“Let down by lack of service detail”

Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mai Khao
London, United Kingdom
“Let down by lack of service detail”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Firstly the location is very isolated.

Booked 4 nights at this hotel online for a very cheap UK£39/night and for that price I guess it was OK overall. I emailed the hotel to advise that we would arrive late and that we wanted a quiet hotel room. Arrived at midnight and two different rooms had been allocated to us - I was exhausted after a 20 hour journey and the night staff just gave me one of the keys. We were offered a welcome drink and the opportunity to pre-pay for a breakfast package at Baht 375++ per day. I told them I would just sign for breakfast as and when as I could not see the point in paying in advance when we may not wake up the following morning. We later found out that it is Baht 495 if you sign for it daily but the hotel allowed us to pay at reception as they hadn't explained this. We were escorted to the third floor of block 8 next to reception. Room 8314 was a 3rd floor twin bedded room, clean, modern and well fitted out. There was a locked connecting door. There was a balcony with seating for two. The large rainwater style shower did not give enough water to be affective and might as well have been old style.

It became apparent in the morning that the hotel was about 10% full only. The infinity pool area is very pleasant and the lack of guests made it very private. The pool itself has a kids area (where all the sunbeds are located) and a deeper adult area. It is a good size. Pool towels are readily available. Sunbeds are reasonably comfortable and made of rattan. There is a bar which I used once and an Italian Restauarant (yes I did say Italian) which needless to say we did not use. To the sea end of the pool is a funny large foot pool only a few centimetres deep with some sun beds spread across the front. This area has largely been been abandoned and is not cleaned daily. The beach is not suitable for swimming in June. The beach sunbeds are not all as nice as the pool ones. They are also not cleaned as well and the double bed style sunbeds are showing their age. There is a local massage centre (500 baht), a local bar and a small clothes shop at the beach. The massage is expensive for Thailand but good nonetheless. The owner of the bar is a real character - blind in one eye and with loose teeth from boxing he wlll happily chat in poor english or very poor russian and his drinks are cheap.

On the second night it became apparent that we had been given a room in an area generally occupied by Air Berlin crew. These people do not want to get onto Thai time as they are in Phuket for 2 nights only - so they dont sleep. The hotel MUST know this surely! The first night of noise was the night Germany beat USA in the World Cup - they were quickly forgiven as I am not unreasonable. The second night of noise was really annoying - banging above until after 3am and music through the connecting door until I finally nodded off around 3.30am. The hotel gave me 20% off my food bill as compensation which was Baht 250 (yes that is only UK£5). At this point I had lost the will to live so I just accepted - it is not adequate though!

The foodbill was so low because of the simply stunning "Mama's Restaurant" on the road to the hotel. See my review and eat there as much as you can - you will rarely tasteThai food that good.

Breakfast was average although at 0630am whe they opened they had not finished setting up.

So all in all a mixed bag of a hotel with Mamas being the highlight. I certainly wont be back (see my recent reviews of the Renaissance Hotel a few hundred meters away or Outrigger Laguna for better alternatives) as I will pay a little more money for attention to detail.

Room Tip: Keep away from the Air Berlin staff
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Michael P,

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to write about us regarding your recent stay. We trust you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

It is regrettable to hear how disappointing your stay was. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I would like to understand more about your feedback and it would be very much appreciated if you can contact me at info@holidayinnmaikhao.com.

I'm looking forward to discussing with you about your experience in our resort and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations.

Chris Batterham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I checked in yesterday with my family (2 kids) for 6 nights. From the moment we checked in staff was very helpful and despite language issues, was always ready to assist and help in any manner they could.

The most important aspect of their approach is the genuineness and kindness they reflect in their attitude. You always know that they are making their best effort and even if they are not able to address issue on hand, you know that they want to. I am sure their Manager has a huge role to play in this culture.

Many hotels and their manager can learn a thing or two from this.

My kids were finding it difficult to make food choices from the menu and on day 1 hardly ate anything apart from potato wedges. I was even considering shifting to some other hotel and then I met Hotel Manager - Mr. Harinder. At what a pleasant experience it was !!!

He immediately assured me that he will take care of this and will consult chef to develop a special menu for our kids (I think only Head of State (s) are offered such kind of presidential treatment).

Chef Luis met us today morning and worked out special menu for kids to suit their taste. I am not seen any hotel do this.

The other important thing which I noticed and to me is a great management lesson was that all staff members were aware of our requirement (or problem as I would have seen it had I been in their shoes!!) and were making all effort to make us comfortable. It was obvious that it was discussed in the morning staff meeting and all staff members were aligned to the task on hand and working in tandem to make guest comfortable.

It is such a hear warming experience and I am already thinking of planning one more trip to this resort with a larger group of family and friends.

A bid THANK YOU to all staff members and management to making us feel so special.

Thanks a Lot

Room Tip: Hotel offers rooms with pool and for families kid rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RajivPuri
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear RajivPuri,

It's a great pleasure to read such a nice comment about us and we are happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the service we offer.

Your comment with regards the great customer service of our team members is appreciated and I will be sure to share with our team. We hope to see your family back with us soon.

"Book your next stay with us to get a chance to win a free accommodation voucher. Check out our Stay Lucky package"

Singapore
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights, booked the Pool access suite.

Check in was smooth, welcome drinks and cold towels were offered.A buggy was called and we were taken to our room which was not far from the reception.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and the awesome pool access.That was really the highlight of the whole trip.Having a pool right at your doorstep was just so exciting for my daughter.I could watch over her in the comfort of my room and not sit in the hot sweltering sun.My daughter could swim for hours and still come in the room for a snack or rest.We had a baby cot for my toddler and the room was still spacious.

Food was ok.breakfast had a good spread.They are not halal(there were some pork items).We ordered room service a few nights.Other days we ate from mama restraunt.but we always ordered take away as the place has too many flies.and you can't eat in peace.eating in the room was far more peaceful.the food was awesome.authentic fish dishes, tom yum, fried rice, basil chicken.. you've got to try it at least once! Yummy!!!

Mai Khao is a very quiet place nothing much happening.But we wanted some peace and quiet anyway. As we have stayed at Holiday Inn Patong this was a refreshing change.
There are shuttle services to Patong at a charge.Please check with reception on the charges.
We went to Patong.. just to visit Jungceylon and walk around the town.We left Mai Khao at 9am and reached Patong at around 10.20am..this is without a jam.We got the 4:30pm shuttle back but was an extremely long journey with massive jams.We reached Mai Khao at 7pm plus.
So my suggestion if you want nightlife, shopping and the beach please stay at the Holiday Inn Patong.
If you want absolute peace and tranquillity please stay at the Holiday Inn Mai Khao.

The kids club is ok.My eldest spent some time there.Watching dvds and doing craft.Good for them to pass time.

Wifi was excellent!! Its so far the best I have come across! It was so useful to have when the kids were bored of the 2 kids channel on tv.just used our ipad to keep them entertained.

The beach is not for swimming.. very high waves and the sea is choppy.Just get the pool access room and laze there the whole day.

There were 2 power failures when we were there.I know its common but this was very annoying as I had a sick toddler with me during the last night..it took them way to long to get it back on!

Check out was smooth too.Our pick up came on time.

We are already planning when to return to the resort.

Overall, stay here if you just want to bum around eat and sleep.Basically just forget the fast paced lives we live and chill.Enjoy!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear ShashaFierce,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience with us. We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your Pool access room which is a highlight at our peaceful resort and your further comment with regard the efficiency of check in and check out are well received.

We are looking forward to your next memorable stay with us.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My family and I had a wonderful time in Phuket and we were pleased to have spent 5 nights in a Kids Suite on the top floor. The room was configured to include a separate room for the kids, furnished with a set of bunk beds, a wall-installed LCD display, a Playstation console with two handheld controls, two foam-filled "bean-bag" cushions and a clothe shelf in the form of a tree. Our kids found the room and beds comfy and cosy. The kids' room and our king-size bed is separated by a generous bathroom which includes a bathtub, shower area (with handheld shower and rain shower), wash basin and a good size mirror. The closet provided is also of generous proportions. A couch (which sits 4 persons) is placed at the foot of our bed. There is also a small coffee table, sufficient for two to dine on when room service is delivered. On the wall facing the couch and the bed is another LCD display. This means the kids get to watch their programs while my wife and I get to watch ours. Cable TV is available 24/7 - the selection included news, movie, kids and entertainment channels. The suite comes with a generous balcony overlooking the garden, with view of the Tea Tree Spa village. The toilet is detached from the bathroom, which is an advantage - although it would be great if a basin could have been installed there for washing of hands. The size of the suite is generous and spacious enough for the 4 of us. A downside to the room - it was infested with ants. They were everywhere and we have had to do the necessary "extermination" on a daily basis. We ate at J's most of the time and the food quality is good. Menu variety is adequate and the service staff were prompt and friendly. Ambience of the restaurant is bright and pleasant but more could be done about the many houseflies. DVDs and books can be borrowed at no additional cost from the reception area. Bicycles are also available for borrowing. There is a pool table and a little shop at the reception area which sells drinks, snacks, souvenirs and postage stamps. Playstation games can be borrowed from the Kids Club at no additional cost. The Kids Club is well designed to give kids a comfortable and cosy feel. It is equipped with comfortable seating areas for reading and watching movies which are played at the request of any child. There is a generous area filled with coloured plastic balls and a slide and swing placed in the middle. A separate area is set for tables and chairs where activities such as painting and fan-making are conducted. My kids were disappointed that they did not have t-shirts in their sizes when they wanted to sign-up for batik painting. Going forward, we hope the Kids Club will look into replenishing all t-shirt sizes when they run-out to avoid disappointing kids. The Kids Club is equipped with its own little toilets for kids' use. The club is well-maintained in terms of cleanliness and condition. The female staff members are also very friendly and attentive. They know the kids by their names. The resort has a well maintained lawn area and a big trampoline. The resort's pool consists of a shallow wading area, a deeper area (water only up to my upper chest level) and a pool-bar. Overall a safe pool however, I reckon it would be crowded if the resort has an 80% occupation rate at any one time. The resort provides many deck chairs, several hammocks and a small soccer pitch on the sand amidst many Casuarina trees. The beach is not much of an area for sand-play and the water is rough and choppy (this is the Andaman Sea). The resort is situated at a rather remote location, hence the peace and tranquillity. Be prepared to pay at least THB 600-800 one-way to any destination. We managed to negotiate for the cabby to provide return trips for THB 800 on several occasions. The resort provides shuttle to and from Central Festival and Patong at reasonable prices (check with reception). We experienced a black-out on one of the nights and understandably, it is a common occurrence during monsoon periods. The black-out lasted too long and I am not certain if the resort had a back-up generator. While the lights came back-on after 10 minutes at a neighbouring resort, it took our resort close to 3 hours before power was restored. My daughter couldn't shower after a swim in the pool and had to go around smelling of chlorine while we had dinner and eventually showered in cold water because she grew sleepy and needed to prepare for bed. Not sure if more could have been done to have power reinstated within a shorter time. On the next day, we still didn't get hot water and the engineer had to be called-in to fix our water heater. This was however, resolved swiftly. Despite the kinks, we had a good time at the resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RonTang
Dear RonTang,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience with us.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Kids Suite and kid's facilities. Your feedback about the black-out is highly appreciated and we apologize for the inconveniences.

The team and I are looking forward to having your family back with us and please do let us know how we can make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

we totally enjoy stay in this hotel. Nice Food , Nice Room , Nice Breakfast , Nice Food in restaurant , most important is the staff they were all very kind and smiling all the time.
except the transpiration is not so convenient , i would suggest ppl who stay in this hotel should rent a car first.
Finally i'd like to thank all of them for there helping us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simonliem
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Simonliem,

It's always our great pleasure to read such a beautiful comment about us.

We are very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in our peaceful paradise and looking forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Johannesburg South Africa
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have been to Mauritius and Zanzibar a number of times and looked forward to our trip to Thailand - Phuket. Because of what we heard about Patong - party vibe, loud music and hectic night life we decided to book at Mai Khao Beach which is close to the Airport but far away from everything else. The hotel is very nice, rooms are up to standard and facilities are on par with those in Mauritius and Zanzibar. Breakfast was good value and a reasonable variety. Our rate included Bed and Breakfast only, and rest is for your account. Both restaurants at the hotel is very pricey and food is not great but acceptable. Since it is far removed from everything else you don't have much of a choice other than eating at the hotel restaurant. Staff was very friendly and helpfull and lived up to the Thai way of service with a smile. Beach was good and we enjoyed the sea, but no snorkeling or other water sport activities offered by the hotel like they do in Mauritius or Zanzibar. It all depends on what you want out of a vacation whether you would enjoy this hotel or not. I found it too far removed from everything, and if hotel offered decent buffet dinners, more variety of evening entertainment, etc. perhaps. Next time I will stay closer to Patong without being right in the hustle and bustle, but not in Mai Khao Beach as it is too quiet and nothing to offer other than what the hotel has and they take advantage on prices for dinner, drinks, etc. Even getting around will cost you - the hotel shuttle charges you, but much less than a taxi. We paid about 350 USD for use of a taxi for a day (9h30 t0 4h30).

Room Tip: If you stay here, make use of Hotel shuttle to Patong. I would not recommend going to Phuket Town as...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RudiGrobbelaar
Dear RudiGrobbelaar,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us following your stay.

We appreciate your feedback which helps us understanding what is important for our guests and we are looking forward to welcoming you back with us in the future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We decided to stay here as it was close to the airport and we wanted to explore this end of Phuket! Transportation is simple, so no need to worry about Crazy traffic going down to Patong especially if your arrival flight time is late afternoon! The hotel is very nice and the layout is spot on, with nice garden/grass area in the middle where kids could run around and they have movies at night in the same area. There is also a very good kids room/house which has lots of activities for the kids and they all seemed to be having a good time when we looked in through the window. Then you come to the main pool and then the beach basically starts from the pool area with the sea just a 100 yards or so away, which is PERFECT! The pool area has bar and restaurant and plenty of sun bathing areas.The beach is incredibly quite and around 10km long so for people who want to jog/walk in the morning/evening without the MASSES is BRILLIANT! This would be the same at any time of the year as there are not many hotels on that beach, so guaranteed peace/Bliss! There is also a Water Park just up the road about 10 minutes away max for the kids/adults young at heart. There is a gym which looked pretty good/yes did not try, although took my training gear, so 1 point for that! Health/massage centre looked very professional, so pampering would be high on the list for some. We had breakfast outside in the sunken seating area under the awning which was very pleasant and the staff of course very friendly, simply Thai style! We had booked the pool access room which is very spacious, simple modern design with a nice terrace then the pool which runs the length of all the rooms. I was told you could swim up and down but that would mean swimming past peoples rooms which is a bit intruding to my mind, so stayed within our room area. Which is fine, beacause if you prefer to do laps just go to the pool or sea. There is also a great little simple restaurant just outside the hotel which has great food dishes & BBQ seafood / Yummy, very cheap with nice big Cold bottles of Singha Gold beer!
So, basically the hotel is far away from Patong and all the main action, so to travel will be a pain for most people! But, if you are just relaxing or doing a lot of tours you will be too tired to worry about going out again at night so the place is perfect and just popping out to the little local restaurant is a God send when you are Knackered!

Room Tip: We stayed on the left hand side as you look from the reception area towards the sea and found that y...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 321Hoody
Dear 321Hoody,

It's always a great pleasure to read such a nice comment about us.

We are very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in our peaceful paradise and looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Phuket.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
Marriott's Mai Khao Beach - Phuket
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!