Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Marriott
US$234
US$148
Agoda.com
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$527
US$448
US$107
US$95
Coriacea Boutique Resort(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$77
Trip.com
US$630
3,212 results
All reviewssand boxloca vorethai restaurantquan spasandbox restaurantsand barpool villabreakfast buffetdeluxe roomturtle villagekids poolmai khao beachthai boxingeggs benedictspecial thanksmain poolspa treatments
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2012

May 2012 - I spent a weekend here. Great resort and staff. Villa was great and very comfortable. What a treat!!! Overall, I had a very relaxing weekend. Next time, I will try out the JW Marriott next door just to compare. I was in Singapore for a biz trip that week and didn't want to spend my weekend there so I decided to fly to Phuket instead. I spent about US$2000 total for the weekend incl. roundtrip air (Silkair) from/to Singapore.

Positives:
- Great breakfast and I was satisfied with the food overall.
- Hotel provides regular scheduled shuttle service to the real nightlife in Patong (1.5 hours each way). They charge 700 baht for roundtrip on a new/clean minibus. Courteous driver and was on time.
- Others complained about Taxi Mafia. I haven't noticed anything like that at the resort. If you need a taxi, hotel will call a local taxi for you (privately operated). The driver was very courteous and I had no issues with them. From the airport to hotel, take metered taxi outside of the airport. It was about 350baht if I remember correctly. Courteous driver as well.
- Sandbox bar, restaurant was great. Drink and food price is high but for a resort with nothing around it (not even a place to buy a beer), it was fine. Think about what they charge for 16oz of a coke at the movie theater, you can tolerate the price at this resort. Great view at the dining area though. You are paying for the views.
- large pool at the Sandbox was great.
- Wonderful and helpful staff!!
- Not many kids there so it was great (at least for me).
- Nice Gym and has everything there. Others have complained about the size of the gym but it was fine. How big do you want? I barely saw anyone working out during the entire weekend so no issues there.

Negatives:
- Just know that there's NOTHING around the resort due to isolated location. I told you again, there's NOTHING around the resort.
- If you are looking for the fun Phuket nightlife, this may not be the place for you unless you want to commute 3-4 hours daily.
- Huge beach area but forget about getting near the water. Huge waves and dangerous rip-tide will suck you (adult) into the ocean. While I was walking on the beach, I was thinking about how many people may have died trying to swim here. Forget about getting your kids near the water. Again, nice beach front but pretty scary if you think about it.

That's pretty much all the time I have for this review. Enjoy the trip!

Room Tip: get the villa
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank JoeA-Austin
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I just spent 3 nights at this hotel with my friend and we have nothing but good things to say. The decor of the hotel is very modern yet has a very nice relaxing feel. The bedroom was bright, clean and a good size and a great bathroom. The hotel was extremely well kept and very clean also. The staff were so nice and friendly and the hotel was very well run with no delays checking in or out. On request we got an early check in and a late check out without any hassle. The food was really good but a little expensive. There are 2 swimming pools, a kids pool with a water slide which is also right next to a lovely indoor play area. I have two small children and the swimming pool and play area would have been great for them if they were with me.mthe children's pool is completely separate from the main pool which is great if people don't want to be bothered by children. The main pool looks onto a beautiful, private, clean beach. There is a bar and 2 restaurant beside the pool and every time we lay on a sun lounger a staff member was straight over with complimentary water and cold hand towels which I thought was a really nice touch. Overall our experience was unbeatable apart from bad weather but because the hotel was so nice we actually didn't mind about the weather. BTW, the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! I will definitely go back again soon!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank George451
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This resort is an incredible sight, it's beautiful. The staff are friendly, helpful and a very personal service. The rooms are modern, unique style. The resort has it's own beach, but at this time of year it's red flagged (that's a good point,as so many places in Phuket neglect to erect the red flags as it's bad for business !).
The resort is a little of the beaten track, quiet , very little else around the area. The airport is a 15 minute ride away and you don't get any aircraft noise.
The breakfast buffet was inclusive for me, and was lovely , faultless, it really was something.
The restaurants are expensive though. The hotel wanted 317 THB for a glass of milk, which is a lot more than the 41 THB the supermarket charged for the same bottle and brand.
The villa , has a design flaw , although there is a small swimming pool and sun beds, they are shaded and you can't really do any sunbathing at the villa, it's to overcast with trees, this is common for all of the villas.
The villa is very open plan, the toilet and shower and huge bath form a long corridor, not very private unless you pull across the sliding door.
The other problem was the air con, the rooms are dreadfully hot at night, even on the coldest setting, I didn't sleep well due to the heat.
See the tips section please

Room Tip: tip 1 : Don't pay more than 500 THB for a taxi ride from the airport,, haggle a little. tip 2 . If you want to sunbathe, ask for a room close to the beach, as sunbathing at the villa isn't really practical due to the shading design of the rooms. tip 3. If you like running, then the road outside the hotel goes right round the lake. One lap is 3.40km (according to my gps watch) and in the mornings , the trees provide enough shade, it's a very nice early morning run. tip 4. The hotel has a selection of DVDs which are free. tip 5. Wines are far cheaper by the bottle and the restaurant have a wine stand , for wines they have overstocked and are selling at cut price,, reasonable wines at a decent price. tip 6. Try and keep all of the windows and doors closed, and ask room service to respect this, so as to keep mosquitos out, which will otherwise sneak in and wait for a night time feast on you !
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cleversod
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We Stayed at the hotel for 17 nights in May and wanted total chill out time. This hotel is just that. The room was beautiful and bright,with great Internet access. We have stayed in many far east hotels before but have to say the breakfast was one of the best thanks to Jinny and Chappie and the rest of the waiting staff what a lovely greeting we got every morning.
The pool and grounds are beautiful and the beach is amazing.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I made the booking on-line after reading a few good reviews, at my brides's advice, I called the hotel a few days before travel to inform them that we are honeymooners. After a short taxi drive from the airport, we entered what felt like a natural reserve or park. After apassing two hotels on the right and lakes on the left, not to mention wonderful vegitation, we arrived at the hotel. We were greeted very warmly with cold refreshing drinks made with lime juice and ginger and cold - jasmine - scented - towels. After a very short wait we were informed that we were upgraded to a villa suite because we are honeymooners.

We then were taken in a golf cart to our villa and what an amazing surprize it was!! Private villas with a front yard, a closet area, then comes the bed and the sitting area and a french window that opens directly to a private pool in the back patio that is also equipped with two pool chairs and umbrella, not to mention a waterfall type shower. On the right of the bed/sitting area is a full bath with the biggest tub I've ever seen, a bath cubicle two wash basins with mirrors, toiletries, hair dryer etc, and of course a toilet. The bath "quarters" also opens directly to the back patio were you can access the shower or descent into the pool via steps.
The decor is just amazing, tropical without being pretentious, lighting is great, and the room fully equiped with DVD/CDplayer , LED screen, coffee maker, mini bar, etc.
The facility is just lovely, lovely use of water bodies, wide variety of flowers and vegetation, walking from the main building to the villas and then the pool area and restaurants and finally the beach gives a wonderful feel of being in a true retreat shielded from all annoyance of modern life yet having all conveniances at your finger tips.

In the main building there is a busines center and a bar at the top floor and a coffee shop, gym and a large restaurant that serves the breakfast buffet as well as ala cart lunch and dinner. The breakfast buffet is absolutely the best. Tons of first class food catering to every taste. Fresh fruits, smoothies, muesli, waffles, pancakes, crepes (try their butter scotch banana sauce, sinful), oriental station, omlette, serials, juices, bread and bakery section (with changing items daily), hot bakes area, 3 more stations with changing varieties every day and a French cheese platter. The restaurant has a patio that lies on top of a man made water body full of fish and overlooking a manmade water fall. I've never had better quality of food or service.

There is also a coffee shop that serves pastries and coffee. If you walk down to the pool and veer left you will see a two-storey building with two restaurants. On the ground floor there is the Snad Box, which is a funky - beach bar - restaurant - hang out place, while on the top floor, oh my god there is the star of the show (except for breakfast), the Takieng. We dined there twice and both were wonderful experiences. I recall the stemed fish with garlic ginger sauce, out of this world, the salads, and of course the sticky rice with mango.

The beach is just lovely and gives a wonderful feel of privacy with soft shell crabs running all around! wonderful serene view.. The current is a bit strong so unless you are a good swimmer stick to sun bathing and wetting your feet (like we did!).

Every eveing we'd return to find a different kind of complimentary dessert waiting for us. The room was made twice everyday. We complained once about a worm that fell into the pool, within minutes we had a full service team of three: one with a net, one with a special vacuum and a supervisor who got the pool cleaned in minutes.

The only mishap was that my wife lost her I-phone, wasn't a new one, but still it was disappointing. THe staff did their best to help including launching a full investigation, but the phone was never found, still we didn't allow that to affect the experience.

The spa was extremely lavish and really worth the price we paid as it was the most lavish we tried (we did try the best in Chiang Mai for example).

The only disadvantage is that it is far away from all attractions, but taxis are available and besides we were just looking for this kind of privacy and serenity.

The Hotel is very clean, the service wonderful and the food (especially breakfast) out of this world. I'd definately go there again, in fact having seen other parts of Phuket, I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: try to get an upgrade to a villa, even if you pay extra, it is absolutely worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple