“Loving the Beloved”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Richmond, California
“Loving the Beloved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We will be going back to the Beloved Hotel! We go often to Mexico for vacations (Pacific Coast - Nayarit, Puerto Vallarta, Baja Sur) but this was our first time in Cancun. The hotel accomodations are absolutely awesome, rooms are big, modern, all the gadgets, really nice and luxurious. We got one of the rooms on the first floor that opens directly into the pool - totally awesome experience.
The best part though, was the service - any request was addressed immediately and they would always follow up to see if we were happy with whatever had been delivered. The food was to die for - we really dig trying stuff and they had lots of Mexican (real Mexican not the usual stuff) food, really complex sauces, combinations of sweet and savory, spicy and sweet, you name it.
Special mention should go to the folks that waited for us at the Lupita restaurant - Emiliano, Mario, Mary. They demonstrated that they are not into this job as just another gig, but instead they love what they do. Sharing local recipes and interesting places to go to, recommending stuff that was not on the menu, getting the Chef (who is out of this world BTW) to come out of the kitchen to inquire on what we had in mind and then preparing it specially for us!
We will go back any day - absolutely awesome place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jose m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,090)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

First time in Cancun, first time all-inclusive - didn't really know what to expect. This place is great. If anything the website doesn't the rooms justice. We had a beachfront casita with roof top plunge pool - the room was well above expectations, lovely view, comfortable bed, plenty of space. The food is very good - four choices of restaurant - Aroma served excellent breakfast and had a very good evening menu. Breakfast at El mar is a Mexican tasting menu which was also really interesting. Despite being all inclusive the quality of the food and drink is high and the house wines were perfectly good (the sparkling was very nice). Free water sports a big hit with the kids. The staff are outstandingly helpful, efficient and friendly - a real pleasure to be around. Will be back

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Garyballard
Lockport, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I traveled with my daughter (13) during our spring break, the last full week of March. The resort is lovely.

Room: 5 Stars! We had a beachfront casita with a private pool, Tierna 1. I can't possibly express how much we LOVED the room. The pictures on the website were accurate. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, not hard at all like many other reviewers have experienced. Yes, the bathroom lacks privacy, but we knew that going in. The minibar was restocked daily; there were 5 bottles of unopened liquor in the room and some snacks. Our favorite aspect of the room was the patio with the outdoor bed/lounger and, of course, the pool. The pool was approximately 9 x 20 feet and ranged from 3 to 4 feet in depth. For our casita, there was always a shaded area in the pool which was nice to get a break from the sun. In addition, our view was of Isla Grill. Initially, I thought that would bother us, but not at all. We enjoyed the music playing at the restaurant and the wonderful aromas that drifted our way. We also received beach/bar service right on our patio! I would book this room again without hesitation! Recommendation: bring a blowup pool floatie from home. We bought one from the gift shop (pricey). By the way, the gift shop does have a bike pump to blow it up.

Grounds: 5 Stars! It was as gorgeous as the photos suggest...and fragrant! I don't know if it was the ocean breezes or the shrubbery they have planted, but the resort smells incredible. The lobby has a light floral smell. The iguana sightings never got old.

Pools: 4 Stars. The main pool is the smallest. It is heated and a popular place to hang out. There was live music a couple of times during the week around 3:00-4:00ish which was nice. It, of course, has the swim up bar (which was overrun with the under 10 crowd). The other two pools are larger and quieter. Some say they too are heated, but I'm not sure I believe that. The water was chilly. The pool loungers were always taken very early in the morning (by 6:30 AM). I refused to get up early to reserve one, so many times we just hung out on our patio with the pool there. You could get a lounger on the beach most anytime. Towels were usually gone my midday, but in all fairness, many families had at least 6-10 on each lounger. Plus, I know we had about 4 on our patio with our lounger and pool. We didn't find it to be a problem that bothered us.

Beach: 3 Stars, but we knew this going in. The beach is small, crammed with loungers, and has lots of seaweed washing up. We, unfortunately, experienced a windy week where everyday was a red or yellow flag day. The water was quite choppy and cold, and we weren't able to try out the water sports.

Restaurants: 4 Stars. We experienced some very good meals and some complete fails. We found the restaurant service friendly and thought the food came out of the kitchen in a timely manner. We never felt that our service lacked or that we waited too long to be served. I thought the wine in the restaurants was drinkable (unlike the wine in the minibar), but not fantastic. The resort, by the way, makes a wonderful mojito! For breakfast, our favorite restaurant was Isla Grill. We tried the buffet at Aroma once, but it didn't have the typical American breakfast we enjoy (pancakes, french toast, bacon, etc.). Some said we could have ordered it there, but that kind of takes away from the quick buffet concept. We preferred Isla Grill with the gorgeous view of the beach. We ate most of our lunches at Isla Grill as well. For dinner, our favorite was Aroma: fantastic service and very good food. We ate there 3 nights. We had 1 dinner at El Mar which was just so-so. Same with Isla Grill, it was just okay. Our least favorite meal was Lupita, just not our flavor style (the service there was great, though). We had the sushi at the Lupita Lounge a couple of nights. It was good - not big city fantastic (We're from the Chicago area.), but good.

Room Service: 5 Stars! We (mostly my daughter) ordered room service at least once a day...sometimes for breakfast...sometimes for lunch...sometimes for an afternoon snack...once for dinner...sometimes for a late night snack. It was always delivered within 30 minutes, and the food was always hot if it was supposed to be. Many times we had it delivered to our patio and many times to the xbox in the room. I loved having that area to put the dirty dishes once we were done. The room service menu did get tiring after a few days.

Spa: 5 Stars! While I admit to having limited spa experience, my daughter and I LOVED our spa day. We did the water circuit which was quite an experience and did the family experience massages. She is still talking about it her massage. We did book in advance to take advantage of the 20% discount.

Nightlife: 4 Stars. We knew there wasn't much in the way of nightlife at the resort and were okay with that. After swimming and sunning all day, we aren't up late at night. Thursday night was a bonfire with Mayan fire dancers on the beach. They even had marshmallows for the kids to roast before the show got started. That was a great experience. Other nights, we rented a DVD from the concierge ($5/dvd). They actually have a great selection of movies. There was music playing at the Lupita Lounge most nights, but we never made it there.

We used the resort transportation to and from the airport. I'm on the fence with this one. While it was nice to ride in a private vehicle with chilled washcloths and water, our pick up from the airport didn't go well. We weren't greeted with someone with a sign with our name. After 20 minutes of looking, we eventually found him no where near where others found their rides, but rather talking on his phone with his clipboard (with our names on it) facing the ground. He kept apologizing that they were having car troubles and it would be awhile. What other choice did we have? We waited another 45 minutes for our pick up outside the airport...frustrating. Our return to the airport went much better. The driver arrived early, waited for us to leave the lobby, and was extremely friendly. For the extra money, though, I would skip it next time because of the arrival problems.

We did go over to Isla Mujeres one day. We took a taxi to the Ultramar ferry terminal, ferried over, and rented a go-cart to explore the island, shop a bit, and enjoy lunch on the beach. It's super easy to do this yourself without an organized trip through the resort. I wanted to be on our own schedule. We left around 9 AM and returned to the resort around 3:30. If you are looking for an excursion, but want to avoid hours of transport, this is a great option.

Something to keep in mind if you are traveling without kids - there are TONS of young kids at this resort. We can't go to adult only resorts since my daughter is 13, but we found the crying infants and toddlers bothersome. We have been to many family oriented all inclusive resorts before, and I think the difference is this: the kids club is for kids age 4 and up. This meant the infants and toddlers were with their parents all day (who probably didn't want to spend hours in the room with napping kids). Instead, the overtired infants and toddlers cried and whined. I know this does not bother some, but it is worth mentioning. This is not the fault of the resort, just an unintended consequence of being a family resort without a kid's club for infants and toddlers. I will mention, however, that the children were well-behaved, just whiny.

Another something outside of the resort's fault, on our 5th day, a boisterous, raucous wedding party took over the resort...the kind of people who pour drinks over each other's heads in the pool, chant "eat, eat, eat" while pounding on the table at lunch, etc. I've never heard so many people shouting variations of the f word before with no regard to anyone else at the resort. There was even one night around 12:30-1:00 AM that they were screaming, shouting, and running throughout the resort until security/resort workers started shouting at them to stop. It was awful, but could certainly happen at any resort. That's when we decided we would take the crying/whining infants and toddlers any day over that group!

Overall - Beloved is a fantastic resort! I know others have complained about poor service, but we didn't experience that at all. We did tip, but I didn't see that service was different for anyone around us. I suppose we all have different expectations.

Room Tip: The beach front casita with private pool is the way to go!
8 Thank Kristen W
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Beloved Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

After a tough few months, my husband and I needed to recharge together. Friends recommended The Beloved to us, and we stayed for five nights. It was just what we were seeking. The service was exquisite. Everyone there seemed very invested in us having a good experience as evidenced by their attentive service and desire for feedback. At times it felt as if there were two employees for every guest, and we really appreciated the kind attention.

The spa is a thing of beauty! Any service in the spa, including a manicure, comes with a free hour-long hydrotherapy ritual. Hydrotherapy is administered in a gorgeous indoor/outdoor area in specially designed pool and spa areas. We felt great after the service. As newlyweds, we chose the Novios Ritual massage and spa treatment, which was fun and very romantic. I had never seen a spa bath for two--it was great. The manicure I had was quite expertly done, too. Jose was very helpful in describing the services to us.

We loved our room, though it's true that there is no privacy in the bathroom. We spent a lot of time on the balcony, enjoying the view and the evening air. It was also a great place to enjoy room service--which is available at no extra charge. The turn-down service is surprisingly excellent. I loved having the room cleaned at the end of the day, and getting a scent of the day along with a newsletter that gave a rundown of the special events for the next day.

The breakfast buffet at Aroma was an extravagant treat every morning. We also enjoyed the themed events that seemed well timed, like tacos on the beach as a lunch option one day. David, and the guys who run the beach services, like Alex and Edouardo, are terrific at their jobs. If you can, try to get a cabana to enjoy a more private beach experience with excellent views. We were so happy with the view and the service. They brought drinks, food, and dessert throughout the day.

The public pools aren't huge, but they are nicely maintained. It was fun having drinks at the swim up bar. We were able to talk to other guests in a relaxed space and enjoy floating around with our delicious, fresh banana smoothies.

This is a place for quiet. As mentioned in other reviews, there are definitely children of all ages here, but even though we don't have kids, I found them very pleasant company as they were really well behaved. After five nights in the restaurants and the beach, I can't even say I noticed their presence so much. There are special areas for kids at the hotel, and so those who really wanted to play in the water and shriek had a place to do that.

Those who really want to get drunk and go crazy will not have a good time at the Beloved. That's not the vibe here and neither guests nor management welcome the big-time partiers. There was a wedding party that arrived during our stay who was clearly looking for the "traditional Cancun party experience" and were highly frustrated with the response they received. Management was really tactful and professional in dealing with a group that was swarming the bars and the food, vomiting in the pool, and shouting at each other.

We loved our experience here. It felt very personal, and even though we were at a resort, it never felt crowded or loud. The staff was able to recognize us by name by the time we left. We were able to spend a lot of private time in public spaces, and that felt great. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: The casitas provided privacy and good views. The one-story casita has a larger, deeper private pool...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chrisplu
los angleles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The hotel looks beautiful, nice beach, lovely pools but the service totally turned our whole family off on this trip. This hotel is also totally dedicated to families with children, especially toddlers. If you are looking for any evening activities this is not the hotel for you.
We arrived at 6:00 a.m. and did not receive a room until after 5:30 p.m. We were told that the delay in getting rooms was because they were overbooked. They said they were working on getting us the two rooms we reserved through a travel agent. I was originally told a room would be ready at noon, which I went back to check, no room. I was told to check at 2, no room and told not to come back to the lobby until after 3. I went at three and was totally ignored for over an hour as I stood in front of the check in desk. Finally, a person came to help me and again I was told they only had one room available. Only after I explained repeatedly, that I had watched them give rooms to other people before fulfilling our reservation did we finally get two rooms. The rooms were nice, but not once did any employee, manager or staff apologize for our inconvenience. This really put a bad taste in my mouth but I knew we had spent a lot of money for this trip so I put on a happy face and we got ready for dinner. What a disappointment. The food was no better than what you would have on a cruise buffet, and the drinks were terrible unless you ordered a shot or a well drink. After dinner we went looking for something to do, there is no night time activities at all. The entire resort is quiet at 8 pm and any noise is highly looked down on, although children scream all day long from all areas of the resort. Speaking of children, which I have two of my own that went with us, they rule the resort. No pool including the bar pool is adult only, there is a large area that is a children play area, no adult play area or night club. Dirty diapers were constantly seen around the bar pool, in fact a child was walking around the pool area without a diaper and urinated and pooped on the patio and the guest who complained got yelled at by the grandparent of the child, ridiculous!
There is so much more I could complain about, but the main point is if you want good food and good fun, this is not the place for you. If you have small children and want a nice place to get away and have quiet evenings, the this MAY be the place to go. There are so many other places in Cancun, I am sure you can find someplace better than this though.

10 Thank lmesse
First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your discontent to our attention.

We are saddened to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

However we are certainly baffled by your check-in experience. As in mostly all the hotels and resorts the check in starts at 3pm, however if the room is available before, we will not hesitate in offer it to you. In the meantime, our guests are more than welcome to leave their luggage with the bellboy and enjoy the restaurants and resort facilities. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

On the other hand, we would like to mention that The Beloved Hotel welcomes singles, couples and families with children. In fact, the hotel has specific recreation areas for our little guests.
At The Beloved Hotel we are committed to provide excellent facilities and accommodations for the comfort of our guests. A continuous supervision is held in all hotel areas in order to keep the hotel high standards. We regret not having any record about the incident described in your review.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

The Beloved Hotel definitely is on their game. The staff was welcoming and helpful. They upgraded both of our rooms and gave us spa discounts because the rooms weren't ready upon early arrival. The bartenders and wait staff were excellent at suggesting cocktails and menu items. We had one meal flop and we're apologized too repeatedly. The managers take the guest comments very seriously. I would return and recommend my friends and family to go to the Beloved without hesitation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tonya G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We recently spent a week with our 7 year-old son and baby. Overall we had a wonderful time and I will explain my title below...

What makes the resort a 5 star:
- Georgeous property: WOW! The Beloved is very beautiful from the buildings to the pools to the grounds. The grounds were always meticiulously maintained. Extra bonus points for all the lizards which call the property home- my son loved that.
- Drinks: Beer and mixed drinks were wonderful. At the Lupita Lounge they have 5 types of margaritas and mojitos. Yes, as others reviewed, the wine was not good which is very typical of Mexico and the islands. We go south a lot and I highly recommend avoiding the wine. Why drink wine when there is delicious beer and mixed drinks?
- Food: Overall is very good. I recommend aroma for breakfast. It is a buffet but you can order whatever you like and they will accomodate. I liked the pool restaurant for lunch. There have been complaints about not enough food etc. but I think that is becuase this is a small resort and they are not cooking food for 1000 people! So if you like massive buffets and eating your face off this is not the place for you!
- Kids Club: The staff is really great (Africa, Wendy and Valeria) they were very concerned about my son's happiness! The club is stocked with lots of crafts, toys and games. Yes the activities are indoors mostly but given the heat we experienced it was great to give my son a break from the sun. We had a hard time keeping our 7 year-old out of the club.
- Rooms: To quote my son, the rooms are "ginormous". For a family of 4 we had plenty of space. We had a gorgesous view from our 3rd floor room in the second block. I don't know why pepole complain about the bathrooms they were large and well appointed. Just to manage expectations the furniture is a bit dated and could use a refresh. Beds aren't really that comfy either.
- Size of resort: Very small! Great for young kids- we were able to give our son a lot of freedom walking around the property. There aren't a lot of guests which is great and we never had trouble getting our pick of beds by the pool (note, our baby was up at 5 am every day so that might be why). Also a lot of the staff knew us by name or face by day 3 which was nice.
- No annoying night life: All I can say is thank-you for not subjecting the entire resort to crappy bands and performances! It was quiet at night so we could all sleep. There was a fire show on the beach one night and my son loved that.
Areas for improvement:
- Service: Sometimes the service was over the top amazing (waiters Antonio and Eduardo for example) and you felt really taken care of. Other times it was a disaster and I found the only way to get action was to be very assertive- which I don't like having to do on vacation. They did a survey of the guests half-way through our vacation and the restaurant manager followed-up with us to get more feedback. This was impressive.

We will likely be back in 2015. I would recommend this resort for people with kids under age 10. Older kids and teenagers might be bored.

Room Tip: Juniour suites are very large. Building 2 and 3 seem like the best options.
3 Thank Kimphilcole
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 182 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,227 reviews
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!