“Good quality food, and plenty of it”

Bistrot de la Place
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Marck
Price range: US$19 - US$31
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My Dad and I stopped here on a day trip to Calais. A small restaurant and bar, but obviously very popular with locals and tourists alike. On realising just how rusty my french had become, the staff kindly translated the menu for us. We chose the terrine to start, which is brought out in a massive pot; you just help yourself to however much you want - this was really delicious. We then both had the steak which was served with shallots and a simple dressed salad. They also brought out a huge bowl of fries, which were delicious. Meal came to approx £20 per person.

Only downside - the toilets! But, I'm British!

Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank KirstyM83

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Marck is a few kilometres east of Calais and the bistrot is behind the main street so you don't see it if you're just passing through. Free parking on the square opposite. The restaurant is attractive both outside and in, while the service is friendly and efficient (English spoken too). The menu is on a board and there are only three or four choices. I ordered herring as a starter and was very surprised when an enormous dish of fresly-marinaded fish came out and was left on the table for me to help myself to as much as I wanted. Main dishes such as Boeuf Bourgignon and Rillettes were also presented in large bowls on a help-yourself basis. We had never come across this before. All the food was home-cooked and beautifully flavoured, including desserts which, in France, can often be some sort of ice-cream dish straight out of a freezer. The bill came to less than £20 a head including drinks and coffee. We will definitely return here on our next visit to Calais as we found it excellent value for such superb food and service.

1  Thank Poppins2
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This small restaurant/bar is frequented mostly by locals. There were four starters and four main courses (I believe the menu changes daily), and the cooking was of a high standard. Hearty food with large portions. Good, friendly service. The restaurant is a few kilometres outside of Calais, so easily accessible for a day trip. Plenty of free parking in the square opposite. Recommended.

1  Thank MartSurrey
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We have been using this restaurant for about 4 years on our day trip over to Calais. Excellent food good prices - we often take friends who absolutely love it just like us!

1  Thank Debra184
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We got a tip about this place whilst on a wine top-up trip to Calais.
I have never had food tasting this good before, the chef deserves an arm full of Michelin stars.
A family run Bistro that the locals use as well, the menu is different every day, great service.
My only regret is that I was too full to finish the meal, the portions are VERY generous.
The chef is a very jolly chap, he even showed us his kitchen, which was spotless.
I chose the Rabbit dish which was succulent and very tasty, the sauce was an absolute delight, which makes me say that even very reasonably priced local cooking at this Bistrot makes me believe that French cooks kick the English cooks out of the window with their quality and service.
No burgers and cheap out of a freezer here.

1  Thank Lewis B