All reviews beach boy vanilla yogurt beach suite octopus fish our honeymoon french polynesia overwater bungalow bora bora each morning coral gardens half board dinner menu perfect end half day tour snorkel trip hermit crabs
Reviewed 10 July 2017

This was our second visit. In the past year the on-site managers (wife manages-husband is the Chef) has changed. Just when we thought it couldn't get any better, it did! What an awesome team they are. We felt like we were back visiting relatives (the rest of the staff are the same wonderful people). As we exited the Air Tahiti flight we could clearly see the smiling face of our boat captain, Thierry. Big hugs all around. Thierry loaded our luggage into the boat located a brief walk from the plane and off we went for the 45 min. ride over the Turquoise waters of the lagoon to the island paradise. Again greeted by who are now friends are the rest of the staff and the new manager, Elizabeth. What a delightful addition to the resort. Later we got to meet Pierre and were equally impressed and spent five days enjoying his creative cooking. This is a very special place with very special people and you will surely fall in love with both and not be able to contain yourself until you return over and over. We are already booked again for next year. We travel all the way from Florida which most oeple consider paradise but in relaity Vahine is the real Paradise!

Room tip: There are only 9 bungalows of that 3 are over water.
Date of stay: May 2017
1  Thank ultrapilot
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Of 3 resorts we visited, this one we liked best. We stayed 5 days. Elizabeth and Pierre we love you. Breakfast while the same every day is very good. The dinners beyond 5 stars thanks to Pierre. What a chef !!!!. Wow!!! The desserts so good. Had to take pictures of them. Then there was Pierre bringing us his rum. I don't care for alcohol, but this rum I could get to like. The resort is on a small Motu that you can walk in 20 minutes. Stunning South Pacific tropical paradise w/o cars, planes, copters, tv. Can't live without your smart phone stuck to your ear, in need of learning about the latest world calamity on CNN now, then this resort is not for you. Our bungalow overlooked a shimmering turquoise lagoon and palm fringed motus. Getting a toe massage from the small fish in the morning was very cute thanks to Pierre. Most reviews will not agree with me on the snorkeling. The snorkeling around the resort itself is very shallow ,12" to 24" with a current where I tried. Not very good at all. Went out on a boat several times about a mile away to another passage for a drift snorkel. Healthiest coral of 3 resorts. Number & type of fishes a little disappointing. I have snorkeled/ free dived the Palau archipelago (world class), Ponape, Great barrier reef, Bonaire, If you have never snorkeled don't worry you won't be disappointed. The snorkeling is in chest deep water. Thank you Elizabeth, thank you Pierre we enjoyed our 5 days very much. Maruru, Dick and Claire

PS. Bring a camera cable (HDMI etc) to hook up to a TV in your room to view your pictures. No there are no programs to watch.

Date of stay: June 2017
3  Thank kk2bb2kk2
Reviewed 2 July 2017

We truly enjoyed our 3 nights in an overwater bungalow in Vahine Island. We visited 4 islands of the French Polynesia including what was supposed to be luxurious resorts in Bora Bora and we can state that our experience in Vahine Island was the best by far.

The food and the service were excellent and the island is wonderful. It makes you feel in paradise. You can really relax and feel peace and tranquillity in and remarkable environment.

Elisabeth and Pierre, together with the rest of the staff made us enjoy every day of our stay.

Our least favourite point of Vahine Island would be the scarcity of marine life and abundance of sea cucumbers in the hotel surroundings but this was obviously nothing compared to the beauty of the island.

Date of stay: June 2017
3  Thank FT023
Vahine-Island, General Manager at Vahine Island - Private Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Dear FT023 =),

Thanks a lot for taking the time on sharing your experience during your stay with us.
It's also a huge pleasure and honnor to read that your stop in our small paradise was your favourite one. =)
You're right: during the winter season with the lowest marine tide, the millions fishes that surround our island are a bit hidden as they go in higher tide areas during the day but still close to our island. Therefore, we organise complimentary snorkeling guided sessions almost everyday in order to follow the marine life and discover all the beautiful things the lagoon has to share with us.
Around the hotel, in this period, the best option is to wait at sunset time and walk in the coral garden: All the fishes come out! =)

Regarding our beloved sea cucumbers, our Beach Boys take the majority of them each month to bring them in the deep side of the lagoon but they unfortunately come back as quickly as we try to get rid of them. =) Then, as they are part of our ecosystem and as they are the natural filters of our beautiful lagoon, we know that if we have sea cucumbers, the water will be the clearest we can have. =)

Thank you so much for sharing these info with us: we will now try to take more sea cucumbers every month. We know that it is never really comfortable to step on them. =)
Have a lovely day.
With our warmest regards,

Elisabeth & Pierre

Reviewed 1 June 2017

We decided to experence overwater for the first time. We loved it. We stayed beach front and overwater and loved both. I loved being able to feed the fish when ever I chose, let them nibble my feet, when ever I chose. And the reef sharks in the evening were amazing and, no they are not interested in us, but they are beautiful in the water and exciting to watch as you feed the fish (with your feet in the water)!!
The food as amazing! And I really mean this. I am a foodie with way too many allergies and intolerances for me to eat out very often but I was toatally accommodated with all my challenges! I always lose weight on holiday with limited food choises for me but that wasnt the case here! I was very impressed!
We visited the coral garden, which was amazing. We travel to places to spend time in the water snorkling. We have often be disappointed with the lack of coral and fish but not here. It really is a tropcial paradise. Amazing people, beautiful accommodation, incredible surroundings, true decadence that I cant thank you all enough for.
An eagleray come up to me in the water, which gave me a start, but I feel blessed to have had this experience.
Hope to see you all again...... xx

Date of stay: April 2017
3  Thank DianneAngell

Dear D&G =),

Thank you so much for such a nice review! We are so pleased to now that you enjoyed so much your stay with us. And as I told you, Pierre loves new culinary challenges. I can assure you he was pleased to accomodate according to your food diet. =)
We do hope you had a safe trip back to New Zealand.

And hopefully, we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon!
The fish will wait for you. =)

Have a lovely week Diane & G. and thanks again for your review!

Warmest regards,

Elisabeth & Pierre

Reviewed 26 May 2017

All the glowing reviews on this site are 100% well deserved!

For our second stay at Vahine, we chose a Beach Suite (last time it was an OWB 2 years ago) - and really loved the generous space and private deck we had in Fare Ono + a fantastic dead-on view of Bora Bora. PS- no mosquitos.

Vahine Island is truly special; a beautiful paradise that feels like authentic Tahiti mixed with fabulous food and the most wonderful care from the entire staff.

Thanks to the delightful and charming managers (Elizabeth and Pierre) you become a member of the family. Honestly, it's hard to not start planning our third return trip already! The snorkeling excursion with Heiamata (we did it 3X) was one of our favorite highlights this trip.

Maruruu Roa to all at Vahine Island!!

Room tip: Beach Suite is largest room type, with several areas to sit and relax - fab. views, too!
Date of stay: May 2017