“Great vacations”

Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort.
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I have to say that this time is one of my best hotel experience. People are nice and friendly and informative, the breakfast in the restaurant is excellent with high quality. The room is clean and comfortable with very good view. The location is excellent and convenient to airport and the beach. Easy access to different restaurants, bars and beach clubs which is just 5 mins walk. Very proffessional guards who always ready to help you to go across the street as Thai's traffic is very unpredictable :)
I will highly recommend to my friends/ family if they ever get a chance travelling to Phuket. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heaven2013
Simon M, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort., responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2013

Dear Heaven

Thank you so much for completing a review after your recent stay at the Resort.

We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We strive to provide every guest with their perfect vaction and I am so glad we suceeded in your case.

I will share your feedback with the team and pass on your regards to our security team.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warm regards
Simon McGrath

Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 9 days. We were meeting family from Australia who have children so we thought this would be a good choice in surin with it having a kids club etc.

We booked this hotel when they had a special offer on 6 months ago. We booked the standard room, but was upgraded to the one bedroom suite as part of the deal. Therefore we paid approx £50 a night for this was exceptional value. Therefore I am reviewing the hotel on this price that we paid, not what the price was when we extended by 2 days when we were there which was £120 a night (which in my opinion is overpriced).

The one bedroom suite was very spacious, modernish, with loads of storage. Fantastic if you had kids. The living area was really big, the balcony a good size too. It had everything you needed, iron, ironing bard, safe etc. so all in all, very practical. The bathroom was basic but fine. My only comment of the rooms is that they all need painting and sprucing up. They are quite shabby actually. The bathroom on the floor around the grouting was very scruffy. If I would've paid the full price, I wouldn't have been happy with that. But as I only paid £50, I couldn't complain. Plus the rooms were still nice.

I really liked the layout and size of the hotel. It's not very big, and just really easy to get from a to b. I loved the lobby area. Nice and stylish, it had a really nice feeling to it. The grounds were lovely with nice foliage. The pool was lovely and deceptively bigger than I thought. The slide was great fun for all. We had 3 generations of our family going on it.

Feedback on the kids club was that it was a little repetitive most days, but that the staff were lovely.

I liked that restaurant/ communal areas - they were nice and modern with outdoor sofa areas where you could eat breakfast too. The breakfast was reasonably good with the normal buffet choice. The Asian choice looked lovely. The staff at breakfast were lovely.

The location was great. You just literally walked across the road through a small park which was lit up with lanterns in the trees so it felt very safe. As you come through the park you head straight down onto the beach where there are loads of restaurants and bars. There's your usual bamboo style Thai restaurants, then there's a few more upmarket/Ibiza chill out vibe ones. I really liked Surin as it had a good mixture of paces to eat and drink. My favourite restaurant was Pla Seafood. it was a bit more upmarket, the setting was amazing, the music very chill out ibiza style, and the food good. i also liked Taste too, they served fabulous fish tacos. The best cocktails were at Mr Tans. 99 baht at happy hour!

The beach was lovely and the water too. My only criticism would be the amount of sun beds they've crammed onto the beach.

The gym was pretty good. We used that a lot.

I wouldn't recommend the wine in the hotel. It was very expensive and poor. We got some from the supermarket nearby instead.

The staff in the hotel were lovely, friendly and helpfull.

So overall, this wouldn't normally have been my choice of hotel as I don't have kids, and I normally stay in slightly more upmarket hotels. However I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at this hotel, it had a lovely feeling about it and would definately recommend it. But note to management: the rooms do really need a refurb. They're just looking a bit tired.

2  Thank sweetpeakirk
Simon M, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort., responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Sweetpeakirk

thank you for your extensive review of the Resort after your recent stay.

Overall I was pleased to see we met your expectations from a value for money perception and that you enjoyed the service and facilities on offer.

As a relatively new member of the Hilton family, we are certainly focused on the upkeep of the product and such, issues including painting will be undertaken as time permits.

Thank you again for your input.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

This was our first visit in Phuket. Hotell was very good for family traveling. There is nice kids club with very friendly staff. You can leave 5 years and older child there for a little time. You can also have babysitting for the children if yuo need. Pool area was great with the slides. Pool massage could be better. They talk together during the massage and it wasn't so relaxing.... Gym was good too, exept a most of the running carpet didn't work as they should. Rooms were ok. Bathrooms needs a little bit fixing. Breakfast were very good as it used to be in Thailand. We liked to be there. Thank you Doubletree surin beach.

4  Thank heli k

Dear Heli

thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your stay and found that the child care and babysitting facilities met your needs.

As much as your comments were positive, and acknowledging our need to focus on the bathroom upkeep, was there any other points we could improve on when considering your rating? I look forward to hearing from you at simon.mcgrath@hilton.com

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I have stopped writing reviews for a while, cause I thought was very little value-add in my reviews in recent years. however, I felt that it was important to set everyone's expectations right before they book.

Our friends are getting married on the weekend of 26 Jan, so we booked 4 nights for 2 couples -> 2 double rooms through booking.com 3 months ahead, emailed a day ahead to request that our rooms next to each other.

Check in: staff insisted that breakfast was not included despite it was stated in our voucher. as we arrive later than our friends, we checked in later: was told to wait for another hour because there was no rooms (at 3pm), then when we said that it was not acceptable, a room in another block was available all of a sudden. the 1st room allocated faced the construction, watching others build was not what we expected on a resort holiday, so we went back the long winding corridors to the reception and told them that we will not stay in such a room. And again, there was another room available immediately (that was at 3:20pm) next to our friends room! It felt as though we had to fight to get our preference, requesting anything once was not enough.

Rooms: the deco and room were tired, but functional and met basic needs. beds were large, shower strong and air conditioning was adequate. the 2 faults of our rooms: cupboard door doesn't close not matter how we try, as a result, the lights in the cupboard is permanently turned on. the black out curtains doesn't close all the way, we will be asking them to fix it on the way out today.

Location: it's on Surin beach, apparently a posh area. Well, not exacltly on the beach, since you have to cross the road to get there. The said beach has many clubs (all inclusive lunch, towel and deckchairs) to meet the needs that is not met by the hotel. plain rental of deckchairs cost about 120bhat a day, all inclusive with nice music comes at a few thousand Bhatt. a trip to patong by car cost 500 Bhatt, we returned via tuk tuk also cost the same. from the airport, it was 700 Bhatt or 400bhat if you can bargain with the meter taxi drivers in thai like our friend did.

Pool: full of children and family, we snuck to either the Twin Palms pool or the beach mostly.

Breakfast spread: so breakfast was included after all, and the did not even ask for our room number when we sat down, surprise! settling table needed to be explained patiently 3x to the staff, and when butter or other food run out, we have to tell the staff and was told with a stern face where it should be. we smiled and told them that it ran out after walking with them to the spread, only to be told to stand at the spread to wait after the staff disappeared to the kitchen for a minute. my husband kept reminding me that its a 4 star, and I think I tend to expect better service in Thailand.

wifi: am writing this at the breakfast table since our room has patchy wifi. apparently the wifi only is available at the pool, breakie and reception area. we were lucky we had a room close to the pool, so some wifi was possible. but I recall that I booked this hotel for its wifi connection. or maybe I am just frustrated since check in with the service.

hope this helps with making decision to book.
if I have to stay on Surin for another wedding, I will probably stay here again, with adjusted expectations. the staff generally don't look happy, management is nowhere to be seen and we are painfully aware of that.
but with the plentiful choices of Phuket, I rather go another less crowded beach/resort like Indigo Blue (went last Jun, similar pricing, tired looking as well, service was less trying, large rooms with less winding corridors and 3 large quiet pools). no doubt, this place is great for families with children with the endless list of amenities, so it's really up to ur needs.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank loulou_in_uk
Simon M, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort., responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear Lou Lou

thank you for taking the time to complete a review during your recent stay at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Phuket - Surin Beach.

I note your frustration at requesting rooms near to one another at the time that you booked. With the Resort being completely full at this time of the year, we will certainly do every thing possible to meet all such requests, but to meet your requirements upon check in given the 24 hour arrival and departure patterns of guests is why we do not guarantee such requests. Regardless, please accept my apologies and I am glad to see we eventually di meet your request.

Secondly, I am little at a loss as to your comment on rooms facing a construction zone? There is no major construction taking place in the vicinity of the Resort.

The Resort is marketed toward families and at this time of the year, there are many families staying with us during the holiday season. The great part about the resort is its close proximity to the beach which provides options as you note.

Your perception of the management not being visible may be skewed by the fact that our management team is Thai, with myself as the only foreigner. I met a number of other guests in the party attending the wedding and I am sorry I did not meet you so we could have gone over your concerns face to face.

I am glad you suggest you would return and I a confident a number of the minor service issues you highlight will have been corrected.

Thank you again for completing a reveiw and please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations in all areas.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We spent 11 nights at the Hilton and overall were impressed with the staff friendliness and willingness to help, facilities offered and cleanliness of the hotel. It's in a great position in Surin Beach, just across the park from the beach and beachfront cafes and restaurants. My only disappointment is with the room we booked. I specifically searched for a room to accommodate 2 adults and 2 older children, 17 & 12, and specifically booked for this. The two double room option seemed ok and I proceeded to complete the booking. On arrival I was told this room only accommodated 3 people, but they would allow all 4 of us to stay in existing bedding. The beds are SMALL - around the size of a king single. We managed, however, it was disappointing as it was very cramped and not at all what I expected. Do not book this option if you have older children! We were offered an upgraded room at a price - an additional $1000AUD to what we had paid.

Dear Hendo

thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Phuket - Surin Beach after your recent stay.

I was thrilled to read that you found our team helpful and engaging during your stay and that generally our services and facilities met or exceeded your expectations.

The beds in our twin rooms are two standard double beds by international standards, but I agree they are possibly not well suited to two teenage children. I am looking into how we represent this on-line.

The upgrade cost you noted that was quoted of AUD100 per day is indicative of high season pricing and may seem expensive given the very heavily discounted "early bird" rate you had secured last year.

Thank you again for you input, which will be put to good use.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Background: Swedish/Norwegian family traveling together (3 generations). Myself, my two children aged 17 and 6 years old and my 77 year old father.

Status: Hilton Honors Gold

Experience: Great from beginning to end. The manager Simon McGrath seems very involved in operations down to clearing plates at breakfast and this shows throughout the resort. Staff is extermely helpful and service oriented. Breakfast buffet has a lot of variety. My children enjoyed the wrap around pool with slides so much it was hard to drag them to the beach. We got upgraded to a Suite with exit to the garden/pool area which made it easy to run from the room to the pool. The gym was better than average for a hotel gym.

Location: Surin Beach is a nice area of Phuket (we have previously visited Nai Yang, Kamala and Bang Tao and this area has good restaurants to offer and a nice beach (the waves might be tough for toddlers). No hotels are on the water front, The Doubletree is a 3 minute walk from the hotel, something I thought would be a hassle but proved to be no big deal.

Things that impressed: Reservation manager Supanan Suwandee called us at our hotel that we stayed previous to our arrival to ask if we needed assistance with transportation and what floor we preferred for our rooms. This year we have stayed at Hilton and Conrad properties and I have to say that this property was a much better value and better service than the Conrad property that we paid significantly more for.

Conclusion: We will be back as we visit Thailand annually and we will recommend the resort to others.

Room Tip: Room 1117 was a great suite with acces out to pool.
2  Thank tsfoxen
Simon M, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort., responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Traveler 73

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on the Resort after your recent visit. It was also a pleasure to meet you, if only briefly at this busy time!

I am glad you enjoyed the Resort, its facilities and the surrounding area. It is certainly a great environment and we believe we have an outstanding location.

Thank you also for your kind comments on our team and their commitment to service delivery.

We look forward to welcoming to the Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

We had booked two one-bed apartments hoping for joining rooms (unable to specify on our booking engine). Upon arrival, this turned out to be not possible, but we were rapidly installed in a a one-bed + joining double room - which was perfect for our needs. The check in staff were attentive and efficient and we ended up with a fantastic location on the ground floor opening out onto the pool. Rooms are very spacious, clean and well appointed. Resort is also well appointed, with all facilities you would expect at this mid-range, albeit lacking in a "thai" essence (but seems to be par for the course in Thailand, with most places going for euro-familiar architecture and ambience). Nearby the beach is good for swimming, with several alternatives for food etc (plus the obligatory tailors that seem to occupy every second shop in this country).
Would recommend the location for families - pool, beach, facilities all here, plus it is a safe haven and relatively quiet area.

Room Tip: For children having the ground floor access to pool is great, didn't see major disadvantages in...
1  Thank Shane C
Simon M, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort., responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Dear Shane

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Resort after your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to see the team reacted quickly to provide accommodation solution for you that got your holiday off to a good start. The Terrace suites are certainly great for families wanting to make the most of the pool.

Thank you for your kind words relating to the Team. Even as a relatively new addition to the Hilton family, the Doubletree Care culture is something the team are committed to upholding.

Thank you again and hope to see you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Thale
Swissotel Resort Phuket Kamala Beach
Angsana Laguna Phuket
Angsana Laguna Phuket
#9 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort.

Address: 106/27, Moo 3 | Surin Beach, Choeng Thale, Phuket 83110, Thailand (Formerly DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach)
Region: Thailand > Phuket > Thalang District > Choeng Thale
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#11 Spa Hotel in Choeng Thale
#12 On the Beach Hotel in Choeng Thale
#14 Luxury Hotel in Choeng Thale
#15 Romantic Hotel in Choeng Thale
#15 Family Hotel in Choeng Thale
Price Range: £51 - £236 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort. 4*
Just steps from the crystal waters and white sands of Surin Beach, the Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort offers the perfect retreat. Contemporary comfort, a warm welcome and a cool welcome drink on arrival helps make your stay stress-free. Located just 30 minutes drive from Phuket International Airport and 25 minutes from the nightlife and shopping of Patong, you can really make the most of your time in one of Thailand's premier beach resorts. Stay connected from your deluxe room or suite at this resort-style hotel in Phuket thanks to high-speed internet access. Relax in front of the flat-screen TV as you watch a movie, or unwind on your private balcony or terrace. The white sands of Surin Beach are just a short stroll away as is the popular Catch Beach Club. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, ACCOR, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Courtyard Phuket At Surin Beach Hotel 1234587