“Truly breathtaking”

Pic Du Midi
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in La Mongie
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Pic du Midi in the Hautes-Pyrénées. An exceptional destination in high mountain for the holidays and the weekends: families, tourist groups, school outings, events and seminars of companies. All year long, access by cable car from La Mongie, at feet of the Col du Tourmalet. At the summit the most beautiful panorama of the Pyrenees, a museum on the astronomy and the history of the Pic du Midi, a traditional restaurant of altitude. Mountain bike downhill. Panoramic webcams and weather conditions live
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've been to La Mongie a few times, in both winter and summer. There's something about ski resorts, surrounded by huge mountain peaks, that makes you feel alive. Perhaps the realisation of your own insignificance!

I adore this ski station - partly because it's not big and full of tourists like some of the more popular stations in the Alps, partly because of the amazing tartiflette and (my favourite) fondue you can get in the local hostelries, but mostly because it has something no other ski resort has (to my knowledge!) - a huge observatory on one of the peaks.

It's mind-boggling to contemplate that the building of the observatory began in 1878, long before helicopters and modern cable cars. You'll understand what I mean when you're up there!

You cannot visit Bagneres-de-Bigorre, Tarbes, Pau or even Toulouse without taking a detour to La Mongie to ride the cable car to the Pic du Midi observatory, it truly is incredible.

From the nervous multi-lingual banter and giggles in the cable car, to the astounding views of the Pyrenees, it doesn't get much better than this. If you're a photographer, and you time your visit right, you will get some amazingly beautiful shots.

And if you're really adventurous, why not stay? There is some accommodation at the peak (that needs booked well in advance!) it's not too fancy, but that's not what it's about. During your stay you can eat well, and get up in the night to look at the stars through some of the high-powered telescopes. Wow!

One of the best, and most memorable places I have ever visited.

All reviews
"star gazing"
in 4 reviews
"an amazing place"

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

So disappointing. We drove 2.5hrs there only to find out that the cable car ride was closed due to snow n rain. Its not mentioned on their website that it was closed. We checked the weather forecast n their website. Weather was good n warm, clear sky but nothing about the cable car ride was closed. Its a totally wasted trip unless you are going there to ski. Anyone going there, please, please call them first before going out of house.

3  Thank Janlee07
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We spent the night at the summit as part of our ski holiday. We were due to go up on the Monday but the weather was bad so it was cancelled. In the case of cancellation you do get your money back or can rebook for another time (if there is availability of course). However, the forecast had been very poor a few days previously and we had to continuously phone the company we booked with and the Pic Du Midi on the Monday morning for updates (I do not know when/how they would have let us know otherwise). My point being that as we were not based in La Mongie (where the lift departs) we could not get on with our day until the cancellation was confirmed.
We managed to rebook for Wednesday when the weather was due to improve but had the same process of repeatedly phoning to get confirmation it was going ahead. It did and we drove to barages where we had a day skiing in the snow/poor visibility before getting the last lift up from La Mongie to the summit where the weather magically lifted to some amazing views.
It was here we realised we were 2 of 6 guests for the night and that the animator who was to conduct the talks/tours could speak minimal English (my GCSE French was better). I had phoned before we had booked and been told we would have an English speaking animator that was then confirmed by email.
We were given no itinerary and had it not been for another English speaking guest we would not have known where to be and when.
We sat through talks on the observatory, descriptions on the night sky and what we were seeing through the telescope, talks on solar activity and the telescopes they have,barely understanding anything.
The food is basic but edible.
I give it 3 stars because, despite missing out, the views at sunset and sunrise are incredible and with so few people it was quite an experience. Looking at the night sky through the telescope was pretty great too.
For this to appeal to an international audience they must provide more for than a suggestion to download the ap afterwards!
(FYI not a cheap experience -approx €400 for 2 people!)

4  Thank Lizzie389
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Well worth the long drive over the mountains. We travelled here in October but did not realise that the last cable car leaves earlier outside the main season, so do check before you start your journey to avoid disappointment, as there was no mention of the revised times in the tourist information we had. In addition we initially drove right past the cable car entrance as we did not notice any obvious signs from the main road, the tourist office was closed so we asked for directions, only to find we had driven past the main car park (on the left) which was empty. However, after some deliberation, we decided to stay in the area for another night so we could visit this attraction the following day, this time we arrived early, with blue skies and bright sunshine the views were amazing, we were so lucky as there was very little cloud. This was an expensive attraction (65 euros for a couple) but we are so glad we came, such a lasting memory!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I did not manage to spent the booked night at the Pic du Midi because of bad weather. I am sure it would had been great ... I GIVE A BAD RATING ONLY BECAUSE OF SERIOUS ORGANIZATIONAL FLAWS.
However, the booking procedure is unnecessarily convoluted -- numerous exchanges of e-mails, printing a voucher to be exchanged at the Pic for a ticket, etc.). BUT WORSE:
- the ride is very often cancelled because of bad weather, something that the web site of Pic du Midi does not mention (at least, I do not remember reading it)
- when my ride as cancelled, I was warned by e-mail (not the most sensible option to contact people on the move) and by a UNIQUE phone call from an UNLISTED number that did not manage to leave a message on my perfectly functioning voice mail. As I was not able to answer at the precise moment I was called, could not call back because of the unlisted number, and did not understand that the call came from the Pic du Midi (how could I), I got no warning and made a difficult drive in heavy snow to be kindly told to go back.
- the (very nice) lady at Pic du Midi told me that she COULD NOT send a SMS, her phone does not allow for it! Can do better, particularly considering the price charged!
- the reimbursement is not automatic but require calling the Pic du Midi etc.
- I still am awaiting the reimbursement two weeks after the incident.
All this is not very serious ....

3  Thank Christophe D