Coral island is paradise! To us, it was the beach itself, just the sheer natural beauty, that made the location so special.
- The sand was white powder.
- The shoreline had a great variety of ever changing coral/shells for some great coral/shell scavenging.
- There was a constant breeze that kept things cool and plenty of trees for shade.
- The water was warm, salty, buoyant & refreshing.
- The "hotel" beach is just a part of the beach the day-trippers use, but MUCH less crowded and well groomed.
- Some beach vendors in the hotel beach area, but not aggressive or obnoxious.
- Snorkeling was certainly good, though not as good as other areas we have been to. Lots of fish, but not too much variety. The coral is fabulous though! We had pancakes from breakfast to feed the fish which was a lot of fun! We could not figure out why they recommended a lifevest for snorkeling – it’s really not needed.
The sound of the ocean, the sailboats in the distance, the other green lush islands – all of it was just GREAT. All about the swimming & snorkeling. We were constantly in & out of the water. The days just slid by so fast.
Originally we had planned only 2 days, but we could not leave: it was just too beautiful! I booked an additional 3 nights instead. For the 1st two nights we were in a bungalow overlooking the pool. We noted that some oceanfront rooms were unoccupied & asked the front desk if they would give us an upgrade & they did at no extra charge! With the oceanfront room, we were totally hooked! We had an unobstructed view of the ocean from our room 24/7! What a treat!
The hotel staff here were much better than the staff at the 4.5 star we stayed in when we first got to Phuket! We were nice to them and they went out of their way for us! A smile and a little patience goes a LONG way!
The little bungalow rooms are basic and rather dated. Very firm bed, small fridge/mini bar, only 1 bedside table, and an outside sitting area. The oceanfront room was a clear upgrade from our original poolside room. The windows screens enabled us to enjoy the ocean breeze all night. The room décor was also a bit more up to date (though still quite basic) & pleasant including a wall print with a cool back-light that made the scene come to life! The only negatives: (1) shower in BOTH rooms did not have hot water & water pressure was terrible! (2) every day we had to battle ants that invaded everywhere! But what’s that compared to an ocean view? Nothing really! We considered it like upscale camping!
Resort has no electricity for about 6 hours a day (couple hrs in AM/few more in the PM). No inroom TV, internet. Our perspective: who CARES? We were at the beach! The lobby area was the “communal center” with pool table, book “swap” (in MANY languages!), comfortable chairs & couches, and TV & internet access (when there is electricity!). The hotel staff were attentive, helpful & very pleasant.
Buffet breakfast was served oceanfront. Sometimes eggs to order/sometimes not. Omelets cooked to order were great but eat it FAST (breakfast often cold due to the heavy ocean breeze). Fruit was fresh & good and there was always hot coffee & tea. As the week progressed, breakfasts improved. The outside egg station was enhanced with a little grill where ham, bacon, french toast, pancakes were cooked fresh & hot!
The lunch & dinner were significantly better than breakfast. Most nights had both a menu & buffet (differing themes). Meals & drinks were reasonably priced. At lunch & dinner, there was a musician playing a wide variety of pleasant music.
Access is via boat only. We took the speed boat (arranged ahead by the hotel – 1000Baht pp round trip). We had read about some ferry, but could not FIND it & suspect it is no longer running. The easy ride took about 15 minutes. Expect to walk through ankle-calf deep water to get ON the speed boat – That was a HOOT! The guys on the boat handled our luggage door to door.
My husband also tried (and LOVED) the massage service provided by the hotel. A 1 hour Thai massage (400 Baht), under the ocean front pavilion, was the perfect way to conclude a day of swimming & snorkeling. He was a very happy man.
All in all, we found it hard to leave! What a wonderful, relaxing time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coral Island Resort situated 9 km. off the south east coast of Phuket, the island is surrounded by colorful reefs, hence the name Coral Island. Only 15 min. by speedboat from Phuket there is total seclusion in this lovely resort. We have shuttle boat every day from Chalong Pier to Resort and from Resort to Chalong Pier according schedule 3 times per day. For resort customer, accommodation rates include boat transfer on arrival and departure date. There are a total 64 rooms. The rooms are available with four types:- Superior rooms- Deluxe rooms- Beachfront Deluxe rooms- Family roomsAll rooms have air conditioning system, digital safe box, mini bar, coffee table and chairs, hot and cold water, bathroom amenities. Beachfront rooms offers absolutely sea view. Service and Facilities:- Outdoor swimming pool with kid pool- Satellite televisions at lobby- Free Internet access service available in lobby area. - Laundry service- Thai traditional massage and SPA- Shuttle boat service (based on hotels schedule)- Speedboat service- Transfer service- Currency exchange- Tour desk- Russian guest service representative (based on hotels schedule)Dining:- Breakfast is served daily from 07.00 am to 10.00 am- Beach bar- Restaurant serving international food, Italian food, Thai food and fresh seafoodIt is great for family, honeymooner, bird watcher and nature lover. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Easy Market Spa, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Coral Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coral Island Hotel Rawai
- Coral Island Resort Ko He, Thailand - Phuket