“Soul-reviving”

Ranked #36 of 144 things to do in Taos County
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range, this wilderness area includes Wheeler Peak, which is the highest point in New Mexico at 13,161 feet in height.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
310 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Soul-reviving”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I were in search of snow and we found it here! We snow-shoed up to Williams Lake and enjoyed a picnic lunch there. The trails were packed snow, so for the most part we could use our micro-spikes, but towards the end we were glad we also had snow shoes. The trailhead has a large parking area with a satelite bathroom. It is in a well-travelled area, so we felt safe leaving our car there. The trail is well-marked. We plan to go back this summer!

Visited February 2014

Shavano Park, Texas, USA
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Wonderful Winter Wonderland”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a place to hike with snowshoes in the winter! It has been a gift to do so. I have hiked in this area all year round. It is nice to be in the great out of doors in the winter. One's spouse may desire to ski and one may not wish to go down hill fast! Yes, I have been hiking in the Wheeler Peak Wilderness Area in the summer too. What a pleasure. Don't forget the chocolate to eat at the end of your journey when it is time to turn around.

Visited January 2014
Mansfield, tx
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a View!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

While I am no great athlete, I have climbed to the top of Wheeler Peak several times. It is a strenuous, but doable hike for anyone in pretty good physical condition. It is a thrill to reach the top and look east, knowing that there is nothing as high between you and the Atlantic Ocean.

Visited December 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Mt. Wheeler - Again Two Months Later”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I did a review in June when I hiked up via the Bull of the Woods trail then came down by Williams Lake. On August 23, my wife and I made a hike to the top via the Williams Lake route. My wife absolutely loved it once we broke out of the trees. It was a beautiful sunny day with a light wind. Marmots were everywhere, including some quite close to the trail. Also saw a grouse and some Pika's. Wild flowers were still plentiful too. Not many hikers either. I love this hike. Its more scenic IMO than a hike up Mt. Elbert, Colorado's highest peak, which I did in July. One of the nice things about hiking Wheeler, is its doable for those who are fit, not necessary to be a hiker. My wife made it, she's 52, and is not a hiker but she does walk 18 holes of golf four to five days a week.

Visited August 2013
Denver, Colorado
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Well maintained trail to top of Wheeler Peak”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The trail is very well marked and made for an enjoyable walk up Wheeler Peak. We went mid week, on a bit of a rainy day, so we did not see many people. The view was great, and the walk pleasant. Saw lots of marmots-in particular, a very fat guy who was only about a yard from us and posed for pictures.

Visited September 2013