“Afternoon tea highly recommended”
Review of The Broomsquire

The Broomsquire
and 1 more site!
The Broomsquire
Ranked #5 of 6 Tadley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have had afternoon tea here on two occasions, one of which included a party of 20, and the service and quality has been consistently high. The atmosphere is warm, informal and friendly and the selection of cakes and sandwiches is wonderful. We've had some very expensive afternoon teas over the years, but have found the Broomsquire's simple but delicious selection by far the best and certainly excellent value. A lot of attention is paid to detail, with mix and match floral crockery, flowers and candles on the tables and the staff were attentive without making you feel uncomfortable. We would recommend this venue for anyone planning an afternoon tea, for an intimate occasion for two or for a large family gathering.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Belinda L

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and i had afternoon tea in this delightful hotel. The service was fantastic and the value for money was very good. The food was really lovely and presented to us on cake stands and tea pots which was inkeeping with the ambience of the Tea Room.

Beautiful - will come again.

Room Tip: Afternoon Tea for two totally recommended
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sally-Anne P
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here for the saturday night. Initial thoughts were positive as we walked through the main door and the room was clean and well presented, along with good service during the evening. However, what was extremely disppointing was the distinct lack of wine stocked.This meant we had to keep changing wine choices,which isn't encouraging for a hotel/restatuarant. The food in the restaurant was average, but not overpriced though. The fact that the bar closes at 10pm means it shouldn't be classed as a hotel but more a b&b. Last but no means least, was the breakfast that was simply woeful. It consisted of one piece of streaky bacon,one sausage, one mushroom, half a mushy tomato, one soggy egg and a spoonful of beans. Only white slice bread was available and the tea tasted like it had been mixed with some sort of disinfectant! Bed and breakfast was overpriced for what it is...a b&b. Suffice to say we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a family member's wedding in 2012 and it was good enough for what we paid.
This time however, it was truly terrible. We stayed on a Wednesday night, which we thought would be quiet enough for a small town like Tadley, but the hotel was quite full so had to stay in a large ensuite that was far too overpriced. The bedroom was big but the bed was small in comparison and not particularly comfy. The windows faced the main road, but there was not much traffic so that was not too noisy. But the other walls were far too thin and we could hear somebody snoring in the room, either next door, or above us. The light in the corridor shone through a window above the door and kept us awake most of the night. Eventually I discovered it could be switched off so did this at 3am, only for it to be turned back on at 6am when somebody was using the corridor. We ordered breakfast for 8:30am, arrived on time, waited to be served, and ordered our breakfasts. The sausages were disgusting and my partner turned them back only to be told they were "a game flavoured sausage, cooked fresh by the chef last night" ... !!! No offer of apology was given nor for something else and this all took place in the empty dining area (which had a big cobweb in the corner of the ceiling). Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't get room 4!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Steve T
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Such a lovely hotel....Thought and effort has been put into every aspect of this hotel. I'd love to return.
Our room had lots of character (open brickwork and fireplace), was very comfortable and very very clean. Everything from carpet, bedding and towels were fresh & great quality.
Quiet location and comfy bed.
The staff really made our stay as nothing was too much trouble.
Reasonably priced pub food.
Great value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Having needed somewhere pretty much last minute, I chose the Broomsquire on the internet description & reviews here on tripadvisor. I wasn't disappointed. Warm welcome when we arrived from the young lady covering reception. Shown the room, exposed brickwork & room overlooking the back garden. Extremely clean, and characteristic. Wooden bureau desk complete with complimentary water and welcome details. The en-suite was clean and had a stand in shower, perhaps the owners could think about changing the shower curtain for a glass showerscreen as it's pretty 80s and unhygenic. The chimney breast was lovely in the room but it was annoying as it rained heavily & a metal tray had been placed on the floor and was collecting raindrops like chinese water torture! On the whole though, the decor and cleanliness was excellent. Cooked breakfast was delicious and the same lady (blonde funky hair) who welcomed us the night before cooked and served it with great hospitality. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it as a place to stay but, please sort out that metal tray!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I spend a lot of time in hotels, as a general rule I don't stay in small hotels because they are too hit and miss but there was something about this one that suggested it was worth a shot. Most definitely glad I went for it and will most definitely stay there again, in fact I am just about to book it again. Which leads me onto the other reason I nearly missed out on staying in this hotel, I can't find an on-line booking form - granted when I booked by phone someone answered quickly and, to be honest, it was probably quicker than booking on-line - but it just misses that convenience factor. However, don't be put off by that, you'll be missing out on a great hotel.

So onto the hotel. First thing worth mentioning is that the pictures on the website really do accurately reflect the hotel, the rooms are spotlessly clean and extremely well maintained. No expense has been spared on the furnishings, there are some really great pieces of furniture in the rooms. I have only stayed in one room so far so cannot comment on all rooms, but mine was lovely and spacious, comfy double bed, plenty of light. The level of detail and thought gone into the rooms is fantastic, on closer inspection I found a DVD player built into the TV and there is wifi available throughout the hotel. To be honest the only thing I can find to fault it is that it could have done with a shelf in the bathroom to put my wash bag and a full size ironing board would have been nice.

I ate at the hotel, dinner and breakfast, both were lovely, there is a restaurant area downstairs and the food is certainly restaurant standard. The breakfast was freshly made to order with good quality ingredients.

There is a bar area downstairs too and a large outside garden area with plenty of seating. There is a free car park area next door to the hotel.

It is a small hotel (7 rooms I believe), the staff are some of the most friendly welcoming staff I've come across at any hotel, they just seemed to pre-empt you wanting anything, and really made you feel a welcome guest.

This really is one of very few hotels I would highly recommend and one that I will certainly be staying at again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bob w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tadley
Apollo Hotel Basingstoke
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer
Good Night Inns Berkshire Arms Hotel
Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa

Been to The Broomsquire? Share your experiences!