Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
US$234
US$148
US$294
Marriott
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
US$184
  • Pool
US$480
US$635
US$112
US$101
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
US$418
US$192
Coriacea Boutique Resort(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$80
1,290 results
All reviewswater parksplash junglesunset breezethe penthousethe club loungefree entrydeluxe family residenceclose to the airportred mangosunset restaurantluxury bedroombuggy driverskids loveitalian restaurantegg stationkids clubfamily holiday
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Do not go to sunset breeze restaurant. The service was very poor and they were rude. Very busy at breakfast time.

Pool deluxe room was amazing we ended up getting a free upgrade due to the slow check in process thanks to inis at the front desk she was very polite and helpful.

Splash jungle wasn't too bad. Wasn't as big as it looked but still a good size.

Would recommend to stay here if you want to stay at just the resort as it is fairly far away from everywhere. Close to the airport which was good and the noise wasn't a problem. You could watch the aeroplane go over you at the beach which was pretty cool.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tantan87
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear tantan87

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you ever so much for sharing your comments here on Tripadvisor and it is great to hear that your stay was excellent and you recommend us further. As well good to know that the room was amazing and that Ines was able to provide you with friendly assistance. Naturally I am very sorry and concerned to hear about our Sunset Breeze Restaurant and I would like to invite you to email me directly at gmcgwp@chr.co.th for further details so this situation can be corrected.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we sure hope to welcome you back in the near future here in Phuket.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We were sent here by Anantara Vacation club for 4days3nights. We stayed in 2 rooms apartment in building8. The room is simple but large space for a family. The floor tile looks dirty. It lis quite far from the beach and restaurant which you have to take the golf cart every time.

The breakfast is like eating in the factory with lots of Chinese and Russsian tourists who are eating like they will never eat again.

Hotel staffs are short compared to number of guests and size of the hotel. They are trying to do their best but this is not good for the so-called 5 stars hotel.

Thought the beach is nice. Without the water theme park, would be nothing so special.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JantanaP
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Jantana

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you for sharing your feedback here on tripadvisor and it is good to hear that our beach and Waterpark met with your satisfaction. I am sorry to hear that you did not felt the same for our rooms and the other guests. We are aware of some of the rooms in our building 8 having burned in stains, which are finding currently a way to get them removed or replace the tiles. We are an international Hotel and cater for many different nationalities, which depending on season might be the majority or minority at any given time.

Thank you for choosing us in Phuket and I truly hope you will visit us in the future for a better experience.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I want to break this evaluation into 3 sections: the location, the physical plant, and the staff.

(1) Location: it's superb! Very close to the airport (do not worry about the noise, though, as the airplanes taking off are only a sporadic bother for a few seconds). The proximity to a nice water park, the entrance for which is free, was the initial selling point, but the big pool and the very nice private beach ended up being far more charming and enjoyable. It's far away from the nightlife part of Phuket, but that was fine for us. Traveling around the resort is easy, too; if you want to walk, you're never more than 10 minutes away from anything, but there are also hotel buggies that will drive you anywhere. This part of the hotel/resort is definitely 5-star worthy.

(2) Physical plant: Our room, a one-bedroom suite in Building 8, was not spectacular, but had enough space for our family of 3. The sofas are rather worn and squishy, but the bed was nice and fir. The shower layout is flawed, with water running out around the edges and pooling onto the floor. Fit and finish indicated it needed a little extra attention, too. (Doors slam or squeak, and there was a scary amount of dust on the tile floor under the bed in our room.) Overall, this part of the hotel is more like 3 1/2 stars. The entry road to the resort is not very grand, but once inside, it looks pretty and the grounds are well-maintained.

(3) Staffing: Every interaction we had with the staff here was positive. The people were polite, patient and friendly, which is rather amazing when you see the hoardes of ill-mannered Chinese and Russian tourists. When we told the staff that our hotel room stove was dirty, housekeeping staff came right away to clean, and a bottle of wine was sent to our room later on to apologize. When we wanted to ride from one place to another in a resort buggy, the drivers were sweet and polite. We want to give a particular shout-out to Mr. Yim and Mr. Daow in the breakfast restaurant near the beach... We were very frustrated by the non-stop smoking of some Chinese tourists at the breakfast restaurant. There was no escaping the smoke or noise, and these two gentlemen patiently talked with us and listened to our recommendations. Overall, the staffing is appropriate for a 5-star resort.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Bonbonmontreal

Dear Sir or Madam

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Canada

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor. It is good to hear that our location was superb and the right choice for you. I do apologize if our rooms were not fully up to scratch and for certain will discuss this further with my Team. The entry road, yes I do agree, however the good news is that we will have our new entry road and new Lobby ready by the end of March, which will be for sure offer a much grander experience. Our Driver Team, Mr. Yim and Mr. Daow will be especially happy to hear that they made such a great impression and thanks to comments like yours to our Team, we actually established as well a non smoking area outside the Restaurant on the terrace.

Again thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. We are indeed very happy to hear that we made 5 Star on location and Team and sure hope to welcome you back again in the future with your family.

Best Wishes from Phuket Island

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This property is magnificent. It is located on one of the most stunning beaches on Phuket. Mai Khao beach is clean, inviting, calm and simply beautiful. And this hotel sits right on that beach. Going to other beaches just hasn't been the same since.

Here are a few things you should know about the property:

1. The gym is fully equipped. You will get a great workout here.
2. The property has a Thai restaurant, a fine dining restaurant and a buffet restaurant. The buffet restaurant has a wide variety of food for a very decent price. Good value for money.
3. The rooms are essentially one bedroom suites! Spacious and comfortable.
4. There is a huge water park on the premises! If you are a kid at heart or have kids, laughter and joy will be the main dish offered up here. My wife and I had a blast here.
5. They also have a shop on the premise where you can buy just about anything, water, alcohol, suntan lotion, snacks etc.

One point I'd like to address: Before I came, I read a few reviews that stated the guest could hear airplanes taking off. Duh.....the hotel is located near an airport, what do you usually hear at an airport, planes taking off. The question that has to be answered here is this: Can the guest hear the airplanes, taking off, from their hotel room? NO. People ought to be more accurate when writing reviews....

The hotel has take great care to make sure the rooms windows are double paned, I mean it's so thick you seriously cannot hear a thing. I slept really well each night I was there, you will too.

If you want to be located at the best beach on Phuket at an affordable price, this is the hotel you should stay at.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert B

Dear Robert

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Sweden

Thank you ever so much for your glowing review and it is great to hear you had a fantastic stay. We are indeed lucky to be located at one of the most unspoiled beaches in Phuket, where it is still peaceful and tranquil and I have to admit myself, likely one of the nicest sunsets you can find on the Island.

Again thank you for you nice feedback and for sure we are all looking forward welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I recently stayed three nights at the Centara Grand West Sands with my husband and three children. We stayed there on the recommendation of a travel agent friend and because of its proximity to the Spalsh Jungle Water Park.

The resort is located just north of the airport - literally. We arrived at the hotel armed with the knowledge that planes might be an issue, and I think this helped us. I initially thought the sound of planes taking of and landing all day (and even part of the night) would be a problem. But it wasn't. We had full view of the planes from the beach, and I thought many times how much my little nephews would enjoy the spectacle. We didn't hear the planes at all in our room.

The resort was spacious and set on spacious, beautiful grounds. Carts were always on the move, transporting guests to the pool, restaurants and their buildings. Admittedly, we used them a few times. But we decided the relatively short walk was good for us.

The lobby was a bit on the boring side and not what I expected from a five star tropical resort. During check in it reminded me of a doctor's office! The rooms, however, were spacious and comfortable. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment, which was ideal for my family of five.

There was a smaller swimming pool next to our building. However, we preferred to use the main pool, which was enormous and situated right by the beach. The only down side was finding a sun bed. Some inconsiderate guests threw towels etc over the sun beds very early in the morning and even moved them down to the beach, making it impossible for the rest of us to find one. (I suspected this was something that frustrated the resort staff as much as me.) The beach was also nice - very different from the busier beaches in southern Phuket - and access from the resort was immediate.

The resort was quite isolated, which meant we ate at the resort restaurants each night. The main restaurant had a barbecue theme one night, which was excellent. We enjoyed the food and the fire dancing entertainment. The other two nights we ate at the Thai restaurant, which was also excellent. The breakfast buffet was very good, and a highlight of our day.

The Centara Grand West Sands is a very nice resort. But it could be even better. Apart from the stark, office-like lobby, the convenience store was a bit shabby and could be given a more upmarket feel. Next to the convenience store it looked as though a coffee shop had been there once, or planned to be there. It would be to have a coffee shop on the premises. A trapeze was set up on the grounds, but not in use, even though we were staying during a busy season. There were a few limited activities on offer, such as water aerobics. But the trapeze, and/or additional entertainment, would have been appreciated given the resort's isolation.

We thoroughly enjoyed our three nights at Centara Grand West Sands and would consider staying there again. However, we all agreed that three nights was enough. It's a relaxing place to stay (despite the planes) and perfect if you enjoy water parks. But if you want shopping and a variety of restaurants, three nights is long enough.

Room Tip: Some of the resort buildings are a long way from the main pool/beach, but closer to the water park. If you want to be close to the main pool/beach, as we did, request a room with the best pool access.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TOl3
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Family TOI3

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Melbourne

Thank you for taking the time to share your Holiday experience here on Tripadvisor and we are more than happy to hear that you had a great stay with us and especially the kids had a fantastic time. I have to agree our current Lobby is more set up in practical terms, however good news, our new Main Lobby is scheduled to be completed by the end of March with a beautiful décor and theme, overlooking the Waterpark when you arrive. I am sure this will give you a great arrival experience on your hopefully next return visit. As well I will happily pass on your comments about the excellent BBQ and Thai food we provided to our Chefs, which I know they appreciate comments like yours highly. The convenience store and attached building is unfortunately not managed by Centara, but I will pass on your comments to the relevant person to see what can be done to improve the offer and feel.

I fully agree with your comment about entertainment on site, and as we have seen the need for extra activities for our guests, I gladly can say that as of end of January we hired 4 professional entertainers from a renowned company who now offer a full day of activities, from a morning aqua aerobic, to kids games, archery to a kids mini disco at night. Since they started we had already a lot of positive feedback from our guests and it certainly adds to overall atmosphere. And additional sunbeds are on order and I apologize if that caused any challenges.

Again thank you for staying with us and for your warm feedback provided.

We sure hope to welcome you again in the near future, for lots more fun activities provided and another overall great holiday experience.

With Best Wishes