Firstly the location is very isolated.
Booked 4 nights at this hotel online for a very cheap UK£39/night and for that price I guess it was OK overall. I emailed the hotel to advise that we would arrive late and that we wanted a quiet hotel room. Arrived at midnight and two different rooms had been allocated to us - I was exhausted after a 20 hour journey and the night staff just gave me one of the keys. We were offered a welcome drink and the opportunity to pre-pay for a breakfast package at Baht 375++ per day. I told them I would just sign for breakfast as and when as I could not see the point in paying in advance when we may not wake up the following morning. We later found out that it is Baht 495 if you sign for it daily but the hotel allowed us to pay at reception as they hadn't explained this. We were escorted to the third floor of block 8 next to reception. Room 8314 was a 3rd floor twin bedded room, clean, modern and well fitted out. There was a locked connecting door. There was a balcony with seating for two. The large rainwater style shower did not give enough water to be affective and might as well have been old style.
It became apparent in the morning that the hotel was about 10% full only. The infinity pool area is very pleasant and the lack of guests made it very private. The pool itself has a kids area (where all the sunbeds are located) and a deeper adult area. It is a good size. Pool towels are readily available. Sunbeds are reasonably comfortable and made of rattan. There is a bar which I used once and an Italian Restauarant (yes I did say Italian) which needless to say we did not use. To the sea end of the pool is a funny large foot pool only a few centimetres deep with some sun beds spread across the front. This area has largely been been abandoned and is not cleaned daily. The beach is not suitable for swimming in June. The beach sunbeds are not all as nice as the pool ones. They are also not cleaned as well and the double bed style sunbeds are showing their age. There is a local massage centre (500 baht), a local bar and a small clothes shop at the beach. The massage is expensive for Thailand but good nonetheless. The owner of the bar is a real character - blind in one eye and with loose teeth from boxing he wlll happily chat in poor english or very poor russian and his drinks are cheap.
On the second night it became apparent that we had been given a room in an area generally occupied by Air Berlin crew. These people do not want to get onto Thai time as they are in Phuket for 2 nights only - so they dont sleep. The hotel MUST know this surely! The first night of noise was the night Germany beat USA in the World Cup - they were quickly forgiven as I am not unreasonable. The second night of noise was really annoying - banging above until after 3am and music through the connecting door until I finally nodded off around 3.30am. The hotel gave me 20% off my food bill as compensation which was Baht 250 (yes that is only UK£5). At this point I had lost the will to live so I just accepted - it is not adequate though!
The foodbill was so low because of the simply stunning "Mama's Restaurant" on the road to the hotel. See my review and eat there as much as you can - you will rarely tasteThai food that good.
Breakfast was average although at 0630am whe they opened they had not finished setting up.
So all in all a mixed bag of a hotel with Mamas being the highlight. I certainly wont be back (see my recent reviews of the Renaissance Hotel a few hundred meters away or Outrigger Laguna for better alternatives) as I will pay a little more money for attention to detail.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradise Discovered! Located on the pristine Mai Khao Beach with direct beach access, the resort is the perfect destination to discover the true beauty of Thailand with award winning service. The resort is located on the west coast of Phuket, with 10 kilometres of un-spoilt white sand National Park beach with no crowds and no vendors, leaving you with the beach to yourself and the unforgettable sunsets! With unique Thai hospitality we cater for all types of travelers, from couples on a peaceful romantic getaway, to families seeking the perfect holiday or to great corporate meetings. The family friendly resort proudly boasts beautifully landscaped gardens, a large infinity swimming pool with a children's pool and a swim up pool bar. The Kids Club is recognized by our guests as the most outstanding club they have seen, with a spacious indoor centre with ball pit and swings, as well as a safe and friendly outdoor playground. The amazing kids' activities programs are certain to keep your children entertained all day leaving you time to indulge in the many adult activity programs such as yoga and cooking classes as well as treating yourself in the popular Tea Tree Spa with its beautiful private treatment villas. Free WiFi, Kids Eat Free Program, 24 hour fitness centre, teen and activity zones with Play Stations, pool table, table tennis, darts, badminton, resort centre with books, DVD's & board games and a trampoline are topping the list of popular activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelbag, Ebookers, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Hotel Mai Khao
- Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort