“Good hotel but...”

Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We only stayed for one night before our flight back to the UK and we were impressed by the hotel, its facilities and its location on the beach. However, as another reviewer has commented, there seemed a complete imbalance in the diversity of hotel guests which we always think is essential to create the desired atmosphere in any hotel. We can only assume that the hotel is closely affiliated to a Russian tour company and they provide the vast majority of guests to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rimbola

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed with a group of friends and young adult / teen children and have absolutely nothing negative to report. I arrived sick,with a fever so we were taken immediately to the room to complete check in. An upgrade and sparkling wine because we'd stayed before (years ago) was a nice surprise. There was staff everywhere, and all paused to say Sawasdee Ka/Krup every time we passed, so don't understand the understaffed comments. No idea what nationality the other guests were - either seated at dinner or by the pool there was enough space around us all to be unaware! Breakfast was just brilliant, catering to so many cultures and preferences - best Bircher Muesli ever, tiny cinnamon pastries, smoked fish - and even century eggs. Linger in lounge comfort over breakfast for at least an hour! Best Pizza and other Western menu options we had in two weeks - and great wine.
Beach view rooms even better than they were - the markets haven't gone but have been relocated to the left of the pool, in new buildings. So now the tables associated with the pool bar are dotted on the lawn, in the shade. A place like this can give the impression that ones desires can be met immediately, as if by magic, so I think it can bring out the 'princess' in anyone, but there are still real people doing so much hard work behind the scenes to make it appear effortless.
Bags still need to be carried, processes followed, forms filled out and food prepared - but for us, we thought it was just perfect.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed there for three night with my parents, my wife and my 1 year old son, in sea front rooms.
Honestly speaking, the sea view in my room is not as wonderful as the other two hotels I spent in Phuket during the holiday. The room is not exciting but decent, like a standard 5 -star hotel.
The hotel is in the middle of a lake and the seashore.
The kids activity area is nice and well organized. My little son had spent a wonderful time there.
Oh, my boy loves the baby elephant in the hotel, though a bit scared.
Anyway, it is a great place for family, but for honeymoon it is not very recommended.
One more thing, my mom said that the hotel spa is great.
No mosquitoes, and I had a sound sleep!

Room Tip: I would say, the resort itself is more attractive than the room. And if I would come again, I would...
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We arrived in the hotel the 8th of january, and made the reservation true Olotels.com. This worked well, and we sent a notice true Olotels to the hotel that we was honeymooners. We also got the confirmation that hte message was sent to the hotel.

What we was met with when we arrived, was that the staff asked about to see the confirmation of the booking before I even left the Taxi. I has never experienced to be met like something like that.
The check in process was unstructuriced, and when we finally got the room after around 30 min, we got a room with twin beds.
This was a very nice start on our honeymoon.

This hotel miss management, all from the breakfast to the beachbar/restaurant. When I have to go and take the menu and water after been waiting in 15 min, is not normal for a 5 star hotel.

It seems like the Russian touristcompanies have control over most of the rooms in the hotel, and I feel like 3/4 of all the guest ar from Russia. Its only one thing to say, dissapointing, expecially that this is a famous American hotel chain and it should be possible to diversify the booking a little better.

Today, the power was totally gone in between 30 and 60 min, with the result of bad waterquality, etc.
It is normal for larger hotels to have backup solutions, but not in Laguna Outrigger.

We have still 7 days to stay, and if I had the chance, I would like to move to another hotel as soon as possible. It is so many nice hotels in Phuket, and it feels so waisted to use a week in this place.

After all, it is some positive thing as well.
The location on the beach are perfect, with a nice clean beach. The housekeeping is working, etc.

It so sad to see that all this is ruined by this mess.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dag Henrik M
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Dag Henrik M,

Thank-You for choosing the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort.
I was so sorry to read that your stay with us has got off to such a poor start and can offer no excuse for the poor service you have received so far which is very disappointing.
I understand my colleague Aey has met with you to arrange a room move and deliver the honeymoon amenities which you should have received upon arrival. If there is anything else I can do to make your stay more comfortable, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at any time.
I am again sorry that we have delivered such a poor first impression and do hope the rest of your stay will be a relaxing and enjoyable one.

With best regards
Tony Pedroni

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Having stayed at 3 other resorts in Phuket, this one ranks as the poorest experience - not because of the facilities, but mainly due to the staff and service.

I booked a group of 40 guests here for my wedding (I stayed here for 1 night), and overall the feedback was subpar. Our guests stayed at 3 different places, and this was the only one that received poor feedback.

Key areas where this hotel is lacking:

-Service/Staff: Maybe it's because this hotel is so large, but it was very difficult to get a hold of the front desk and housekeeping on the phone. When I was trying to get a toothbrush sent to my room, I ended up having to walk the 5-7 minutes to the front desk (again this is a large hotel) to request one, since calling for 10 minutes didn't get me anyone on line. Other guests had similar comments - not being able to connect through to the front desk at all (e.g. nobody picking up the phone).

-Honesty/Transparency: When taking taxi's booked through this hotel, compared to others, the Outrigger's taxi prices were all around 75% higher than the two other resorts our guests were staying at (If I recall 700 one way THB at Outrigger vs. 400 THB one way for the destinations I was ferrying to). By the end of my trip, I was booking taxi's through a different hotel, and sending them to the Outrigger to bring people back and forth. I asked why their prices were higher, and was told that this was the standard rate.

Second, and I'm not sure if this is a safety policy of some sort, I booked multiple 8 person buses through the hotel to bring guests back and forth to the hotel. I was told that buses were maxed out at 8 people, so I had to split two groups of 10 into additional cars for airport pickup. When the bus arrived, there was way more than enough room to fit 10 people.

No complaints about the facilities. All up-to-date and modern with a great breakfast. But the service and attentiveness left a bad impression.

3  Thank jochi59
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We arrived late at night and check in was quick after a welcome drink. The reception area already makes you feel you on holiday. Breakfast was plentiful but too much pork around-- or at least separate it from the other foods. 1 min walk to beach and pools. Nice having a water slide to keep kids entertained.
Concierge was very helpful although it is quite expensive getting to Patong beach (150 Bh ). The tour desk was also helpful but I'm sure if you have the time you could get the same tours cheaper.
The massage place on the beach was good and cheap.

1  Thank miles28
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Hi guys! One more report from Asia. Now its Outrigger Laguna Phuket. Less then one year after renovaron. New friendly staff. Really fine food. Small but very convinient swimming pool. Good well-equipped Gym. Good and useful kidclubs. Small but normal quality rooms - we was 2 adults 2 kids in the family rooom. Small but not stressed. Long beach with different restaraunts and watersports. Just 2 step from hotel you have fantastic local restaraunt on the beach. That's it. Approved and strongly recommended.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
#10 of 36 in Choeng Thale
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!