We first stayed in this hotel to meet friends who had already booked there. I was definitely reluctant at first, as we do not normally opt for large resort style hotels. We have now lost count of the number of times that we have visited the JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa because it seems to get the balance between providing things for children and adults just right. Our children are always asking when we will next stay there.
There are enough restaurants to offer variety for a one week holiday. Our favourites for family dining are the Japanese and Thai restaurants. The buffet breakfast is superb, especially if you can beat the rush. The Siam Deli is a nice casual alternative if you just want to grab a snack. All of the restaurants seem really stretched when the hotel is near full capacity though. Long waits and regular errors are the order of the day. If you arrive at peak periods like Christmas or Chinese New Year, I would definitely recommend making all of your dining reservations as soon as you arrive an be prepared for slow service once you get to the restaurants.
The activities programme is excellent and offers plenty of diversions for children who need to get in out of get sun to do some batik painting, arts and crafts etc. There is also a wide variety of DVDs, games etc. that can be used. One caveat about the children's play area is that there is no way that I would allow my children to stay there if we were not around to supervise. The staff appear to be incapable of keeping track of the number of children that are signed in at any given time.
The beach is usually too rough for children to swim in but there are plenty of pool options. The family pool with the slide is obviously a major hit and there is an adult pool at the far end of the resort for those who want a bit more peace and quiet. THere is never any shortage of loungers although that does not stop some guests from 'bagging' their favourites with towels etc. in the morning and never returning until much later in the day. The massages and hair braiding by the beach are very popular with adults and children alike and represent excellent value. The hotel spa is pleasant but obviously massages there are much more expensive than those offered by hawkers near the beach.
It can be a little too easy to never venture out of the resort for the duration of your stay, but I think that to get the most from your holiday, it is worth hiring a car and heading out for a couple of side trips. There are wonderful boat trips that can be taken off the east coast, there are still fabulous little beach shacks that serve fresh seafood dotted along the coast. There is a water park a few minutes' drive from the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa is set in lush tropical gardens, with 17 kms of natural beachfront. Twenty minutes north of the airport, our Phuket resort's grounds comprise 265 spacious rooms including 13 suites, all facing towards the Andaman Sea. Facilities include eleven restaurants and bars, Thai cooking school, three magnificent pools, full-service Mandara Spa, on-site turtle shelter, shopping arcade, activities-packed kids club including on-site turtle shelter. The fitness center includes two tennis courts, yoga sala. Golf available nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Phuket Hotel Mai Khao
- Jw Marriott Phuket Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott Mai Khao
- Marriott Phuket
- Phuket Marriott
- JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa Mai Khao