“Unbelievable and homely”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
“Unbelievable and homely”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Went for a birthday treat with my family. We had such a lovely time. The staff were lovely and could not have been more helpful. Food was first class. Will be back in a heart beat. Excellent.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I spent a lovely afternoon with friends today at barnabys , my first visit pleasant staff and very attentive , especaily patient with one of our group who can be extremely fussy . was great food and value for money can't wait to go back

1 Thank debbchar
“What a joke”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I went to Barnabys for lunch this afternoon with my husband and 10 month old.
Our visit didn't get off to the best start when the manager told my daughter (who was wearing pink) that she was a lovely boy.
Anyway we ordered, I had a burger which was okay, nothing exciting or out of the ordinary, my husband had stew which he really enjoyed and I asked for a 'tiny bit of mash and a couple if veggies' for my daughter. When hers arrived it was quite a big bowl (about 5 times more than she can eat).
My daughter had a couple of spoonfuls, and out of shear embarrassment and not wanting to be seen to waste food my husband and I ate a little of what was left. When the table was cleared it was very obvious that over half of what she'd been given had been left, yet we were charged £3.95 for a portion of mash. I was surprised to say the least. We eat out quite a bit and usually restaurants are more than happy to give us some vegetables for free, which in reality couldn't of cost the restaurant more than 30p.
Already unamused we settled the bill and went to leave. Whilst waiting for my husband I noticed the manager sit down at a table with another member if staff and pour herself a large glass of wine. I wish I worked somewhere that it was appropriate to drink on the job. The other member if staff with her was loud to say the least and started talking about a customer 'John' I'll leave out his surname in case he reads this, and about him wanting to add another 4 guests to his table for the James Martin dinner. I lost track of the number if times she used the f word in the space of 30 seconds but suffice to say it was clear she wasn't happy with John!
All in all Barnabys I am totally unimpressed. To have so little regard for regular clients never mind those like us who call in now and then is nothing short if disgraceful.
I live locally and will be sure to tell as many people as I can not to darken your doors!

2 Thank RachLow
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exquisite!!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I had heard about Barnabys through talking to a friend who had previously visited the restaurant, due to the positive feedback I brought my two children and my husband to see what all of the fuss was about, I was certainly not disappointed. The atmosphere was very welcoming Aswell as the staff present on this night. The layout is fantastic Aswell as the food which each of us enjoyed thoroughly! I give great praises to the chiefs! Overall a wonderful dining experience and hope to return again for another great night.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Racheldunn
Belfast, United Kingdom
“THANK HEAVENS THAT MANNERS AND HOMELY FOOD REMAINS”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Brought my family here for a reunion when they came home from Austrialia. After a very bad experience in another local restaurant I was abit nervous, no need to be. From the minute we drove up the beautifully lit drive, the welcome from the staff and the warmth of the whole place my mind was set at ease so I could enjoy the evening. Food amazing which just added to the experience and who ever is making those desserts, keep making that brulee its to die for. We have promised as a treat we will come back here every month. Amazing and not overpriced. Thank you to all the staff who made our night fabulous.

• Visited November 2013