“Great until you check out”

Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Mai Khao
“Great until you check out”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel is beautiful and the service is great. However, there are a few minor areas in which the hotel can improve.
Firstly, while there is a great range of foods in the hotel the price is very expensive compared to the rest of Thailand. Luckily I had already paid for bed and breakfast.
Secondly it took a while to check in and the lack of English skills at the check in desk proved to be a barrier which slowed down check in time (I'm not sure the staff knew what they were doing).
Thirdly, after spending a week at the hotel we checked out in the morning and left our luggage waiting until our 9:30pm pick up. We then asked if we could still use the shuttle bus to get us to the shopping centre in the day so we weren't stuck at the hotel waiting, and we were told that as we were no longer guests we could not use the shuttle bus. Ironically we then went to the concierge desk and booked the shuttle bus anyway. It was still frustrating to be told we weren't able to use it after spending a week at their hotel.
Finally, the shuttle bus service only operates 3 times a day with the latest time to leave the shopping mall, whilst still being able to catch the shuttle bus, was around 5:30pm. This isn't great if you want to stay out for your evening meal.
If you don't want to spend all of your money at the hotel I advise you try one of the local restaurants. If you exit the front of the hotel and turn right, around the corner are a few shacks which were O.K - nothing special but much cheaper and filled the gap. There is also another restaurant as you go on the beach - turn right and around the corner is a restaurant which is a little better than the shacks and serves a few comfort foods and cocktails.
Overall the rooms are clean and new, the beach is very quiet and the sea clear. A good stay with a few niggles which are easy to correct.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeccaLandeg
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Beccalandeg,
Thank you for your recent review on Holiday Inn Resort Mai Khao.
We appreciate the time you took to passing on your experience at the Front Desk and the transfers to Patong. We are always looking at areas where we can improve.
We are glad to hear that you had a great stay with us, despite these concerns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We only stayed at this resort on our last night in Phuket, given the proximity to the airport. We thought that it would tale a lot less time and that it will be a lot cheaper to travel to the airport from there, since we had an early flight. The first part was true, the taxi fare however was of 700 Baht, just as much as it would cost from Partong for instance.
We arrived around noon and they didn't have the room ready so we had to leave our suitcases in the luggage room had lunch and afterwards waited by the beach. This doesn't come in handy, especially if you are not prepared for sunbathing (and after traveling you are most probably not). The thing that shocked us was that the hotel didn't seem to be full, judging by the people we saw in the resort I would say that the occupancy was not that high. I really don't get why would they stick to their absurd after 2PM check-in policy if they have available rooms. Just give it to the miserable waiting guest already, as it doesn't cost you extra!
The room was good - very modern and it seemed to have been recently renovated. The bathroom in particular was very spacious, with a huge walk-in shower.
Now, coming to the activities, I would say that staying here leaves you pretty much stranded. The resort is in the middle of nowhere. Given the fact that we only stayed for one night is was ok, but - boy! - were we glad that we chose another hotel to accommodate in for the largest period of our stay in Phuket. You are very far from the major attractions with absolutely nothing to do outside the resort. We looked for a local shop to buy some souvenirs and after walking a mile or so to the main road we only came across a local shop that sold food items and tools. To their defense, they do offer some minibus rides to the most popular areas of Phuket, but they only left at certain hours and the prices where not that special as advertised by the front desk (some 300 Baht per ride per person, which is a lot considering that for a group larger than three you could take a taxi instead).
Mai Khao beach is not the best one in Phuket either. We preferred the pool instead, as the shore was very abrupt (due to the high waves) and there were some unidentified stinging forms of life in the water. They have some sun lounges on the beach but they were very dirty. The pool was a different story: the staff at the pool bar did not seem courteous and polite at all, they were constantly making all sorts of jokes between them and turning up the volume of the music. Somehow we felt that the service level did not rise up to what we've been accustomed to in Thailand. We didn't get to relax by the pool either, even if it was very well designed and inviting.
We had an awful experience dining in their restaurant: J's. On the spot we felt that the food was very tasty, but we got some terrible cases of stomach-flu the day after. And J's was the only place we ate that day, so this couldn't have been caused by something else.
When we checked out we had another unpleasant surprise: they add 10% service charge to the accommodation. Yes, we were used to that in restaurants but this was the only hotel we've stayed in Thailand that had this additional charge.
Having said all this, I am very glad we only stayed here for one night, as with a longer stay things could have gotten a lot worse.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Ioana A,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in kids suite, the room is tidy and big. The environment is clean and the staff are very helpful. The kids club is fantastic, and swimming pool is also kids friendly.
The downside is the restaurant is abit expensive and choice is limited. Also no free transportation from hotel to airport and Phuket town is disappointing.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear 邵二,
Thank you for your recent review on Holiday Inn Resort Mai Khao.
I am glad to hear you and your family had an enjoyable time with the team especially the Kid’s Club.
We are in the process of reviewing our food offerings by introducing alternate dining events. We do have two restaurants however between all our menus we have over 100 choices including choosing your own fresh seafood.
Thanks again for your review.
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We have been at this resort for 16 days now. Everything about the resort has been wonderful, except for our experience with the kids club.

My two eldest kids love the kids club, and naturally my three year old loves it there as well. The Holiday Inn policy however dictates that if I want to book a baby sitter, that I have to do so 24 hours in advance. My teenage son is happy to look after his brother at the club, and to bring the little one to us at the pool if necessary, but Holiday Inn would not allow my teenage son to look after his brother unless my teenage son stops playing games and activities altogether himself! That is insane! Most resorts have one or two child minders to look after the kids, but not at this resort! So in a nutshell: my youngest ( who enjoys the kids club most of all) is not allowed to go to the kids club!

We were planning to come back here in April for my husbands birthday, but we are now seriously reconsidering it.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Louis J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Louis J,

We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details so we have sent you a separate email.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We are a family of four with 2 young children and decided to try out this resort to our usual JW Marriott Phuket and were very impressed with it.

What We Liked:
- The large and safe ground with plenty of green spaces and trees which was great for the kids to run freely around.

- The nice beach-front infinity pool with a large kids pool.

- The nice kids club with various activities and other kids facilities such as trampoline, playground and selection of books and DVDs to choose by yourself. You could leave the kids there and come back to pick them up later.

- The entire resort was well maintained and kept clean.

- The good food, especially the Thai choices at the J's restaurant, although at the expected resort prices but not that outrageous compared to other resorts in the same area.

- The nice rooms, especially the ones with the pool access.

- The laid-back family-friendly atmosphere.

- The free wi-fi internet anywhere in the resort.

- The great service from the entire staff.

What We Liked Less:
- The pool-side chair mattresses and towels were old and could do with replacement, especially if the resort has been going through a renovation program.

- The lack of restaurant choices with only two restaurants, although we noticed but did not try restaurants who were next to the resort so this was not a huge deal for us.

Overall, this resort is now one of our favourite resorts in Mai Khao along with JW Marriott Phuket. The latter offers a bit more of an atmosphere, touch of luxury and provides romantic settings but our kids loved Holiday Inn Mai Khao so this was more important for us.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank hippodiver
Dear hippodiver,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We are glad to hear that you have been impressed with the Resort and it is now one of your favorite Resorts.

We are looking at sourcing larger beach towels for the pool and renewing the cushions on the lounges.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon on your next visit to Mai Khao.
Yulara, Australia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is our second time here, we stayed here 2 years ago not long after it opened, and the second time was just as good as the first. We stayed 4 nights in a pool access deluxe room, courtesy of IHG membership and an upgrade due to a minor booking mishap that was quickly fixed before we arrived. The rooms are great for families or couples with 2 double beds and plenty of space. The rooms are clean and very well serviced. The gardens are lovely, the pool is terrific, the gym is well stocked, and the beach is the best, there is no rubbish, no one hassling you to buy anything. If you want to party and have load nights and get drunk all the time do not stay here,go to the horrible hole of a place called Patong, the best part of this place is that there is no sleaze and filth or constant hassling you get in Patong. The staff are fantastic, they will do everything they can to be helpful, and they love the kids. The food is great, especially the buffet breakfast. Access to other parts of Phuket is easy with a shuttle bus and all operators will pick you up for tours. The day we arrived was my 40th birthday, and once the checkin staff saw that on my passport the made a fuss about it (which was really nice), i even got a surprise when the the staff brought me a cake and sung to me at the restaurant that evening. We would come back to Thailand just to stay here again.

Room Tip: Any room is good, but a pool access is great.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew D
Dear Andrew D,
Thank you for your loyalty and for completing a wonderful Trip Advisor review. I am glad to hear you had a lovely birthday and that we were able to exceed your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you again and will continue to make sure every stay is memorable.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Family Suite (Rm 6401) on 6th Dec to 10th Dec.

We were picked up promptly from the airport (thank god I booked the hotel transfer as I have a 19mth old baby and way too many touts at airport) and when we arrived at the reception, was greeted and checked in by Khun Prem. First impression was top notch and he made it very swift and was very service oriented when managing my check in. We were given cold towels and drink too. In my booking I asked for baby cot and was told they ran out and wld try to look for me but I never heard from them after that. Good thing baby slept well on the usual bed

I must also say my thanks to the concierge whom I failed to get his name but I remember seeing a tattoo in his arm. He helped us with our heavy luggage and whenever we came back with shopping bags, always offered to drive us in the buggy and carried our bags to our rooms.

Our room was lovely. I guess it being a family suite some form of wear and tear wld be present and I saw that with some of the kids furniture. Not a big issue anyway. But we loved that they had kids amenities like shower gel, shampoo for kids.

Our room had this sweaty smell and I found it coming from our Aircon in the main room. So I told front desk about it and they sent maintenance over to check but didn't find anything wrong. By morning the stench got stronger and I feedback again and later 2 maintenance guys came to check and fixed something to the Aircon and the smell kinda went away altho not completely but definitely better than the first day.

Kids club - great place for the kids. Altho this hotel is FAR from just about everything (nearest tesco is about 20 mins drive) but it's a great family resort. Very relaxing even tho clientele is mostly Russians. We saw many Singaporeans too.

I also spent 3 days at the fitness centre. I engaged Khun Baw from the activities centre to be my private Muay Thai instructor for THB500++ per lesson and had a fantastic time working out and learning from him! To the GM of Holiday Inn Mai Khao if u are reading this -- Khun Baw is AWESOME!! He deserves a raise! :)

Overall a great family resort. If you don't plan on doing much apart from laze, swim, suntan etc this wld be the resort.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Synkronize,
Thank you for your review on trip advisor.
We are glad to hear that you spent valuable time at the Fitness Centre and loved our amenities for children. It is with great pleasure that we will pass on your comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
#12 of 56 in Kata Beach
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!