and obviously recently renovated. Check in at reception was quick and efficient. Our suite (324) over-looked the main rear pool and was really quite impressive. A large sitting room area leading to a sliding door double bedroom, both of which opened out (via sliding patio doors) onto a huge balcony. The bathroom was also excellent - no bath but a large walk-in power shower (amazingly refreshing!) and nicely decorated (again clean modern design).
We stayed half board. Breakfast was on the first floor in the buffet restaurant and was comprehensive and tasty. There was a great choice of food and a chef on hand to cook omelettes and pancakes. The dining room is clean and modern (again) and has a nice airy feel to it. The hotel was only about 40% full and it didn't feel at all cramped or hectic. The waiting staff (in fact all the hotel staff) were a pleasure and always had a smile on their face. Dinner was equally as good - lots of choice (bear in mind this is a buffet restaurant so its not always as upscale as an a la carte) and again a chef to cook fresh food in front of you (varied by night - steak, fish, pork, fresh pasta etc).
The two pools are lovely - the rear main pool (not sea facing but backed onto a residential area which was not an issue) was huge and the whole area was kept spotless. There were a large amount of sun loungers so I would imagine even in high season you would not have a problem getting one.
A couple of things to note: this hotel (and indeed Playa de Muro) attracts two main nationalities - German and English. While we were there, English did seem more in the minority, however we had no issue at all with the Germans that we met (who quite frankly were more civil than some Brits!). The hotel itself tends to attract couples (of all age ranges) more than families and we did not see too many kids. This brings me to my next points - hotel entertainment - there was not anything noticeable in the evenings. The front reception bar is fairly small and that's about it. I don't think the hotel unashamedly hid the fact that there was no "sing along" stuff or sketches / comperes in the evening. They market themselves as a suite / boutique style hotel and therefore this would not be in line with their image.
Playa de Muro is pleasant and there were plenty of small bars / supermarkets / restaurants (all very reasonable in Euro land terms) around the hotel. In fact the resort is "nicely" equipped with a few eateries and bars without being over-commercialised (unlike other nearby resorts).
The transfer between Palma airport and Playa de Muro should take about 45 mins as the crow flies - ONE WORD OF WARNING!! - we opted for a coach transfer: this does not necessarily go straight to the resort, but instead went "all around the houses" stopping at several nearby resorts (and numerous hotels) first. A supposed 45 min transfer took 2hrs 30 mins!! Not really that pleasant if coaches are not your thing. Other options are limited (taxis about £60 one way) so perhaps finding cheap car rental for the week is worth considering (lots to see around the area also).
All in all and excellent stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Gaviotas Suites Hotel - a pioneer in the area as far back as in the -70s and with more than 30 years of experience - consolidates stars and a image: modern lines in every corner invite you to a holiday oasis where quality is the common element and white, the colour that permeates everything. Here you can enjoy gardens, comfortable suites and modern facilities. But Las Gaviotas Suites Hotel is much more than just a beautiful design. Our identity is, above all, friendly treatment and good service. Our experience and know-how, together with each guest, will do the rest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and LoveHolidays so you can book your Las Gaviotas Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Gaviotas Hotel Playa De Muro
- Hotel Las Gaviotas
- Las Gaviotas Suites Hotel Playa De Muro, Majorca