We just returned from our 4-night stay at the Angsana Laguna Phuket over Christmas. We had a great "Get your 4th night free" package. First off, I just want to say the resort is a very nice option to stay with the family and if you have young children (we have a 2.5 yr old). But don't expect luxury for the food, rooms, and service.
First the not-so-good. In a luxury hotel, we really expect the front desk to be welcoming and friendly during check-in and check out. This did not happen at Angsana. Maybe it was the hectic Christmas season but it is a hotel service person's job to be especially friendly when families are on holiday. It took us nearly 45 minutes to check-in because the hotel had our reservation under a different email address. How they attached our reservation to a random email address, I have no clue! I really believe it may have taken longer if my husband did not keep approaching the desk to ask what was going on. The was no welcoming staff with drinks or bracelets upon arrival like we have received at other luxury hotels. At check-in, we were told we could check-out after 3PM since our flight was so late. Then when we called on the last day just to confirm because we had made some off-resort trip plans, the front desk refused. Only after 10 min of back and forth with my husband did they finally oblige. Please keep your word!
The rooms were OK. Nice and spacious but furniture was dated. We had chipped wood on several places on black furniture which made the damage obvious. We could hear our upstairs neighbors walking/running and moving furniture because of the tiled floors in the Laguna rooms. Our AC didn't work and we had to call the front desk twice for someone take a look at it. Though, it finally started reaching temp the room always felt wet (and so did our sheets).
The breakfast buffet at the Marketplace was pretty bad. We had just come from the JW Marriott where the buffet selection is much bigger and ingredients looked more fresh. I found dirt in the salad on the my first morning and was forever grossed out by the food. Service felt like it was uninterested being there and we would have to request for children's plasticware every day.
Though the sandy pool is a lot of fun I think they need more staff at the cafe to man this area. The chairs and table were left with previous patrons' dishes and towels. We didn't see anyone cleaning up during the busy afternoon.
Lastly, for a luxury hotel, we expect a bit of exclusivity. We didn't feel this at Angsana. The resort is also part-vacation-home-ownership, which we didn't realize when we booked. When groups are larger because of this, you lose that exclusive feeling.
Now the good about Angsana. It is an expansive resort with a nice kids club and playground and of course the beautiful swimming pool. The baby elephant that comes to visit twice a day is a hit. We loved the direct access to Bao Tang beach and the the close proximity to a string of really nice beach restaurants. Angsana did a wonderful job with the Christmas program by providing a delicious Christmas Eve dinner at the Bodega Grill restaurant (the staff there was great!) and a Christmas service and Santa with presents for all the children on Christmas Day.
The service at the hotel was a mixed bag. We were very happy with the concierge service. They helped us book an Elephant ride one afternoon, as well as a car and driver for half-day so we could visit the amazing Tiger Kingdom about 40 min away. Our last day, we weren't scheduled to fly out until 7 PM, and the concierge provided us a car and driver to take us to the Nai Yang beach for an hour before our flight. (Tip: The taxi broker on-site was going to charge us load more to do this. Angsana cars are nice and include water and moist cool towels!)
"Thank you" to the TV technician who came to our room to help us view pictures we had taken at Tiger Kingdom on the TV. He switched our DVD player out with a Blue-Ray and gave us an HDMI cable to use so we can look at our pictures in HiDef!
All in all a lovely stay and a nice Christmas vacation. However, there are SO many other resorts in Phuket, we would definitely want to try something else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm tropical sun, pristine white sand beaches and a shimmering blue sea. Angsana Laguna Phuket has it all. Play golf, snorkel, island hop, or bask on the beach, this is the ideal resort to spend a restful beach vacation, romantic rendezvous or a fun-filled family holiday. Angsana Laguna Phuket is the flagship establishment of the Angsana Hotels and Resorts - managed by luxury hospitality brand, the Banyan Tree Group. The resort features 401 immaculately decorated guest rooms, lofts, suites and private villa residences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Expedia, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Angsana Laguna Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angsana Laguna Phuket Hotel Thalang
- Sheraton Hotel Cherngtalay
- Sheraton Resort Cherngtalay
- Sheraton Phuket
- Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket
- Phuket Sheraton
- Angsana Laguna Phuket Thailand