Ayara Hilltops Resort and Spa Surin Beach
Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$109
Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort.(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$73
  • Pool
Angsana Laguna Phuket(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$127
Agoda.com
The Surin Phuket(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$210
Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$119
The Chava Resort(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$412
US$392
Agoda.com
Best Western Premier Bangtao Beach Resort & Spa(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$117
  • Breakfast included
The Pavilions Phuket(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$165
Anantara Layan Phuket Resort(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$170
Trip.com
Trisara(Choeng Thale)
US$1,176
All reviewsbuggy serviceoutdoor showercourtyard suiteroad noisespice restaurantjean pierreour honeymoonwater featuresbuggy driverslarge bathroompoolside restaurantandaman seaturn down servicelate checkrelaxing staydvd playerdeck chairs
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Last year March was my first trip overseas and decided on Phuket with my boyfriend and another couple. We wanted to split our time between two areas and spent a lot of time researching different hotels…after spending the first part of the trip in Kuta, we wanted somewhere a bit more quieter, classier and secluded so we chose Surin. After looking into the number of 5 star hotels in this area and within out budget we decided on Ayara Hilltop Resort and Spa and were so happy with our choice!

We arrived in the afternoon from Kuta, in 40 degrees + heat, and it felt like we had walked into a cool, luxury spa - greeted with cold towels and fruity cool drinks. Checking in was easy and were offered special packages for the spa if we were to use it within 48 hours of arriving as it was targeted at people who have been travelling and want to wine down.

Once we were taken to our rooms, we were amazed at the view and the rooms being nestled between the hills. We were a little high up in the junior suite so had to take a buggy up and down to our room, but throughout our whole stay there was always one there or within 5 min, no matter the time of day or night. We had lunch and cocktails the afternoon we arrived, which was so delicious. Also buffet breakfast every day and another meal or two over the period we were there which couldn’t be faulted. We then ventured out to Surin area - which was a fantastic change from Kuta.

We still managed to do water sports on the beach while staying in Surin (just not as hectic as with Kuta), we were able to rent a scooter from the hotel and felt safer riding it around the area - but also ended up taking a ride with the scooter to Kuta which didn’t take very long although we got lost on the way there. My partner and I took advantage of the really cheap offer the next day - a couple of hours of massages and pampering was amazing in a air conditioned room.

Felt so much better than getting cheap, hot and sticky massages on the beach. Although loved the fact the hotel had beach club access, which we certainly took up while tanning on Surin beach.

We also took advantage of the pool and cocktails at times and free wifi in roomand also used the assistance of staff to book into the last few tours we wanted to do before our trip came to an end. Surin is beautiful place, with restaurants right on the beach, lit up by candles at night, and walking distance from the hotel. So many places to choose from…which then some of the more popular ones turn into lively bars some nights for a more classier night out with music and drinks compared to full on night clubs in Kuta. The staff at Ayara went above and beyond for us - so polite and wanted to help us out for whatever we wanted. We felt extremely spoilt and only wished we could have stayed longer. Even at the last minute when we we repacking up to leave, I had broken my leggage lock and and was quite stressed about this, but they helped me find a store on the way to the airport so I oculd get a new one in time. Our friends stayed at a more expensive room than us, but we were still walking distance which was great. They enjoyed a private 4 course dinner by candle lit I their room one night which they said was amazing. We also got our laundry done while there and the service was excellent and fast - despite us making it a little difficult for them. We were surprised by the nightly ‘pull own service’ - didn’t realise this was a custom in Thailand but thought it ws very sweet them doing this every night and leaving chocolates and cookies for us. We even ordered thai dessert to the room one night which was very tasty. All in all a absolutely fantastic stay and would definitely stay again, oly shame we were out and about a lot of the time and would have been nice if we could have spent more time in the room. We had a junior suite which was beautiful but may pay the extra money next time to upgrade to an even bigger suite.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lauren D
Reviewed 9 August 2014

But the Ayara did not provide the true 5 star experience we were lead to believe we would receive. Let me first say that my wife and I have travelled quite a bit and have stayed at various hotels, B&Bs, and mega resorts. I normally don't write reviews, but after our lack luster experience at this hotel and seeing the continual 5 star remarks, I wanted to paint a more realistic picture. We visited this hotel in mid-July, which I understand is the low season, as part of our 3 week vacation in Thailand. The Ayara was our last hotel before coming home. There wasn't a certain "encounter" that dimmed our experience, but it was no where near the equivalent to the other 4-5 star hotels we had been staying in in Thailand. I will highlight pros and cons below:

Pros:
Beautiful room- Very well furnished with a nice mixture of Thai and modern decor. The bed is the biggest I've ever seen (I'm 6ft and laid across with my arms up and barely covered its width) and the outdoor shower is a nice touch. The outdoor area is also really cool but with a few flaws (see cons below).

Beach club access-They provide daily transportation to either Bimi Beach Club or Catch Beach Club. These are probably the two best restaurants that provide beach front dining, ambiance, and music. When you present your hotel card, they provide big pillows and towels for you to lay on the beach. This was the best part of our visit to Surin Beach.

Breakfat- A very good spread. Plenty of options and a good mix of western and Thai food. I really liked that they made you eggs, any style, not just an omelette.

Pool-Really nice decor.

Cons:
Major Road noise/view- The fact that they call themselves a "Hilltops" resort can be a little misleading. I'm sure the rooms on the very top half of the resort feel more secluded, but there is a good portion of the hotel that is barely up the hill. Should be more like Ayara Foothills resort. The property is directly next to a major thoroughfare with loud noise from the cars, motor bikes, and trucks. The property's pool is also right next to the road. Although they planted some high bushes, it doesn't take away from the honking and engines sounds you hear. Also, the terrace outside the room is essentially just as close. If you're lucky enough to not see the actual road and electrical poles (which also make noise), you will certainly hear it. There goes trying to lay out on your loungers and relaxing, unless you have headphones and music, which you shouldn't have to do at a 5 star resort.

Bed- Big but not necessarily comfortable. Hard in some areas and sinking in others. This is a preference thing and some people may not complain but for us, we found that as each night passed, our backs ached more and more.

Terrible Wifi- Especially in the rooms. Very difficult getting connected and staying connected. And good luck attempting any sort of video communication with your family back home.

Apathetic Staff- This was our BIGGEST issue. Everyone seemed to be smiling but no one was really warm and service oriented. Maybe coming from Chiang Mai we were a little spoiled but we genuinely did not feel welcomed. One morning, the houskeeping staff came to our room to clean. We told her that we would be leaving in a few minutes. Mind you, there is no actual lock on the door to your terrace. She stood by the door with an attitude, and did not even greet, smile, or anything, as we exited our room. I'm not sure what her problem was but it was just rude. Each night as we returned to our room we had to open the sliding glass door (which is your only locked entry) in the dark. We realized the next morning that there was actually a light out on the terrace. Each evening there is turn-down service so how something like that can go amiss, I'm not sure, but at least when we told them, they fixed it. Probably the only thing they remediated. It was borderline eery when we were out by the pool in the evening (but still within their open hours), and two wait staff were standing around looking at us. I understand it's low season. I understand they want to give the message that they are "here to help" but that does not mean that you essentially loiter around with a flat affect. We felt like we were being monitored, which we probably were. I brought down vitamin water in my water bottle previously and the waiter didn't hesitate to ask me what was in my drink. Had their been more people at the property, maybe things would've felt different. But there weren't. And it just felt weird.

No management skills-The staff's attempt at handling any kind of complaint or suggestion is a mere smile and saying "sorry about that." Even if they did actually try to resolve something, if it didn't end up being resolved, there was absolutely no recourse (case in point, the wifi). From the moment we checked in, they said they gave us an upgrade, which was great!, however, we said we wanted a quiet room, no matter the "view." We were placed very close to the road noise and when we mentioned that we are light sleepers and hoped we would not be awoken all we got were head nods, a smile, and "I understand sir." All this despite the fact that we had literally just checked in and could've easily been moved to another room. The kicker was on our final day when we informed the hotel supervisor (never had access to a manager) of our continued disappointment. Again, more apologies but nothing else. No other kind of offer that would've made us feel heard and validated. We had given them so many chances and ample opportunity to address our concerns. We did not just hold it all in till the very end and not give them a chance to remediate. This review should not come as a surprise.

So all in all, is the property beautiful? Yes. Is it close to the beach? Yes. But do the pros outweigh the cons? No way. I would not stay at this hotel if I return to Phuket. For the money, I'm sure one could find a hotel that allows you to get away from it all. Ayara Hilltops is not that hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chrisrholloway
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A+++ hotel in Phuket , pure luxury and class ! Service , food , view , room and most important location are all fabulous and class apart. Big big big rooms with both covered and open shower area and not to miss on the little jacuzzi attached to the room. Away from the hustle bustle of the crowded bangle road , stay here if u r willing to njoy the beauty of the sea from the top of the hill. The resorted is nicely crafted on a hill and u can walk yourself down to the beach in a matter of 4 to 5 mins sounds amazing. Unlike other hotels in thailand where people dont understand english and dont know what service is , Ayara is a real jewel ! Staff is amazing and real helpfull. Taxi to airport will cost around 1000 bhatt from the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are good , however go with the one facing the sea and the hill , its amazing !
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank atul289
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed 8 nights and it was one of the most relaxing holidays we have experienced. The accommodation, facilities, meals were fantastic. However, the resort staff really made the difference. They were friendly, helpful and had a great understanding for service, providing whatever you needed, without being in your face.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived the service was faultless. The resort is like being in a dream. We stayed in a courtyard room halfway up the hill and had magnificent 180 degree views of the ocean. The day spa provides relaxing massages in a 5 star environment. Attention to detail is excellent in every respect. The beach is so close and the catch beach club and Bimi beach club are a fab place to have a drink and watch the sunset while listening to some chilled music. We were so pleased with our choice of resort.

Stayed: July 2014