“Fantastic location, wonderfully relaxing”

Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mai Khao
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic location, wonderfully relaxing”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked this resort because we wanted to away from the madness of Patong and the other more established resort areas. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed (we had a terrace room which was great). Both restuarants are good without being spectacular, but breakfast was excellent. The pool was very lovely, but the service from the pool side bar left a little to be desired - staff were friendly but we frequently had to go looking for our drinks, and the beer was only just cold. By far the best feature was the absolute beachfront locaation - lounging on a deck chair or day bed under the Casuarina Pines looking over the ocean was about as relaxing as life can get.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms with terrace close to the pool are the best vaalue.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shane W
HIRMaiKhao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Shane, Thanks for the excellent review and so happy you loved both the location of the resort along with the rooms and facilities. We do have a great team and thank you for mentioning this. However we know we have to lift the game at the pool bar and agree with your comments. Assuring you the training is ongoing so we get the consistency everytime.

Look forward to you returning again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have stayed in plenty hotel rooms in my life and most of the time, I am unable to get the "homey" feeling in the rooms where I stayed.
At Holiday Inn Mai Khao, the feeling is truly a beautiful home away from home. being greeted by the warm and friendly staff compensated for the long trip to get to the hotel. We almost spent 14 hours in transit and airport to get to the hotel. There was a feeling of serenity in the surrounding allowing one to feel relaxed after
The thing I enjoyed in my stay was the wonderful sleep experience. The bed was not too soft nor to hard as well as the pillows. The temperature in the room was just right to give me comfy sleep.
One thing more I enjoyed was the shower experience , water temp as well as the pressure is just right to provide the right experience.
Furthermore, going into J's Cafe and Pesto restaurant turned out to be just right. The food was cooked and served nicely and the serving was just right and most importantly it was priced reasonably. I really enjoyed the soup station, I made sure to have soup at all times we had meals in the cafe.
My overall feeling for the hotel was like it was my "home away from home" during the 5 days I was in Phuket. Would I come back next time, I will surely be back but maybe next time with my husband and family so I can enjoy and bask in the sun!

Room Tip: rooms with the verandah is really nice in enjoying the sunrise and the sunset!:)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Heart1210
Dear friend from Philippines. We are delighted to have got your review and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for calling us your home! This is a great comment and touches the feelings of all our team as they want everyone to feel this way and feel comfortable in our resort. I treat my team like family and hope they treat all our guests the same. You kind words on the room and well as the restaurants has been given to the team and they look forward to you returning with the entire family so we can take care of your kids.

Thanks again.. Salamat po!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Service has always been the talk of the town about the hospitality industry in Thailand. I've recently stayed in this beautiful new resort and I must say, service was fantastic. Despite a few minor hiccups (this come with all newly-opened hotels), the service recovery was prompt and genuine. And the internet connection/speed is the fastest that I have ever seen.
Well done to all the staff and management of this newly-added resort in the beautiful island of Phuket.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MaryannBel
Dear MaryAnn, on behalf of the resort team thank you for the comments. We do a lot of heart training as we call it where service comes from the heart and glad the team was able to show this throughout your stay. As a new resort we are still learning and improving and glad we recovered if there were hiccups.

Please come again soon!
Singapore
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband booked us a pool-access junior suite to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. When we were on our way to the hotel, I was reasonably worried that we would be bored stiff at the property. Hubs was certainly a little hurt by my suggestion but after stepping into the hotel, I didn't want to leave!

The whole experience, from the reception for check-in, to the short drive on the buggy, to the entry into the room itself, I was mesmerized! For such a new hotel, they are really doing very well indeed. I am now typing this on my last night here. with the rain pouring down outside, causing little patters on the pool...I'm so going to miss this!

As the hotel is on Mai Khao beach, we had wonderful sunsets as well as a fabulous beach to enjoy! The hotel has strategically placed deck-chairs and queen-size sun beds. I love the whole carefree feel in the hotel, i guess this is the most important feel any hotel on the beach should let their guests have.

Each day, we would go for breakfast, come back for a dip in the pool that is accessed directly from our room, then for lunch, then bake at the beach, followed by dinner at J's cafe. This is such a good break fro our hectic lives back home.

The room we have is a junior suite, with a wonderful king-size bed, firm pillows (cause we had them changed on the first day we got here, but beware of the smell cos they use down pillows), big comfy quilt, even a sofa set for you to lounge to watch DVDs or to watch your SO wading around in the pool.

The bathroom itself is a gem! A big 2mx2m shower area (which IMO should have included a bath tub), a separate toilet area, and a big sink area to hold all the necessary toiletries. If you're in need of any additional toiletries or if you realized that you have forgotten something, the housekeeping department would send some to you ASAP.

The meals in the hotel are priced reasonably for a 4*. The previous time when we came to Phuket, we stayed at another hotel in Patong area. If you are looking for shopping, cheap food, nightlife, then this hotel is not for you cos it is very remote. If you are looking for relaxation, time away from the bustle of life, a need for a good tan, and basically to while away time and hope that time would stand still, then you HAVE to come to Holiday Inn...!! It is the most value for $$ property in this area.

Room Tip: Get a room with pool-access, doesn't have to be a suite, just any room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RachelChua
So happy that we were able to share your 1st wedding anniversary at the resort. Your detailed report was a pleasure to read and really thank you so much for providing so much detail. I believe any guest looking for this romantic experience, sharing a honeymoon or anniversary together can be done in our resort.

We look forward to you coming back when you have time!
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I spend three nights at the hotel and found a beautiful located room on the fourth floor which was very spacious with comfortable bedding. The hotel is a "new kid on the Phuket block" and a germ for leisure travelers which guarantee peacefulness time in a resort. Large pools (some even at your door step) and great service is a combo which I did not want to leave. The Bathrooms are extremely large with a shower and a separate private toilet with all amenities you may need. Even do the hotel is new, the service is top and all my requests were speedily executed with a big smile. Definitely the Land of smiles which we experienced.

Room Tip: When traveling with kids the lower rooms offer a great pool at your doorsteps. High floors give you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 666Dante
Dear Dante, Thank you so much for the great report on the resort and your comments. The team is please you enjoyed your stay and got to take advantage of all the facilities. We hope that you head back from Germany to Phuket and stay with us again.
Hong Kong
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I'm from the U.S. and the Holiday Inn brand, though well known, is only a mid level hotel. Hence I was very surprised when I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Mai Khao beach. Really beautiful place. Big rooms that are nicely done. Beautiful pool and setting. If you want a lovely place to stay that is quiet and still accessbile to the crazy nightlife on Phuket you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If I stayed again I would choose a room with a connecting pool off the deck. Very nice!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tom G
Dear Tom, we are happy that we were able to break the perception of what some people believe Holiday Inn is. Over the past 4 years Holiday Inn's globally have undergone a "Refresh" and I am delighted to say that this change gives a new and wonderful feel in our hotels and resorts. We are very lucky to be the 1st new build Holiday Inn Resort in Asia and therefore have created an amazing resort not what typically someone may expect from a Holiday Inn. However we live to the promise of being a great hotel guests love and you will certainly find this here.

Please come back soon.
ramsbottom
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Top notch hotel, very new, well designed, exceptional staff, rooms are extremely well appointed. It's not the hustle and bustle of Patong or Phuket Town, it's quiet and chilled in the north, and having taken a wander up the beach to the Marriott and Renaissance, I am glad I picked this hotel. Lots of activities, bike tours, Muay Thai boxing classes, Thai cookery classes, soccer on the beach and kids activities as well. You can't get bored here, you will be far too chilled out! Best holiday inn I have stayed at, including Intercontinentals!

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor (you get either a nice patio or a plunge pool) smiles will get you a lot furthe...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank nikki p
HIRMaiKhao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Sincere thanks for your recent stay with us and the wonderful comments you have made. We are glad you have had a very memorable stay with us. Thank you also for comparing us to some of our neighbour resorts. We believe we offer significantly more activities for kids and adults and can assure everyone will have plenty to do if they like or alternatively just relax by the pool or beach or in the Spa!

We are looking forward to welcome you back here again on your upcoming holiday and you will see most of the friendly faces who have taken care of you on your recent stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
Marriott's Mai Khao Beach - Phuket
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!