“Disappointed”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I chooose to stay here 2-nights before heading back to Singapore because it is exquisite and cost but I'm wrong. I wrote this review with my phone because the resort WIFI does t like me!

Arrival .....despite only a hand carry luggage, the bell captain choose not to see it when I unboard from the land transfer.

Check in .... Lobby decor looks great. The welcome drink - Ginger up, is good and also available in the outlet. It was serve after my blood boiled because of the slow check-in. Was asked again for all the details which is available in my rewards card profile. The preferrence in the profile is also not pay attention by the hotel. Was given many publicilty papers during the check in....why not try giving it in a guidebook?

Room #124 .... Ground floor. Was not told upon check in that the door key is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE with phone and will malfunction if contacted. Have to walk up and down few times before I was told by the receptionist the actual reason.

My room is surrounded by renovation sound which spoil my entire mood.....THAT WAS NOT TOLD TO ME UPON CHECK IN. I was told being a reward member, I was assigned to a room near the beach so sweet!!

No vacant room available is the reason when asking the resort for relocation. Their upselling skill is great.

Pointless being a member!

Room interior and amenity .... Room is spacious and comfortable. I like the complimentaey jar of local sweets. Minibar items is inexpensive. Have both bathtub and standing shower in the washroom. But the tap is leaking! Hot water shower is available. The room window curtain should be open .... There is a great different when the room has the window curtain shut. Slipper is available in the room in case you left yours at home.

WIFI .... Doesn't work for my phone and laptop. Have to you my telecom provider.

Restaurants .... Used only the all day dining. Breakfast spread is extensive and good!!!! Don't put solo traveler in the middle of family dining zone - 4 groups of family with infant surrounded me!

The lounge bar ... Nice atmosphere. I like the complimentary drink bites.

Infinity pool .... It's great and by the beach.

Beach .... Don't bother.

Shuttle bus service between the resort to Marriott is available in certain timing, but no employee at the front desk have clue on their sister properties but their sister's employee can list and describe to me at their venue!

Thank you for giving me the 1st and also the last experience of renaissance.

Take it positively.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank sarrono
RHI_HotelManagement, Director of Rooms at Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It was my pleasure to meet and farewell upon your departure. Thank you once again for choosing to stay with the Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa. I must profusely apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

I am the most concern to learn on several shortfalls with regards to your arrival experience, guestroom, noise disturbance, wi-fi internet and inefficient Front Desk Agent in providing you information. You’re a valued customer, everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. We hope to welcome you here again the near future .

Adanaan (Andy) Chalachol
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed here for few hours before my departure just to try it and see is it is really a good one . The service is average and definitely not a 5 star . I ordered food and later espresso to my room . After so many questions they brought American coffee !! Stayed for sometime at the pool , not even a single person offered towels or service ! Compared to few 5 stars hotels around it , this is a 4 star one.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Haitham A
RHI_HotelManagement, Director of Rooms at Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us and sharing your experience with the Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Andy

ADANAAN CHALACHOL
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My friend and I stayed at Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa for 4 days. It was a great experience.
The property is kept up very well and you have beach access (although waves are crazy and there's signage that says not to go in the water).
Sam and Nami at the front desk are super awesome and helpful. We were especially pleased to take advantage of the welcome cocktail. Also, free bottled water in your room and a nice welcome treat (I won't spoil the surprise).

Breakfast has oh so many offerings so if you can make sure when you reserve, you do a reservation to include breakfast.

The little cafe downstairs is quite nice as well for an afternoon snack/lunch.

I would definitely stay there again.

PS: They have a USB port for charging (it is super slow though) your phone. I would advise bringing your own converter if you're coming from the US.

The hotel is a distance from Patong (shuttle service available) and markets. I'd keep that in mind if you want to be closer to the action and not shelling out a lot on taxis/shuttles. Great amenities on the property for just relaxing and enjoying your vacation. The good news is that tours will pick you up directly from the hotel.

Turtle Village is close by but was a small shopping area with limited choices.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Simoniemo
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We went there for honeymoon last year. This was the highlight of our trip. Phuket is usually very crowded and touristy, but Mai Khao was quiet. The hotel has private beach and very nice pool.
If you are looking for a quiet place in Phuket, this is the place to go.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. They speak very good English. They were very attentive and quick, we felt like we had personal staff. .
When we arrived in our room the hotel gave us a surprise cake with "Happy Honeymoon" writing on it. It was a delicious cheese cake with fresh fruit :)

We got the Standard room, the room design was modern and beautiful, spacious, with very comfortable beds and pillows. You can choose what kind of pillow you want prior to arrival.
The bathroom was like a dream bathroom with large bathtub and separate showers.

Food was amazing. We ate at the Takieng Restaurant, the Thai food was great.
We love the breakfast! In addition to the standard breakfast menu, they provided juice bar (where we could make our own juice), salad bar with fresh and premium quality ingredients, and yogurt bar.
We highly recommend this to other travelers :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This superb hotel/resort is about 20 minutes from Phuket airport yet could be on a desert island. It fronts directly onto a long largely untouched beach and is surrounded by parkland. If you want somewhere away from the hustle and bustle that characterises most of Ko Phuket, then this is it. The building is beautiful architecturally. The rooms are well designed and have every option you could want. There are several cool restaurants and bars and one of the best breakfast places I can recall. The pool area is almost on the beach and there is ample room for lazing in the sun. The service was friendly and very professional.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2014

As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we were amazed by the beautiful and grand lobby. We were greeted by the friendly staffs and the check-in was reasonably quick.

We stayed for one night in pool villa room 3. the room was HUGE! it was one of the most luxurious room we ever been, comfy and huge bed with large bathtub, spacious dressing area and lovely private pool just a step away from the living room. The open concept of the wash room might be awkward to some guests but works fine for us.The private pool was surrounded by lovely plants and 2 sunbeds.

After exploring the amazing our 1 bedroom pool villa, we headed out to the main area. The main pool was under maintenance during our stay but we have no problem with that since we stayed in a pool villa. Right in front of the pool there were rows of sunbeds facing the lovely beach. However during our visit the red flag is up due to rough sea condition. We noticed that the beach around was pretty dirty with broken glasses and rubbish found at the edge of the cliffs towards the beach.

Breakfast was awesome! It was wondersul with lots of varieties and healthy juices cater to guests based on ownself preferences. It is worth the price you paid for! We had dinner in Takieng and overall experience was good. the view from the restaurant was breathtaking, overlooking the sunbeds and sea. Superb!

We were impressed by the brilliant services by the staffs. The kindness and friendliness of the staffs were the BEST of all. you would expect the same reviews from all guests bacuse they are really attentive to all matters/issues we faced.

Overall experience was spectacular. A big clap for the management team and the staffs for everything. The care shown from top to toe really will get you all to a greater height, keep up the good work! and I am already missing you all! =)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank meisin87
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at Renaissance Phuket Resort and Spa for the last 3 nights in Phuket. It was one of the best decisions to finish our 2 week trip here before returning home and facing reality ( aka work ).
Firstly the welcoming was warm, friendly, and professional, with check in being smoothly taken to our room. We were initially given a room on the ground floor, but were able to be transferred to the top floor - kindly arranged by Front Desk Manager, Weena and our baggages were very promptly transferred to our new room by Ken.
The room is absolutely lovely, it's fresh, clean, the lighting is great!! (Seriously, while applying make up or putting in contacts~ it is a blessing to have good lighting!) The room was modern, inviting, clean, with lighting strips hidden under the cupboards - which warmly lighted the room.
There were some amazing yummy dried fruit titbits as a welcome to the room - which ( thank you to House Keeping) were filled up to the delight of my tummy:)
All the staff, from housekeeping, to front desk, to transfers, concierge, bar, restaurant, pool, breakfast area were all friendly and professional, and even though there are many visitors to the resort, they would make a special effort to try to remember your name or when your preferences are which is a very lovely touch ~ eg: Taki ( from F & B) remembering my partner and I from the 1st day at breakfast and transferring us to an area outside, with a lovely view with a fan in the area, because he remembered my partner liked to sit outside to have breakfast and I liked to have a breeze. On our second to last night there, we had dinner inside our room, and house keeping brought up some candles to decorate our room for dinner which I am grateful for.
The pool is lovely, the restaurant Taeking ( Thai) is quite beautiful looking out over the pool and the ocean ( would recommend one to do reservation for dinner) The beach is a lovely long stretch of clean sand. at the time we went - the sea was quite rough - and hence no swimming in the sea, but within 20 metres we had a lovely pool to swim in:).

Everything was spick and span. Had the widest spread of food for breakfast, with freshly made smoothies and juices to order, eggs benedict with crab, fresh mango cut up specifically when requested. Soy milk individually bottled. and a very long Breakfast session from 6:30 til 11am.

There are little shuttles across to Marriott - where you can then take another shuttle out to Marriott Mai Khao Beach resort - and with a quick 2 minute walk through to the otherside ( past Anantara Service Back Entrance) can go have a local meal at JJ's. We also tried out Kindee (free hotel delivery).

Taxi transfer from Hotel to Airport is - 500baht - 15 - 20 minute trip.

A truely lovely beautiful resort to stay in. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Higher level - level 3. Closer to pool / beach