“Excellent!”

Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Fantastic hotel directly on the beach. Superb 'kids suites' with all facilities especially for kids (Playstation, own TV, bunk beds, etc.). Spacious rooms with great bathrooms. Very good breakfast buffet. Dinner typical hotel food and nothing special.
Only downside if you don't travel by own car is the distance to everywhere else - there is nothing around the hotel...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BKK-George
HIRMaiKhao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear Bangkok George,

Great to receive your review and on behalf of the resort team thank you for the great comments.
Glad you able to relax and enjoy the Kids Suites room and facilities. We agree with you that we are located in the quiet part of Phuket and is ideal for those that want to relax and chill out and enjoy the tranquility of a pristine beach along with lush gardens giving you a true feeling of being in Thailand and in particular Phuket.

We have provided the shuttle service to Phuket Town and Patong Three times a day and agree for those that want to be independent and explore more the area I suggest also renting a car. Our team are more than happy to point out some great places to visit.

Hope to have you back in Phuket soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed in May 2012

It was a painful place for you to book a room,really.The sales staff and front desks doesn't have a proper training at all.Before I book this place,I ask a sale person which room have a bathtub or jacuzzi with a sea-view.The sale lady said "only Grand Premier Suite have a outdoor but in room jacuzzi which is only one room for the hotel.Its the top floor and front room of the building."

After I heard all of those nice things.I paid full amount for next 2 months advance booked.When I and my husband arrived.The short hair lady at the front desk gave me a key room which said #1303.When we arrived the hotel room,I cannot find a jacuzzi outdoor and the front view for the room is Swimming Pool !
I called down told the front desk lady my room number on the paper..and she said NO,you are in the wrong room.You calling from room # 1304!! repeatedly till I asked bell boy is this correct room and he said YES..those front desk lady still firmed that I'm in the wrong room and she will sent someone to give us to correct key room...after I hung up all 3 of us walking to see the front of the room >> It was marked as # 1303 - 1304 >>> Holy......hrrrrrrr

I call back asking for all option that I should get...the same lady hold the line and when she got back to me.She said there are no room with outdoor jacuzzi..you are in the right room.I kinda gave up and felt cheated. But my hubby was not.I asking to see the front and room coz he think this is really unfair....the gentleman front desk told my husband that first room #1301 was under maintenance he can't show us the room.After my hubby insisted pushing finally the guy came and just before he open the room...he said no room in this hotel have a jacuzzi! After all of us get in my husband found the outdoor in room tub( not a jacuzzi but still better than smaller one in Grand)!

So,on my view I can't see anything that broken in the room at all.It was super dusty like no one stay for a month.I asked the gentleman "Is anything broken here?" The answer is No and he said if you want this room I will sent the maid to clean it up...and I say YES.

This is first time in my life ever that I have got down grade room!!!! But it was only a few hundred baht different..I let's goes.

I saw the maid coming with big vacuuming machine and trolley.I kept checking till the last checked..the room is closed and cleaning trolley was disappear.So,I wandering around and found the maid sat on the floor and look at wall doing nothing.I asked her that I can move in now it was 3.45 p.m. me and my hubby were starving for lunch (we checked in at 1 p.m.).She said yes all done ( I was wondering why she wasnt knock the door and tell us when she was finished)

While we waiting my husband posted on their facebook page and the relationship manager (Lana) came over to talked with us.We told her all those stories.She sent us a complimentary fruits plate (we just left it like didn't touch it) and apologize letter.

The 10 days after the General manager posted a replied..and posted back all the experienced we had over a weekend (above paragraph that I posted here) and all got deleted after..only left this one their page

"""All we want is relaxing weekend.We actually went to Phuket 3 - 4 times a year for almost 7 years now.We always stayed and spent at least 300 buck on food at the hotel for 3 days 2 nights.Its 98% we had no problem with hotel staff and happily stayed...this one is a big fail ( I will put my mix experienced on Tripadvisor. As a Senior Contributor I should sharing all my good and bad experience)""" The rest of them gone...◕ _ ◕

The hotel itself is nice,we were enjoyed the place.It kinda isolate far from everything and quiet.The restaurant waiter and waitress are very well trained.The food at Pesto is good.The one at J's cafe is OK for Thai dishes...my husband baby pork ribs,he said like a eating rubber or eraser.He sent it back after a couple bite and they took out from the bill.

In my opinion,Holiday Inn Resort in Thailand are build nicely.If you like their style.I would love to recommenced you to try Holiday Inn Phi Phi...I went there after opening only several months but not a single thing went wrong.The room is nice,beach is clear,staff were good and proficiency in their job.Me and my husband planned to go back there at least once a year.(normally we went to Phuket 3 - 4 times a year and at least once a year to Krabi)

Tips :
1)If you want a seaview room pay for just Premier Suite and request for #1301

2)If you want a big space pick a Grand Premier Suite with swimming pool view ...can see the beach only when you lean out your head from the balcony.

3)If you get use to with bathtub at home and expected to see one in this hotel pick only "Premier or Grand Premier Suite type"

The last thing,I really wanna give 4/5 for this place but I could not from what I experienced.I feel Sorry for the pool bar staff,Pesto and J's Restaurant...I ate as much as I can when I was there to increasing a service charge and also leave a tip.

This is the longest review that I ever write...and I hope this will be the last one.

Room Tip: Premier Suite 1301 only room that see the sea-view clearly plus swimming pool view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 0_Gyrfalcon_0
Management response:Responded 15 July 2012

Dear 0_Gyrfalcon_0,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. I’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so I have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 May 2012

The hotel was very nice, we liked the room very much and the resort looked lovely but it was so out of the way. Takes a long time to drive anywhere which makes it a bit pricey. (talking probably half an hour to go to restaurants etc)
The resort food was good but maybe a bit pricey (not much choice though really when you don't want to drive elsewhere)
The hotel booked a cab for us in the morning which i'm 99% sure was not an actual taxi as the plates were white not yellow. he was the slowest driver ever, very uncharacteristic for thailand. but given how close it is to the airport, we were really cutting it fine to get there on time. Everyone was beeping and overtaking us. I don't think its very professional that this was booked through the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ari1188
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Dear ArohaR,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the resort as well as the food. Please accept my apology concerning the cab that serviced you. This matter will be pointed out with the correct department. Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing this unsatisfactory circumstance to our attention.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed there for two nights .we took room with pool acces that was very nice but it is nothing to do in that area that is why we moved to Surin beach.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Charlie 2929,
My personal thanks for taking the time to make a review for the compliments. On behalf of the team we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay but of course wish you stayed longer. With the resort located around one hour from Patong and 35 minutes to Surin, we really want to make sure there are enough activities for guests to enjoy and really take advantage of this wonderful location. That is why we have an activities team in place and have activities for adults and kids all day. If guests want to visit Patong or go shopping at Central Shopping Centre in Phuket Town we have a three times daily shuttle bus at a nominal charge. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

The Holiday Inn Mai Khao Beach was a real surprise. The hotel is in a relatively quiet corner of the island, only fifteen-twenty minutes from Phuket Airport.

The beach area has chairs and comfortable seating as well as a bar, restaurant and a pool that made it a great place to pass away the time relaxing. The service was great, with the bar staff delivering drinks to our pearch on the beach. Happy hour meant two for one cocktails as well. the food in the main restaurant was delicous, with the kitchen staff even preparing specific meal requests for us. The staff in general were a real highlight of the place.

The gym and spa were small but adequate. Free wifi was included (and appreciated), I'm not sure if that was because of our gold status with the hotel chain or whether it's standard though.

The rooms are tidy and of a decent size. They have quite a spacious and resorty feel to them. The air conditioning was good. The lower level rooms had direct pool access at the front of the rooms, this looked very cool and is something we will try when we return.

The main draw back to the location, is the lack of eating locations near by. A small price to pay for the quiet and relaxed atmosphere of the place in our opinion. The hotel would be great for a family holiday if you're after a Phuket vacation without the maddening crowds of Patong.

We organised a ride from the airport to the hotel when we arrived at Phuket airport with the Holiday Inn kiosk. It was 500 Baht there and 600 Baht back to the airport(??).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear TheCameleerNelson,
On behalf of the team we thank you for taking the time to write a fantastic review of not just our resort but also the surrounding Mai Khao area. We are delighted that overall you had a very nice stay and enjoyed all the facilities. I have already forwarded to the team your comments in particular the Food & Beverage team and they are so happy you loved the food & drinks.
So you know we have just completed a new dinner menu at Pesto with what we consider amazing prices and a new lunch snack menu by the pool which is perfectly priced and tastes delicious. We do hope you visit again soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

If you are looking for a hotel near the jumping nightlife of Patong this is not the place for you. However, if you want a nice quiet setting for a restful stay this could be for you. A new development right on the beach about 15 km from Phuket airport. While I was there the sea was too rough to swim as it was the start of the rainy season, but the hotel pool is lovely. As it was the low season the hotel was very quiet.

Ok, opted for a room with direct pool acess so had your own private pool, well you shared it with about 8 to 10 other rooms. On the small patio was a day bed to sit, relax and watch the day go by.

Room was spotless, as relatively new, bed was comfortable, firm but not hard. Bathroom was small but had a large shower room for two or more and sink unit. On the other side of the entrance door was a separate loo.

Two places to eat on site J's which had a mixture of Eastern and Western food for breakfast, lovely buffet, during the high season they also have an evening buffet. The other eating place is down near the pool side bar and beach. More limited menu here but nice to hear the waves chrashing on the beach.

Spa in the centre of the complex, did not try. Other facilities are available for bike riding, badminton, darts, table tennis and a pool table for wet days!!! A small shop with snack foods and a few cosmetics.

The only downside is if you want to be out and about and do not hire a car, if this is you I would not recommend staying here as you are at least 1/2 hour from anything and it would be taxis both ways. Driving on Phuket is fine not too busy you just have to watch out for motor bikes and scotters, they are everywhere around you when you stop at traffic lights, and as an advantage to us Brtis they drive on the left!!!. However, if you have a car this can act a lovely base to come back to in the evening. There is a Marriot resort about 10 minute drive from here where you can eat for a change if you want a change. Ate at the Renassinace one evening and food was similar to the HI but they had a slighter bigger choice.

Staff were friendly and always asking if we needed any help and whether you were having a good stay. Was welcomed by the assistant manager on the first morning at breakfast and dumped into him on my last day and asked how I had enjoyed the stay and instantly asked if needed a late check out.

I had arranged this with the front desk earlier, as I was leaving really late 2030 from Phuket airport, they made another room available for me to come back to, after an afternoons hot sightseeing, to shower and change into clean clothes for my overnight flight back to the UK.

So if you want a lovely setting in a quiet beach area this could be for you. However, if you want the bright lights of Bangla Road try somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you can afford the little bit extra (about £20/night) its worth thinking about the pool access ro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pair211
HIRMaiKhao, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear Pair211 Reading,

So wonderful to hear from you and thank you so much for spending the time to put this wonderful review together. I was very fortunate to meet you and the family and loved the great talk we had and happy to assist with the room late stayed to meet your flight time!

You made some great points about the resort such as the many activities available and of course the wonderful team. We continue to grow and develop everyday but still the wonderful attitude of the team remains.

We hope that this coming Christmas / New Year you choose to visit us again and do let me know.
Thank you again for the wonderful review and all the best for you and the family.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Excellent resort for quiet and relax holidays.
The reception and concierge staff is very helpful and friendly
BUT the pool-bar staff are amazing and the main restaurant staff become your family when you're there. They definitely go out of their way to make you feel at home. Special thanks to all the pool and restaurant staff. Those guys are super friendly. I would stay and recommend this resort because of the great people they have working there.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Worldly-dude,
Thank you very much for the wonderful review of the resort and on behalf of the team delighted that you enjoyed your stay. You made some wonderful points about the resort staff such as a front office, concierge, pool bar and restaurant and I accordingly passed to all of them you kind comments. We do have a wonderful team and continue to grow and develop everyday to ensure fun and memorable stays!

Hope to have you back in Phuket soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
SALA Phuket Resort and Spa
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
6 mi away
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket

Been to Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!