“Great, Great, Great.”

Iberostar Alcudia Park
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Travelled with extended family, small children, older children, grandparents the lot. Excellent hotel. Fantastic food, the best we have ever had at any Iberostar and we have been to a lot of them now. Excellent staff, very clean room and perfect for families as the 4 person rooms have sink and fridge so great for making up baby milk, food etc. Fantastic beach front location can't be beaten. You can walk out into the gorgeous blue sea for hundreds of yards and only be up to your waist, so very safe. Didn't go during school holidays which I would imagine could be a bit much, but very nice in September. Entertainment team as with all Iberostars work very hard to make sure you are looked after. Yes the sun beds do get claimed quite early in the morning, but the towels they put on them are not a lock and key are they - throw them off!! take the damn chair if you want it and no one has been near it for hours, don't take it from the Germans. Couldn't fault this hotel apart from one so called `Comedy Night' which really was aimed at the German tourists who thought it was very funny, as did very small children in the crowd. The rest of us thought it was a bit `camp', slapstick humour that only they seem to enjoy. Did the Germans buy the island and I didn't read about it?????? Anyway, you will not be dissapointed in this hotel if you are travelling with a family or as a couple but not when the schools are on holiday. Would definately return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Happy_Parsnips
Write a ReviewReviews (1,685)

Reviewed 11 September 2009

I stayed in the Alcudia Park for 10 days in late August/September as my main summer holiday with my partner and my nine year old daughter.
I was rather wary of going all-inlcusive as I'd never done this before, but I have no regrets as the food and service in the restaurant were first class. I also thought the bar service was very good with a wide range of cocktails in the evening, plus all day availability of coffees, choice of wine ,beers and branded soft drinks (all easy self-service) and ice creams. There was also appetising buffet food available at the bar if you didn't want to go indoors to the restaurant to eat. The sheer range of food available at breakfast lunch and dinner was amazing and the staff were all very attentive and cleared tables quickly without ever rushing you. Queuing was minimal and the hot and cold serving areas were continually replenished :all -inclusive is definitely the way to go. It would have been prohibitively expensive to eat and drink out locally to this standard - even if we could have found anywhere pleasant.
This brings me to my next point which is that in my opinion the surrounding area of Playa de Muro/Alcudia (excluding the beach which is fine) immediately outside the hotel is very shabby indeed: a tawdry strip of Spar supermarkets, tacky souvenir shops, British pubs and dirty pavements. The hotel has had to make itself as appealing as possible to guests as it really is an oasis in a desert of tackiness.
However, for famillies with young children this hotel has it all: a really lovely pool area with a warmer shallow pool for little ones, a clean sandy beach with clear warm shallow water making it very safe for paddling. We did go in peak season so everywhere was very busy but having said that we always managed to get beach loungers and an umbrella (which you have to hire for a hefty 8 euros a day, they're not owned by the hotel).

My daughter really enjoyed the 'Maxi-Club' for children (they have a mini one for little ones too). The clubs had morning and afternoon sessions and were very well run by lovely multi-lingual playleaders, some Dutch, Portuguese English and Spanish. She did water basket ball, T-Shirt painting and horse riding (though that cost extra) and it was an easy way for a single child to make new friends whilst giving the parents some time on their own.

Just a small note of caution: if you're looking for a tranquil hotel, then the Alcudia Park is not the place for you. The nightly entertainment is loud and unavoidable and although it ends at 11pm the hotel rarely quietens down until well after midnight. You won't get a lie in either as children are inevitably running around the pool area early in the morning. But if you've come with young kids this won't bother you much anyway and you'll be delighted by how well this hotel is geared towards young families.

We didn't hire a car on this holiday as we were mindful of costs and didn't want the hassle. In hindsight, we probably should have done. The nearest town, Alcudia Port is an expensive taxi ride away and one we'd seen it and found it depressingly spoilt by mass commercialism ('Croydon-by-Sea' was my partner's summary and he was brought up there so apologies to any Croydon residents reading this) we were immensely relieved to get back to our hotel's relative calm. There is actually a much more traditional,quieter and upmarket part of Alcudia (the Old Town) where you can get much more of an authentic atmosphere. We went there a couple of times but again, it was another pricey taxi ride away and there was only so many times you could wander around the cluster of alleyways and tapas bars.

Our room was perfectly pleasant (although smaller than it appears on the Iberostar website, aren' t they always?!), to the standard of a Holiday Inn really. We had a balcony overlooking the pools and you could see the sea in the distance. The staff throughout the hotel are friendly and helpful, particularly the restaurant team. The hotel is very popular with Germans and the old stereotypes of humourless sun-bed snatchers did unfortunately ring true at times, but it didn't stop us enjoying ourselves!

Overall, the Alcudia Park is a great choice for young families looking for an all-inclusive holiday if you are happy to be mostly beach and hotel based, but the surrounding area is disappointing if you like strolling out in the evening after dinner.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ladyp1000
Reviewed 3 September 2009

We stayed for one week at this hotel in August for our annual summer break. The hotel was lovely, situated right on the beach and with a beautiful pool and surrounding area. The food was excellent probably the best we have ever had and we have travelled throughout Europe and to the Carribean. There are speciality nights including a fish night where lobster, langoustines, prawns, cockles, oysters and a vast variety of other fish were served - as much as you could eat! A grill evening where steak, chops and various meats were served and cooked on BBQ grill in front of you. They even had fruits cut into beautiful arrangements with a dark and white chocolate fountain for dipping!

The room itself was ok but we did not pay for a seaview and were therefore situated on the road side and as previous other reviewers have stated it can be noisy with early morning deliveries.

My only gripe is that all inclusive guests have to queue in the evening for drinks at the bar - there is no table service. Paying guests also have to queue in a long line behind the all inclusive guests! Not ideal not having table service whilst watching the entertainment and not good queuing at a very busy bar!!

If you are not all inclusive I would suggest eating lunch and getting drinks elsewhere in the evening and not at the hotel bar. Drinks are cheaper outside of the hotel and you obviously get the table service. The lunch food is ok in the hotel but the all inclusive guests get a good deal and paying customers do not! Eat elsewhere for lunch.

Playa de Muro is a lovely area - quiet with some lovely bars and restaurants unlike Alcudia centre itself where the 'mad mile' consists of busy and loud bars and clubs all touting for your business - not our cup of tea hence we only went once and couldn't wait to catch a cab back to the peaceful Playa de Muro.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Sdow
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The hotel itself was very good, food excellent, staff lovely and helpful the only thing that let the hotle down for me was our room. The toilet door would not close properly, the view was of a side street and was above the delivery entrance which meant that you were woken up VERY EARLY by staff and deliveries also bin lorry called every day at lunch time so not very pleasant eating on balcony. You did have the option to upgrade your room 18 Euro per night for sea view and 30 Euro per night pool view. I thought that this was outrageous considering th money we had already shelled out. I have travelled a ll around the world and have never been asked for extra money for a good room!! The room let the holiday down for me so I don't feel that I would return to this hotel if I wasn't guaranteed a better room!!! Sitting out on the balcony is one of the pleasures of getting away from it all and this was not a pleasant experience for us!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2009

1 week all inclusive. Absolutely brilliant. Staff extremely friendly and helpfull. Food was very delicious, didn't think for once to go out for dinner, just to try something else during the week, however, more seating outside for dinner at night would be preferable. The Restaurant is rather noicy due to the business of the place. Located in a typical tourist area, but no need to seek out of the resort, we had everything we needed. Entertainment at night was fabilous, had a good laugh all included in the price, also the cocktails at night. You'll just have to live with the Germans, sorry to say.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank puller
Reviewed 6 June 2009

The hotel is located about one hour on foot from the Port of Alcudia, the same distance is to Can Picafort. We usually went to the Port and Picafort by taxi (about 10 Euro). The buses come late. Genarally, there is not much to see around. If you feel like sightseeing, you can go to the old town of Alcudia, or other destinations around the Alcudia district.
When it comes to the facilities, every day there was some kind of animation every determined hour. As I remember there was aqua aerobics at 12am, some nordic walking, aerobics. Moreover the kids can join the mini and maxi club, where they can play. So I think you don't have to wory, that your child will be bored. It won't as there are many children coming to the hotel. Frankly speaking It was really hard to relax while eating during the beakfast or dinner, as the kids shouted all the time and their parents did not seem to pay any attention to it.

Majority of the hotel quests consistutes German. I think 80% of all quests came with their children (avagare age 1-11), there were also some old pensioneers. I could hardly see any single, just a few couples.
It is NOT a place for people 20-26 as Alcudia is rather place to relax with children on the beach.
Staff is the best ever, very helpful, attendant, smiling, kind.

When it comes to the beach - it is sandy, and both the beach and the sea are very clean. But WATCH OUT - the closer to Can Picafort, the beach is more ugly and dirty.

The Spanish are very hostile and nice. They are very careful and pay attention to safety around them eg. the man shouted from the car at some strange children when the were cycling on the wrong side of the street, and you can easily recognize Spanish people, as the always stop to pass the passerbies crossing the road.

All in all I would recommend the hotel for those who want to have some nice view holiday with their kids or elderly couples.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Katichanel
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I stayed in this hotel in April 2009 with 2 children aged 12 and 2. We all loved this hotel with its great location near to shops, right on the beach and within walking distance to a wonderful national park. The staff were helpful and friendly and the food was great.
I have travelled to a number of destinations worldwide and this is the first hotel that I would be happy to come back to year after year. This is maybe a lot to do with the fact that I have fallen in love with the Island and have just returned from a 10 day trip to Calas De Mellorca (which was not a s good a Alcudia for us) but I feel that I would be disappointed if I stayed anywhere else as other hotel would have a hard job to compete.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
#2 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Iberostar Ciudad Blanca
Iberostar Ciudad Blanca
#8 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Iberostar Alcudia Park? Share your experiences!