“Amazing Hotel on the quiet Bang Tao Beach of Laguna Phuket”

Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Dusit Thani was a truly amazing hotel in the Laguna area of Phuket. It is located right on the quiet Bang Tao Beach with direct access to the Andaman Sea. There are so many great things about this hotel I am certain I will leave things out.

The decor and ambiance of the hotel were full of Thai culture. The staff were all very warm and friendly and always had a smile. You feel more like a family than a guest of a hotel.

Rooms - The rooms are very nice. My wife and stayed in the Ocean-View Deluxe room. Physically, the room may seem small on paper, but there are strategically placed mirrors that really open up the room and make you feel comfortable. I believe all of the rooms have an Ocean View, which is a nice way to wake up in the morning. The only complaint I had was that the comfort of the beds felt a little cheap compared to the overall quality of the hotel.

Food - The food was amazing. We ate at 4 of the Restaurants: Ruen Thai, Laguna Cafe, Pool Cafe, and Cassu...(the one on the beach!). Laguna Cafe has very good international food selection, the best overall I have had in terms of combined quality and variety. Ruen Thai had amazing Thai Food, the green curry with Prawns were the best. The Pool Cafe had a good selection of sandwiches, salads, and pizzas. The pizza was spectacular, some of the best I've ever had.

Pool - Salt Water Pool! It was a nice pool too, perfect temperature. The size of the pool seems a bit smaller in person, but it's never over-crowded. There are always plenty of chairs by the pool too. Friendly staff and towel services. There are also water aerobics in the morning that a decent number of guest participated in. It looked pretty fun, but my wife and I would go running on the beach instead.

Spa - Yes! The spa is probably a bit on the higher end for what you would think of in Thailand. But they were running a 30% off deal for guests. (~3,500 THB - 30% = ~2,500 THB OR $75 USD) for a 90 minute massage. 90 minutes is actual massage time, with about another 30-45 minutes of getting tea, them prepping you for the massage, etc. All-in-all it's a little over 2 hours of nice, relaxing spa time. Deep Tissue was the best massage I've received.

You could get a beach massage by the locals for 500 THB per hour, but there was a very noticeable difference. The beach massage ladies would talk on cell phones, chew tobacco, and not give a great massage...cheap but not good. Highly recommend the hotel spa over the beach massage stalls.

Activities - The concierge has a variety of offerings as well. We only did the local elephant ride, which was a cool experience for low cost. They had more expensive elephant safaris, but they were a half-day minimum trip. The also offer smaller, privatized tours to Pha Nga Bay and Phi Phi islands. There is a bit of a premium on price, but 18 persons maximum. We did not go, but just an FYI if you're looking for a smaller tour. Many other packages as well including SCUBA and Mui Thai Boxing.

Shopping - Not so great. The hotel spa had a small gift shop of nice artifacts, but the selection was limited. Dusit Thani is part of the larger Laguna Phuket complex. If you like what is at the spa gift shop, I recommend going to the Banyan Tree resort in the Laguna complex. You can get there by the free shuttle (~5 min trip) or by the free ferry (~30 minute trip). The ferry ride is really nice because it takes you through the lagoons, then you transfer at the Angsana hotel and can view that. Then you board another ferry to get to Banyan Tree. Both hotels are very nice and worth viewing. The Banyan Tree has two very large gift shops with a large selection of clothing, home decor, jewelry, and more.

Shopping (more) - There are also the Canal Village shopping district about a 2 minute walk from Dusit Thani. We went here to get money from the ATM and were practically jumped on by people trying to sell some holiday package/time-share for Laguna. It was very obtrusive and by far my most negative experience at Laguna. As a result we left and didn't check out the shopping. On one of our shuttle trip, a family was dropped off at the Canal Villages and before they could even get off the shuttle they were approached by people selling this holiday package. I know they are just doing their jobs, but when the customer says they are not interested, they should be instructed to leave you alone. NOTE: If you are interested in spending 90 minutes to learn about a time-share, you'll get to pick from a variety of packages worth about 6,000 THB ($200 USD each).

Korb kun kraup! (spelling is probably wrong :P)

Room Tip: 2nd Floor avoids having to take many stair/elevators. There are only 3 floors on the hotel, and all...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
DTLPthailand, General Manager at Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Ben D,

Thank you very much for choosing Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket for your recent holiday and for taking the time to review your experience.

I am particularly happy to read of your entire satisfaction throughout your stay, I have shared your positive comment with the team, we are grateful for the recognition you gave. At Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket, we are always eager on providing a genuine Thai hospitality to all our guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back the soonest possible.

There are newer reviews for Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Although we did not stay at Dusit Thani, we chose to dine there to celebrate my wifes birthday. The function team could not have been more helpful as they guided us through the many options for a special meal. We chose to dine on the beach within a bamboo tressle, decorated and lit. ( see photos) A dedicated waiter served our chosen menu and drinks, it was a very special occasion for us, and made all the more by the staff and service. We enjoyed a lunch in the air conditioned restaurant earlier in the week, the service and attention to detail was faultless.

Dear Jzenithb,

May I thank you to choose our beach to celebrate your wife recent birthday.

I am delighted to hear that this has been a memorable experience.

I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back this time may be for a stay with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had a super holiday at Dusit Thani. The staff is excellent- in all the 5 days we were there, the courtesy and service was exemplary. Dinner at both the Italian and the Thai restaurants was outstanding. Rates as one of the best places we have stayed at.m

Room Tip: Go all out and splurge on the pool villas... It's sheer luxury.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Dusit Worldwide Co. Ltd

Dear Zephyr602,

We were delighted to be the host for the holidays you recently spent at Dusit Laguna Phuket and appreciate the feedback you wrote on you experience.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back the soonest possible for another fantastic Trip

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our wedding in Dusit Thani in Phuket was an incredible and unforgettable experience!!
My husband and I have travelled a lot and stayed in many hotels around the world but Dusit is by far the most romantic place we could have chosen for our wedding!
We were impressed and enchanted by the beauty of the place, the relaxing atmosphere and the excellent service.
Our wedding coordinator - Fern had a very positive and polite attitude, was fully engaged and responsive to all our wedding requests. She was always present and ensured our wedding experience was as smooth and stress-free as possible. We can't thank her enough.
We had the ceremony in La Trattoria and the reception at Casuarina Restaurant by the beach.
After the ceremony we had a photo shoot with a baby elephant and released butterflies. Then we planted a 'love tree' (which we will definitely see again on our first anniversary!). After the dinner we released sky lanterns which was perfectly organised again by Fern. We continued the night dancing and having a wonderful time. Everyone loved it! And for us - we can't imagine a more romantic experience!

Dear Aneta D,

May I thank you for staying at Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket and for posting you review.

I am particularly happy to read of your entire satisfaction throughout your stay, I have shared your positive comment with the team, we are grateful for the recognition you gave. At Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket, we are always eager to organize perfect weddings.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to, for your 1st anniversary wishing you a lot of happiness.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2014

If you're looking for an homogenized, expertly orchestrated, luxurious five-star experience you won't go wrong at the Dusit. It is a truly lovely resort.

This Dusit appears to be a big draw for families. There are a bunch of kids running around, which wasn't a bad thing, but something you should be aware of when booking. The grounds were gorgeous and the beach was perfect. The food was good, but not great. The beds were heavenly, rooms immaculate, and everything overpriced. You get exactly what you expect from a high-end beach resort.

2  Thank Chad H

Dear Chad H,

Your feedback is of a paramount importance to us and also a very good way to measure our performance and focus on the areas for improvement. Constant emphases on improving our food quality and offering value have become one of our daily priorities.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to, for another Very Nice stay with us.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have recently enjoyed another return to the Dusit Hotel at Phuket, again I brought my family up from Australia and other from the UK, both I and my wife I have been a frequent visitor over the last twenty years, also bringing my family here five times. we have travelled widely throughout the Far East and visited many countries, none of them have I wished to return to except this one.

The service and attention we all receive has always been excellent and helpful, I will continue to return as long as health will permit me

Room Tip: The two Villas my family occupied were excellent throughout, clean, well furnished and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Dusit Worldwide Co. Ltd
1  Thank Cedric Paul G

Dear Cedric Paul G ,

We were delighted to be the host for the holidays you recently spent at Dusit Laguna Phuket and appreciate the feedback you wrote on experience.

We very much value the loyalty of our returning guests and we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back again at the time of your next holidays.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We came here for our honeymoon. We came back 10 years later for 2 weeks for our wedding anniversary.

Plus points:
-Very friendly and helpful staff. We didn’t come across a single unhelpful one. Even the grounds staff say good morning and give you a smile.
-Fantastic breakfast. So much choice! No good for the waistline...
-Nice room with aircon, balcony and a good safe (thankfully just about fitted my 13” Macbook pro laptop).
-Good free wifi in room and public areas.
-Free fruit and bottles of drinking water daily.
-Free kayaks (good for kayaking around the lagoons).
-Our son loved the kids club. Note that isn’t really set up for leaving your kids all day though.
-Great pool.
-Very nice beach.
-Pleasant on-shore breeze most of time, which makes the heat more pleasant and seems to keep the mossies at bay.
-Beautiful and immaculate grounds.
-The restaurants at the hotel are very good.
-There were various events (some paid, some free) for Songkran and Easter.
-There are a few traders on the beach, but they aren’t at all pushy.
-The hotel was at full occupancy at least part of the time we were there, but it never felt crowded.
-The staff are very effecient. My wife say a tree fall down in the grounds. It was gone the next time we looked.

Minus points (mostly minor):
-Food and drink is expensive at the hotel for Thailand (about UK prices), but that is to be expected for a 5-star hotel. A small Singha beer is 180 BHT and a cocktail is 250 BHT. But you can walk 5 minutes down the beach to find cheaper places. There are also various happy hours with 50% off drinks at the various hotel bars.
-We had to pay 380 BHT extra per day for our 7-year old to have breakfast. That is a bit expensive given that he doesn’t eat much more than a bowl of cereal and a slice of toast.
-There is officially no lifeguard at the pool. So we felt we had to personally supervise our son the whole time he was in the pool. However we did see the pool staff save an Asian lady who got into difficulties in the deep end (2.0m). I’m not sure what happened, but they threw a ring to her before we even realized she was in difficulties. And we were only a few metres away. So they are obviously keeping an eye out.
-We had fireworks being let off outside our room at around 10pm on 3 separate nights. Not great when your child is asleep. Not sure if that was anything to do with the hotel.
-There were huge brown beetles everywhere while were there. One even landed on my neck. Not a problem for us at all and apparently they only last a few weeks. But don’t go in April if you are beetle-phobic!
-Our son was disappointed that the pool tables always seems to be covered over for various functions. He never got to play a game.
-We came into the room once to find the floor dangerously wet and the cleaners access card (presumably with access to all rooms) left in the slot. Don’t know what happened there. Otherwise the room was kept very clean.
-The last time we stayed you could use the facilities of the other Laguna hotels. But now there is an insanely high price pass if you want to do this.
-The TV in our room was rather temperamental.

There is a good mix of nationalities staying at the hotel. Mostly Europeans and quite a few Russians, as far as I could tell. Generally the other guests were considerate and well behaved (apart from the German couple talking loudly outside our room at midnight, who were punished with the site of an irate middle-aged Englishman in his underwear).

The Laguna isn’t close to the touristy parts of the island. We saw that as a plus, but it might be a negative for others.

Overall, I would say that the positives strongly outweigh the negatives. We had a great time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AndyBInWiltshire

Dear AndyBInWiltshire,

Your feedback is of a paramount importance to us and also a very good way to measure our performance and focus on the areas for improvement. Constant emphasis on improving the Minus points listed above has become one of our daily priorities.

I hope you will consider coming back to our resort in the not too distant future and should it be the case, thank you to let me know as we would like this stay to be a perfect one.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Thale
#2 of 328 in Patong
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket? Share your experiences!