“Nice One Night Stay”

Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a night while on a layover and was impressed. A top notch resort, with terrific staff and service, reasonably priced (by Australian standards). It's quite a bit out of the way from the hustle of Phuket and fairly isolated. I'm not sure how it would fare for a longer vacation for someone looking for a bit of action, but can see it as a great quiet getaway. Loved the room, a junior suite that was a complimentary upgrade, and especially the shower. Free WiFi too. Yay!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear joeinoz, Thank you for your feedback, the resort is away from the hustle and bustle of Phuket and is located on Phuket’s longest beach which makes for a great break from the city for both couples and families. We are look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit, perhaps for a longer time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We loved this place because it is miles from anywhere and it's on a stunning deserted beach.
Hotel staff were also wonderful.
It's a very 'package feel' holiday but done very well.
I don't have kids but it looked perfect for people who did have them.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear K1G6H5H, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to hear that you had a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

stayed there for 3 nights, other than too far from the city center, it was pretty good. hotel has everything you need, infinity swimming pool with pool side bar, private beach, few restaurants (reasonable price), even has a small trampoline!! the staffs are very helpful and patient. there has 2 small local restaurant outside hotel, cheap price and tasty food, also has a ATM machine and a small mini bar, so if you don't want to go anywhere, you can just stay at hotel and relax!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ms. Grace C, Thank you for your review of our resort. We are glad that you liked our resort and enjoyed the infinite swimming pool with pool side bar. We are also, delighted to hear that you felt we provided value for money. We look forward to creating more of the same experiences on your next visit.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is a mid-level resort in Phuket but with a great location if you are just looking to get away from it all and relax. This resort is literally in the middle of nowhere. We borrowed a bike for an hour and rode for half an hour without finding anything of interest. There is another resort next to this one called Dvaree or something, but that's pretty much it for anything in 5 square kms. There a couple restaurant shacks outside of the hotel that is actually pretty packed with customers. I tried both, but the one called "Mama" is better, but slightly more expensive and crowded. Either way, you should be able to eat like a king for less than 500 bahts per person, including seafood (except lobster). Other than these 2 places, there's also a small restaurant at the beach next to the Holiday Inn beach, run by the Mai Khao bungalows next door. I didn't try that one, but the prices were even cheaper (no seafood). If this is your first time to Phuket, or you are looking to do a lot of activities, I wouldn't recommend this one. However if you were like me and just wanted to get away from everything for a couple days, this Holiday Inn resort is near perfect.

We were upgraded to a pool access deluxe and IHG platinum. No jr. suite but that's fine with me since it was such a short stay for us. Rooms were standard Holiday Inn (Asian ones, much better than the ones in the States). TV could be a little bigger, but I doubt many were in Phuket to watch TV. Nice rain shower and good pressure. Unlimited bottle waters every day. Our balcony was at the small skinny pool outside of the condominiums, which was nice but if you're a privacy freak you might not like this. People can swim outside your room, like I did. If you are that concerned you can just close the drapes. These room pools are very narrow and not that long, so might be okay for laps but not early in the morning or late at night if you don't want to disturb your neighbors. There is a main pool in the middle of the property near the beach, but that's not really to swim in, just soak.

Breakfast spread was very nice, with good selection of both Western and Thai breakfast. Good omelettes, and good crispy bacon, which is pretty hard to find in Asia. Thai noodle bar was good, and there was always a special, like Hainan chicken rice or fish maw soup. Maybe 5-6 different juices, and a daily smoothie. Good price too, for 440 bahts if you get it upfront when you check in. Very relaxing resort atmosphere for breakfast.

I noticed this hotel was nearly 80% Russian clientele, which was fine, but they're not very interactive. So if you're not Russian and you're okay with keeping to yourself 99% of the time, this shouldn't be a problem. There's also some occasional China tour buses but they arrive in late and leave early, so not a problem most of the time. Also, this is a hotel that caters to families a lot it seems, judging by the kids club and the amount of toddlers and kids running around. They mostly behaved themselves, so not a big deal but might be to some. I suggest the wooded sun lounger area behind the beach if you want a more quiet space. The hammocks were nice as well.

The beach at Mai Khao is one of the nicer ones for Phuket, and rather clean for Thailand, at least for the portion in front of Holiday Inn. Seems to be combed and sorted for trash every morning. The water was red flagged, but it's probably like that 90% of the time. Not a big deal on a calm day to just stay within 5-10 meters of the beach. A pretty good swim beach if you're into that sort of thing, otherwise it was just fine to soak in.

Spa area was closed for renovations so they were offering 20% off already reasonable rates for massages. I mean reasonable as in for hotel spas, especially for one so remotely located. I think our 60 minute (we couldn't be fit into a 90) massage was only 900 bahts each, merely double the massage ladies at the beach, and a much better environment. They were doing the massages in guest rooms converted for temporary massage rooms. We messed up the time a bit and they were a little stern but understandable. Massage was quality, and much better than the cheap ones at the beach.

Overall a very relaxed atmosphere and stay with very reasonable prices at the restaurants, bars, and spa. I'd go back if I need some pure and simple R&R.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear milty908, Thank you for your detailed review of our resort and your tip on the pool access rooms and like you said we look forward to having you back for some more pure and simple R&R.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Bad start. I booked an airport transfer directly with the hotel one month before as i have a 2 years old with me and i dont want to risk being touted by taxi drivers. Received a confirmation for my booking and was told to go to the Holiday Inn arrival lounge upon arrival. Great.. easy i thought. I arrived at the airport and there was no one at the arrival lounge. The lady from next door told us we have to go outside and look for them ourselves. What's the point of having a nice arrival lounge then and asking people to go there when there is no one there?? Ok fine we went outside and got swamped by taxi drivers trying to get business and we walked up and down trying to look for someone holding the Holiday Inn signboard. Nothing... after half an hour we gave up and went back into the empty arrival lounge. Feeling very frustrated at this point after a early morning flight. Finally a guy came and asked if i am Mr Chua. Confirmed that's my booking and the guy said he will arrange transport for me. Ok phew i thought. He went out and after a while came back and told me the hotel cancelled my airport transfer booking and i have to go look for my own transfer to the hotel. WHAT!!! My name is on the booking list and i am there (not a no show) and the hotel cancelled my transfer? I asked the guy why and he said he dont know i have to ask the hotel myself when i get there. I figured maybe this guy really have no idea so no point screaming at him. I asked the guy if he can arrange transport for us and he said he can. 600 baht nett (100 baht cheaper than the hotel). We said ok and he said he will arrange. The next thing you know, he passed us to the lady next door from Andara or Antara (sounded like that, not sure exact spelling) who started selling us their resorts. She said they can offer us complimentary shuttle bus service to our resort (as they are located nearby) if we agrees to visit their resort and listen to their presentation. Imagine how angry we are. We said bluntly no we have already booked accommodation for our trip but she said we can visit and if we are happy, they can offer us complimentary stay this time or next time we return to Phuket. I said no we are not interested Can you please get that guy back (who is standing outside the lounge all this time). And she gave up with a unhappy face and went out to call the guy. He then came back in and asked if we want to take his transport? Isnt that what we agreed to before you passed me to that lady who tried to sell us? He said ok he will fetch us, asked us to follow him outside, wait and he go fetch his car. Ok finally we are on our way to the resort via a self arranged transfer after being sold to (all the time sitting in the Holiday Inn welcome lounge). I am not sure if this Antara resort group is part of the IHG group but even if yes, this is so unprofessional to be selling another resort to someone who has already booked accommodation stays at your resort. And further more at the empty welcome lounge which you told people to go to for airport transfer bookings, cancelled their transfer booking, asked them to look for their own transfer and then sell them another resort to stay at. Totally regret booking airport transfer with the hotel. Should have just gone to phuketshuttle.com who is cheaper, on time and provide good service with gurantee of no touting.

Anyway i reached the hotel and checked in. There was no apologies or explaination offered on my cancelled airport transfer booking. Close to the end of the check in process, i asked what exactly happened why the hotel cancelled my airport transfer when i am already there. All the guy said was "sorry communication problem other departments" after which he mumbled in thai to the lady at the next counter. That's all?? After all the trouble i went through.. all i got was sorry communication problem. He went on to explain the hotel facilities to me but my face is already super black (of course not pleased with the explaination but not much i can do now that it has happened, the hotel is not going to compensate me for anything right?). Completed the check in, boarded a buggy and was transferred to our room at block 6 where the kids club is. Realised i was given a twin bedded room (even though i booked a deluxe room pool access - 1 king bed. Maybe my fault i forgot to request/confirm it during check in). The beds cannot be shifted/combined into one so called up to request a change of room. Was told to wait while house keeping clean up the room and they will send someone down to bring us to there. The same guy turned up and wanted to bring us there in the buggy but we chose to walk as my toddler is drinking milk in her stroller. So he walked with us to our new room which was at the other side of the resort at block 8. We were given a corner pool access room. We settled into our room finally!

Things went on smoothly from there. Wanted to go for lunch at J-Cafe but they will only reopen for luncb at 12. So we went for lunch at a small restaurant next door to Holiday Inn. Cheap and good food. After which we went around exploring the hotel grounds and then went back to swim from our pool access room. Dinner was at J-Cafe and then we went to the kids club which is open from 6-9pm. It's great as you have nothing much to do for the kids during this timing (cant go swimming in the pool nor at the beach) and having a place for them to play is good for the kid as well as the parents. My girl have lots of fun at the balls pit and the slide and with all the toys. Staffs at the kid club are friendly. The next day, after a good breakfast, i went for a massage while my husband went swimming with my gal in the main resort pool. Took a 1 hour massage at a beach front massage hut left to the resort (not under the resort's management i think) which costs me 400 bahts. Cheap and good. After that we spent the whole day swimming in our room, at the beach and kids club. Breakfast is good with a lot of variety and the staffs at J-Cafe are very friendly, often stopping to play with my gal.

I would have to say despite the flawed unpleasant stay, it has nevertheless been a lovely stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank shichs1982

Dear shichs1982, Thank you for the information on the airport transfers, we have taken the opportunity to review our processes, re-train our staff on handling and escalating incidents such as what you have experienced. I am glad to hear despite your arrival experience, you still had a good holiday with us.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Am IHG platinum and was upgraded to a pool access jr suite. The staff was extremely welcoming and this is a perfect hotel for a weekend retreat or to get away from it all.

The only drawback is the location virtually requires you use a car.

The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

1  Thank mattfs218

Dear mattfs218, Thank you for your loyalty and your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Check in was quick and seamless. The staff were very friendly, polite and respectful especially Detch who went out of his way to ensure everything was up to par during our stay. The room (kids suite) was great and out kids loved it. The grounds were well maintained. The pool was nice as there were very few people using it. The kids club had lots of activities for our kids which they enjoyed (although we never left them there alone). The breakfast buffet was excellent for us with alot of food options. Lots of activitiies for the family. We will definitely return to this hotel during our next visit to Phuket.

The only downside for us was the beach which was dirty and the water was rough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Chanalai Garden Resort
#11 of 55 in Kata Beach
Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!