LeUaina Beach Resort
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspiula cave poolgarden villaair confishbeach fronthuge deckgreat potentiallittle piece of paradisegenuine interestpancakessmall beachbring earplugsother parts of the islandkids poolwater fronteach morningocean villas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed only 2 nights at the resort -- so fortunate it was not any longer. I convinced my family to see the bright side of this short stay-- the warm clear sea, the nice pool (although I am not sure if it was cleaned). We were also right next door to the Piula cave pool. The gardens were lovely.
We had a larger family sized room, which was fine for me, but my daughter had a hard time with the bugs and the cold shower water. The room was spartan with no real decor. The towels were small. The AC ran fine. We could not open windows, though, as there were no screens. Ocean fales do have screens, but are very small inside. Overall, we all slept just fine.

Greatest concern -- health and hygiene. The resort was burning garbage and the toxic smoke covered the resort. We had to leave for the entire day (bright side -- we got to see more of the villages and lush forest). Guests with no car had to resort to staying in their rooms. We mentioned our concern with the thick smoke several times. I feel sorry for the staff exposed to the smoke that all day. The owners came to the property so I thought that would put an end to the smoke, but, no, the fire and smoke only increased!

The condition of the restaurant kitchen and restrooms was not so clean. I did end up with an intestinal issue which required antibiotics (bright side -- I had brought Rx with me. I lost some weight) Is there a hand washing policy? Are there procedures for overall hygiene?

The service was so very slow (I think we waited to even see a menu, then seemed like an hour to be served) Food was about average. We had at least one good meal each at some point. Bright side was we were not in any real hurry. We could watch the sun set. i just wish we were aknowledged.

Many staff members were friendly. I hate to be a whiner, but there is a real lack of overall management. There is much potential. Hospitality training is greatly needed: Don't smoke your guests away. Provide pool towels, Clean off the grime. Clean the kitchen. Install hot water. Decrease the wait for service and for food (make sure it is served hot). Offer cultural events. Have live Samoan music in the evening.

Fortunately, we found better resort accomdations on the other side of the island............... thank goodness. We have traveled to Samoa for over 30 years and Le Uaina has been the most dissapointing of all stays.

If you do stay, be prepared not to whine and try to enjoy what you can.

Room Tip: Find out in advance if they will be burning trash, so you can plan to be out of the resort. Ocean facing fales are small, but do have great view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Margot900
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The first thing I would like to say is that the views from the shore of the resort are great, stretching out to the reef on the horizon. When you look down in the shallow waters, you see little fish swimming by. That's pretty much the only thing that's great about this hotel. I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you only love to swim, and do not have high expectations for anything else. Besides swimming in the fresh water pool, you can swim in the ocean or at the Piula pools which are both in walking distance. The only other recreation that they had was kayaking.

The food wasn't that great in general, but I did have a couple of decent meals.. They were always missing something (banana's, ice, etc.), and sometimes there meals would take too long, or they were cold by the time they arrived. My Mom got really sick from something she ate. There is a market that is just up the road. I suggest you eat there (they won't allow food or drinks in Le Uaina). If you rented a car, going out to eat would be the best choice. It might be a drive but better safe and also have a meal you enjoy.

The service and hospitality were unfortunately lacking. On the second day, the staff was burning trash in the side yard, and no one seemed to do anything about it until the day was almost over. I have asthama, so it affects my lungs if I breathe it, so we had to keep asking and asking until finaly around 5 pm someone stopped the smoke. It was my moms Birthday on the day we were there, and it was not her favorite day. Even the owner didn't do anything to stop the smoke. We had to leave for the whole day because I could not breath.

There was only one staff member who we really enjoyed. She was a waitress. Very friendly.

The rooms were like jail cells in disguise. Let me start by saying that the door was moldy and little worms were crawling around it. When we got inside the room, it was just two beds, a little closet and a very basic toilet. There was only cold water and a tiny little place to put you tiny soap. The room lacked resort style docorations, just one badly hung decoration. Later on, the little worms came into our room, for the door couldn't keep out the little critters! The rooms were not at all what I was expecting.

Overall this resort is not really a resort. This is one of the worst stays i have ever had and I really suggest staying somewhere else. Le Uaina needs to listen to their guests, clean up a bit, stop the thick smoke from burning trash, and think about service -- little things like pool towels, and shorter waits for meals.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mabel831
PercyFaleapuna, Manager at LeUaina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Mabel,
Your comment is correct, and I remember you were the family in the Family Rooms. So sorry to see that you had to go through that. There was always a rule of no burning rubbish, and when I turned up on the day, there was something with the trash that involved the Village Council and it was sad that this was the very day you were here. There is no excuse, but please know that I was not made aware of this beforehand. We do not allow this at all. This will never happen again and we apologize for your terrible experience. With Kind Regards

Resort Manager

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Lets start by saying this is a lovely spot. A sandy beach lined with palm trees. Warm shallow water full of bright colourful reef fish. Great snorkelling and kayaking. About 90 mins from Apia airport and about 40 mins from Apia.

It got worse from there. We stayed in an ocean view villa. Opened the door to be greeted by a line of ants, 2 cockroaches and water on the bathroom floor from a leaking pipe under sink (not fixed in the five days we were there). The ants and roaches were a regular feature everyday of our stay. Air con would not turn off so we had to find the mains box to throw the switch. Mattress on the double bed was badly sprung (ie broken) and pitched one person into the middle of the bed.
Breakfast very good on first day then we discovered a well known telecoms group were holding their managers meeting there. Once they had gone, back to basic tropical breakfast. Evening meals were ok but slow and expensive by other comparable hotels standards. Swimming pool not cleaned in five days we were there. Also not filtered or chlorinated as they had "run out of tablets" and had forgotten to order any in! Water grey and cloudy by day 4!
There is a small shop near the hotels for basics and a local bus will take you into Apia for 3 tala each way.
I can't say I would recommend staying here. After 5 days we were glad to be moving on. The staff seem indifferent. Nothing gets done unless you ask and they seem to be relying on the sea, beach and the views. Find something closer to Apia where they remember what service is. My advice to the owners would be to get a manager in who will crack a whip as the staff need moving up a few gears even by laid back local standards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RoomSpY

Dear RoomSpy,

Thank you for your comment and we regret to hear of your disaapointments and view of our Resort. I am also worried to see that we did not do anything to fix the problems in your room. I trust your stay was still comfortable to not have heard from you during your stay. If you really take note, our staff do not sit around, they take their jobs seriously. So, relying on the sea and views didn't even cross our minds. We strive daily to please our guests and we are just sad we did not do enough. We hope the rest of your experience in Samoa was pleasant and we wish you well in your future travels. Best Regards

Resort Manager

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I traveled with friends who wanted to visit Piula pool. We stopped and viewed the pool which they have made some changes since I lived there in the 80s . It looked very welcoming with showers, changing rooms etc.
Fom there we saw the Le uaina and we attracted to it by the strategic and proximity to the Piula pool.
We had lunch under the tree by the sea and admired the gentle movements of the waves and the sea creatures like crabs darting under the rocks.

Our meals were presented nicely, tasty and enough to keep us going until dinner time.
We drank fresh cool young coconut milk which was welcoming as it was getting rather hot and humid.
The service was great .

I would recommend this place for people who might like to swim at Piula and then have lunch.

We met some Kiwi travellers who were staying at the Le Uaina who told us about the pleasant, safe surrounding .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ana C
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The owners have finally spent some money on this resort but sad to say they have not improved the mattresses in the rooms. Since June last year they have installed a wonderful looking swimming pool with a surrounding bar (not in use) and poolside toilets – in a very disgusting condition. Come on Le Uaina how hard is it for a staff member to monitor the toilets when you have a pool full of people?
They had a sunshade gazebo type of thing that’s has 4 legs and a peaked plastically looking roof something one would buy in our NZ the Warehouse for $20. The only trouble with this sunshade type thing was that instead of screwing it down to the pool decking they nailed the 4 legs and bent the nail heads over so that a child or anyone if they caught their toe on the nail it would rip your toe off. There is no health and safety in this place. It’s such a shame it could be so much better. There are no poolside railings don’t step back you will end up falling some 6 ft. into the rocks and sea. Come on Le Uaina you have to do better than this if you want returning guests of which I will never be, twice was enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple