All reviews beach boy vanilla yogurt beach suite octopus fish our honeymoon french polynesia overwater bungalow bora bora each morning coral gardens half board dinner menu perfect end half day tour snorkel trip hermit crabs
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Wow, there's just not much more to say than this is just the most perfect place to start a special holiday. Vahine island is small but perfectly formed. Laid back luxury pure and simple. The welcome was warm and genuine. Elisabeth is a joy.

Our room, Fare Ono, was one of the beach suites. We loved it and are so pleased we didn't opt for the overwater bungalow. This room was private and huge and gorgeous. We sat and watched the ocean and the most beautiful sunset every day. It felt like we had our own piece of the island totally to ourselves. I've never experienced anything like it. It's not high end luxury but has absolutely everything you need and is charming and lovely.

They arrange activities twice a day which you do or don't. It doesn't matter. It's all top quality.

The food is exceptional. From homemade goodies at breakfast to dinner by Pierre and his team which is stunning. Especially given the remoteness of this place.

I'm so so pleased we decided on Vahine. It's beautiful, an unforgettable experience, a perfect holiday.

Thank you.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Danielle T
Vahine-Island, General Manager at Vahine Island - Private Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Dear Danielle & E. =),

Thanks a lot for your beautiful review! It was actually a real pleasure to welcome you on our small piece of paradise and we are glad to read that you enjoyed so much your time with us.
We hope you had a perfect stay on each islands you visited and enjoyed each day in French Polynesia before your way back to the UK. =)

You two have a lovely weekend!
Take care and thanks again for your kindness.

With our warmest regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2017

Probably everything has already been said about this little piece of heaven. I can only confirm that every single superlative is well deserved - location, scenery, ambience, accommodation, food, food, food... yes, it's not a typo that I wrote it 3 times - it's just outstanding. You get the three course dinner menu in the morning and if you don't like something or you have a special diet you can replace it with whatever you want from the a-la-carte menu (I never needed to do that). When the girls serve the menu they explain you, to the finest detail, what you are going to eat. Never before in my life I had eaten 4 days in a row gourmet food. It was hard to imagine how we'd go back to regular food afterwards. On top of that, after dinner Pierre (the chef) "treated" us with a Tahaa rhum, which he left fermenting for months with different sorts of fruits... Those fine little touches are what makes an experience memorable and makes you feel you are in a unique place.

And then the service... the best thing about this place is definitely the service. Elizabeth and Pierre (who manage the resort) and all the others are going the extra mile to make you feel great. All the staff seemed to be multifunctional. Landry is greeting and guiding the guests, as well as doing the administration, but he's also a musician (we had the chance to listen him play and sing). Thierry, who's doing the boat transfers is also making the wooden furniture around the resort, which is a piece of art. Vivi, who's serving the food is also helping him with that. All the others were also very attentive and I am sorry I couldn't remember all their names, because they all deserve to be mentioned. And the best part is - it didn't feel like we were being served - since everyone seemed to enjoy what they were doing, it felt more like visiting friends... from the moment Elizabeth, Pierre and Landry greeted us with big smiles, through a very special day for us, which everyone helped become a precious, memorable experience (both figuratively and literally - thanks to them we have a video), until the moment they waved for good-bye...

We've had the chance to travel around the world and stay in some luxury accommodations, but never before we had such a personal attitude and attention to detail. With such service, any little issue here and there, which you may encounter becomes so negligent that you won't even remember it. Vahine Island now has a reserved place in our hearts and we promised ourselves we'd return there.

To sum-up:
If you mainly/only care about luxury accommodation and tons of amenities and activities, most of which you won't even use - you can go to Bora Bora. Otherwise, I can guarantee you'd prefer Vahine Island.
It's definitely a place that should be on everyone's bucket list. If you can afford it - go there soon. If you can't - start saving for it NOW!

Room tip: We stayed at the last Over Water Bungalow and we loved it.
2  Thank Vikcho

Our dear V&V, =)

Such a wonderful review you wrote us! I read it with Pierre and Landry and decided to print it and hang it in the kitchen for all the staff. =)
It was such a pleasure to be your "final" destination after your long trip around the world! We felt that your stay with us was really important for you and we wanted to make sure your special day was as special as you wanted it to be. And yes, everyone put his contribution. =) I hope the video is not too dark... =)
We hope you had a nice trip back to Europe and will hopefully have the chance to welcoming you again in the near future. =)

Have a really nice weekend and please accept our warmest regards,

See you soon! =)

PS: Pierre's Coconut Rhum is really good, isn't it? =)

Reviewed 3 May 2017

WOW!!
What more is there to say, however I feel we need to elaborate on our WOW statement. This is truly a hidden little paradise, that to be quite honest I'm not sure I want to share with anyone else, but that would be soo selfish.

From the moment we were picked up at the airport by boat by Thierry, we knew we were on holiday. We arrived at the hotel jetty on what seemed to be our own private little island, met by the delightful Elisabeth. We felt we knew each other already as having booked our holiday 6 months prior, we had been emailing on and off for some time. She is a beautiful person inside and out - an amazing Italian who with her husband Pierre (chef extraordinaire) manage the resort jointly.

We had booked an OWB and were not disappointed, everything was lovely and this is a place that literally is barefoot luxury. You need one pair of flip flops the whole time you are there just to walk back and forth from your bungalow. The custom in FP is you leave your shoes outside! My 8 pairs of flip flops / sandals were completely redundant.

The food - words cannot describe adequately - it really is seeing and tasting to believe - you will not be disappointed - all meals have so much thought put into them, regards, flavours, textures and presentation - even breakfast was just like fine dining. Also you never ever leave the table feeling hungry.

The water activities - snorkelling in the main is probably the best we have done and we have snorkelled literally all over the world. It is breathtakingly beautiful - make sure you have your gopro charged every day to go out. What Roy our guide didn't know, wasn't worth knowing. He knew where to find the hidden gems, picking up octopus and puffa fish for us to stroke, finding the seahorses and obviously finding Nemo, who loved to be tickled - Roy thank you for this experience and sharing your knowledge of the sealife with us.

We can honestly say there is NOTHING negative that we can think of to say. All the staff are so friendly, happy, always smiling and wanting to engage in conversations with their truly international customers - nothing is ever too much trouble. A big thank you to Llandry who when we decided we wanted to go to Bora Bora by helicopter instead of our original booked flight, did all the necessary arrangements with the helicopter company, Air Tahiti to cancel our flight and also our hotel in Bora Bora to let them know of the change of travel. The other shout out too is to Vivi, who just had the most infectious personality - truly a lovely girl.

This is definitely one place that when we say we would go back, we will be back - just a few other places we want to tick off on our bucket list first, but this is definitely a bucket list item. We spent 6 nights, 7 days on Vahine and could easily have stayed longer, but as it is our first trip to FP, we felt we should see other islands, so have moved onto Bora Bora now and then Tahiti afterwards.

With only 9 bungalows, thus a maximum of 18 residents you can be as chilled as you want, mix as much as you want, but whatever you do, I defy anyone to not enjoy their time here.

Room tip: OWB are the best
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Vahine-Island, General Manager at Vahine Island - Private Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Dear M&M, =)

WOW!! This is now our turn to try to find a word that could efficently describe our feelings after reeding your review. We can't thank you enough for all the nice things you said about our lovely staff, Pierre's food and especially about my italian personnality... =) Please feel free to contact us as soon as you arrive at the end of your trip bucket list: it will be a real pleasure to have you back here with us. But next time it has to be for your real birthday date. =)
We hope you enjoyed Bora Bora as much as you enjoyed your stay with us. As you know, Thierry, Roe and Vivi are part of the furniture now so I'm sure they will be more than pleased to welcome you again for your next trip in French Polynesia.

Have a safe trip back home and hope to see you again in the near future! =)
With all our warmest regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2017

We have visited this resort every year for the last 3 years. Needless to say, we love Vahine Island Resort.

I can only concur with all the positive reviews here; the staff, the facility, the rooms, the water, the food are all excellent. We have traveled to French Polynesia numerous times over 30 years, and this is our favorite place to stay.

There were 3 additions/changes from last year I would like to comment on:

First, the new managers, Elisabeth and Pierre. Wonderful people, very friendly and welcoming, great hosts. Elisabeth is very outgoing, and speaks at least 3 languages. She is perfect for her job. Pierre is the chef and every meal was excellent. One night in particular, we had the best dinner we have ever had.... anyplace. We knew the food was going to be good, but, our meals were way beyond just "good". The best. Thank you Pierre.

The second addition was the improved walkway out to the reef. We spent a little time each day, walking the reef, listening to the waves, and sitting on a small bench, watching crystal clear water rush in from the ocean to the lagoon, carrying thousands of fish. Elisabeth has made this area a perfect place to have a wedding ceremony. Beautiful!

The third addition is a spa. And I love spas. With open doors that look onto a crystal blue waterway, it has a "zen like" ambiance. While I laid on the table getting a facial/massage, the breeze was blowing thru, keeping the room cool. You could hear the crashing of the waves on the reef. My treatment (by Maima) was excellent; my skin was cleaned, refreshed and soft, and I was completely relaxed. I can not think of a better place for a spa to be located.

One last thing I need to mention is, the staff at this resort is one of the reasons my husband and I WILL be back. In addition to Pierre and Elisabeth, the staff members here are all so very nice. And with 3 visits under our belts, we actually consider them friends. Landry (who helps in the office), Moeva, Vivi, Maima, Terri, and ALL the waitstaff, Roi (what a great guy; can't say enough good things about his snorkels and nature tours), Hi Mata, Jerry, ALL the wonderful housekeeping staff, and ALL the grounds people, (I don't mean to leave anyone out..) I mean EVERYONE who works at this resort are top notch.

So yes; we love Vahine Resort. Next year, we hope to make it "4 years in a row".

Room tip: All rooms are great. We prefer over the water bungalows, but I know the beach front bungalows are also extremely nice and well appointed.
3  Thank LJ W
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

We were jet skiing around Tahaa and lunch was set up for us here by the jet ski company. Greatly enjoyed lunch and really liked what we saw. Best food so far in Tahiti! Very nice staff and friendly manager. We would definitely think about staying there when we come back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank samuraitraveler
Vahine-Island, General Manager at Vahine Island - Private Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Dear "SamuraiTraveler",

Thanks a lot for your review! =) We are glad that you enjoyed your short Vahine experience so much!
Next time, we do hope you will have time enough to taste our rhum... =)

Have a lovely stay in French Polynesia and of course you will be more than welcome next time you decide to come back at the other side of the world.

With our warmest regards,