“Everyone enjoyed a good trip...”

JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mai Khao
Beijing, China
“Everyone enjoyed a good trip...”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed in Phuket for 10 nights and decided to split between two different hotels. Our first five nights were in the Bang Thao area and the next five nights at this hotel, located north of the Phuket airport. We were well received and check in was smooth. The hotel van that picked us up from the other hotel even had mobile internet access and my kids (14 and 10 yo) were instantly impressed!

We had two interconnected garden view rooms on the ground floor with our own private terrace that led to the hotel gardens. Rooms were nicely appointed, clean and spacious.

The resort is massive - three pools, numerous restaurants (including a well known Japanese restaurant), large gardens, amazing flora and fauna, great staff and an excellent massage centre.

We had breakfast at the hotel and the spread beat the other resort completely. We spent most of our time at the resort. The were many activities to do for everyone. My 14 yo son swam, did stilt walking, tried out scuba diving in the main pool, did the tight rope walk challenge, was trained on Thai kick boxing, did cycling with me, and then played his video games at the kids' cub (a section for teenagers too!).

My 10 yo daughter did many activities at the kids' centre including arts and craft, and cake baking! She joined her brother in swimming, stilt walking and tight rope challenge. She additionally did the circus activity which was fun for her.

Most of the activities are free but some require some fees.

My wife and I joined the kids as much as we could. At other times we sneaked to the massage centre or took strolls in the resort or to the nearby shopping arcade called Turtle Village. i played golf at the nearby Mission Hills Golf Resort (15 minute drive) with discounts from the hotel. Two evenings we hired a taxi out to nearby local restaurants for dinner. We went to Thanoom which is on the mainland across the Sarasin Bridge and by the beach (THB600 taxi - return) and Kindee which is not far from the Sarasin Bridge but on the island side (THB500 taxi return). The taxi waited for us both times.

Good value for money, great staff service and wide activities for everyone. Well done!

If there were any areas for improvement, to have better seating arrangement for breakfast (either a booking system or more spaces at different restaurants), a tat cheaper prices at the restaurants, more cultural shows like the fire show at the main concourse.

Room Tip: Garden view and nearer to the main concourse
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fibreace380
Ashley L, Manager at JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Fibreace380

It really sounds like you had a great time at the Hotel and I'm very pleased that we ended up your number one choice! Good to hear that you experienced some of the local restaurants - some guests are quite nervous to do so with concerns about hygiene, so long as you are careful I think eating the local food really to your vacation experience and is very tasty (but sometimes too spicy..!) my top tip to other travellers who read this is never ask for "Thai Style" as thats when things can go nuclear...
The kids activities are never ending and wonderfully exhausting giving Mum and Dad ample opportunity to enjoy a new Adult Only dining options that run throughout the week! You were right to try massage as Thailand is simply the best place for it - it's not unusual for guests to book themselves in daily....whilst in Rome..
Be sure to come back and see us in the future - your review was great and no doubt very helpful to many of our future guests!

Ashley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Greater Cincinnati
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is a great resort for a family vacation, especially Americans who are looking something that resembles the US. This review is also based on traveling as a family with elementary aged kids.

HOTEL: Rooms are clean and well taken care of, staff checks in regularly. No complaints are suggestions for improvement. It is a hotel room in a beautiful location, so spend time outside the room…

POOL: Great pool. Really great pool. Main kid pool has varying depths and a little water slide. Great for the under 10 crowd. They also bring out free popsicles at about 2 or 3 every day, which the kids down in the high temps. There is the bigger pool as well and molded chairs in the pool that have bubbles for a pseudo massage – a nice novelty.

BEACH: Beach is nice though jelly fish are abundant. These are really small jelly fish, like the size of a marble. They did sting me which I hardly notices, but made an impact on the little ones. Hence, very beautiful beach but limited activity in the water. NOTE: My kids made up a new game of chasing the little sand crabs and putting them into a plastic cup, quite the challenge but they figured it out.

ROOMS: Nice rooms that are very clean. The downside of this hotel and other hotels in Asia is rooms are set up for 3, hence for a family of 4 or 5 requires two rooms. There is the option of trying to get an extra kid or two in the room, but that is a risk.

FOOD: Breakfast buffet was top notch for all types of food, though not the selection you would find at a 5 star Sunday brunch, the price was also reasonable. My picky kids all found something that they liked. The oatmeal was fantastic, if that is something that appeals to you.
Lunches by the pool, were, well, pools lunches. Not great but what do you expect? Skip them if you figure out a better option.

The Cucina (i.e. the Italian joint) is fine but really over priced. As a healthy American family, the boys and myself could have used two portions each. This is best avoided if you can figure out better options or are completely price insensitive.

Marriott Café has a pretty good seafood buffet. A little pricey but still nice. The food safety was a little concern though as none of the staff had gloves and I noticed some behaviors that I am hoping were one off events. With that being said, I would do it again. My kids definitely would as they destroyed the dessert bar.

Siam Deli is probably the best and most economical option for dinners at the resort. Food is OK but nothing to write home about. This is for families by the way. If you are kid-free, try something better unless you are on a tight budget. But if you are on a tight budget, why are you on vacation in Thailand at a 5 star hotel?

ACTIVITIES: My kids really enjoyed everything put on by the acrobat crew. The tight rope walk across the pool was a great challenge. They also enjoyed the training classes, learning how to do trampoline stunts and trapeze events. The staff was wonderful here.

Massages on the beach were great and cheap. Make sure to bring local currency though as they give you lone-shark rates on anything other than Thai Bhat.

It was rumored that they have a baby elephant around the place, that is NOT correct….if you want to see elephants do a side excursion. Keep in mind that the elephants are ‘imported’ and not native to the area. TIP: Only do the short elephant tour if you do it. They are NOT comfortable to ride on – most militaries choose horses over elephants for a reason.

SUMMARY: Plan on doing it again….great resort destination.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank AmericanDadinChina
Dear AmericanDadinChina,

Thank you for some very balanced and well thought out feedback. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you intend to return to see us again. The kids pool is a favorite for many and will remain so for many years, no doubt, however we will make one of our Pools (We have 3!! ) for Adults Only which means you need only drop your kids in the kids club and then head poolside to sip some Phuket Mojito's!
We will not stand still. We all work very hard in improving the many services that are on offer here at JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa - when you return next year I am confident you will be even more impressed!

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Arrived at the hotel a little bit early, so we were offered a welcome drink and asked to return in about 1 and a half hours, the hotel staff made sure that our bags would be kept at their storage and by the time we returned from our city trip, bags were already in our room. The staff is amazingly friendly and courteous. Definitely if you want to have a wonderful time, go to this hotel. Breakfast is of great variety and for all tastes asian and western. The pool area is excellent and the hotel staff makes sure that you always have a glass full of iced water at no cost to you. Prices are very accesible, food is wonderful, the site is amazing, the beach among the best in the world, definitely this is a place I could recommend to anyone, very recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground level, no issues with noise.
Dear Alejandro L

The breakfast buffet is memorable and now that it runs from 6.30am to midday it means you dont have to rush in the morning - in fact it is officially the longest breakfast buffet in Phuket (quick call the guiness book of records!) and now to go one step further we are introducing a serenity breakfast for adults which will have a rather delicious prosecco bar and bloody mary station - for those who want to start the day right....watch out for it when you next return when it will be bloody mary's and then a stroll on our 17 km white sandy beach.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed as a family and had a very enjoyable time. The kids club was very well run, the best we have ever seen on holiday resorts. It was well maintained and scheduled with constant interesting activities and a team who were able to actively managed the children and get them involved in the activities. I was very impressed and for this reason alone would be keen to stay at another JW.

We chose JW Marriott due to the standard of luxury (mummy wants to enjoy her holiday too) and also standard with kids activities. Of all the hotels on Phuket Island (and I researched ALL of the 5* hotels) this was by far the best and we were not disappointed.

My few issues were with the expensive food on campus - I don't mind paying hotel prices for food as long as it is very good and worth the price. I felt a bit let down in that area in all venues except Ginja which had excellent cuisine. The service at all of your dining outlets was very good . But the overall taste felt somewhat lacking considering we are in Thailand - a food heaven for any palate. I would have wanted to see more local cuisine represented and more interested chefs. Before we had children, we stayed often at Anantara resorts and the food there has always been consistently of a higher standard - prices the same but there felt a bit more passion in the food. I am sure there is something which can be done to excite the chefs more at the JW Marriott.

What probably disappointed me most was breakfast - as much as I realize there are limitations in what can be done given the size of the property - I found that the daily morning breakfast queue in the Marriott Cafe (we also tried breakfast in the Cucina which was a bit better) really started the day off on the wrong foot. The staff did their best to help manage it but the crowd at the front door which spilled over into the fruits and juice area really was an unpleasant way to start off the day. People were jostling to get to food, and guests queuing were picking disgustingly at the fruits every day. The food service area was very small given the volume you are accommodating and guests were always on top of each other. I do hope that there can be something done about this or alternative breakfast options can be considered or a larger breakfast area? I have been to an even larger hotel in Hua Hin which serviced families but the breakfast location was large enough that it felt much more manageable.

I provided this feedback to the management team, have been reassured that this was being seriously reviewed and considered so hopefully there will be some good changes soon. I did not deduct a star because I would still stay here again, just manage my families meals much differently.

But other than that point, I am very impressed with the service from the JW team. It was excellent and very authentic and enjoyable. From the very pleasant Bell Hop team who set a happy and confident tone when entering the hotel (something often overlooked by large properties) - to each employee who greeted me when passing by. It was such a pleasure to be on the resort. We also extensively used the fitness area and were very pleased with the overall quality of the staff there - we took private Muay Thai lessons and enjoyed the quality of the classes.

Although my stay had some niggles, I am still very pleased with the property. Service standard is first and foremost for me and your staff as done well. I would have liked to recognize one particular person but it would be unfair to all others who were just as good - the room maids, the desk staff, the concierge, all knew how to handle the guests and make us feel comfortable. They saw issues and helped make sure individual guests felt well taken care of.

One point to note - the location of the hotel is on the northern part of the island and a good 40-60 min drive to Patong Beach area. Although we did not go often, there are some decent restaurants and shows in this area so we planned our trips to go there. Its not close to the city area so consider what you are looking to do when you stay here. We enjoyed staying on the property most so this was fine for us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TMausH
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've been to the JW Marriott on 6 occasions. Mainly due to the fact that my parents purchased time share there. Upon returning over the years you get to know the staff which have become like family to us. Great gym, spa and facilities. It's a home away from home really!

Dear Ciaransw88

The team are delighted to see you again. Having so many returning guests makes working here extra special. The familiar faces help create a wonderful holiday environment that everybody gets to enjoy - coming to work suddenly becomes more of a social event than work! We have families much like yourself who come so regularly that we get to witness the kids growing up - really wonderful. Make sure you hurry back again soon!

HK
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel facilities together with the deep enough large pools are just great for family, friends and couples to stay for a few days. The buffet breakfast is just good start of a day. The main weakness is a bit crowded around the pool even August is not the busiest season. However, there are still very large grass fields for people to enjoy in the hotel areas.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear keungkeung

Thank you for your comments on TA, I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Phuket. I agree that the pools are impressive as is the grounds of the Hotel which are spread over a very grand 27 acres of national maritime park land meaning that there ia always a quiet corner waiting whether it be on the deserted beach or in our tropical gardens which have fully matured over the past 13 years since opening our doors!
In addition we are proud to share that this year we had 4 turtles returning to nest right in front of the Hotel, a just reward for some really hard work from the hotel conservation team. When you return please say hello and our Director of CSR will give you the best tips on visiting nearby turtle conservation centres where you can be trained how to hold turtles correctly - the kids love it!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The room views are not so panoramic and as shown in the pic. we booked the package online and room allotted to us were sub standard. They had very limited options to upgrade. The hotel was very well maintained and clean always. Food was excellent. Mandara SPA was heavenly and worth a visit. Swimming pools for kids is a feature but please carry your inflatables for kids. Expected the hotel to provide. Cribs were not maintained well. I am regular in JW properties across but was little disappointed with Phuket.

Room Tip: Go for Royal Suite if you need a panoramic ocean view. Ground floor rooms are better than 1st floor...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!