“Beautiful hotel for a beach getaway”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I was fortunate to book this hotel for six nights using Marriott points, and my husband and I were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a 1BR pool villa upon our arrival. The villa itself was beautiful - architecturally interesting, clean lines and modern finishes, and comfortable amenities. The most amazing feature was the small private pool with walkouts directly from the living area and the bathroom - perfect for a quiet early morning or late night soak! The grounds themselves are rather large, and our villa in particular was on the outskirts, so it was a bit of a walk to get to the pool, restaurants, beach, etc. - not a big deal for us, but it might be for some, though there are golf cart drivers to take you around the hotel.

About the hotel: The hotel itself is beautiful, with lovely and well thought out details. The Thai restaurant was delicious. It's a bit on the pricey side (of course, being in a hotel), but the curries were excellent.The beach was not safe to swim every day due to the high surf and dangerous waves, but it was always a lovely spot to catch the sunset. On a rare calm day, the hotel provided stand-up paddleboards, which was a cool way to float around on the ocean. The pool area was a great place to relax - poolside with a tasty drink, or simply soaking in the tub with the jets. On the beach off the hotel property (and unaffiliated, I assume) was an area that offered $14 thai massages - what a deal!

The only potential downside is the location of the hotel on Phuket Island. As other reviews have mentioned, it is rather far from any bustling town or nightlife, so plan your transportation carefully.The hotel transport worked well - be sure to book a round trip transfer if you plan on going to Patong. Other hotel guests had told us that it was difficult and more expensive to try to get a ride back while in Patong, due to the distance. Closer to the hotel, be sure to use the hotel bikes to go to Turtle Village (right next to the other Marriott resorts) and pick up a few things at the market. There are also some other resorts and small restaurant/laundry service shacks nearby, but not much else. Definitely take advantage of the resort's excursion offerings to see more than just the resort (Koh Phi Phi is a must!).

The hotel staff was amazing. We were always welcomed warmly (especially by some of the breakfast staff who we saw quite regularly), and everyone was eager to help or offer any suggestions on where to go and what to see. All in all, we had a fantastic stay in Phuket, and I wouldn't hesitate to book here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JaeTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (3,137)

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We just spend three amazing nights at the Renaissance Phuket. I have never written a review here before, but this is the first time I was inspired to write. We were looking for a few days of awesome beach relaxation as this was our second time to Phuket. First time we hit up the touristy areas of Patong and the rest, and this time we were looking for just relaxation and boy did we find it at the Renaissance.

The property itself is quite close to the airport, a 600 baht taxi ride away. It's set way off from any main roads and is set along Mai Khao beach. So once you enter the resort, it's like you are miles away from everywhere and surrounded by the lush nature and gorgeous scenery of the grounds. The resort itself is beautiful and full of green and tropicalness everywhere...complete with fun lizards and frogs at night and crabs near the beach (none of the wildlife enters your room, and I wasn't bothered by it at all).

Our room was a regular (Deluxe I think they called it) room with a king bed on the third floor. I thought it was very nice, very modern, supremely clean, and well appointed. A huge bathroom with a great big tub and wonderful rainfall shower. Our bed was huge, fluffy, and comfortable. A small balcony where you can sit each morning for coffees. A nice TV with many cable channels. Everything you could possibly need. To be honest we weren't in the room much, only for a few breaks from the sun every now and again, but it was a gorgeous room. Housekeeping did a great job and we never had to wait or anything.

The pool is gorgeous and although not huge, it was more than big enough for the crowd that was staying at the resort when we were there. There are tons of chairs scattered all over the pool area, the grassy lawn in front, and all over the beach. And they will bring you drinks/snacks to anywhere you'd like to set up for the day. The pool bar offers excellent smoothies, many good snacks, and sunset two-for-one cocktails. If you are looking to simply chill around the pool/beach, listen to relaxing music, enjoy great drinks and snacks, and just live the good life for a few days, then this it for you.

The beach itself was very empty and private, and that's great! There are no waves, and they have complimentary paddle boards for you to try out, and that was cool. The water is totally clean and beautiful, although not as clear and crystal blue as other beaches that I have been to in Phuket. The sand on the beach was clean and nice, although not sparkling white like others. So the beach itself is not the best Phuket has to offer, although it is empty and untouched and beautiful. If you sparkling clear water with tons of fish and such for snorkling, take a day trip to PhiPhi or another place like that to check it out!

As for the other guests, I would say it was a good mix of families and couples. Although families are welcome, I would say it's more oriented to older kids as there didn't seem to be tons of kid-oriented activities (although they did have a "kid's zone"), and I think there were more couples than families. Just to note, we are a gay couple, and I think maybe there was one other gay couple. But we were made to feel equally welcomed and pampered and I would say that it is perfectly friendly for gay couples as well.

As for dining, there are three main restaurants where you can have dinner. The Thai restaurant was delicious and I love Thai food anyways, so I was sold. The main restaurant at dinner time offers a buffet on Fridays, and while it was good I wasn't completely in love with the dinner buffet. The poolside bar also has a full menu which is great and filled with many interesting fusion-y delights. As for breakfast, although I noticed a few negative reviews here, rest assured those are from some seriously picky people as I was completely in heaven every morning. We ate breakfast late each day so as to combine breakfast and lunch and just fully gorge and pig out. The selections are endless with tons of pastries complete with jams galore and even a huge thing of fresh honeycomb you can slice off, a great waffle/pancake/crepe station with the most delicious banana-caramel sauce spiked with kaffir lime leaves, a cereal station, a local food section with great thai noodles and rice dishes, some porridge and other interesting things, a huge station full of fresh juices and smoothies and a HUGE juicer where they will stick in any fruit/veggie you want and whip you up a juice, a great local fruit station with guava, mango, dragon fruit, watermelon, and the like all-you-can-eat fresh coconuts sliced open for you to drink, a wonderful salad station with salads and toppings and also cheese/salmon/olives/etc, an omelet station made fresh to order however you want it, a vegetarian section with many local dishes, and so much more I can't even remember! It was seriously fabulous and we spent a few hours there every day. You've got to try their wonderfully foamy lattes as well, and their bloody mary station. The staff at breakfast was SO friendly and wonderful each day, brought you everything you needed, and chatted you up a bit each morning as they remember all of the guests. For me, I had ZERO complaints and I thought it was a magnificent buffet.

As for other activities, I did do some muay thai kickboxing with a trainer Boom one morning, and he certainly worked my butt off. Also they have a decent 24-hour gym that is small but sufficient, which we used to try and counterbalance the massive amount of binging we were doing. Unfortunately we were unable to get into the spa as it was booked when we tried to book on the same day, so be sure to make your spa appointments right when you arrive. However they have a cheap massage hut on the beach which is 400 bahts for an hour, and it was always busy with everyone enjoying body treatments. We did some foot scrubs and for that cheap, it was definitely worth it!

All in all, we had a truly amazing stay. If you are looking to really see all of Phuket and hit up the touristy areas, party and nightlife areas, and such, I would not recommend this resort as it is too far away from everything and not a lively action-filled place. But if you are looking for relaxation, and aren't looking to run around the island too much and are looking forward to just sitting by the pool all day (like we were), then this place is MORE than highly recommended. The staff were all so wonderful, the resort itself is completely gorgeous and looks just like the pictures, and we really just had a great time here. We stayed for 3 nights, which I would say it just the right amount of time. Any longer and we may have been bored and exhausted our eating options. We did take the shuttle to the neighboring Marriott one night, so you can enjoy all their restaurants as well. So for a shorter trip to enjoy just spending it on the resort property, you can't go wrong here. It was wonderful, and thanks so much to the Renaissance!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 3 February 2013

In November 2012, my husband and I, along with 2 other couples went on our first trip to Phuket. We stayed 2 nights in Patong Beach, and the last 2 night at the Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa.

Being architects and interior designers, we loved the layout, the look, the settings and the materials used in the detailing of this place. Our Deluxe rooms were as spacious, clean, comfortable as the photos on their website. The rest of the hotel made for perfect photo opportunities and places to ponder, glaze, stare and get inspired. The soft white sands on the beach behind the hotel made for wonderful sunset watching, or soul searching. The breakfast buffet was abundant with fresh & healthy choices, comfortable for long slow breakfast mornings. The Gym small but effective, with a sauna and jacuzzi. Right in front of the hotel was a 3-kilometer trail shaded by tall tress, around a large water reservoir you can comfortably use for power walking, biking or jogging. The staff we encountered were caring and very helpful.

The above accolades make this property a place I would usually rate Very Good to Excellent. But I couldn't give that this time because of the 2 "not so good" things below about this resort, that too me are very important for a truly sublime resort spa stay experience.

The Quan Spa was like the rest of the resort, a really nice eye candy to look at.
However, the massage and body wrap treatments we had was just below average compared to other comparably high-priced treatments at other high end resort spas (which we have been very fortunate to have been able to experience many times before). After the treatments, it felt "just ok" and it didn't take us to that "I'm in bliss heaven and I feel so fully relaxed/refreshed/ recharged/ or rejuvenated" - which is usually the feeling you get after a sublime, all senses arousing, well pampered body, perfectly executed treatments that are expected of a spa at this price range. So the spa experience for us was... well.... disappointing here.

The color of the water in the bathroom of our Deluxe rooms also came as a shock. The evening of our arrival, we were all sore and tired and when we saw the wonderfully big bath tub in the luxurious bathroom, we thought a bath was a great idea. But after turning on the water and letting it run for 15 minutes and filling the tub, then emptying it again, and refilling the water again....(we did this 3 times) we just couldn't get the water to run clear. It came out a deep greenish yellow color! Yikes! We called the front office and was told that the resort always filters and processes their own water supply (supplied from ground water) and guarantees that it is still safe to use, even though the water color is less than tempting. Apparently the color of the water is always greenish yellow at this resort, and gets even darker in shades when after a rain or heavy rain fall. Hmmmm.... OK..... but still, it would feel so much better and it would definitely look and feel so much safer to step into a clear bath tub or brush your teeth with clear colored water. Don't you think? The hotel house keeping manager even sent an apology note along with some churros and chocolate, explaining that the problem had been fixed by running the water for sometime in our bathroom. Nice touch... but still, when we tried the 2nd evening to fill the bath tub, the water color was still that dark greenish yellow color..... Oh well....

Perhaps, if it wasn't for the fact that the Renaissance Resort & Spa is a 5 star resort spa and part of the grand Marriot Family of hotels, we may not have expected more. But because it is, and such a beautiful resort, it just puts a real damper on the whole experience when the spa experience isn't up to par and the water color never ran clear.

So that is why, in the end, with a heavy heart, I had to give it an "Average" rating, this time around.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank UmiSam
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

My trip to Thailand was memorable and so complete with so many experiences. We flew Korean air, which was unlike any other flight we've taken. This airline has all the comforts you need for a 22 hour flight. When we arrived in Thailand, the customs ran smoothly and efficient. English signs were everywhere and people understand and speak some English. Our hotel was tucked away from most of the others and away from the main city, but that can be good or bad, depending on you.
Thailand has beautiful weather. We went in July and it was rainy for half the week, but it didn't stop us from exploring phuket, James bond island and other nearby islands we visited on tours. There are many Buddhist temples and we visited a few. We did an elephant trek, where this elephant walked about a mile with us on his back, through mud and down hills, and through jungles. My husband thought it was exciting. I was terrified! We visited sea gypsy island where settlers from Indonesia set up their own little civilization. That was fun. The island is full of monkeys. Some agressive. We rode a buffalo and went to rice farm, cashew factory, and took speed boats to various other islands like Hong Kong island with mangroves and little caves that men on kayaks paddle you through. Three people to one kayak. We had lovely photos throughout this trip.
The people are super nice. The beach on the hotel property is rough and not well kept. The pool was lovely. Food is lovely with free breakfast, but you are on your own for lunch and dinner. It's cheaper to take a shuttle to the other Marriott minutes away and eat at their Italian restaurant. Massages on the beach are cheap and totally awesome. Don't pay for the spa massage unless you are rich. We had the best massages of our lives. The food in Thailand is so fresh and natural and healthy, that I lost ten pounds that week. Natural fruit smoothies and ginger teas with homemade kiwi icecream was just a dieters dream. I realized how America caters to junk food addicts, while Thailand is inundated with exotic fruits, vegetables, fish and chicken. Thai food was never my favorite until eating authentic Thai food from thailand. Marriott staff were wonderful in every way and respected our privacy. They arranged all our tours and knew us by name by the first day. Computer access was no problem and the lobby had free internet access and few computers for your convenience. I would definitely return to Thailand again. Next time I will bring my children so I don't have that realistic feeling that I am on the other side of the world.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Michnwill4life
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I had the opportunity last year in December to visit this hotel for few days. My partner and myself were very very happy with this resort and their services. Although we regret a bit of not booking a little villa with it's own swimming pool, our room was pretty good too. We had a higher floor deluxe room with lot of space and a balcony facing pond and the restaurant. It is quite a drive from Phuket city, but in a very quiet and comfortable location who wish to relax. The beach is not too crowded like Phuket city, but not too shallow either. Food is very nice in this country. Of course hotel breakfast was nothing to complain about. In fact it was very good. Hotel service is very good too.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Indika S
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The hotel is modern and natural looking with a quiet setting on a scenic beach. However the thing that sets this hotel apart from others is the staff from the check in to the room housekeeping all were exceptional. This hotel was the last stop in our two weeks in Thailand which was the best ending place. The area is quiet, we ate at Taikeng twice the first night it was good the second time we celebrated our daughters birthday and the food was ok but not as good as the first night rather bland however they came out with a small cake for our daughter's birthday which was complementary. Made it very special and they all sang to her. Ate at the sandbox was great 'american' food and had lunch at cafe . The absolute best was the breakfast just full of great tasting variety. We also took the shuttle and ate at the JW one night however that was overpriced and not quiet the same cozy feel as the Renaisance however it is pretty at night. Also go down during the day to see the 2 1/2 year old elephant quite cute. Arranged for a taxi for an afternoon that ended up being about 8 hours long during which we went to Patong, the Wat which has a beautiful interior, Sunset Point, Patong was way over crowded and glad we didn't stay down in that area however the lack of places to walk to to eat does make the Renaissance quite expensive. If you want to relax with beautiful surroundings and great service this is the place to go. I would definitely stay again for a relaxing retreat. As others mentioned there are a LOT of russians at the resort which they kept giving us russian menus out by the pool and beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 4vrongo
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Our family stay at Renaissance Phuket ,not far from the airport. Natural quiet Resort have
beautiful large room for 2 adults and 2 chils,luxury bathrooms. Balcony for a relaxing. Beach can not swim away because of the basin rim. We enjoy with the salt water pool close the beach. Dining room decorated with a variety of delicious ice cream flavors to choose diversity. Friendly staff and very good advice. Price is excellent value for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 337 in Patong

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!