“A Slice of Heaven”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have been to 6 different all-inclusives in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Tulum and none can compare to The Beloved! I must tell you that this hotel is far superior even to the Ritz Carlton in Cancun and I never thought I'd say that about any hotel. I had a lot of questions about The Beloved before going and hope to answer some of those for potential travelers as well.

Which Room?
If your budget allows for it, book the 2-story beach-front casita. Our room was so amazing that I was ready to move right in! The first floor included a giant king-size bed and plenty of pillows (in fact, there is a "pillow menu" so you can select exactly what you want), a large walk in closet, a shower beyond my wildest dreams, and a giant jacuzzi tub that fills like fountain with water coming in from all directions. The top floor included an outdoor bed and plunge pool with waterfall. The beauty and peacefulness of this room can not be overstated!

Dining and Dress Code:
The only buffet you will encounter is at Aroma and it is only offered for breakfast. (We have survived many a buffet in Mexico...some better than others.) All other meals are sit-down. Unlike many AIs, all restaurants at TB have a dress code. You will not be able to wander into a restaurant in your dripping swim suit, though you may eat on the beach in your suit and the restaurant on the beach allows you to eat there with a cover-up. The dress code is called "casual elegance": Dresses, skirts, and capris are fine for women. Flip flops are not encouraged, but dressy sandals are. For men: bermuda shorts or long pants and a button down shirt with sleeves must be worn. Sleeveless shirts are frowned upon for men (in general...who wants to see a man in a bro-tank at dinner?). You do not need reservations for dinner as you do at many other AIs, you can come and go as you please and as many times as you please. Room service is offered 24 hours a day. If you do not want to see someone when you order, they place your meal in the 'x-box' by the door and you retrieve it from inside. When you finish, you place the dishes back inside and it is removed within the hour. I think this concept is genius! If you eat at The Lupita restaurant, please request Victor. I don't think we have ever had better service or conversation with a waiter before. He is fantastic and loves to describe the food to you.

The beach is beautiful! People are pretty smart about getting the better beach chairs and outdoor beds by going early and putting their towels down. We were able to reserve a cabana for only 45 dollars a day. The cabana came with an ice bucket and frequent water refills, a waiter for the day, a beautiful fruit bowl arrangement, and mineral mist for your face!

This hotel leaves you wanting for NOTHING! Even at the restaurants, you will be asked if you want something that is not on the menu and they will offer to prepare whatever you wish! Everyone that works at the Beloved seems to be very proud to be a part of this hotel. The pride in the grounds and the beauty of the rooms is breathtaking.

You will NOT be disappointed! One word of warning, if you are used to the "party vibe" and looking for the underlying sound of bass at 2am, this is not your resort! It is beyond peaceful at The Beloved. This is not a criticism, but more of an FYI, as we were a bit surprised by this after having been to hotels that seemed to have more of a party atmosphere. This hotel is spa like in every way! You will be greeted with champagne and cool towels and the rest of your stay will just get better and better! Enjoy!

Room Tip: If your budget allows, by al means choose the 2 story casita with private plunge pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gretchen M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,950)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

As always, I worked with the great folks at TripGuy.com, who recommended The Beloved Hotel for a four-day, quiet getaway with my wife and kids (ages 9 and 5). This was our 5th trip to Mexico arranged by TripGuy, and again, their recommendations were spot-on--they know these properties well and if you tell them what you're looking for, they'll steer you in the perfect direction. They helped me arrange a limo to-and-from the airport through the always-reliable Lomas Travel, and the ride from the Cancun airport was about half an hour.

The lobby of the resort is rather serene and has more of an elegant-home feel rather than the "tropical hotel" vibe you might find elsewhere, echoing the soft whites you'll find throughout the resort. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating, but we got the standard "your room is not quite ready" speech and we were directed to have lunch so they could prepare our room. Nothing new here, as this has always been the case no matter where we stayed in Mexico.

We stayed in the two-story casita. Nice room with a great view of the pool and ocean, but I did find it rather cramped for the price. We didn't use the in-room whirlpool during our stay (since the pools, ocean, and rooftop plunge pool were where we spent most of our time), and it takes up a big corner of the room--probably room that would have been better spent on a table where we could all sit and have breakfast in the morning, since the small tables in the room and on the balcony only had two chairs each. There were double sinks in the bathroom, but no true privacy in the room, since there's no bathroom door. We found ourselves getting changed in the closet. Also, while the shower is huge, there's almost no way to keep water from streaming under the glass shower door, so expect some soaked rolled up towels. The bedding was firm, but the pillows are awful--tiny and thin. We asked for another full set to be brought to our room, but it still wasn't enough. I did not sleep well during this stay.

As for the plunge pool on the second floor, the kids liked it for the first half hour of our arrival, but the novelty wore off quickly, since it's essentially an oversized whirlpool, and the water was the same temperature as the other pools/ocean, so the only real draw was the view and the privacy. The bed on the roof is a nice touch, and a great place to relax at night under the pergola and stars. If we were to visit again, I'd probably opt for the first-floor casitas instead, which seem to offer the same basic layout, but have their own larger pools just outside the balcony.

Regarding in-room amenities, we found that our minibar wasn't restocked daily--we called on the third day of our visit to have them come by. But it was great to have in-room pod-style coffee and some top shelf liquor (Cuervo 1800 reposado and 12-year Fleur de caña rum). Also nice to have a closet with outside access that allowed you to clear dishes from your room.

The resort itself has three pools, two of which are in the more central courtyard and go largely unused, since it's the same rectangular layout as the "main" pool, which has a swim-up bar and is much more accessible to the ocean. In fact, we saw no reason to use the other pools during our stay, and they were pretty much empty. Shame they have to keep these open, but I'm sure many guests are drawn in by the prospect of "three pools."

The food was phenomenal; the best of any resort we stayed at. The service was hit or miss. There were a few waiters who got it, and were anticipating our next move. Others struggled with forgetting items, or not bringing drinks for half an hour. (Again, typical of our experience in Mexico). A side order of sausage at breakfast came as a plate with two hot dogs. It was clear, though, that management was working with the staff on this, as we found many of the waiters repeating our orders back to us to make sure they had everything right.

Likewise, the beach was the best we've seen in the region. Fine, clean sand. Clear water. Very few rocks, and very swimmable, especially for the kids. There weren't as many beach casitas as we've seen elsewhere, and the private ones needed special reservations (I assume you had to pay extra--we didn't bother), but that's likely due to the amount of oceanfront real estate of the property. We didn't really have any trouble finding shade on the beach otherwise. And in spite of spending 4+ hours a day on the beach, we only had waiters come by twice. It wasn't particularly crowded while we were there, but we would have expected more attention.

Regarding entertainment, we only went to the fire show, which the kids loved (as well as the beachfront campfire/marshmallows that proceeded it). If there's a wedding going on while you're there, be prepared to listen to loud music until 11 pm at the beach--including some non-radio-friendly versions of DMX songs.

We'd go again. Very nice resort. Quiet. Clean. Maybe not a place you'd want to spend a full week (it would get a little dull if you don't venture away from the resort) but for 4-5 days, very enjoyable.

Room Tip: We stayed in a two-story beachfront casita. The plunge pool on the roof went largely unused, and we...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sixtoe
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Okay, so I'm laid around the pool at the Beloved right now, so this is a real time review.
From the moment we arrived, the staff have gone out if their way to be helpful. Cold towels and refreshing drinks on arrival, check in was efficient then we were escorted to our room and given a quick tour. We have a penthouse room and it is excellent. I agree with other comments that the beds are hard, but you will never suit everyone with that, so that is not a complaint. The room is well stocked with toiletries, drinks, snacks, wine and spirits. We asked to swap the gin for whiskey which was accommodated, sometimes the wine didn't get replaced, but ask and it's done. There are towels provided for the pool / beach.
Kids club runs from 8am to 8pm and provides good activities.
Service in the restaurants has been varied and the food is good to excellent. Breakfast at El Mar is a delight, offering a different tasting menu each day (Daniel is the perfect host as is Victor at Lupita).
There is entertainment every evening in the Lupita lounge which is usually easy listening musicians / singers, which fits very well with the relaxed setting.
There are some daytime activities, volleyball aquarobics etc if you want them, but there is no pushy entertainment teams as at some resorts.
It is waiter service around the pool and on the beach. Drinks and food if you really can't drag yourself away from your sun bed, although I recommend drinks from the swim up bar, especially if Omar is on duty.
The hotel is clean and well maintained, the team if gardeners and maintainence men work tirelessly to keep it looking its best.
The spa is excellent and be sure to arrive early for the agua viva hydrotherapy circuit. We had an issue over our spa booking and also with the pool on our terrace, but the hotel management resolved both these very well. I saw a couple of people expressing their displeasure at certain things and quickly the management stepped in. Seems like they want to do whatever they can to please. If you need something, ask. If you're not happy, tell them. This hotel really does want you to enjoy your stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank mamacoupe
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Apologies it's taken over a year to write this! We were moved to this hotel by air Canada after a nightmare at an alternative 5 star resort in cancun which was party central for spring breakers. So having paid a little extra we went from hell to heaven in a 30 minute taxi ride. From the welcome drink and cool towel awaiting us at the entrance doors to the wonderful smelling (I'm not kidding) reception everything was simply stunning. We initially had a swim up room but paid to upgrade to a suite with a huge terrace and private pool after a few days. We did find the pool next to the initial room to be very cold which along with the fact that they need more loungers around the main pool was our only criticism. It may struggle as it becomes more popular as an all inclusive family resort as the main pool really is small. That said we needed some peace and quiet coupled with luxury surroundings, great food and great service and we certainly found that at the Beloved. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we would go back in a heartbeat. Simply put it was the nicest resort we have ever been too.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Charlieangel123
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel with our two little kids. The building, the beach and the pool were beautiful. Also every bathroom was cleaned up nicely. Especially, every restaurant was kids-friendly. Our younger kid was happy to have a high chair in every restaurant, and the older kids also was happy when they prepared our special order for her preference. The food is delicious. Also we liked the daily event on the beach. Every parsons in the hotel were friendly and polite. But everything of our stay was not perfect. We had noisy neighbors next to the door for three nights. We claimed it to the hotel, and I think they did their best to attend to this though the complete solution was for that neighbors to leave the hotel. However, at the end day of our stay, the hotel gave a little gift, sweets and sparkling wine, in our room. I admired their way to think about hospitality and I really recommend this hotel to my friends.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed for five days, the hotel is very beautiful. I am writing a very detailed review because I feel that if the hotel could just improve slightly, it would have been a paradise. This place is so nice and has so much potential, improvements are not required but certainly desired. And if you are booking anything with seasons tours which is on the hotel's website as well as in their main lobby, please read the bottom of my review.
I start with all the good things. Lupita restaurant serves excellent food, really really good. Its a pity they only open for dinner else we would have eaten there all day. Must try cochinita pibil, lamb mole, scallops with zucchini ragout, crab meat stuffed in pepper just to mention a few (sorry I cant remember all the Mexican names of the dishes). The waiters Mario and Victor were very friendly. Service was super fast.
My 4 year old loved the kids club, they had lots of toys and different activities.
Another good thing about the hotel is that it is not crowded. You don't wait very long for anything.
The hotel is beautifully built, I lived in a 2 storey casita with a pool at the balcony. The water pressure in the showers were the best so far I had in the whole of the American continent. The balcony pool has a few dead insects, its not too pleasant to use. There was a stain on the bed when we checked in, but housekeeping quickly cleaned it so its not a big deal. Furniture are new, TV is big, everything was comfortable. Laundry service was not included and is quite expensive - which was a bummer as the weather and the activities meant we had lots of clothes that needs to be washed.
Mosquito is a problem. Bring repellents, oils whatever you need to cope with them.
The swimming pools are very shallow, difficult to actually swim, but most of the guests are not swimming. Breakfast is ok. Ribs at the grill restaurant is quite horrible, look and taste like really cheap barbecue sauce from the bottle. Spa looks great but the therapies are just ok, not as great as how the spa looks. Gym is very well equipped. All spa treatment comes with a hydrotherapy, which is in one hour a series of five minutes type of treatment. So you have to hustle through like 10 different stations in five minutes i.e. sauna, steam, shower, various pool treatment, massage etc. Was good variety but not my kind as its a bit over "busy" having to do so many things in a short period.
Overall service of the hotel is ok. My problems are more that the opening hours of the restaurants are quite limited. Breakfast stops at 11am. Once the clock strikes 11, the service changed from friendly to wanting you out immediately. I can understand this, but its a bit too obvious and drastic for my liking, given the amount of money they charge. This is probably management's problem as they put workers on the clock. Similarly the natura bar only opens for a few hours in the middle of the day, which is a pity you cant get a smoothie early in the morning or late at night without going into a restaurant. They mentioned dress codes in the restaurants, but I don't see it imposed.
Room service available 24 hours is a plus, although the menu is quite limited. The pepito was good the first time I ordered it, so I ordered the same thing again, but I got something very different. Strange.
There were 2 poor experience. First was the check in. I reserved and paid for a 2 double bed suite. At check in, we were offered this "promotion", to pay I believe another USD 360 for an upgraded suite with a pool at the balcony, but king bed. I declined it because firstly I wasn't prepared to pay and we preferred 2 doubles with us 2 adults and 1 kid. Then we were given the upgrade for free. But it was not really an upgrade - because we wanted 2 double beds. Then we were informed that there were no more rooms with 2 double beds available. So they actually didn't have available what we already paid for, and yet tried to upsell us. Since it was an "upgrade" (and probably the other choice would have been to find another hotel) we settled for it. As you have read earlier, the pool at the balcony had many dead insects, it is actually not useful. So in my terms, I was not better off. Despite all these we enjoyed our holiday and I almost forgot about it until my second incident at the lobby.
We booked the airport transit, both ways, with seasons tour - which was in the hotel website. It is about double the price of what we could otherwise get, but I thought we would prefer a company that was recommended by the hotel just in case things go wrong (flight delays etc), so I paid the premium. At arrivals it was fine, although it took a while for us to find them, and it took them a while to get the car ready for us. They asked us to reconfirm our departure transit with them at the hotel lobby. So we did this the day before. All was fine. They told us that they would pick us up 3 hours before the flight just in case to allow for delay. Only we were to found out that this allowance is actually for them because they turned up some 30/40 minutes late.
We were ready at the lobby at 8am and they are supposed to pick us up at 810am. At 802am (you will see why I remembered the time so accurately), I enquired at the booth of seasons tour at the hotel lobby about our car. Their representative pointed out to us, looking at the clock, we are 8 minutes early, and should just wait. So waited at the lobby we did, until 830am. The car didn't turn up. I had to go and ask the rep again (he was just sitting there in front of us but didn't seemed to even find out what has happened to our car). So this time, he checked his computer and confirmed we had a booking. Then he made a call, and reassured me that the car was coming. Another 10 minutes passed and no car. Now we were getting nervous. Are we going to miss our flight? Our hotel is quite out of the way, so if we needed another taxi it would take some time for it to arrive. At this time the hotel concierge, seeing that we have been there for so long, approached us. He then went and speak with the unconcerned season tours rep (and they probably checked again). Miscommunication is not the issue as my wife spoke Spanish. The car finally came and we probably left by around 845am. We only made it because we had priority access and didn't have to queue at the normal check in line.
The driver told us that he was delayed in his previous assignment, hence why he was late. My question to the seasons tour management is that, since we paid such a premium, why did you have to assign us a driver that had a tight schedule? Furthermore this is an airport transfer, it could have easily cost us lots of money to rebook this and the connecting flights, not to mention the hassle. My next issue is with the seasons tour rep. If he knows the car is coming late, why didn't he at least care to tell us? It would have been less agonizing if we know that there was certainty the car was coming, and what time it would arrive. My next question to the hotel. If seasons tour gives rubbish service, why do you recommend them on your website and why do you let them have a booth in your lobby?

Room Tip: I cant give much tip since the room that I booked wasn't available. I don't think paying mo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Nicholas Y
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I don t know who is writing these positive reviews but don t be fooled, go somewhere else.I have been to Cancun 5-6 times before so I can compare.We got the room which I don t think was cleaned at all after the previous guest hair on the floor,stained pillow ,dirty beachwear pushed in the sofa etc.Only downhill from here WiFi useless so slow,AC so-so,pool really warm ,no beach towels at 10am.Food subpar portions tiny (I am 155lbs ) shrimp as a main course consists of 3 medium shrimps.They work no gusto they lie that no place in the restaurant when half is empty.Construction workers all day etc.That s from the top of my head but I could go on

• Stayed: August 2014
8  Thank Zsolt B
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Beloved Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this discontent to our attention. We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that the service of our colleagues was not of your full satisfaction. Although each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

The Beloved Hotel counts with the highest standards of verification on every area to ensure that our guests enjoy products and services, in consistency with the hotel stars. The Hotel follows the necessary procedures and a continuous supervision is held by recognized institutions in order to monitor that the international standards as a luxury hotel are met throughout the property.

We also regret our food portions were not of your satisfaction but, as an all inclusive resort, we don’t limit our service.

Moreover we are baffled by your review since there is no construction within our Hotel or next to. Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@belovedhotels.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!