“The Beloved even better a year on”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
NY
“The Beloved even better a year on”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We just returned and was really happy to see how it was even better than before. We were welcomed back by Edgar who took our bags to our room amd Pablo in the Grill, both made us feel very welcome.

Service was good last year but even better this year. Housekeeping is the best I have encountered: unobtrusive and amazing attention to detail.

The waiters and waitresses worked so hard and were very obliging. Service at meals was quicker than last year, although it was not a problem then. Sandra, Conception, Consuela, Jimmy, Eduardo and Ivan were super helpful.

Food was good: breakfasts were soooooooo good - tasty, great choice. Loved the fruit of the day and the inventive number of ways it was prepared. The Mexican egg options were delicious too. It is the most interesting breakfast buffet I have encountered.

There is a new salad bar at the Isla grill that offered a wide choice of fresh and delicious options. The new beachfront restaurant El Mar offered a nice, relaxed alternative for lunch.

Dinner at all restaurants was good . My only complaint was only being allowed to order glasses of wine for room service, unless you wanted to pay for a bottle. As we have young kids we ordered room service a few nights and a bottle of the all inclusive wine would have been a nicer touch than ordering four glasses.

Our kids are 5 years old and they loved the Kids Club Africa and Wendy do a fabulous job entertaining them. The kids had a great time doing crafts activities, playing in the kids pool and they even had a pedicure - my five year olds thought they were in heaven!

As the kids were being entertained my husband and I managed to go the gym. It was really well equipped with Kinesis equipment as well as all the usual gym stuff. One morning we went on a bike ride with Jorges which was good fun, it was nice to see a bit of the golf course and the parrots that live by the resort entrance.

We stayed in a casita Hermosa 3 - lovely location and views.

I hope to return this is a beautiful place that is immaculate. The staff really make it special. I hope it stays this way. My only regret is I was so busy relaxing I did not get around to using the spa.....hopefully next year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank spring1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,108)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
salt lake city
Reviewed 7 May 2012

A perfect 5 stars. The hotel experience was exceptional. My family of 10 people ranging from 11 years of age to 78, stayed in 4 units. I was impressed by the modern and very clean facilities. The trip was fantastic because of the amazing service. All employeesworked so hard to satisfy my family's needs, especially the beach and the restaurant employees. They were always smiling and attentive. The hotel is all inclusive but the food quality was top rate. You dont' have to stand in line for buffets except for the breakfast. I would go back for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank friendSaltLakeCity
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We just returned from a trip to Playa Mujeres staying both at this resort which was great and next door at the Excellence which I have also reviewed and is AMAZING.

This resort is beautiful and clean. It is very modern looking and stark. We stayed in a beach front casita....the room was beyond beautiful and we had a rooftop pool which was amazing. We chose to sleep on the outside bed, next to the pool one, night under the stars which was awesome. The inside bed was pretty hard. My main complaint regarding the room is I would not consider it beachfront. We stayed in Casita Bella and it sits back from the beach, I envisioned being right on the beach and this was not the case. The only "true" beachfront Casitas are Hermosa and Consentida...if you look on the map, you will see these as buildings 15 and 16. I do not know if these are more expensive but they do not appear to be so I would certainly request one of these. I was disappointed for paying $500/night for our room and not being on the beach. I did ask if we could change rooms but the other casitas were booked, they sent a bottle of champage and chocolate covered strawberries for my disappointment. That being said I would certainly recommend a casita if you can get one of the true beachfront units. Also, we only used our plunge pool a couple of times for a quick dip. It was pretty cold.

The service here is amazing. I did not like that the majority of vacationers did not tip, actually it made me upset. The staff work sooo hard and we heard they only make a few hundred dollars a month so tips make a huge difference in their lives. They did not expect it but were very appreciative. We took a couple of hundred dollars in US ones and tipped with each drink and at every meal. I think anyone who can afford to stay in this nice of a resort should really feel obligated to tip these amazing workers...they deserve it!

The food here was very, very good. I think if you were staying an entire week or more, the food may get a little repetitious since there are only a few restaurants. I will say that we had our best meal of our entire vacation at the Isla Grill. Amazing steak and tuna!! The sushi bar was fabulous. We weren't huge fans of the breakfast buffet, as it was not a typical american breakfast but I will say that they went above and beyond and would make anything we requested. So we went with ordering omelets and they were great! Had pizza and salad poolside which we loved.

We played tennis each morning and the tennis courts are actually next door at the Excellence so that was a bit of a hike. Never had a problem finding chairs at the beach or pool although the beachbeds at the beach were taken with towels but often wouldn't see anyone sitting in them all day which was annoying. You can reserve for a fee the private huts on the beach which were $40-60 a day. The beach was a bit windy and I actually loved the wind because it kept the temperature perfect. The main pool is set so it does not seem to get windy. The temperature of the water is nice and it never was crowded. The guy at the swimup bar hardly ever had customers.

OK, about kids. This is where I was very leary after so many complaints popped up after I had booked. Apparently they just changed this to a kid friendly resort. Yes, there were kids. The resort is very small so it is not like you can avoid them. We went when it was typically not a time when kids are out on break so mainly we encountered small non school age children. Never once were we disturbed by any of them. But you never know...I think this could make or break your vacation if you get a few rowdy, bratty ones. They did use the main pool which would be nice if they made it an adult only pool especially since there is a swimup bar. Typically, we go on these nice vacations and leave our kids at home so that being said, we will probably only return to couples only resorts like the Excellence next door. But if you are bringing children and you want a nice quiet relaxful place this may be the place for you. There is a kids club but I never checked it out.

The spa was amazing. We had the aqua viva treatment which was included with our room and I highly recommend it! All in all, it was an amazing stay.

Room Tip: Beachfront casitas are amazing but only four of the units are true beachfront. Plunge pools are nic...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bjhudson97
NYC
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This place is a FOUR AND A HALF. My husband and I went on a trip to The Beloved (when it was still La Amada) in October 2011. The ground were beautiful and the service was amazing. We stayed in the two story beach front casita and the views and private pool were well worth the little extra money. The service there is amazing.

I was shocked at how delicious the food was only because we opted for the all inclusive option. Really delicious. We also did a tequila tasting which was informative and fun.

Our stay was short, but we were able to find time to indulge in the spa services. It's the best spa we've been to while on vacation. I highly suggest their Agua viva and their chlorophyll drink. Very detoxing after all those coronas!

My husband left his wallet at the restaurant by accident and it got stolen -- the head of the security stayed on top of it even after we left the restaurant and they found the wallet in the garden between the two resorts. They were very attentive and brought it back to us as soon as they recovered it. I also loved that the housekeepers would leave us little notes if we forgot to put valuable items in the safe. It's small gestures like these that help this hotel stand out.

The only reason my review is not 5 stars is two things. One is the nightlife. There aren't many options at the resort, but if it's relaxation you want, then it's not a problem. The other are the ants. It's to be expected in a climate like Mexico and it was definitely not a really big issue. But if we did leave anything damp on the table or an open soda can we would find a handful of ants around it after an hour.

We will definitely be going back in October this year. I highly recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LoveLuxuriousTravel
North Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Took my Wife and 2 year old Daughter for a quick four night getaway direct from Fort Lauderdale. We booked the whole thing through their website which is hard to find, but it's there and worked out cheaper than other websites!! Even booked private transfers through the hotel which made it even more stress free. Try to book early flights in and late flights out to maximize your time there....
The hotel and room are fantastic, food was varied and good quality. We only booked the cheapest Jr suite, but that was huge for the three of us with a massive shower and we had a nice balcony with daybed overlooking one of the unheated pools. There was a sofa bed in the room for our Daughter and we asked for a king sized bed which was very firm, so we asked for a soft bedtop, which helped a lot. The main pool and the beach is where we mainly spent our time, with lunch inbetween overlooking the pool. The main pool is heated and there is the swim up bar that opens at 11am just incase you realize your on holidays and a margarita or mojito might go down well. Although the barmen behind the wetbar needed happy pills....Pizzas on the beach were disappointing as they were not cooked properly, infact dough was still soggy and toppings very cooked, so not sure what happened there, but it happened twice as we were hoping it was a one off situation, no big deal though, we just had the fish dishes which were always fresh. Breakfast is great, with a huge healthy buffet and ordered specialties. Lunch at the Grill bar was always the favourite though. The rest of the staff were brilliant, very friendly and helpful. Especially PABLO, who went out of his way to be genuinely friendly and it made our holiday!! Look out for him and see if he can service you....
If your into wines, then you can purchase good wines, but if you don't want to buy anything seeing how your at an all-inclusive, stick to the cocktails or beer. The included wines were quite average.
Our Daughter had the best time with us spending hours swimming in the pool which was never crowded, infact the whole place seemed very uncrowded, or maybe once when everyone turned up for lunch at the same time, but the beach area is very uncrowded and you can find a couple of chaise lounges under a thatched cover and even a large round lounge.
It fitted the bill nicely, we just wanted a relaxing stress free time to swim and relax and we would go back for a week in a heart beat, infact the day of departure, we swam until 11am, packed, had our last lunch and was wisked away to the airport by our private SUV transfer (approx 25 mins run) Didn't want to leave. Like some of the other reviews, bring some USD and tip if the service is good, they really appreciate it.
Thanks

Room Tip: Ask for a matress top to soften it. Way too hard. Junior suite were good value and very large with...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank grantlee
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Wow...just what we were looking for...great food, relaxing atmosphere and excellent service...all wrapped in an architectural gem. We enjoy a smaller more intimate setting and this did not disappoint. The spa experience was the best I've had...try the aqua massage...alternating from cold to heat...incredible. The only negative was the beach, not as nice for swimming as other parts of the yucatan. We did a day trip to isla mujeres and rented a golf cart and drove around the island, was well worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MotoMoto2364
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2012

It has taken me one month to fire off this review. My husband and I spent 7 nights at the Beloved in March. By category, here is my review:

1. Transportation to the Hotel: We aren't huge fans of the over-crowded and uncomfortable mini-van scene. Through this website, I decided to arrange for a private transfer to our hotel. I called ahead of time and spoke with the Concierge and they set us up with a company that picked us up in a luxury SUV both to and from the Airport. Best 150.00 we have ever spent. Not only did we get there faster, we left later on our way home. No other people. Heaven.

2. Arrival @ the Beloved: I was a tad underwhelmed when I arrived. The lobby is small and not all that impressive. The people at the front desk, while nice, weren't all that special. As a manager, I'd want my very best people greeting guests. They could improve this area. Having said that, we lucked out when Christian took us to our room....he was delightful and friendly. I gave him a laundry list of tasks (mostly suggestions from this website.....love tripadvisor!) and voila....each and every task was completed within an hour.....impressive. I think I may have told Christian that I was tired at one point cause after we got back from checking out the resort, the room was all prepped for an afternoon nap. (drapes drawn, my new mattress topper in place, the sheets drawn....all at 3 pm in the afternoon) Impressive.

3. Our Room: We stayed in a Penthouse Suite. Goodness it was spectacular. Huge. All marble flooring. Two bathrooms. A wrap around deck. I loved this room. We had a view of a Marina (we are boaters....and very much enjoyed the "comings and goings" in the Marina) and a view of the Ocean. I never heard a soul in the adjoining rooms. Heaven.

4. The Restaurants/Food: Well.....I have to say....this part of our vacation was "hit or miss". The breakfast at Aroma's was not great. A breakfast buffet without bacon? Now you can order bacon....but it tasted like it have been cooked long ago. The fish taco's at lunch down at the Isla Grill were "to die for". Dinner was hit or miss. The expensive looking 5 star Mexican restaurant at Lupita's was actually very good...but portions were small. The buffet at Aroma's restaurant for dinner was consistently poor. Variety was limited and even the dishes they had cooked had very little quantity. The Isla Grill for dinner was excellent one night and awful another. Not sure what else to say here.

5. The Service at these restaurants, on the otherhand was generally excellent. A server at the ocean front restaurant named Pablo was amazing. Loved this man. He was genuinely lovely and caring. The room service we ordered for breakfast a few days was excellent. The only exception to the excellent service came in the form of a lady working at the sushi/bar.....I have to say in all my years of travelling, I have never come across such bad service. We waited for 30 minutes for her to take our drink order. it was almost like she was intentionally not serving us. We finally gave up and got our own drinks. And even after she saw us doing that she never came over to see if we wanted anything else. Disappointing considering the rest of the resort.

6. The Spa..........ahhhhhhh.........the spa. Painted entirely in white, it oozed relaxation. The Agua Viva part of the spa treatment is nothing short of amazing. I was sketical, but I tried it and fell in love. I would do this everyday if I had known how envigorating it was. I had 2 massages. One was the Solapi Massage and this was very nice. It encompassed warm and cold stones....it ended too quickly! I had a muscle soother massage after a rough day deep sea fishing and, I swear, the therapist almost killed me. Alas, all the pain was worth it....I was recovered the next morning.

7. The Kids. I have to say, I was worried about this. We generally try to avoid resorts with children....after all, vacations are supposed to be relaxing. For nearly all of our vacation, the kids were very well behaved. Pinch me. Except the last morning. At 5 a.m., I almost fell out of bed to the loudest screaming. I staggered to the deck and there they were, 4 of the most obnoxious, annoying screaming children on their deck with their "father". Needless to say, he did nothing to keep them quiet. I agree with other reviewers, the management should I think re-consider allowing children or, at the very least, deal with children who detract from the serene atmosphere.

8. I got the feeling that the resort did not have enough staff. It took me a couple of days, but I realized that there was only one served all day taking drink orders at the 2 pools and beach. This poor soul ran off her feet. it tooks us forever to get a drink and mostly we just went up and got it ourselves. Also, there were hardly any bars open....only one the entire holiday. Service was good but slow. We have come to expect delays while on holiday's so I didn't feel this took anything away from our experience (except the Sushi bar lady!). Our maid was phenomenal....we never saw her, but our room was always done up even if we were gone for just one hour.

9. Overall Impression: I have thought alot about the number of stars I have given this resort. It has a lot of potential in terms of service, food and atmosphere. There are several shining stars at this hotel in each of these areas and I think if Management were to address those areas that are a bit "dull", this place would be a keeper.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 180 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,383 reviews
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!