I took my boys (10 and 17yrs.) to this hotel for 2 weeks. Renaissance Phuket Resort and Spa hotel is modern, has nice lush wellkept gardens and beach to die for. Excellent service all the time and very friendy staff.
We had a standard twin (room 435), 47m2, 2 king size beds (surprisingly comfy ones), glass "cube" bathroom (it has venetian wood blinds) with shower/bath/toilet, small balcony, flatscreen tv (lots of different channels), minibar, kettle+te/coffee. Cleaning was good. Minor problem with showers draining but water pressure was ok. Universal plugs, no need for adapter at least for us Finns.
We ate breakfast (Loca Vore restaurant) always outside by the "pier" . Breakfast was huge excellent buffet style, even bloody marys if one needs one..It was also fun to feed fishes with bread, there were lots of them. We had always lunch at the Sand box grill and dinner in all the restaurants (Loca Vore, Takieng (thai) restaurant, Dopppio) . We are not fussy eaters so we were pretty much satisfied with everything. Roomservice had a fast delivery. Only BBQ dinner (1450bht/person) with Thai dance show was a total disapointment and waste of money to us since the food was cold, overcooked and pretty much tasteless. Most of the desserts were also eaten by 8.30 p.m. Service was slow and ineffiecient.
Hotels own label icecream "Renaissance" was yummy. We also ate at the Marriot and in Turtle village. Village has some ridiculously expensive shops, 2 restaurants, Swensen's ice-cream parlor (ice-cream lovers paradise) and one small supermarket. Free shuttle from hotel to other Marriot or taxi 100bht/one way to village.
Hotel has plenty of bikes for free (couple junior sizes too). Bikes must be returned before 6 pm.
Plenty of sunbeds all over with clean towels and poolboy was always filling you glass with water. Pool is warm and shallow (only 135cm deep) and other even more shallower part of it also has a jacuzzi. There is a nice kids pool with small waterslide + kids playroom closer to lobby area, but it was totally empty...wonder why?
Beach is white sandy, very long and pretty much empty, absolutely goregeous! No Beach bars, no jet skis or boats or shops or vendors. Few windsurfers. Sea is pretty rough, got to be careful. Not good for bad swimmers or smaller kids.
Hotel has a nice Quan Spa but we just took massage several times at the local Thai massage place by the beach (private, not hotels). For 400bht/hr (paid only cash) we got nice thai massage with oil. Some would say it's shabby but c'mon, this is Thailand.
We took taxi by hour 2 times. It's really cheap and comfortable way to see sights or go to the town (town about 1hr away). 400bht/hr/minimum 4 hrs and our driver drove us to see temples, big Buddha, elefant farm, snakefarm, Phuket town, cozy local beach restaurants, market etc. Evening market (saturdays and sundays 17-22 only) was fab and cheap place to shop. We were lucky to get nice taxi drivers, they generally don't speak much english but understood us just fine.
We also made a Bhang Pae Safari mini 3 in 1 safari and got a ride with elefants and buffalos, saw gibbons and waterfall (which didn't have much water...). Short 3hrs trip, 1100Bht/adult, 650Bht/kids but we did it only because we wanted trekking with elephants. The more you tip, the more friendlier they become...Tip the elephant driver and he'll take fotos of you with you own camera!
We also went Flying Hanuman and it was absolutely coolest experience! Longest ride was 400m, wow! Definately recommend it, if you just dare! Remember to have loose clothes and definately good sneakers! Look more info: www.flyinghanuman.com
My teenage boy also went to Sea Bee's scubadiving for a day. Whole day with transports, food/soft drinks, 3 introductory dives from the boat/40min each/including equipment rental 7500Bht. He loved it. Reliable and experienced multi-national staff. More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
All our tours were booked by reseption and charged to our room as all our meals/drinks etc. Very simple, no need to carry much cash around (unless you like to tip all the time.I rather tip by the end of our vacation). Service charge 10% is included in all restaurants.
The Lounge has 6 computers for free 24/7.
Only actual disapointment was a gym. I don't think that gym is just tredmills and exercise (spinning) bikes. They only have loose weights up to 15kg? and had one multitask (Star track) machine. No weightlifting bench/bar or other basic equipment. Needs improvement!
Hotel is a pretty small, mostly mayby for "older" couples, honeymooners, families with small babies or to who ever needs peace and guiet. Very much laid-back atmosphere in generally. No dresscode for evenings (no long pants for men), thank god.
There is no loud music, noisy bars, discos in the hotel. There is nothing near by either, no shops/restaurants/vendors etc. If you are looking for action, shops and nightlife, don't come to Mai Khao area. My teenager was pretty boored but my youngest one and I loved it. It was peacefull and relaxing, exactly what we were looking for.
Special thanks to "Tiny" at the reseption, Gif and Pam at the Sandbox grill, "Champs" at the main restaurant. Thanks also to the cooks who made nice salmon to my kid for almost every lunch and the guy at the bar who made me nice frozen rasberry margaritas. Overall this was a nice relaxing vacation and would definately like to go back. Thank you all!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled amidst tropical gardens, the chic boutique-like Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, a Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel, offers privacy and is only 15 minutes leisurely drive from Phuket International Airport. Our Phuket, Thailand resort's location is ideally adjacent to beautiful Sirinath Marine National Park, as well, providing the chance to completely enjoy the magic of our island. We offer 22 Pool Villas and 4 Ocean Front Pool Villas with private pool and large patio, 4 One Bedroom Suites and 150 Deluxe Rooms. Two outdoor swimming pools, Quan Spa with eight treatment rooms, 6 event venues, steam rooms, outdoor massage sala, fitness centre, bike rides, cooking school, diving lessons, Kid's world and children's pavilion with indoor recreation area and outdoor pool all delight travelers to Thailand. Golf is available nearby, and for your gastronomical journey, our hotel offers an all-day restaurant with fresh ingredients - our signature Loca Vore, Takieng - Thai Restaurant. We also provide The Lounge, Doppio for gourmet deli with coffee and tea leaf bar and Sand Box at Mai Khao beachfront serving international cuisine during the day and BBQ at night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Phuket Resort And Spa
- Renaissance Phuket Hotel Mai Khao
- Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa Mai Khao