The Arc House
Les Hameaux Des Lacs(Monclar-de-Quercy)
TripAdvisor
La Forestiere(Monclar-de-Quercy)
L'hostellerie Des Lacs(Monclar-de-Quercy)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I stayed at the Arc House for two weeks in August with the objective of de-stressing and losing some weight. The couple who run the Arc House, Uzoma and Robert, are an amazing team. Uzoma works with you to exercise and address your stress and attitudes towards food, while Robert prepares the most delicious healthy meals you have ever had. The Arc House itself is a lovely old building situated in a quiet village. They plan outings to the surrounding towns, so you have a chance to do a bit of sightseeing. The exercise was great and tailored to your specific needs. I had a massage and a facial during my stay. The facial ranks among the best I have ever had (the facialist was named Stephanie).
Uzoma and Robert are a caring, inspirational couple who did a perfect job of making me feel at home. I left feeling relaxed and lighter than when I arrived.
To address the comments of an earlier reviewer, I found the linens and toiletries on offer to be just fine. And I am generally a bit of a princess about these sorts of things.
I recommend this experience wholeheartedly and will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: I sprang for the more expensive room - these seem to have a bit more character, with exposed brick walls.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank americantravelgirl
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I should first preface my comments by saying that I normally stay in places at the higher end of the travel spectrum. I wanted to get away from it all and I was impressed by the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. I came to the Arc House during their Fruits of Nature week, which concentrates on touring the local area rather than weight loss or spa treatments, which comprise their usual program.

The food was very good. I enjoyed the intimate group of just a few women. The spa is run by a very pleasant couple. Although this particular week was not focused on eating disorders, I felt that Uzoma had a genuine interest in that area and would likely be very helpful in modifying eating behaviors. The trips to the countryside were fun although I would have probably prefered them to be a bit shorter so I could have had a little more downtime before dinner.

My issue with the Arc House was in the decor/linens/amenities realm. Given that the building was 200 years old, and the price was quite reasonable, I was OK with a few cracks in the walls and paint imperfections. I was expecting shabby chic, but the decor was an eclectic mix of furniture, linens and art from many different eras, randomly thrown together. A mirror that looked like a holdover from the 1980s hung next to my antique armoire. The large blue polka dots on my bedspread clashed with the historic fireplace. The towels were mismatched, worn, and in a variety of colors. The bathroom amenities included liquid soap that looked like it came from the local grocery store. There was no shampoo, kleenex or face cloths. The massage table was covered with old beach towels rather than a sheet.

All that said, I had a great time because we were gone most of the time anyway, and I was lucky to be with a great group of people. The food was a highlight. The local town was quaint.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank divefan
Reviewed 13 November 2008

The Arc House stands out from other spas in its ability to tailor its programs to fit your needs. I came to destress due to work burn out as well as lose weight. The environment at the Arc House is perfect so you can relax, exercise at your own pace and enjoy delicious meals with a French flair. There are a nice range of massages and spa treatments to make you feel great and reenergize. The staff is friendly, helpful and responsive to your requests. With the several excursions to different cities (i.e. Toulouse, Bordeaux), you actually visit France and not just stay at a spa. The Arc House has several perks many spas don’t have such as DVD players (Region 2) in your room, a collection of books and magazines as well as wi-fi to keep you entertained and in touch. The most unique feature is having a counselor who helps you with your stress related issues and guides you in finding coping techniques for your daily life. Thus, the results you achieve at the Arc House won’t be lost when you return home. My experience at the Arc House has recharged me. Not only have I lost weight I also have the confidence to continue to do so when I return home. I also learned what are my stress buttons and how to avoid them. Whether you want to relax, reenergize, destress, get fit or lose weight, the Arc House is the perfect choice to help you obtain your goals. No matter why you come, you will find it to be an enjoyable experience. SYH

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank balajo
Reviewed 24 October 2008

It is the perfect place to go if you need to detach from everyday life and reconnect with yourself!

My mother and I went, and both had an amazing experience; we lost weight, made fantastic friends and learned a lot about ourselves and each other!

Now that we are back to our busy lives in The States, we remind each other often to simplify our days and live an Arc House life at home.

Uzoma and Robert, the owners, truly changed my life and my body, and I am so profoundly grateful!!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Sulli72
Reviewed 9 April 2008

My stay at the Arc House was one of the most relaxing vacations I have ever taken. Athough, I went there for the weight loss program, I did not feel that I was on a diet, rather a relaxing vacation. The food was great, service friendly and what I learned about food and my addiction to food from Uzoma will last me a life time. The chef prepared the food with skill and gave cooking demonstrations. I still have not gained any weight back and plan to return this summer. The many spa treatments were great and wonderful day trips were planned along with a weekend in Paris and wine tastings at the many vineyards. I highly recommend the wonderful spa getaway!!!

Sherry