“The bar has been raised... take notice.”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Chicago, Illinois
“The bar has been raised... take notice.”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Beloved Hotel 2/20/2012 – 2/26/2012

I stayed at “the Beloved Hotel” from February 20 – 26, 2012 with my girlfriend Tamara to celebrate her birthday and spend some much needed time someplace warm…

From the time we arrived, where we were greeted with sparkling wine and a cool towel to refresh ourselves to the breakfast they prepared for us at checkout (at 5:30 AM that they had waiting in the lobby for us, we had an early flight out of Cancun), we were treated like “rock stars”. I have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts in the past, and a couple in Cancun, but they have truly “raised the bar” for all-inclusive, and especially in Cancun, MX.

We had booked a “junior swim-up suite” and the room is very large, beautifully furnished and appointed. The bathroom was very chic with vessel sinks and granite / marble everywhere actually as an architect by trade, the amount of marble throughout this resort, is incredible, walls, floors, countertops, exterior, interior… it’s used everywhere, and very well done, but more on that later…). The shower was huge with a rain shower head and wall sprays as well.

The bed was super-comfortable, the turn-down service very nice, and the housekeeping staff very attentive and helpful. The room comes with a mini-bar and is re-stocked daily, tell them what you want or don’t want and they will take care of it… The coffee machine in the room was a “Bodum” French-press nice touch, but if you like it strong, make sure you get extra coffee pouches). The room was awesome!

The beach was excellent, a great swimming beach and the beach staff works their butts off for you. You need something, a chair moved, etc… they are right on it. The staff here is AMAZING! I highly recommend paying the $45 USD to reserve a cabana for a day with the round lounging bed. They include a bottle of sparkling wine very good), and a personal server to attend to your needs… well worth it! besides the sun is intense, and the shade is very welcome.

The pool by our swim-up suite was very nice, and was shared with the other rooms on the first floor of our building, and had an in-ground hot tub at each end to use, Very nice. The pool was not heated, but it’s right out side your patio, and the Mexican sun warms it quite well. The main pool by the “Isla Grill”, which is the pool-side outdoor restaurant and bar for lunch and dinner was heated, had a nice hot-tub and a swim-up bar. Sebastian, the bartender was awesome!

Its right at the beach and the lounging beds (NO plastic chairs, all nice wood loungers, and beds with thatched min-paylapas for shade)… are a great way to spend the day. The pool-side and beach servers (Alfredo! the BEST!) will bring you lunch, drinks and snack from the beach-side grill or the “Isla Grill” all afternoon. I highly recommend the wood fire pizza, the steak or shrimp skewers, and especially the grilled catch of the day, the ceviche’ or the octopus salad! AWESOME food! Oh, and all the liquor is top shelf, premium international brands, they got it all!

The outdoor “Lupita Lounge” in the evening is something to really enjoy, totally laid back with fine furniture and lounging beds in an outdoor tropical oasis with free-form fabric roofs and awesome lighting. They had a DJ (not loud, very laid back, “chill-out” music) and/or a live performer (flutist, saxophonist) each night. Very laid back and relaxing, and they were open to 12 AM each night.

They also had fresh, really good sushi made to order at the bar, really excellent! Guillermo, the head bartender is fantastic and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend taking part in the tequila tasting they do on Tuesday evenings (extra $35 USD/per), very good and we tried some serious top-shelf tequilas (some were upwards of $200/bottle)! Not bad! Guillermo ran the tasting the night we were there, but he said it is normally done by the manager. I think Guillermo did an excellent job!

The only buffet is for breakfast at “Aroma” was fabulous, fresh food… great service, and a large variety. One thing to understand… this place is SERIOUS about the food they serve, high quality, very flavorful, interesting and diverse. We attended a “tasting party” with the resorts head chef one evening to sample various dishes centered around a single ingredient (the night they did it, the ingredient was “peanuts”) and I must say it was impressive, and we were able to meet the chef, and talk with him about the dishes and the food overall at the resort. Very nice!

There are three choices for dinner, all ala carte’ and you have to dress for dinner, please check the resort web-site. It is a classy place, and the over-all feeling and vibe is one of elegance and class. I dig it! Anyone of them is a good choice, although I liked the “Isla Grill” in the evening for dinner, they had an excellent menu and wonderful service. The outdoor location near the beach and pool is very nice in the evening. “Lupitas” restaurant adjacent to the lounge is indoors and serves very fine, traditional Mexican cuisine. I liked it! Also “Aroma” which has both indoor and outdoor seating has an excellent menu.

I think, besides the great food, location, BEAUTIFUL property and buildings… the one thing, and most important is the staff and the high level of service. This is not some big, mega-resort. This is truly a smaller, boutique style hotel. You can walk around the grounds during the day, and you fell like you are the only ones there. When we were there, they were 90% booked, but we felt like we owned the place… We had one very, small issue with our room, and after discussing it with the manager… the issue was “resolved” beyond our wildest expectations! I cannot divulge what they did, as I am sworn to secrecy on this matter, but suffice to say… we were “rock stars” for the remainder of our stray!!! :{)}

The Beloved Hotel… ROCKS! Staff, Staff, Staff… Service, Service, Service! Food, amazing and fresh, drinks excellent, the property itself (as an architect by trade, I have a bit of knowledge on this) is absolutely AMAZING and beautiful! Very modern and chic, very CLEAN and immaculately tended to. They have raised the bar!

Oh, and very family, and kid friendly. We do not have children, but they have an extensive and pretty cool Kid’s play area with a pool, with a slide and water features and very accommodating! Watching the kids at the swim-up bar with their parents ordering kiddie cocktails and “virgin” versions of the drink the parents were ordering was really funny, I am sure the bartender, Sebastian agrees… they kept him busier than the adults.

But, this is a great place for both couples and families, it’s not too big to be alone if you want, and when your there you feel like it’s all yours… You gotta consider this place if you are going to Cancun! Done!

10 Thank caymanjim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,154)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This review is about a month overdue, as I like to write reviews when emotions, whether good or bad, subside. It will be a detailed review, so for those who are quickly scanning for key words, here’s my verdict in a sentence: this hotel is beautiful and has amazing potential to strip away all things stressful, but if you come at the wrong time the ‘wow’ bubble can burst. Yes, I am referring to children. At the moment, this can be a disappointing place for honeymooners unless changes are made by the hotel.

As for families, I will venture out and say this hotel is ideal (if you prefer slow-moving, relaxing vacations) and I would not hesitate to recommend it to most of my friends with kids. Most families who have been to other FAMILY all inclusives will probably agree that this is a true gem with a luxurious touch.

Mine is not the first review which mentions the hotel's 'identity crisis' and its inability to ensure couples' relaxation, and I have to agree with all the other reviewers who did so. I applaud you, as well, because I always have a hard time criticizing a place I found so great otherwise, but honesty should be the number one priority on tripadvisor – this is not a promotion site after all. So I can absolutely confirm that at the time we were at The Beloved (mid February), the place probably was not full of families, but it sure felt like it. Not all week, mind you, and there are quiet places, but for a couple who came to this hotel seeking total relaxation, we came away a bit disappointed.

Our only benchmark for a Mexico resort is the Adults Only El Dorado Maroma (EDM) at roughly the same price point (Toronto, Canada departure). In many respects this hotel is better than EDM - newer, crisper, relaxed dress code (though at times too much), not to mention Lupita Lounge, which was fantastic. EDM did win out on the drinks – whimsical, with freshly squeezed juices, unlike the syrupy stuff they serve at The Beloved. Top shelf liquor is not a problem however.

So what ‘ruined’ part of our stay?
- There would be more kids (and spilled drinks) floating in the ONLY swim-up pool than adults;

- The resort is very small so if you’re in a casita (ground floor) you will hear kids from the pool, Isla Grill and even the beach (and when I say ‘hear’, I don’t mean the otherwise pleasant kids laughter when at play, I mean yelling and crying);

- There were kids late into the night half or fully asleep at Lupita Lounge, sitting on the barstools where no kid should be;

- Our anniversary dinner (8 :00 pm) at Lupita Restaurant was not so romantic with cranky kids, some still barefoot, whining as they should be since they are way past their bedtime and the parents didn’t seem to notice;

- There were excited kids at the spa (heck, I was excited myself doing the Aqua Viva), so tranquility went out the window. I could go on, but I think that covers my main point.

Would I return to The Beloved? As a family – absolutely. If the hotel made an effort to give both families and couples their separate spaces – definitely.

Why? Because The Beloved offers stunning architecture, great rooms including an amazing shower (there is a reason why everyone raves about it!), 24 hour room service that is better than average, good to great food in 3 restaurants plus a refreshing grill option (we ordered something special from the chef and that exceeded our expectations), and excellent service – it is absolutely true that the staff don’t know the meaning of the word ‘no’. Emails prior to arrival are answered, as most other requests, from special drinks to meals, to making your room more comfortable (though the beds are not the best even with the mattress topper).

There is also something to be said when you walk on the beach next door in front of Excellence, which is really not that big at 600 rooms, and then breathe a sigh of relief that you’re at The Beloved where there is a fraction of the number of people. The marina next door is a nice walk, as well as the beach walk north of the resort which seemingly goes on for hours. Yes, you will see seaweed and garbage north of The Beloved and Excellence, but it is still incredible and you will be alone – a rare commodity in the crowded Cancun area.

Since to our dismay the hotel did not solicit feedback upon our departure and told us to go to Tripadvisor or Twitter (did the Tripadvisor awards get to their heads I wonder? ;), here are a few suggestions which would make couples like us come back, in our opinion:

- designate the swim-up pool as adults only and encourage families to use the kids pool (open a bar for parents next door which is currently idle)

- keep the bars truly open till midnight and Lupita entertainment till 11 pm (as the schedule said every night but was never fulfilled)

- designate ONE of the restaurants, preferably Lupita which is self-contained and more formal, as adults only after 7 pm for romantic and quiet dinners; not to mention that the Lupita bar area should be adults only (though I question the parents here, not the hotel – would you bring your kid to a bar at night and sit them next to drinkers and smokers back home?)

Lastly, to end this novel-size review, we would like to thank the staff, as others have done, for a job well done. We tried to tip equitably and daily to show our appreciation. A few words in Spanish wouldn’t hurt either if you’d like to make a human connection. Chances are you will not want to leave the resort, so for a quick 1-2 hour getaway, take a $25 taxi (return) to the nearby El Meco ruins ($3.5 fee) and the hotel's tiny but free bird ‘sanctuary’ on your way back, ending with climbing the 'tower' for a view of the marina. As for the ruins, you will be underwhelmed if you’ve seen the big ones (Chichen Itza, Tulum) but totally overjoyed at being totally alone at an ancient site! El Meco is still relatively unknown. Hotel arranges the taxi so it is very safe; taxi even waits for you while you stroll the El Meco grounds.

Hope this was helpful to some and reassuring to others. Feel free to chat me up if you need specifics or, dare I say after this written manifesto, more info.

Room Tip: Thanks to the concierge, we requested and were granted a room with a great view : Consentida 2. For...
9 Thank WorldTravelover
Albany, NY
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Just returned. Absolutely amazing. I really don't care for all inclusives but the food was good and they give you top shelf liquor. Rooms beautiful (the showers are dreamy!), grounds immaculate, and the service is impeccable. Not one person had a bad attitude. All had smiles and were very nice. Spa is honestly like nothing ever before. There was seaweed on the beach but it was fine, not bad at all. I can see how people complained about the swim up rooms for lack of privacy but as I didn't have one, can't really say for sure. Even if you get the basic "garden view" room, it will be well worth it as the grounds are so beautiful. Best Day transportation was also great. The Beloved far exceeded our expectations and I will be going back. It's the perfect place to relax and unwind and there are there to please!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank RDLWT
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

What an amazing place - Great Location, Great Food and best of all Amazing Staff!!! Get to know Pablo at the Isla Grill - Super Guy. Alfredo on the beach was also very cool and attentive. While our travel agency warned us about how expensive a private sailing excursion would be the Beloved's super Concierge service hooked us up with a perfect 3 hour cruise sailing out of the marina next door at about the same price as one of those "too many noisy tourists" scenarios. Treat the staff right and they will treat you like royalty. We are going back next year! It was perfection.

Room Tip: Book a two story oceanview/front suite
3 Thank UncleRonRiding
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I always find it interesting to read the things that some reviewers complain about. To be honest, it is very difficult for me to think about a single thing to complain about at La Amada (The Beloved).

The grounds of the resort, the decor of the rooms and restaurant and the beach are all absolutely breathtaking. There is a sort of "continuation of the beach" feel throughout the grounds with small plants and large palms set in shallow white sand that was unique and refreshing to look at. The rooms were beautiful with an all-white chic style that is continued throughout the resort. The beach was intimate and relaxing. The sand at the edge of the water was cleaned every morning and the ocean was an inviting clear blue (although not as bright of a turquoise as some other locales).

The service was absolutely inviting and friendly. I'm sure it's part of their training, but every single staff member from housekeeping to waiters to concierges to groundskeepers all smile at you when you walk by and offer a friendly "Hola" or "Buenos Dias". The service on the beach was just as fast as you'd want it when you're trying to relax and forget about the daily stresses you left back home. They make an effort to remember you and the drinks that you like. The servers at the restaurants were as good as any professional and were more than happy to have the kitchen accommodate special requests (including combination dinners such as steak and lobster instead of two separate orders).

Which brings me to the food. Wow. The food. We were so delighted by the selection, presentation, quality and taste of the food. There seemed to be a little something for everyone on each menu at each restaurant. All of the food was very fresh and gave the impression that it was reasonably healthy. There was even a number of vegetarian selections on each menu. The menus changed a little bit between lunch and dinner and day-to-day which made it tough to get bored of what was offered. We frequented the salad bar at La Isla Grill at lunch time, and loved the lobster there in the evening. They have it on the menu as Lobster Thermidor (oven cooked), but you can also order it from the grill which was fantastic. Every dish is presented as you would see in a high-end restaurant with delicious sauces and beautiful garnishes. The drinks were also great. Even drinks that can sometimes be over-sweet were made "just right" at La Amada. The liquor is all premium brands and the bartenders seem to really know what they're doing. We recommend trying the liqueur made from the Anise plant. A pleasant surprise made from local ingredients.

If I had to pick out a negative aspect of the hotel, it would be a repetition of other reviewers' opinions of the mattresses. They are very firm. For those that like it, that would be great, but if you prefer something softer, you can ask for them to add a pad which is no trouble at all. The hot water was only rusty colored at first. If you let it run for a minute and drain, it is totally clear afterward allowing for a very relaxing jacuzzi soak.Despite what other reviewers have said, all three large pools are heated, but the main pool (with the swim up bar) is warmer than the other two.

There were kids around, but I like kids so I didn't find them "annoying". They're just being themselves and enjoying their surroundings the way that kids do.

We lucked out when we booked and found a "Super Saver" rate which gave the resort that much more value for our money. We would absolutely love to return if we can afford it again in the future. We're confident the staff would even remember us. They're that good.

If only the resort had their own weather-controlling machine. For part of our stay, it was very windy and quite cool. It made it less inviting to sit on the beach all day, but by no means made the trip unpleasant, nor can it be blamed on the resort itself.

La Amada will remain "Beloved" in our hearts for a long time, and as I said above we would be thrilled to be able to return some day.

Room Tip: All rooms have at least a jacuzzi. Building #3 is closest to the beach, aside from the Casitas.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JeremyAndLeanne
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We are a couple, seeking relaxation.

Overall the experience was fantastic, and we did not want to leave.

Important Tips:
1. Immediately request the pillow-top mattress. Without the bed was depressingly hard, but with it, the bed was great.
2. Have them remove the shag carpets in the room. They were a bit nasty.
3. Eat lunch on the beach. The food and service are both better.

Highlights:
The service and spa were the best we've ever experienced (within this price range). Yes, it is true that every massage includes an additional incredible and unique 1 hour guided hydrotherapy session. The maid service was fantastic, and I love how they make your room feel so relaxing in the turn-down service.

Rooms:
Overall very nice and large. The bathroom was incredibly nice, especially the enormous shower. We had an "ocean view" room, which is in the same buildings as the swim-up rooms but on higher floors. The primary view was of the children's playground which was certainly disappointing but not a major factor for us. The hot water in the room was brownish yellow, as though the hot water heater is rusting. This made the jacuzzi pretty nasty and unusable. Generally you do get the sense that things are made to look nice for the camera but up close are cheap. Plenty of stains and scuff marks on the couch, ottoman and footstools, which were all a very thin piece of leather over a solid block of wood (maybe all white was a bad choice?).

Food:
Breakfast - service was bad except for Concepcion who was great. Large variety of wonderful homemade pastries. Lots of different types of juices and smoothies that were fun to try. Coffee drinks were excellent. Fantastic bacon (must be requested): greasy and delicious. We liked the a la carte items as well.
Lunch - shrimp fajitas, homemade pizzas, all different types of skewers were all great. Fish tacos and salmon burritos were bad. Again, service and food at beach was great, and plus you don't have to move (restaurant was so-so).
Dinner - overall very good food at all 3 restaurants. Excellent service. Lupita had a cool style: very nice modern decor and reasonably creative modern Mexican food. It did, however, have a more formal vibe, which was a little bit of a downer when our primary goal was relaxation. We liked the informal Isla grill better which does a nice Lobster Thermador (though small portion) and has a decent Tuna steak with a delicious sauce. We didn't expect the third restaurant Aroma (?) to be as good since it was eclectic fare and where the occasional dinner buffet is held. However, we ended up liking it as well quite a bit.
Room-Service: do it. Food and service was great.
Drinks: perfect. Definitely top shelf liquor. Didn't drink beer or wine.

Atmosphere:
Overall we found the trip very relaxing. However, they cater to two types of people which are not very compatible: couples seeking romance and relaxation and families with young children. These are the two groups that don't fit in at the neighboring party-heavy Excellence, but sadly they don't belong together either. The kids dominate the nicest pool which is also the only heated one, and we routinely found the water there to be polluted with spilled drinks: very nasty! Fortunately we really liked the two colder pools and found that temperature to also be very refreshing. This water was way too cold for kids and generally these pools were quite private and beautiful (also with jacuzzis for those seeking warmer waters). The beach was also wonderful and quiet while we were there.

Needs improvement:
The brown, rusty hot water in the guest rooms. The resort has an identity crisis between catering to couples seeking quiet and kids seeking fun. Much more should be done to effectively segregate these groups.

Room Tip: Go with oceanview or penthouse. Swim-up and plunge pool rooms are less private and water is cold.
NYC
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I'm torn about writing this review because there were parts of our stay that were outstanding. Yet parts were less than satisfactory.

Overall, the hotel is beautifully designed -- modern, chic, elegant and clean without feeling cold or uptight. The highlights are Lupita's Lounge with fantastic cocktails, excellent service and live music, as well as the formal restaurant. Then there's the SPA! Quite frankly, it's one of the nicest I've ever been to, and the service was top notch. I cannot recommend the Agua Vida therapy highly enough! It was relaxing, restorative, and unique, and the service was outstanding.

However, there were many more families (kids) than we anticipated. We had the impression that Beloved (formerly La Amada) catered more to couples/adults, so we were very surprised to see the pools literally packed with rather noisy children. We never even ventured into them; instead we used the pool in our suite and went to the beach and spa. We were just on a weekend getaway, but had we been celebrating something special or on a honeymoon looking for an adult atmosphere, I would have been disappointed. (Honeymooners, take note.)

The cleanliness of our room was also somewhat questionable. We found food in the carpet on arrival, an earring in the bed sheets, and the water from the tap in the jacuzzi was too discolored to use. However, the hotel manager was quick to respond, and offered a spa treatment and sent champagne to our room to smooth things over. Those issues aside, the turndown service with nightly reminders about upcoming daily events and special touches like sprigs of rosemary on the pillow were thoughtful and elegant. The bath products offered were very high quality, but the mattress was not particularly comfortable for this caliber of hotel.

In general, the staff was very friendly and eager to please - if a little slow on return visits to tables at the restaurants. The vibe was very relaxing, as long as we avoided the areas with children. In terms of value, Beloved exceeded our expectations for an all-inclusive deal -- the food was excellent, drinks were delicious and making special requests for either were never a problem.

In fact, we chose to tip each time we received excellent service and food/drinks, but I got the impression that wasn't always standard practice among the guests. In my opinion, tips were appropriate and appreciated, and the overall value was so great that the tips were not a hardship. I hope other guests will follow suit.

In terms of location, we didn't realize how far Beloved was from, well, anything. If you intend to be active in any way (whether it's cultural excursions or nightlife), be aware that the hotel is about a 25 min drive from Cancun, and then it's more travel from there for any activities. We visited Chichen Itza one day which we highly recommend, but it was 2+ hours of travel each way. We also went to Xplor, which was a lot of fun, but again, there was a lot of time spent on a bus. However, you could easily spend your entire vacation at the hotel and not be bored.

Overall, we had a great time and would consider returning based on the excellent service at the bars and restaurants and the spa. But the number of families and kids could be a deterrent in the future.

Room Tip: The suites with "private" pools may not be worth the extra price -- most of them face a pu...
6 Thank Jules26NYC
Secrets The Vine Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!