My husband and I came to do the Mallorca 312 cyclosportive, which is based at the Iberostar Playa de Muro Village. Accommodation and event entry packages were available, but we found it more cost-effective to book a week's package holiday with Jet2 and enter the event separately.
We were given a pleasant welcome by the front-of-house staff, and told we had been given an upgrade to a family room in a separate building. I don't think it WAS a family room - it would have been a squash with two adults and two children - but it was a good size, and had a little kitchen area with a fridge and hotplate and a kettle, a bathroom with an actual bath, and - oh, joy! - a proper double bed (which was more than adequately comfortable) rather than two single beds shoved together. We also had a balcony.
The standard rooms do look smaller than the rooms in other hotels in which we've stayed.
The front of the hotel is on the main street in Playa de Muro, which is fairly busy, but the back is quiet and the complex is well laid out, with swimming pools, terraces, and plenty of sunbeds. There's an exit directly on to the beach and the sunrise over the sea is beautiful.
Now, a warning. This is a very sport-focused hotel and the guests appear to be mostly cyclists and triathletes. If the sight of Lycra at the breakfast table would put you right off your ensaimada, this maybe isn't the best hotel to choose for your holiday. It's also very international and there weren't a lot of English speaking guests there at the same time as we were. I can imagine that this might have implications for the languages spoken in the entertainment and the kids' clubs.
The whole area is clean and kept tidy, and our rooms were cleaned daily, beds made, bins emptied, and our belongings otherwise left where we'd put them rather than being moved around to facilitate cleaning. The lass who did our room offered to pop back later if we were in the room when she came round. Staff are pleasant and friendly but not intrusive.
We chose half board and had more than enough choice of well-cooked and nicely-presented food at breakfast and at the evening meal. I don't think there would be any problem finding enough to eat for someone who has food sensitivities or is on a self-imposed restricted diet, and there was certainly enough for us to fuel our long bike rides without having to have more than a snack in the middle of the day. There's show cooking at both meals, there's plenty of everything at the start and the end of the period when the restaurant is open, there are Mallorcan specialities and interesting meats and vegetables for the adventurous, there's pasta and extremely good thin crust pizza for those who prefer cross-cultural athlete cuisine, and there are always lots of puddings.
We particularly appreciated the early start to breakfast - 7am - and knowing now that there's cold food available in the dining room for those who have early flights or whatever means that in future we're likely to take advantage of very early starts.
Having read in the hotel information that the taking away of food from the restaurant was not permitted, I was surprised at the first meal to see people walking out bold as you like with handfuls of bananas, but came round to assuming that the mounds of bananas at each meal were put there for that purpose.
The swimming pools are kept clean and are slightly salty without any intrusive chlorine smell. The outdoor swimming pools have areas of a metre or more in depth that are large enough to swim lengths in, and with it being relatively early in the season, and the water being cold, I had very little company in the water when I went for a late afternoon swim.
There's a spa, which we didn't visit because the weather was good enough to be outdoors, and there are several shops on site - a little newsagent/general store, a fancy bag shop, and a cycling shop (the ubiquitous Max Hurzeler) selling kit at all points on the price range. There's also a Spar across the road and [whisper] an Assos factory outlet shop selling top-end kit at a discount.
Someone at the Iberostar Playa de Muro Village was the genius behind the idea of the Mallorca 312 sportive, an event that involves cycling around the perimeter of the island in less than 14 hours, and the ride starts and finished right outside the hotel. This was its fifth year, and it's increasing in popularity, and deservedly so. The organisational smoothness and level of on-route support put most British sportives to shame. The shorter (167km) event that runs alongside the 312 was my first-ever international sporting event. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Would we go back? Try keeping us away!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa de Muro is a veritable paradise on Earth and the IBEROSTAR Playa de Muro Village is an amazing hotel that offers the best ambiance and services to spend some perfect days in this marvellous part of the island of Mallorca. Rest and relaxation are guaranteed at the Playa de Muro Village hotel: from the Superior Double rooms to the Suites there’s a whole host of idyllic spaces for relaxation and comfort, including a varied pillow menu that you can choose from. The SPA Sensations is the place for those who are looking for a bit of peace and quiet, while the Gust restaurant is for lovers of haute cuisine. Children will also be delighted at the Playa de Muro Village hotel. Waiting for them here is a Miniclub with expert instructors with whom they’ll do all kinds of activities, games, pastimes, sports and that will fill their days with pleasant emotions. Plus, the hotel features direct access to Playa de Muro, six restaurants, three bars, a chill out zone, entertainment, outdoor pools for children and adults, free premium Wi-Fi, a new fitness centre, tennis courts and the most complete facilities for cyclists (with a capacity for up to 1,200 bicycles). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Lastminute, Iberostar, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your IBEROSTAR Playa de Muro Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Playa De Muro Village Hotel Playa De Muro
- Playa De Muro Iberostar
- IBEROSTAR Playa De Muro Village Majorca