“Disappointed...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Farningham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Before I start I will say that we tend to have pretty bad luck with weather on our holidays... Oct 12 Florida H. Sandy - Apr 13 Tobago a week of rain, and now Mexico 9th Nov 13 four days of torrential rain that flooded part of our room. Not the hotels fault but the management of the problem certainly was. It took four phone calls and three trips to the front desk over approx 4 house to get anyone to help us. We ended up moving next door to The Excellence (separate review to follow).
As to the Hotel itself, it could gave been perfect but fell short of the mark. Our two story beachfront casita was mis described. Please see attached photos of our view. Not beachfront, not even beach view. The room on arrival stank of mold and had to be sprayed with air freshener twice to mask it. It was however, comfortable and well equipped. Room and maid service excellent. The food was generally very good and the serving staff attentive and friendly.
The beach was a disappointment and the arrangement of the loungers felt cramped. The beach front cabanas were fabulous (extra cost) but they obscured the view of the "free" beds.
Our room issue and the weather has probably soured my view of The Beloved but on balance (cost, description, reviews, expectations) I can only rate this hotel as average.

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank nsbuga
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Beloved Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,074)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Best resort we had ever been to. Extremely well appointed, our room was amazing; so spacious and comfortable. The balcony also added an additional sitting space with a large day bed to relax on and enjoy the wonderful sea view. The all inclusive package was excellent value for money and the food was of a high standard. The Manager knew our names and asked for our feedback on the resort as we were checking out.
I have already recommended The Beloved to friends and I am hoping to be able to re visit it in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

My wife and I escaped for our 10th anniversary for 2 nights to the Beloved Hotel at the beginning of December 2013. We’ve been to many places in the Caribbean and this was our third trip to Mexico. We booked the Beloved because it has good reviews on TA and the room looked amazing on the website, exactly what we needed for our quick romantic getaway.

While I would not return to this property I hope the good and bad of this review helps TA members make good vacation choices! If you have any questions please message me.

Beach:
The beach is small and filled with chairs. Waiter service was frequent and they would bring around small tapas and locally made fruitcicles from time to time. You could order food to the beach which was great also. Everyone loves little snacks! The water is lovely.

The problem with the beach is the smell from the water treatment plant. I dont know how often the winds go this way but ⅔ days there was a foul odor. At first we thought it was the seaweed rotting or something (they rake that up frequently) but we learned that it was a nearby water treatment plant. One day we stayed at the beach and just got used to it but the other was too much and so we stayed off the beach.

Pool:
The main pool is large and shaded during part of the day. The pool bar was staffed by Perfecto who did a great job.

Rooms:
From their website:
With our luxurious Two-story Beachfront Casita Suites you’ll be living literally at the beach
Each of these spacious casitas features a private rooftop terrace all for yourself
Rooftop terrace features: Private plunge pool, shower and lounge bed

While there are 7 ‘beachfront’ casitas, in reality only 2 of them come close to being beachfront and even those are a stretch as they have quite some distance between them and the beach. The room we were first put in had another casita between it and the beach. Carina Martinez, Guest Service Manager claimed it was just the category of room, not that they were all actually beachfront. She also said because we booked through expedia that we would have to take it up with them but she would move us for the 2nd night. Our second night we moved forward one casita which was better but still not beachfront.

The roof top terraces are nice but they are not private. There is not even a curtain to pull across. The ‘plunge pool’ is a hot tub filled with cold water and we did not use it. It is not a plunge pool. This was disappointing. The ground level one floor suites did have pools.

There is also a little balcony off the first level that was lovely in the building closer to the beach where we overlooked the pool / beach. In our first room the view from the balcony was a path and the back of the buildings in front of us - we didn’t use it.

The room itself was fine; a fairly large open space ending in a balcony and stairs to the top level. There was a couch and wall mounted TV. The bed was extremely hard. There was a pillowtop thing there but it was a twin or queen so didn’t cover the whole bed ;). The shower was spacious with rain, hand, and wall mounted heads. A tiled in nook for towels and bench are a nice touch. The toilet has a frosted glass door rather than a floor to ceiling door.

Food and Drink:
Room service was quick and I loved the private transfer boxes. Each room has a mini fridge filled with various name brand beverages (bottles of coke, fanta, corona, etc) and some snacks (snickers, potato chips, oreos). There is also a single serve espresso machine. The liquor collection was impressive with full sized unopened bottles of tequila, rum, vodka, gin and both red and white wine. My wife and I tend to drink sparkling wine which they served at all bars and by the bottle through room service. While room service is 24h the menu fluctuates and it was irritating not to be able to order guacamole & chips @ 1030am instead of 11 because they were on breakfast.

Breakfast was good with several choices - made to order eggs/omelettes, a buffet, or a fixed menu. Lunch we ate down by the beach restaurant and stuck to the classics; fajitas, pizzas, etc. Dinners were good - I’m not much of a foodie but my wife was pleased so thats pretty good :).

Weddings:
There was a wedding one night we were there. Apparently this is a frequent thing. While I’m sure it was a lovely reception It was irritating to be forced to listen to their music/noise throughout the resort. I like YMCA as much as the next guy and will conga if I must but blaring music outdoors late into the night is not what I expected for my vacation.

Etc:
Wifi was included and signal strength was excellent. We used it at the pool, beach, and in room. We used the private transportation provided by the hotel and that was a good experience.

BOTTOM LINE:

I would not return here. Misrepresenting rooms is inappropriate and I hope they change the names to accurately reflect what they are.

The smell from the water treatment plant ruined the beach and even if that doesn’t happen very often I can’t play stinkbomb roulette with my precious vacation time.

Room Tip: There are no beach front rooms, only some rooms marginally closer than others.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank x00x
Thank you for having chosen The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

The hotel is truly an amazing architectural wonder. Many many small touches that indicate a lot of care and thoughtfulness. I had a great experience in the Spa with the Beloved massage and Aqua Viva...Aqua Viva is not to be missed. The staff is incredibly friendly..everyone greets you with an OLA and smile. My turn down senorita even gave me a very sweet little goodnight hug (I am a 76 year old granny!). I would suggest that after you check in, ask to have someone come back from reception and give a more complete tour of your room...there are many wonderful touches and it would be helpful to have them from the beginning after you unpack. I especially enjoyed breakfast in my room on my patio...perfect poached eggs, Beloved version of English muffin, great coffee. Room service operator was very helpful. Loved eating on the beach at La Mar...gazpacho and Caesar Salad were perfect lunch and also enjoyed short ribs...Wait staff Jose and Alberto were always welcoming and prompt with service. I was sad to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for any room on upper floor to get ocean view. I had Bonita 1 with limited ocean view and no dir...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We loved this place! We stayed from 30 Nov - 10 Dec and got married there (just the two of us). I would have given it a 5 stars with no hesitation had it not been for the couple of negative things that occurred during our stay.

We got the usual champagne on arrival, check-in was quite swift, then we were taken to our penthouse suite (room 241) and given a tour of it. It was so big we needed one! The suite was LOVELY, with a separate living room, 3 outside beds on the terrace, double shower, two toilets, kitchen, fridge filled with drinks (and re-stocked every day).

The weather was brilliant for us, with the odd 30 second shower! Food was great at all the restaurants but most of all the breakfasts were our favourite part! All you can eat and even think of eating for breakfast! We stuffed our faces each morning! We spent most of our time sunbathing on our terrace until the sun disappeared around the building at about 2pm then went and had lunch, then sat on the beach and then went back to the room for a snooze/shower and then off out for dinner. Our plunge pool was great. Although on one day is got too HOT! I couldn't even get in it it was so hot. So we settled for cold water as they couldn't seem to get a happy medium which was fine for us seeing as it was so warm there anyway!

The beach was ok... I saw nicer beaches on Isla Mujeres (I recommend a day trip there and hiring a golf buggy to drive around the island although hire it for more than an hour so you have time to stop at a couple of places). There was a lot of sea-grass on the beach at the Beloved which they did try and clear up each day. I don't know if it is always like this at this time of year as when we went onto Florida Keys afterwards it was the same there and we were told that that's what happens at this time of the year.

We also went shopping on a couple of evenings to Plaza Las Americas and La Isla Shopping Mall. We preferred the latter as we didn't find much at the first one although that was what concierge recommended to us. We liked the fact that the taxi driver waits for you! (Although the second taxi driver to La Isla Mall got pulled over by the cops, we assume for speeding, so it took a while for us to get back!)

Our wedding was on the 5th December which for us, was lovely. I had a hair trial in the salon a couple of days before and the stylist was PAINFUL. I can't recall her name but she damaged my hair extensions a little and was so rough I wanted to cry at times. I told her it hurt and she didn't ease up. I was all for cancelling the appointment for the wedding day but when I called up the receptionist told me they'd get another stylist to do it. And I'm so glad I didn't cancel and went with someone else! Fanilu was AMAZING! And a true artist in her styling work! And a lovely lady too! So thank you again Fanilu!!!!! I was a little worried at how nice the ceremony area would look, just being the two of us and not being able to afford expensive decorations and was also a little concerned about it being so close to people sunbathing. But it was all over so quickly that we didn't even notice. No one came to help me into my dress meaning that we didn't get to do our "first look" pictures as we wanted them and we were then very rushed down to the ceremony. I don't feel like I got a chance to enjoy and take in our actual wedding. But hey, what weddings do go ahead without a hitch??! We then had a meal at one of the restaurants later that evening and were treated like royalty!! (all of the waiting staff are positively lovely! I cannot fault them at all!)

They did try and make me pay for the room and wedding again on check-out. And I hate to think what would have happened if I didn't have any form of proof of payment with me, which took a while to sort. It was quite nervewracking as there was no way on Earth I could have afforded to pay it again and I did feel like they were questioning me honesty a little bit. But it was all sorted in the end and we weren't made to do earn our keep and do the dishes for a year!

And the last thing which really did upset me was we had some money stolen from our safe. We accidently left our safe door open one evening when we went shopping. And I had no idea until we were counting out our money designated for the photographer and it was $200 short. I listened to a voicemail on the phone later that evening which told us our safe was open the night beore and they'd closed it. Which made me wonder if some money had in fact gone missing (it was in $100 bills - easy for someone to take and think no one would realise). But I couldn't check until I could get access to my receipts when we were back home, and I didn't want to even believe that something could happen at such a wonderful hotel. But our receipts show from the amount that we changed up that we were definitely short which left us short for the rest of our trip and having to use our credit card for any purchases. I had reported it to the hotel now that I'm home but obviously whoever had access to our room that night has denied it. I wouldn't have said anything unless I was 100% sure, and it's a shame that it happened.

Given the negatives, I would probably return to the hotel again. It's a lovely place, where you are treated like royalty and very relaxing if you're after a relaxing vacation. I will put up some photo's when I get a chance!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a penthouse suite!!! We stayed in Room 241
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lilrockingal

Our guests’ safety is up most important for us. The hotel counts with high safety security standards and procedures for the comfort of our guests. One of those standards includes the presence of electronic safe boxes free of charge on each suite. Its use is recommended as a preventive action, and this is a general policy in most hotels in the world. For this reason, the hotel cannot be held responsible for any object kept outside the safe deposit box. Moreover, is our duty to emphasize that all our employees go through a strict inspection every day before their departure.

Guildford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

just returned from a week at this fantastic hotel.The food,staff and facilities were first class.
I can't think of anything to complain about!We had an 8 month old child with us and there were other family groups with small children.The staff could not have beehive nicer or more helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jayGuildford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

To sum up the stay - perfect.
We stayed in consentida 4 which is one of the best casitas with a nice view of the sea. 2 level place with a jacuzzi, humongous bed, plunge pool on the roof, & fully stocked mini bar with quality alcohol. Worth the extra.

On so many levels, this place is perfect. The best place I've ever stayed (and I have travelled to over 40 countries so far)
There are multiple restaurants which all serve gourmet food with exceptional service. There are multiple bars and a sushi bar. The room was immaculate.

One of the things that sets this place apart for me is the staff. Incredible service and very friendly, helpful staff.

For example, there is a waiter Noe who was working in the poolside restaurant who night after night, gave exceptional service and went above & beyond to ensure perfect meals. From setting our own table with rose petals, to cooking flaming fancy stuff on a portable stove next to the table and organizing special dishes. All the while just being a friendly, welcoming person. Incredible.

Experience of a lifetime. Must stay here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,085 reviews
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!