Bungalow Raya Resort
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Saturdays Residence(Phuket Town)
    Great 4.5/5
    All reviewsday trippersamazing locationcleaned every daybahthill
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 3 May 2013

Me and my husband went to this resort. in that time, we decided to stay 1 nite at Raya Resort. The location was fantastic, that is for sure, no doubt. Beach was such a paradise. I can even swim alone as if it my private billion $ island.

But lets talk bout this resort. So, we checked in, the staff was fine, they gave me room no. 10. It was a bungalow. The room was "so-so" as it is cheap for the price, and that won't be any problem with us. The view from room no 10 was great, straight to the beautiful andaman sea. Then i came back to the receptionist to ask whether i could have in room service (food/drink), and they said, we can not. i didn't ask for the reason until i found out that there are many giant lizards (a bit smaller than komodo). Imagine if you bring food and leave it outside your room, then the lizard might be in front of your bungalow to grab your food.

The worst is, we CAN NOT SLEEP even a minute! I was pillow-chatting with my husband when he heard something in our ceiling. Then about hours later, we saw a YELLOW BLACK SNAKE hanging from the hole at the corner ceiling above our door. Luckily, the snake didn't fall, and got back inside the ceiling.

More nightmare was we had no electricity for about 30 minutes in that night, What a perfect nightmare right? Snake, blackout, no telephone (in case for help). It was also dark outside. At that night, we were the only guest + one Dutch guy (room no.8).

SO, BEWARE OF ROOM NO. 10 in this resort because it's not cockroach or rat, its a SNAKE in the room

CHOOSE room no.8 to stay since the dutch guy(room 8) told me that it has the best view to the beach and andaman sea.

Room Tip: AVOID ROOM NO. 10 => snake in the room CHOOSE ROOM No. 8 => best view to the beach and andaman sea
    • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
    11  Thank Indri N
    Reviewed 2 April 2013

I have stayed at the bungalow raya resort three times now and the staff and management are always so welcoming and friendly it feels as though we are staying with old friends.
    The island is very busy around the main beach area, between 9am and about 3pm, when the day trippers abound, but once they leave, the island takes on a whole different perspective.
    The natural beauty of the place becomes more evident as the sun dips and you enjoy a drink at the bamboo bar on the beach, then make your way around to the restaurant which juts out over the clear waters of the bay.
    The food is deliscious and well priced, the service is great and the bungalows are clean, spacious and very comfortable.
    The front 6 bungalows are positioned magnificently on the edge of the bay with each bungalow enjoying beautiful views of the amazing Andaman sea sunset from a private balcony.

Room Tip: call ahead and book a front bungalow. No aircon but fans. If you want 5 star this isnt the place, but if you like quiet nites and great service in a beautiful paradise, this is it.
    • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
    6  Thank terence m
    Reviewed 24 March 2013

Hello ))

The location is amazing. Best beach I've ever seen. You can swim here independent of tides, you just have to walk 5m longer on that perfect sand, thats all. Snorkel, no, excellent snorkel and free diving - right on the beach or in any other bay on the island.
    However be prepared that from 11am till 3:15pm this bay become something like Maya bay on PhiPhi, I guess 200+ tourists will come for a day trip. Before or after that you know where is your place in this world. There is cool reggae/ska bar and very good massage right on the beach.

Yes, there are dangerous jellyfishes so read up a bit and consider to swim in light suit or use some magical protective cream (Raya Divers sell it in the Divers Village). Keep an eye for a sea snakes, my friend reported two reef sharks.

Resort is on the right wing of the bay, to get to the bungalows you should go almost through toilet - no good. There is no shower on the beach - it's in this toilet upstairs or in your room. There are varangs more than 2m long there, it's funny. And 20+ cats (quiet). And cicadas (incredible loud).

Service - great, staff is helpful and do their best to keep the resort clean, room was cleaned every day, including bed sheets changes.

Rooms - well it's bungalows, don't expect wonders there, personally it was too humid for me. Good quality cotton white sheets would serve much better that colorful thick ones we were provided. Blankets were not cotton but some weird silk or something. All that could not help with humidity in the night.
    There are mosquitos so shut the door tight.

Food was good, I'd recommend to ask for the Asian breakfast (congee rice soup). And they should get rid of these flies of course, it's quite annoying in the morning.

Rooms are cheap but they include compulsory transfer when you make the booking (speed boat + land transfer in the minibus), we didn't use these transfers though.

Overall the island is so good everything else doesn't matter. I really hope there wont be any additional hotels or roads on the island and that people will manage to transfer the garbage from the island, not to collect it in the middle of the island.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
    3  Thank dk_demme_dpoint
    Reviewed 24 January 2013

POOR ON ALL LEVELS: Service/food/restaurant/bungalows and managment!
    Unfriendly staff? Yes, it happens in Thailand too. I am traveling since 2 months in Thailand and I must rate this Resort as the unfriendliest place which I experienced. Not even the food was ok. I was intending to stay long term but I decided to leave that island soons as possible. During daytime thousands of tourist visited the small Island. Close to sunset around 6pm. they left and let behind a lot of trash. Nowbody from the Hotel feels responsable to clean it up.They said: that is a public beach and we do not have the staff to clean the beach. Instatt of cleaning most of the staff was seating around starring in there E-phones. Together with some few other tourist from Europe we cleant every morning and evening the beach from trash.
    It is sad that I have to say: IF YOU CAN STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT AND THAT ISLAND!.

Room Tip: If you can stay away from all rooms.
    • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank Tobias B
    Reviewed 3 January 2013

We have left our guest of our charter to Raya resort for one night. It have been wonderfull for them and also for us. Varang are coming to see you. All room have sea view and nice terrasse. We had a dinner up the sea with fresh fish. just perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business