“Disappointed, this place is the Easyjet of hotels it charges you for everything!”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2014

These numerous good reviews leave me quite baffled as I obviously did not experience what they have!
Let's start with the good things,the location of the hotel is great, easy access to the beach with lovely blue waters. The hotel itself is quite big relatively clean, nice pools that are not too over crowded, finding a sunbed can be a bit challenging but not impossible. Rooms are ok, basic really nothing special, bathrooms could do with a bit of an upgrade in my opinion.
Now for the rest.......you are charged for everything at this hotel, there is a safe in the room but if you want to use it you have to pay 18 euros per week, you want wifi? Have to pay for that too and even then the network is still so bad you can't use it, our room's location couldn't even detect the internet, you are only allowed free access 30 mins per day in the lobby and it is also bad there!
You want beach towels? Guess what?! You have to pay! 10 euro deposit for each towel and once you return them with the receipt you'd been given you will get your money back, this system I believe renders peoples' behaviour over the towels to become quite apalling! I was falsely accused by a man to be sitting on his towels and when his partner pointed out where they were he walked off muttering that someone must have moved them there and didn't even apologise to me! The food was very mediocre nothing impressive, we were half board and so at the restaurants (excluding breakfast) there is absolutely nothing to drink at the buffet, you want water? Then PAY! I find this a bit much, I have taken half board packages at many other hotels and when we ate the drinks (excluding alcohol) have always been available free of charge, most certainly the water!
And now for the service, there are 2 breakfast restaurants one which you must reserve and stays open half an hour longer than the main restaurant. When we woke up late one morning I called the reception to try and get through to the restaurant to see if they still had availability and was immeditaley told by the receptionist that the reservation card is only through her and right now the restaurant is fully booked. Let me tell you that after that we only had breakfast at this restaurant and on the busiest of days it was only half full!
My almost 3 year old boy had an accident while we were there just outside the entrance to the hotel and his scalp was bleeding, I ran to the reception to ask for a doctor and the receptionist told me it is better to go to the hospital since he might need stitches and gave me directions, in the meantime not one of the 3 or 4 employees standing behind the front desk left their place to come and see if I needed help, hotel guests were getting us ice and looking for a doctor for us. When the bleeding stopped I went back and asked if the doctor could see us anyway so he can tell us whether we should go to the hospital or not, the receptionist called him and said "he is coming now" apparently that meant he would be on his way from his clinic and it would take about 30 mins! I was furious at this attitude had I known it would take this long I would have directly gone to the hospital, but i thought "now" meant a few minutes. The doctor arrives and I wish he didn't he was totally useless first saying no need for stitches but then asking me if I want to give him stitches, how the hell should I know?! I am not the doctor here! We ended up leaving him and going to hospital where he did get stitches in the end.
Last but not least be prepared to be woken up by multiple slamming doors as the doors to the rooms are quite heavy and are made to slam shut pretty loud once you let go of them.

Would I come to Mallorca again? YES!
Would I come to this hotel again? NOOOOOOO!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank youngfamily08
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Although we sincerely regret reading that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa hotel fell short of your expectations, we are grateful for the time you spent to share your feedback on your overall holiday experience among us; we certainly believe that there is always room for improvement and your constructive critics will help us identify areas that could use more attention to detail.

We lament hearing that apparently you were not properly informed about our hotel and services and would like to take the opportunity to point out that a full description of our hotels is available both on our website and brochure, as you can see all extra charges are duly reported, including the use of the safe, the internet access, the towels’ deposit as well as the drinks not included at dinner for guests staying on half board basis; we strongly encourage you for future holidays planning to have a look at our website or to contact our call center from where we can offer you a personalized booking guidance and give you all the relevant information on the destination of your choice so you can plan your holidays accordingly.

Moreover we sincerely regret reading that your son hurt himself outside the hotel and to hear that you did not feel well cared after on this occasion, we understand that it is always a stressful situation for any parent, this is why our receptionist on duty offered you the option to call a taxi and gave you all directions for you to take him to the hospital’s emergencies; As soon as you decided that it was better for him to see a doctor onsite we called the doctor for you, as the doctor does not stay at our hotel, it may take at least half an hour for him to come over, this is why the option to bring your son to the hospital was offered in the first place; we sincerely hope that your little man is fully recovered as we speak.

At IBEROSTAR we have a true passion for gastronomy and are fully aware that meals are an aspect of primary importance for our guests to enjoy their holidays abroad, this is why our expert team of chefs strives to surprise our guests with high quality culinary delights both local and international, so as be able to savor many different flavors at every single meal and make it one of the best added values to their holiday among us; the quality and variety of our buffets are one of the prime pillars of our company and have been praised in many reviews on opinion portals and social medias, this is why we regret we were not able to satisfy your culinary wishes on this occasion.

Furthermore, thorough cleanliness is one of our priorities and we were disappointed to read that you found our hotel to be “relatively” clean, as it is indeed not reflective of our high standards of hygiene and cleanliness; for future occasions we invite you to contact our reception in case you find any shortage being to us of prime importance to offer total confidence in this area and we will be enchanted to adjust any situation which is not in accordance with our established standards.

On the other hand, we are glad you enjoyed our location, with direct access to the promenade and the beautiful beach of Playa de Muro which is ideal for families with young children thanks to the many lifeguards on duty all day and the shallow water affording relaxing sea baths for all ages.

Please know, your feedback will be shared with the appropriate managers for further review. Thank you again for visiting us and we hope to get a chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

Kind Regards,
Online Reputation Manager

There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was the second time we have visited this hotel and it did not disappoint. The food is excellent with a great variety of choices. Never have we been to a hotel where the staff are so friendly and helpful and at all times professional . The beach is one of the best in the world and we have visited many places around the world and the sea lovely for swimming

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Carolyn N
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here as a family, for a chilled out break from work and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Staff made the visit for us and our 3 year old daughter. The entertainment in the evening was really good quality. Lovely clean, stylish resort with great access to the beach and local facilities.

The Food was so good at lunch and dinner that you don't need to go anywhere else.

Reasonable rates and great variation of offerings across the board.

Special Mention to Manolo who made it so special for our little daughter :-)

Room Tip: The Garden rooms are great if you want to be part of the action or even the balcony rooms over the e...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leighonardo
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had booked a short 4.5 day all-inclusive stay, wanting sunshine, beach and a quiet, carefree time. We kind of got what we expected....
Several travel agents had advertised the 'Playa' as being the hotel for couples and the 'Park' as being the hotel for families. This is not the case, the children are allowed everywhere and rules like 'no ball playing in the pool' are not at all enforced. I am not opposed to having children around that have fun but the place should not be advertised as being 'quiet, for couples'.
The hotel is big at adding costs to your bill! For example, the use of the safe is recommended but is not included in the room price! You have to pay a daily fee plus a deposit. I wonder why a deposit for a safe is needed???
The beach is - of course - not private and the use of the recliners and sun umbrellas at the beach has to be paid to a local superviser. The service does not come cheap!
Also, the hotel should not advertize its free WiFi - the service might be free for 30min every 24 hours, but the connection is so slow that it is impossible to even open a simple webpage, not speaking of downloading emails!
All in all the hotel features everything that is advertised on their homepage and more.... but the overall effect is a cramped, packed environment where every square meter is used for some activity. The result is a relativley noisy space, where you have to fight for your space around the pool, for a table at the restaurant or bar, for the waiter's attention and for access to the buffet. The evening activities are quite loud - which is not unexpected - and can be heard everywhere, including in your room (badly insulated doors). The main stage animation and the musicians at the poolside bar even compete with each other, making it nearly impossible to enjoy the music without hearing the main stage in the background. It would be nice to at least have one bar to retreat to, for example in the lobby or on the roof, where things are a bit quieter and where only grownups are allowed.
Food: The food is not bad and the choice is quite large as expected for such a big hotel (however a bit too much on the 'fast-food' side of things). Also, the cooks are knowledgeable in the preparation and you can see that they have done their best. However, the ingredients are of minor quality and thus the result is not always satisfactory.
Rooms: The rooms are standard, climatized and clean. The doors insulate very badly and you can hear every word spoken outside.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
3  Thank Malou G
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Malou,

We lament reading that apparently you were not properly informed by your travel agent about our hotel and its services; as you can see on our website, our hotel is advertised as suitable for families with children and couples, of course during the summer season when schools are closed, you may find more children than during periods outside the school holidays; the use of the safe is reported to be on extra charge as well as the Wi Fi apart from the 30 minutes courtesy connection per day. In Majorca we have two adults only hotels for those guests who prefer a more relaxing and quiet atmosphere; for future occasions please do not hesitate to contact our call center from where we can offer you a personalized booking guidance and help you select the hotel that best meets your holiday needs and wishes.

All the beaches of the Spanish coastlines are public, this is why hoteliers have no possibility to guarantee a private area with free sunbeds and parasols for their guests; their cost is decided by the local town hall.

Moreover, the passion for gastronomy being one of the prime pillars of our company, we deeply regret reading your comments on our buffets; Our talented team of Chefs prepares on a daily basis a wide array of local and international dishes from ingredients of prime quality to cater for all diet requirements and please all palates, it is disheartening to read we were not able to conquer yours.

On the other hand, we are glad to read you felt comfortable in the room we accommodated you in; our goal is to provide comfortable and spotless accommodations in unbeatable locations and we thank you for letting us know you were satisfied with yours.

Hopefully we will be able to fulfill your expectations in the near future, and remain at your entire disposal for any request you might have regarding coming vacations to make sure that you book an IBEROSTAR hotel that can make all your wishes come true.

Kind Regards,
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel deserves it's excellence rating. Why ? Simply because it is a rare example of being a very well managed hotel and exceptional and caring staff. Rooms above average for this 'beach hotel'. Dining Room which is self service has a very wide menu option and extraordinarily for a large hotel can really boast excellent and well prepared food. The beach which is within 100 yds of the hotel is magnificent with safety and an aquamarine pollution free sea. Maybe somewhat busy at times as in the high season with very little 'room at the inn'. Part of the Iberostar chain and in my view the best in their hotel group in Mallorca.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a superior room option
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank expert186605
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We spent 10 days at Iberostar Albufera Playa in July 2014.
2 adults + 1 child (6 years old).

We didn't use a travel agency, I planned the whole vacation - plane, rental car and hotel. After 4-5 years of active vacations, we wanted a nice, hassle-free, lazy, lay-on-the-beach vacation and that's exactly what we got.

Room: booked a sea-view room and got room 7332. When checking in we were told by the receptionist that room 7332 is his favorite...yeah, sure... After 10 days, we agreed 100%. I attached a pic taken from the balcony. View aside, the rooms are all quite spacious and nicely furnished.

Food & Drinks: great diversity and really good food. Breakfast and dinner were clearly the focus, but lunch was ok as well. Plus, as an All Inclusive guest, you can always find something good to eat and there's a long list of drinks you can try. A not so nice feel was given by the hunger struck German and British hillbillies not opting for All Inclusive but going on a food hunt in the afternoon...one would be talking to the bartender while others fill their backpacks with sandwiches...niiiiiiiice.

Entertainment: there was a show every evening, some were good and some were average, but each of them was a nice and relaxed ending to a long day in the sun. Children loved them all. The best show was the one performed by the hotel's entertainment team on Thursdays if I remember correctly - Star Friends. Funny, dynamic and enjoyable weather you're 5 or 105. The local entertainment team is a great + for the hotel. Our little one spent 2-3 days with them and my wife went to 1-2 fitness classes (biking and others) every other day.
And there's the dance at the end of each day...we all joined in, great fun!

Service: the entire hotel staff is there to make your vacation great. We tipped all the time not because we felt like we have to (like you do in some places) but because the quality of the service deserved it.

All in all, if we decide to go back to Mallorca for another vacation, we'll go to the same hotel and try to book the same room.

Room Tip: Sea view double 7332 - probably the best double in the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank AlinDF
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My now husband and I visited the IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa on the 31st May 2014 and were completely overwhelmed on arrival at the beautiful reception area and view of the pools. Whilst we waited to check in we were provided we a glass of champagne which was the best way to start our honeymoon. We decided to upgrade the room to a view of the gardens as I had booked a standard room which looked out over the back. I believe it was 70 euros to upgrade for a week.

The rooms was clean, well presented and had the most amazing views of the hotel, pools and even the sea. There was a fridge which was stocked with coke, water and apple juice (if I remember correctly). The food throughout the week was lovely and so much choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only thing I would say is there was a lot of pork and sometimes in things you wouldn't expect such as grilled tomatoes. However there really is so much choice; breads, meat, fish, pasta, veg, and lots of puddings too.

There were families and couples at the hotel I think that the IBEROSTAR Albufera Park which is next door but also attached - they shared bars and entertainment - I think is aimed more at families although I could be wrong. We obviously did see children there but it was more young children and babies, rather than older kids and teenagers.

There are 3 pools which varied in depth which I didn't notice until a few days in. Plenty of beds to use, we never struggled to find somewhere to lie down and enjoy the sunshine (which was really warm around 30 degrees). There was evening entertainment every night which normally started with a kids hour and then moved on to something for the adults. One night they did Lion King which I loved let alone the children.

Obviously if you go all inclusive there is a wide selection of drinks and cocktails available. The bar is open until 11pm or 12am, and there is also a "disco" for people who want to drink until 1am.

The beach is literally at the bottom of the hotel so you walk from the hotel right onto the beach which has an amazing jetty overlooking the clear sea. You can even see the little fish. I suspect that the snorkeling is brilliant, but I'm not that good with the sea :)

We did hire bicycles from the hotel a few minutes walk away, which was great fun. I think 10 euros for an hour. There is a shop 1 minute walk away which has everything you need e.g. snacks, drinks, even gifts and clothes. And there are also a couple of restaurants a minute walk away if you fancy eating out.

A short taxi ride away and you are at the local bars and more shops, the taxi cost about 7 euros I think. However the one day we did catch the bus which is right outside the hotel (you can get the timetable from reception) and that was a couple of euros each. We did get slightly lost though once we got off the bus so I would say use a taxi.

Another tip if you book with Thomas Cook you can speak to reception and get a free 15 mins massage at the hotel spa and also a meal at the A La Carte restaurant at the hotel. The massage was so good we decided to book another 30 minutes massage each.

All in all we had an amazing time - quick transfer (around 40 mins to hotel), excellent hotel, wonderful staff, amazing food, perfect weather and great location. We have already recommended the hotel to family and friends, and we can't wait to return too.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room when you book as the standard rooms face over the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#8 of 30 in Playa de Muro
IBEROSTAR Ciudad Blanca
IBEROSTAR Ciudad Blanca
#8 of 49 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa? Share your experiences!