“Family friendly resort with great pool”

Angsana Laguna Phuket
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Choeng Thale
San Francisco, California
“Family friendly resort with great pool”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The manager of the hotel sent my husband a birthday card, cake and candles after I called the concierge to make dinner reservations and mentioned it was my husband's birthday. What a lovely thing to do! I've never had a hotel send a cake and card to my room!

The breakfast is fantastic and has the best cappuccinos. They are better than in the US and I don't know why. You have to ask for one in the morning, or you will get the coffee.

The resort is spotless. There are a lot of employees and they are always working. This is a family resort. It has a fantastic meandering swimming pool that loops around the property as well as a private beach.

It's perfect for families.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Jerry J, General Manager at Angsana Laguna Phuket, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear SFJane10,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the cake on your husband’s birthday, and hope you had an enjoyable dining experience to celebrate the same.

Khun Zam, who recently graduated from a barista training workshop in Bangkok under guidance from Illy, and his colleagues at Market Place indeed prepare a delicious Illy latte and cappuccino, and I am pleased to read that these were much to your liking.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Jerry John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Very good experience in Angsana Laguna with my family! My son loved the pool very much, espesially swimming in the pool through the whole hotel. The rowboat can be rent for free. That's wonderful! We rent the boat for two times. Besides, the shttle boat is very convenience for guests go between the hotels in the resort, especailly to the Canal Village. And also, we all love the elephant Lucky. He's so cute and friendly!

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear Sophia Z,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at our resort.

We are glad to learn that you had an enjoyable Phuket family holiday, and hope to see you return in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My family (3kids ages 15,14 &5) are staying here. We have a two bedroom suite. It is perfect for our needs. Two bedrooms with a living area and mini kitchen. The weather hasn't been great so having TV's with DVD player has been useful during downpours. However, our bedrooms and bathroom are old and tired and could do with updating. The a/c in the bedroom is quite noisy. The grounds of the hotel and Lagoon are beautiful and very well kept. The staff are very nice. We have loved the free cocktails on an evening that our package included.;) make sure you venture down the beach on an evening to the restaurants that are very cheap and excellent Thai food. Most restaurants provide a pick up service if you can't be bothered to walk. Just ask at reception and they will call them.

Dear camelrider68,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to read how much you and your family enjoyed your stay in our two-bedroom Angsana Suite, and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We recently returned from a 10 night stay in this hotel, myself my husband and our 11 year old son, firstly I have to say that the Thai people are the friendliest most polite I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and the staff at the Angsana are no exception. From the moment we entered the hotel until the day we left, they just could not do enough to help and assist us.

We stayed in a standard room with a king bed and a single bed for my son, the room was quite big, the beds very comfortable and the bathroom was well equipped with shampoo conditioner etc.
The AC and internet all worked very well in the room so no complaints there.

Breakfast is served from 6:30 until 11:00am so even when we had a lie in (due to jetlag) we still made breakfast. Buffet style with everything you could possibly want, even if thats a chicken ceasar salad or fried rice, do try the strawberry frozen yogurt its delicious.

The pool is great in the hotel, its quiet at this time of year so plenty of sunbeds and very relaxing, it is low season so the sun does go down about 6:00pm and it gets dark soon after that.
There are a number of places to eat in the hotel but all are expensive, so keep this in mind even when you swim up to the pool bar and order a drink its about €6.00 for a small beer.
The best find of our holiday was a restaurant called LOTUS, walk along the beach for a few minutes and you will stumble upon this place, it doesnt look much but when you go in and order you will not be disappointed, we went back here almost every night after our initial find.
The hotel is quiet at night so you can get a taxi into the local town, its about 5 mins away and costs €2.50 each way, it has a supermarket, a couple of shops and a few restaurants, we went to Flame and I would recommend it, the town is good if you want a change of scene.
We also ventured into Patong for one night, we headed in early and did a bit of shopping, then went for dinner, its a good trip to experience the hussle and bussle of a busy Thai town, be prepared for getting harassed by stall owners but all are polite and willing to haggle, not a whole lot to buy here to be honest but its an experience so I would recommend it, it costs €20 each way and takes about 30 mins.
We also did a few tours, first was Phi Phi Islands, we booked with the agents near reception in the hotel, I have to say this was the hi-light of the holiday for me, im not a great swimmer so quite was anxious but the trip had only 14 guests on board with 3 crew members, we pulled up to a few different islands, went swimming (with life jackets) and then went snorkelling and had a packed lunch on an island called Bamboo Island the crew were fantastic and managed to relax even the most amateur of swimmers, the beaches were amazing and i would say if you travel to this part of the the world, do not miss out on thip trip, you wont be disappointed.
We also did a Tour Of The Island booked through the hotel again, we were the only 3 guests on the trip so had our own driver and guide, they brought us to a number of Temples, a walk through a local market, and had a traditional Thai lunch, it lasted 4 hours and was a great trip, would also highly recommend.
To sum up, a great hotel with amazing staff but the downside is that it is quite expensive to eat and drink in the hotel and be aware if you like a beer, there is no draught here so you will be drinking the local beer in bottles!

Dear DACork,

Thank you for taking the time to write in such detail about your recent visit to Angsana Laguna Phuket.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, the breakfast variety at Market Place, our 323 metre free form pool and - most of all - the genuine Thai hostility of our staff.

It was also nice to learn that you enjoyed your two excursions with Laguna Tours.

The feedback with regards to your dining experiences has been shared with the team, though I wish to inform you that we do serve Singha draught beer at Poolside restaurant.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Angsana Hotels and Resorts in Phuket is one of my greatest experiences during my honey-moon ...
Very cooperative and friendly staff, very convenient location and wonderful atmosphere.
The variety of the food in every meal is substantial and the pools/beach is wonderful ... modern designs yet capturing the Thai- culture.

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Angsana Laguna Phuket as the destination to celebrate your honeymoon.

I was pleased to read that you had a memorable time with us, and hope to see you return soon.

Wishing you all the best for the years ahead,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The good: some of the staff were lovely. Very attentive and helpful. Our room was in the lagoon wing. It was quiet enough whilst we were there ( low season). Room was nice and big, plenty of room for the extra bed. Comfortable bedding. Breakfast at the market place was average. It wasn't particularly busy whilst we were there, but plates were not cleared, and we had to ask for water at the juice station. We enjoyed having a drink in the bar and listening to the jazz band which starts at 9 pm. I'm just glad wee weren't staying in the rooms nearby! Free Internet in the room seems to work quite well, which pleased our son.

The not so good: the " tours desk" near the marketplace restaurant is actually a sales desk for the time share Laguna is trying to sell. Be wary if they offer you free tours. The real tour desk is near reception. The beach was closed for swimming, which apparently is quite normal in the low season. Don't go expecting to spend time at the beach at this time of the year. The pools near the pool bar were full of families using every kind of flotation device imaginable. However the pool closer to the beach, which was quieter,
has a minimum charge if you want to sit there. I recommend the pool near the grill restaurant.

There was no milk in the fridge. In a 5 star resort, I don't expect to have to use powdered creamer in my tea! Yuk!

The bad: the bikes are not free and are probably as old as the resort. They are overdue for an upgrade. The lagoon is smelly in places. The whole place has a bit of a tired air ( I am referring to the whole Laguna complex of resorts). The air con in the room was too cold, no matter what temperature we set it at.

The ugly: the young elephant " Lucky". I felt very conflicted about the resort owning a baby elephant when its mother is in Chang Mai. Initially I thought this elephant just visited the angsana but then I discovered he gets taken to other resorts too. Twice a day. does he get exhausted and stressed? Does anyone care? The guests love him, especially the kids. He seemed either genuinely sweet, friendly and gentle, or just very well trained. I couldn't help but like him, but I was very concerned for hs welfare, and wonder what will become of him, as he will very soon be too big for this work. The resort has recently been raided by authorities, I have just discovered, with regards to the dubious legality of its baby elephants. The keeper was certainly not keen to answer questions about how and why a young elephant was living without its family.

If the resort genuinely has the best interests of its elephants at heart, it would actively use them to educate guests rather than merely entertain them. At present, there is no information about the resort elephants provided to guests, other than the visit times. The resort will continue to attract criticism for its old fashioned use of these animals, when it could choose to be a leader in educational and humane elephant tourism.

3 Thank melscottmax
Dear melscottmax,

Thank you for taking the time to write in such detail about your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, the live music of the Bluroom Jazzband, as well as the convenience of having complimentary WiFi.

Your feedback regarding the tours desk near Market Place and the condition of bicycles has been shared with the respective teams for further investigation. Reviews such as yours form an integral part of our service and product evaluation process, and help us to identify areas for improvement.

I appreciate your concerns regarding Lucky, our baby elephant, though I wish to assure you that its welfare is our utmost priority and an integral part of our corporate CSR initatives. By housing Lucky and the 3 other elephants in Laguna, and by involving them in our tourism activities, we offer a good alternative to city-based scenarios, where elephants can be seen performing tricks for money. The Elephant Camp in Laguna has been inspected and approved by Dr. Richard Lair, chief adviser to the Thai Elephant Conservation Center. Furthermore, I am pleased to inform you that we are currently designing an elephant pavilion as part of our educational program that is designed to promote understanding of elephants’ history and natural habitat to our younger guests, and hope to be able to share the same during a future visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

we arrived to escape the haze in Singapore and were pleasantly surprised with the hotel. Eatery thing from the pool , breakfast and in particular the kids club lived upto expectations..my daughter loved the baby elephant lucky and just did not want to leave the kids club. She was fond of all the activities in the club and the staff and could even order her own lunch..Amazing..She thinks 4-8 year olds will have a great time there..

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Jerry J, General Manager at Angsana Laguna Phuket, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear raj m,

Thank you for choosing Angsana Laguna Phuket as your island getaway destination.

I was pleased to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and that especially your daughter had a memorable time at our Tree House Kids Club.

In addition to our unique offering of “Kids eat, stay and play for free”, we are soon introducing healthy kids bento boxes, which we hope to be able to share with you during a future visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Thale
Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 34 in Choeng Thale

Been to Angsana Laguna Phuket? Share your experiences!