“Winner's Choice!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Winner's Choice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We brought our family to stay here as we all had particpated in the 9th Laguna Phuket International Marathon.
It was ideal as the start/finish line was just outside the gates.

However there are only 2 reasons why this place is not earning full marks - (1) the pillows are limp and not nice and fluffy and (2) the water pressure in the shower is slightly lacking.

Otherwise, top marks for scenery, location, facilities, aesthetic and even the pina coladas!
Our rooms - we stayed at the Lagoon wing on the ground floor were lovely and very easy to either hop on the water taxi or the reception or even restaurant and pool. They were cleaned, well maintained and 5 star quality towels, linens and haridryer.

Service was also on par - our room service was rather quick. We were attended to as promptly as possible at the pool and beach (although another pair or so of waiters would be better) and requests were met immediately. The transport service is also very efficient whether it is from the hotel or public taxi.

Our kids used the tennis courts which were very well maintained.
Breakfast is rather ordinary but whatever plates they serve were tasty.

Definitely a place that we will come back to!

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor if youd like to enjoy the verandah that spreads to the grounds. The Lagoon...
1 Thank RosieRoses

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is my second time staying here, mainly for it's location.A twenty minute drive from the airport, it sits right on the beach in the Laguna area. I originally came here with a group for a football tour, however this time I returned with my mum as I was taking part in the Phuket International Marathon. Situated right beside the start line, I couldn't have asked for a better location.

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted, and were told we could check into our room in the next hour (it was only 10am) which was a pleasant surprise. We were also upgraded to a Club Room, perhaps due to it being low season which was also an unexpected surprise.

The rest of the day was then spent chilling by the beach, where you have the option of the beach or the pool or both. The pool is quite sizeable and suitable for both adults and children with a smaller child-friendly pool and a fun water slide.

There is a lovely pool/beach-side bar which is lovely to sit by at night with a cocktail in hand.

The rooms themselves are great; large and spacious with a huge double bed. The bathrooms are amazing with a sunken bath. There's also a day-bed in the corner for reclining on and good for an afternoon nap!

Although the language barrier with staff at times proved somewhat problematic, the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful and every member of staff greets you when you walk past.

I would happily return if or when I go back to Phuket and would certainly recommend it. A quiet area, however lovely location and fantastic, new resort.

Room Tip: Sea room is obviously by the sea and waves can be fairly loud, but lovely to wake upto. Rooms overlo...
3 Thank cartwheels44
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear cartwheels44,
Many thanks for choosing to return to the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort for a second time. It was great to read you had an enjoyable stay and I hope you enjoyed the atmosphere of the Phuket International Marathon.
Thank-you very much for sharing your feedback. We are delighted that you would happily return to the resort in future and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Phuket soon. (Perhaps for the Triathlon?)
Until then many thanks again and best regards
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is one of the most beautifully located hotel I have stayed in. We stayed in a Premium Sea Front room (got upgraded from a Sea View), and the proximity to the sea was just amazing. First of all though, you have to realize that the whole Laguna area is a resort complex, away from Phuket main, so if you are looking for vibrant night life, this is not your location. But for a relaxing vacation by the beach, this place is heavenly. Rooms are beautiful, food is great, you can chill by the beach or the pool for a long time, the whole experience is just amazing. The sea front rooms are a bit of a walk from the reception, but once there you can go to the beach in literally 2 minutes. The balconies open up to the sea and you can feel the wind and hear the waves. Please see attached the view from my balcony. However, the staff service is a bit random. There were periods when we kept calling reception for 10 minutes straight without them answering. We had to change rooms one day and the staff was giving us attitude despite taking forever to ready the other room. However, some other staff were quite nice and courteous. Hence I wouldn't call service terrible, but just random and unpredictable. The TV channels also were weirdly poor in picture quality, even HBO and NatGeo were quite grainy. Dunno if this is in all of Phuket but I don't think so. Regarding Laguna, they provide shuttle to other resorts in the area, with some nice restaurants. Outrigger itself has a beautiful pool and tennis facilities and gym, and decent restaurants. Overall, for a youngsters' vacation, I wouldn't recommend this, but for a couples' retreat, I would highly recommend as one of the best locations you can get.

Room Tip: Sea view is excellent.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mei A
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and I came for the Phuket marathon and stayed for 4 days. Hotel-wise, it's great. Nice rooms, great views, and overall a good place to chill with its various lounge spots, either at the cafe or the pool. Service was generally good. However, we encountered bad service on our 2nd last day, particularly in the Locavore restaurant. Not everyone mind you, but 2 ladies working during the morning shift on 9 June (we were here from 1030-1130am). One of them who took our breakfast orders had a very can't-be-bothered attitude. Got our order wrong and wanted to argue with us as well. Until I proved to her that what I had ordered was not what she served me. Another incident was the young lady who worked at the bar. I asked her for serviettes and without looking up, she told me to get it from the table. Guess what? There were no serviettes at the table. They looked like they really didn't want to work here and serve customers. This experience was enough to mar an otherwise great trip so far.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TJYeoh
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear TJYeoh,
Many thanks for choosing the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort as your hotel of choice for the Laguna Phuket International Marathon. I hope you enjoyed the race.
I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the poor service you received at breakfast on June 9th. While mistakes can happen, it is certainly disappointing to read that we gave you the impression that we were disinterested. I genuinely believe given the majority of comments and reviews on this site and others that the poor breakfast service delivered on this day was not the norm, but I will certainly try to understand why this happened as we normally pride ourselves in delivering friendly and caring guest service and we would not want your experience to be repeated.
I would like to again apologize for this and do hope that otherwise you had an enjoyable trip to Phuket
With very best regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The overall stay was great. There are staffs greeting us and helped us to check in into our rooms without queueing and with minimum waiting time. The staff bring us to our room was friendly and served us with smiles. However, our stay was spoilt by the service in the hotel restaurant during breakfast over a tiny bottle of jam. Specifically the waitress name is Pinky. I took the tiny bottle of jam over the service table not realizing that the table has the flavour that I wanted. I was told, rudely, that it's available on the table. I told Pinky that the table does not have the flavour that I wanted. She purposely came over to our table to show me that I was wrong. Is the jam not for guest to consume? Guest are not allowed to consume more than one tiny bottle of jam? it's ruin my appetite for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 0eS_Tee0
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The only problem here is that this hotel is great for couples who want a romantic time together (not if you want to party all night) and great for families. The problem is that the two are often mutually exclusive in their needs and behaviour. Because I was here in a very quiet period (during the 10pm curfew) the problem never arose but I expect when full it would be difficult. On check in I was offered an upgrade to slighly larger Club room with benefits (food and drink) for 1300 baht a night. I took it. The Club section was quiet and the service very good. For the Club upgrade fee you get drinks all day, sandwiches etc from 2-5.pm, alcoholic drinks from 6-7.30pm and a tasking menu to go with the alcohol (some guests made this into dinner I noticed). The rooms was large and well appointed, the pools were all very good, the beach was OK but water too rough to swim and the breakfast looked good. We actually had breakfast in the Club where it is properly seved and costs no more if youve already upgraded. There are tennis and badminton courts, bikes for hire and all sorts of thngs to do. You are however a little isolated here. Its an expensive night out in Patong - but then Patong is best avoided. There is a massage near the beach at 300 baht an hour and a little row of shops next to that - this I think to allow the locals to participate in corporate Thailand so well done local Government. The restaurants on te beach are good but the locals are charging quite high prices themselves. You can get fresh fish at the "Tom Yam Goong" restaurant which is the first one you'll see on the beach and some quite good Indian food at the next one along (just in case you are English and feeling homesick). No negatives at all really.

Room Tip: They charge much more for a sea view so beware
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael P
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Michael P,
Thank-You for choosing the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort for your recent holiday. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and would like to thank-you for highlighting the resort facilities including the benefits and service you received as part of our club room package.
I would certainly agree that Patong is not for everyone, which is why I believe the Laguna resort area with its great access to Bangthao Beach, wide selection of restaurants and amenites and close proximity to the airport is such a great option for families and couples alike.

I would like to thank-you for taking the time to share your feedback and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the future

With very best regards

Subang Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have just returned from Phuket. Our 2 nights stay at Outrigger Laguna was awesome. We have room with direct access to the pool and beach. The room was comfortably spacious, clean with lovely furnishing. Perfect for family as the hotel has activities cater for all ages. My young girl loves Candy, the elephant that comes by every morning @ 9am and afternoon @ 3pm. The pool was large with great slides which my teenage son enjoyed very much. Breakfast was good with sumptuous spread.

The whole resort was luxury and clean and I just love the lemongrass fragrance that 'greeted' us at the lobby !! The check-in was quick and the staff were friendly and helpful. Every staff that we meet will definitely greet us with smiles.The hotel location is quite far but that is not a problem to us as we have a hired car.

We can't wait to be back again to Outrigger Laguna.....hopefully by year-end.

Room Tip: Get a room with direct access to the pool and beach.
Dear stefwong88,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and for highlighting the resort facilities, room quality, breakfast, and staff service you received. It was great to read that you had an enjoyable family holiday.
I was delighted to read also that you plan to return to our resort at the end of the year and do look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon
Thank-you again and very best regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Thale
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,001 reviews
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!