“Terrible restaurant”

Cuisines: Mexican, Thai
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Staff was nowhere to be found, after a while i found them sitting inside a bar playing with Facebook or something, every time i needed something i had to go get it myself, food tasted old as well

Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

overpriced, not very delicious, surly staff. about the worst value i have ever experienced. the thai food is dumbed down (much better at literally 1/10 the price close by), the mexican food just isn't good and the portions are small. the staff were the least friendly thais i have ever encountered. will not be back though i just bought a house in phuket! maybe one day i'll open my own mexican restaurant to show them how it's done. avoid at all costs!!!

1  Thank MaikKubo
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

The place itself is well decorated and vety convenient if you come with kids. You can find a nice atmosphere like you are back in nursery. However this atmosphete does not fit with the Mexican food.
The service is good, with smiling staff.

However, the food is not what you can expect from Mexican food. It is more kind of Mexican food adapted to the Thai tongue. I have to say I was quite disappointed as I believe you can find much better at cheaper price.

For all those reasons that I have mixed feelings.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We went to Gitano's twice during our stay - the first time my wife and I loved our selection of yellow chicken curry, pineapple rice and chicken with lime mayonnaise. My wife was fond of her lemon and honey soda, the watermelon/mint/ginger juice was less pleasant. The kids both had the cheese quesadillas with fries - but neither enjoyed it. Despite this, our daughter wanted to go back a second time, probably due more to the playroom and decor. This time they went for the kids fried rice and fried noodles - for some reason the noodles came after our starters and main course were serve. The fried rice portion was minuscule, which our son ate in a couple of spoons (we gave him half of our chicken fried rice to fill him up). We didn't enjoy the Phad Thai on our second visit. One thing this restaurant does need to sort out is the ventilation - the first time round our clothes smelled when we got back to our villa. The second time, we all coughed when we first arrived as the fumes from the kitchen were overpowering.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I have been to Gitano's 7 times and have eaten there 5 times. 2 times I have sat myself at a table and was ignored by the staff for over 10 minutes so I left. I keep coming back because I sometimes get a craving for Mexican food and Gitano's is actually pretty decent. Please do not not get your hopes up and compare this place to your favorite place back home. You will be disappointed. BUT it you live in the area and have a craving for some tacos or a fajita you can get you fix here. They also serve Thai food here and I thought that was pretty tasty too.

They have a play area for kids so very child friendly and lots of magazines and newspapers if you are traveling alone.

1  Thank JimboH_Thailand