Dusit Thani was a truly amazing hotel in the Laguna area of Phuket. It is located right on the quiet Bang Tao Beach with direct access to the Andaman Sea. There are so many great things about this hotel I am certain I will leave things out.
The decor and ambiance of the hotel were full of Thai culture. The staff were all very warm and friendly and always had a smile. You feel more like a family than a guest of a hotel.
Rooms - The rooms are very nice. My wife and stayed in the Ocean-View Deluxe room. Physically, the room may seem small on paper, but there are strategically placed mirrors that really open up the room and make you feel comfortable. I believe all of the rooms have an Ocean View, which is a nice way to wake up in the morning. The only complaint I had was that the comfort of the beds felt a little cheap compared to the overall quality of the hotel.
Food - The food was amazing. We ate at 4 of the Restaurants: Ruen Thai, Laguna Cafe, Pool Cafe, and Cassu...(the one on the beach!). Laguna Cafe has very good international food selection, the best overall I have had in terms of combined quality and variety. Ruen Thai had amazing Thai Food, the green curry with Prawns were the best. The Pool Cafe had a good selection of sandwiches, salads, and pizzas. The pizza was spectacular, some of the best I've ever had.
Pool - Salt Water Pool! It was a nice pool too, perfect temperature. The size of the pool seems a bit smaller in person, but it's never over-crowded. There are always plenty of chairs by the pool too. Friendly staff and towel services. There are also water aerobics in the morning that a decent number of guest participated in. It looked pretty fun, but my wife and I would go running on the beach instead.
Spa - Yes! The spa is probably a bit on the higher end for what you would think of in Thailand. But they were running a 30% off deal for guests. (~3,500 THB - 30% = ~2,500 THB OR $75 USD) for a 90 minute massage. 90 minutes is actual massage time, with about another 30-45 minutes of getting tea, them prepping you for the massage, etc. All-in-all it's a little over 2 hours of nice, relaxing spa time. Deep Tissue was the best massage I've received.
You could get a beach massage by the locals for 500 THB per hour, but there was a very noticeable difference. The beach massage ladies would talk on cell phones, chew tobacco, and not give a great massage...cheap but not good. Highly recommend the hotel spa over the beach massage stalls.
Activities - The concierge has a variety of offerings as well. We only did the local elephant ride, which was a cool experience for low cost. They had more expensive elephant safaris, but they were a half-day minimum trip. The also offer smaller, privatized tours to Pha Nga Bay and Phi Phi islands. There is a bit of a premium on price, but 18 persons maximum. We did not go, but just an FYI if you're looking for a smaller tour. Many other packages as well including SCUBA and Mui Thai Boxing.
Shopping - Not so great. The hotel spa had a small gift shop of nice artifacts, but the selection was limited. Dusit Thani is part of the larger Laguna Phuket complex. If you like what is at the spa gift shop, I recommend going to the Banyan Tree resort in the Laguna complex. You can get there by the free shuttle (~5 min trip) or by the free ferry (~30 minute trip). The ferry ride is really nice because it takes you through the lagoons, then you transfer at the Angsana hotel and can view that. Then you board another ferry to get to Banyan Tree. Both hotels are very nice and worth viewing. The Banyan Tree has two very large gift shops with a large selection of clothing, home decor, jewelry, and more.
Shopping (more) - There are also the Canal Village shopping district about a 2 minute walk from Dusit Thani. We went here to get money from the ATM and were practically jumped on by people trying to sell some holiday package/time-share for Laguna. It was very obtrusive and by far my most negative experience at Laguna. As a result we left and didn't check out the shopping. On one of our shuttle trip, a family was dropped off at the Canal Villages and before they could even get off the shuttle they were approached by people selling this holiday package. I know they are just doing their jobs, but when the customer says they are not interested, they should be instructed to leave you alone. NOTE: If you are interested in spending 90 minutes to learn about a time-share, you'll get to pick from a variety of packages worth about 6,000 THB ($200 USD each).
Korb kun kraup! (spelling is probably wrong :P)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A truly striking beachfront location resort with excellent facilities and gracious Thai hospitality, add up to a unique holiday retreat. Unwind in a sanctuary of tranquility, shaded by natural casuarinas and coconut palm trees. Offering low rise buildings in classic neo-colonial architectural features underpinned by modern Thai designs. Gentle breezes waft through the vaulted ceilings of the open-air lobby, carrying the sound of breaking waves from our adjacent beach. Located 20 km or a 30-minute drive south of Phuket International Airport, half an hour north of Patong Beach and half an hour east of Phuket city. Provides complimentary shuttle boat and buses to nearby hotels within Laguna Beach offering a up to 25 bars, restaurants and entertainment within minutes. With a variety of rooms, suites and villas to choose from you can be pampered on the tropical island of Phuket or as some others might say - The pearl of the Andaman Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Expedia, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Hotel Thalang
- Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Cherngtalay
- Dusit Laguna Phuket
- Dusit Phuket
- Phuket Dusit
- Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Thailand