“Hotel of last resort came up trumps”

Logis Les Tuileries
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fey
Reviewed 17 February 2013

The reviews on Trip Advisor rather put me off and I only stayed when the other hotels I had considered were full. The Logis de France guide gives the maximum of 3 chimneys and 3 cooking pans which was encouraging! In fact my welcome could not have been better as the receptionist changed my room to one on the ground floor with an excellent shower. My usual gripe with French showers is that no matter how good the shower they never provide a place to put your shampoo bottle and soap, this was no exception. The room was small but had all that was necessary. Week-end rate of 75 euro seemed reasonable and the heating kept the winter cold at bay. Breakfast (12 euro) had a large selection of cold meat, cheese, breads, and a chafing dish with scrambled egg and otherr items (which I did not investigate).

The restaurant was odd. It was very poorly lit which made reading the menu difficult. The staff of about 8 were eventually dealing with about 90 diners, and although they ran (yes, ran) from pillar to post they did not seem to have the time to provide any service! I had to ask for the wine list twice. My white wine was glugged into the glass and the waiter had disappeared before I had time to bat an eyelid, let alone try the wine! That said, they were all polite and as helpful as they could be at speed.

The meal was excellent: Terrine de Cerf à la Royale, Chutney d’Airelles (20 euro); La Veritable Sole XXL (800/900g) Meunière, Pommes Vapeur et Beurre Noisettes (38 euro); Soufflé Glacé à la Mirabelle (12 euro). My drinks were 54 euro which included a half bottle of Pouilly Fumé (25 euro), a glass of Côte de Toul (8 euro), and an old Mirabelle (10 euro).

The situation of the hotel, just south of Metz and close to the motorway is good. I would stay here another time were I in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LondonGavroche

Reviewed 8 December 2012

We have stayed here several times. The location near the motorway is good. Rooms have recently been refurbished and are comfortable and clean. This time, dinner in the Italian bistro was rather ordinary; nothing was cooked from scratch except the pasta, which took the same 3 minutes as the sauce from a jar. It all tasted OK, nothing special for the price.
Our only big problem occurred when someone entered our room that night, having been given the same room as us by the receptionist. Next morning when we reported what had happened, the person in charge did not seem particularly concerned about what we saw as a big mistake in security, and left it to her junior colleague to apologise. We understand Logis hotels to be family run with a friendly, personal touch, but this was like any big anonymous chain hotel. We won't be keen to go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We had a clear run from Calais and arrived at the hotel at 4pm. The young receptionist was on her own and when I asked for a bottle of white wine her look of panic made me take pity and between the two of us, she and I found a bottle behind the bar which was cold and a make-shift ice bucket which did the trick! The room was adequate and clean. The dinner was a real surprise as it was memorable for all the right reasons: delicious local food and wine and a helpful hard-working waitress. However, the breakfast was chaotic as there was a group of local middle-managers in the foyer having coffee and being rather demanding of the one person on duty. As a result the breakfast room was unattended and one or two of the middle-managers were helping themselves to food which meant that several overnight customers including us did not get the food or assistance we needed ( no milk, no orange juice etc). This is, however, a useful stop-over location but rather overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We are a mature couple based in Switzerland, and travelling through France. Our room was confortable and the ensuite very clean. Weather was very hot, and the airconditioning struggled to cope. Courtyard restaurant was excellent and prices were very reasonable.
My French is not good, but I was pleasantly surprised and grateful to find the staff responded in their best English - especially reception. Restaurant was closed on Sunday night, but we were redirected to nearby village. Breakfast more than adequate.

Room Tip: Double glazing - very little road noise. Best views at front of Hotel - although in Summer sun sets...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Situated in a remote location at the edge of a motorway. Bistro closed at weekends forcing guests to eat in the overpriced restaurant. Older staff at reception refused to speak english and all waiters denied that thay could speak english. When asked for a translation of the Menu they produced a printed frence/english translation booklet and expected guests to spend 20 minutes working out what the food was. After eating their over priced food, it got even worse as my friends and I were ill the next day - from both ends!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alan1Bangor
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We stopped en route to eat and we considered to spend the night in the hotel. The exterior was promissing. We had dinner at the pasta bar. It was really a terrible experience. We started with carpaccio's that we could not eat. Bitter, inferior and over dated meat. Second course was pasta for me and my 3 sons. The worst ever. We were shocked. We all tried 1 or 2 bites and left the rest. The waiter did not respond to this. After making a remark about the quality we were laughed at by the staff and we had to pay the whole bill (Euro 70). Terrible, and unbelieveable that such places still exist.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank wimgeb
Reviewed 11 July 2008

We stayed here for one night for a stopover while on our way to the south of France. It is very conveniently located, close to the A31, but not noisy at all. The room was clean, and the bathroom inparticular was rather good, a nice bathtub. Not cheap though especially if you arrive late and leave early... breakfast is way too expensive, as are the drinks in the bar. Good parking.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank BarbaraGenevaCH

Been to Logis Les Tuileries? Share your experiences!