All reviews the cantina bevis family horseback riding flora and fauna kerosene lamps mayan ruins no electricity exploring caves small doses big rock head lamp run by a family educational experience horses roaming wonderful days natural beauty great birding
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Paradise does exist! We been there! And we are truly sad that we have to travel onwards.

If you come from San Ignacio you’ll need to travel up the Chiquibul Road in the direct of the Pine Mountain Ridge. The turn left is sign-posted. The Chiquibul Road is bad and we drove it with a 4x4 vehicle, although we have seen normal sedans driving it (with probably suicidal drivers behind the wheel).

Once you take the turn op to the Mountain Equestrian Trail (MET) you come into a green, lush valley with horses roaming free, palm trees, flowers and many birds.

The houses where you’ll sleep do not have any electricity so you’ll get a oil lamp at night. The next morning we had a huge breakfast and then we went horse back finding through the jungle. What a superb trip through water, up mountains and the guide told us many things about trees, poisonous plants and antidotes. Just perfect. Even for us as we have never been on horses before. The horses are well trained so even small children could ride them. In the afternoon we went swimming at Big Rock Fall.

In the evening we had a nice dinner and some beers. The next morning we went to the Barton Creek Cave (tip: go swimming there afterwards).

Now, after three nights we are heading for the coast and we have to leave. That makes us sad but this place will be a lasting memory. It is definitely a place worth 8 out of 5 points.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2018

I did the half day ride because it’s been so long since I’ve ridden. I
regret not doing the full day! It was amazing! I’m a solo traveler so they let me join another group. The group was being incredibly difficult and I felt so bad for the guides. The two guide handled them like champs and let us on a spectacular ride. I was even allowed to try some cantering!
The group was French and barely understood English so our guide was able to speak Spanish so we could all understand.
Plus I was even allowed to join the group going to Barton creek last min when we got back from our ride.
I’ll be bringing my friends and family here when I return!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2018

We spent four days at Mountain Equestrian Trails. The hospitality of the owners was second to none, the breakfast and dinners were delicious as well as the lunch they prepared for us for our day trip to Coracol. The property is a gem, absolutely beautiful. My daughter enjoyed a full day of horseback riding, which ended up to be her best day ever riding in her ten year plus of horseback riding. The rooms / cabana's are basic with hot and cold water, shower etc, and mosquito net over the bed. There is no electricity in the room, but there are plenty of oil lamps which made it a nice experience. Next time we are in the San Ignazio are, we will certainly be back, thanks for a wonderful four days.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations! What a beautiful cabana (not sure if that is what they called our private sleeping quarters). There is plenty of room in your cabana and very comfy beds. I specifically came for the horse riding. I was very satisfied with the rides and guides. The rides were actually an educational experience --learning about the jungle flora and other facts about the country. The horses ALL were excellent. I have been on more than one international horse trip and this one exceeded my expectation. The tack was just what I love to ride for trail riding, endurance type
I really enjoyed the lunches provided during the rides. The lunches had more of a local cuisine flavor. If, you don't ride it is still a lovely place to get away. I regret I didn't take morning walk which others did who was staying there. The guides /help were all excellent.

A word of advice, bring a headlamp it is easier at night since there is no electric in the cabana. Kerosene lighting is provided. The head lamp is quite nice for walking and a bit better lighting option.

Also if you love the internet you can not be connected to the internet via streaming and posting lots of photos this might not be the place for you. There is internet but it is slow and so no streaming. There is phone service, no problem.

This is a place to unwind and enjoy nature.

Thanks again for a wonderful visit!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed in Mountain Equestrian Trails as two families with four young children between us and my father who is 70. It was absolutely the most perfect spot for all of the ages in our group to enjoy! There setting is beautiful and just walking around the grounds or swinging in the hammock you can see the sights and sounds of the jungle. The food was fantastic, the staff can't do enough for you and all in all it made for a perfect family holiday which we will never forget. We have travelled all over the world and it is rare to find a place as special as this!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family